PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Rays

LITTLE NELL
04-03-2013, 06:32 PM
After the Sox the Rays are my 2nd favorite team but I wonder what some of you think of their chances this year. The hype in the Tampa papers yesterday along with the pre games shows were just about proclaiming the Rays as World Champions. I just don't see it. They lost a damn good center fielder in Upton and their second best starter in Shields. Sam Fuld was the starting right fielder in the opener, wow. After Longoria and Zobrist there is just not a lot to get excited about with the offense. If they have a chance at the postseason they will have to pitch lights out.

soxnut1018
04-03-2013, 06:42 PM
I love their pitching, but their lineup is abysmal. If they're going to make the playoffs, Wil Myers is going to have to be a stud from the moment he's called up.

mzh
04-03-2013, 07:36 PM
I love their pitching, but their lineup is abysmal. If they're going to make the playoffs, Wil Myers is going to have to be a stud from the moment he's called up.
It seems like this is said every year, and they still manage to get it done. Even in the stacked AL East I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

DSpivack
04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
It seems like this is said every year, and they still manage to get it done. Even in the stacked AL East I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

I agree. The Blue Jays should be much better and the Red Sox marginally better than last season, but the Yankees are a mess and the O's won't be as lucky in close games than they were last season. I think the Rays are still the team to be beat in the division.

Red Barchetta
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I think the Rays will always have a strong on-field product with Madden managing the team. They seem to lose players and bounce back with a level of consistency.

I think the pre-season hype is based more on the problems the Red Sox and Yankees have vs. the status of the Rays.

Just like Baltimore last year, I expect another dark horse contender out of the AL East this year - The Blue Jays!

vinny
04-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Stay classy, Rays fans...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHAcdD_CUAAXisT.jpg:large

doublem23
04-04-2013, 11:20 AM
In my opinion, the Rays are clearly the favorites in the AL East.

TheVulture
04-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Stay classy, Rays fans...

Wow.

Bobby Thigpen
04-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Because obviously no one has ever acted or had signs that were inappropriate at USCF or any other MLB ballpark.

RKMeibalane
04-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Because obviously no one has ever acted or had signs that were inappropriate at USCF or any other MLB ballpark.

Not the point.

Bobby Thigpen
04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Not the point.
What is the point other than trying to assert superiority?

If that's not the point, you could've just said- This sign is pretty classless- instead of trying to indict all Rays fans in a thread about how the team may do in the standings this season.

RKMeibalane
04-04-2013, 01:20 PM
What is the point other than trying to assert superiority?

If that's not the point, you could've just said- This sign is pretty classless- instead of trying to indict all Rays fans in a thread about how the team may do in the standings this season.

I don't think the point was to put down Rays fans as much as it was to indicate that the sign wasn't necessary, and that making fun of someone who has been dead for several years doesn't serve a purpose.

doublem23
04-04-2013, 01:30 PM
I don't think the point was to put down Rays fans as much as it was to indicate that the sign wasn't necessary, and that making fun of someone who has been dead for several years doesn't serve a purpose.

I don't know, it's a little funny, right?

Although, a lot of the comedy comes from the fact that the Rays mascot is no longer the Devil Ray, but rather sunshine. Stupid Tampanians.

RKMeibalane
04-04-2013, 01:43 PM
I don't know, it's a little funny, right?

I'll admit that I cracked a smile, but I wouldn't have made the sign myself.

Although, a lot of the comedy comes from the fact that the Rays mascot is no longer the Devil Ray, but rather sunshine. Stupid Tampanians.

That's true, but there's nothing catchy about making a sign with a giant sun on it, and as sun exposure is known to cause skin cancer, one would hope no one makes a sign about that.

Bobby Thigpen
04-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Fair enough.

I just kind of take the stance that as a group of fans, we don't really have a lot of reason to put down many other fanbases.

RKMeibalane
04-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Fair enough.

I just kind of take the stance that as a group of fans, we don't really have a lot of reason to put down many other fanbases.

I'd agree with that, although I don't believe any group has reason to put down another.

SCCWS
04-04-2013, 04:38 PM
it is early but Boston maye be much improved. Dempster is their 5th starter, they have a very solid bullpen and they always find offense. If Ortiz comes back healthy they will be a force but without him they will lack a major LH threat. But they have added a lot of speed which is something they rarely have.
Blue Jays on paper look great as well.

DSpivack
04-04-2013, 05:00 PM
it is early but Boston maye be much improved. Dempster is their 5th starter, they have a very solid bullpen and they always find offense. If Ortiz comes back healthy they will be a force but without him they will lack a major LH threat. But they have added a lot of speed which is something they rarely have.
Blue Jays on paper look great as well.

Napoli, Victorino, Ortiz, Buchholz and Lackey all have health concerns.
Middlebrooks will probably regress from a good rookie season.
Lester has been declining for a few years.
That bullpen could be shaky.

I think they have enough to maybe finish in 3rd place, but not to contend for the division title.

LITTLE NELL
04-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Baltimore could be in there again, Cliff Davis is on fire, 3 HRs and 11 RBIs already.

DSpivack
04-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Baltimore could be in there again, Cliff Davis is on fire, 3 HRs and 11 RBIs already.

Problem with Baltimore is that they were something like 29-9 in one-run games last season. You can't count on that luck.

That said, while their rotation is questionable, they do have some studs waiting.