PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4-3 AJ Who? South Side Lumber Company 5; KC 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
04-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Nice job by the pitchers to overcome the errors.

amsteel
04-03-2013, 04:57 PM
The Sox have already achieved 1/3 of 2012's win total vs the Royals.

BigHurt3515
04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Awesome! 2 wins against the Royals already!?!?

Flowers is on pace for 162 home runs
Reed is on pace for 162 saves

Railsplitter
04-03-2013, 04:58 PM
:bandance::bandance:

If Twinkies and Blue Jays win, sole posession of first place.

soxnut1018
04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
We may never lose again.

Tlou_2lMLAc

soltrain21
04-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Clean up the errors. Other than that, hard to complain thus far.

doublem23

I could go for a hit with a runner in scoring position. Unless these guys are actually planning on hitting 648 home runs this season.

palehosepub
love beating those pesky Royals...

dwitt76
04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
love beating those pesky Royals...

Stole my line, hate the royals

harwar
04-03-2013, 05:02 PM
It's always nice to get the W .. it's been a long winter and i almost forgot how much i love this game ..

cards press box
04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
:winner

soxinem1
04-03-2013, 05:05 PM

This team can ill-afford to shoot itself with errors, or it will directly resemble the 1982 White Sox, a solid pitching and hitting team that just absolutely killed itself with numerous Iron Glove Awards.

Let the guys in DET do that, we cannot beat ourselves with self-made implosions.

BringBackBlkJack
04-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Can't complain about the power and the pen work. Time to bust out the brooms, boys!

SoxNation05
04-03-2013, 05:09 PM
I don't think errors will continue to be a problem. Alexei's and Viciedo's errors are both strictly on Vicideo. For whatever reason, he was just out of it that inning. Wise was kind of flukish as well. Maybe a gust of wind?

Very happy. Peavy came out firing on all cylinders, Dunn got on base 3 times, Reed went 1-2-3 in the 9th and the bullpen finished that tough 7th inning.

Nice win and the first series win of the year!

soxinem1
04-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Can't complain about the power and the pen work. Time to bust out the brooms, boys!

But that will make us just like the 2006, 2008 and 2010 White Sox, way too reliant on power!!!

Golden Sox
04-03-2013, 05:12 PM
The first place White Sox will bring out the broom tomorrow and will sweep the Royals. Kansas City will leave Chicago without any heart and they will continue to lose. I'm sure the Royals manager will be the first manager to be fired in 2013. Meanwhile the White Sox will continue to win game after game and will clinch a 2013 Playoff spot by Labor Day.

Crestani
04-03-2013, 05:15 PM
It was a nice win and the pitching has been outstanding. The home runs were nice, but I also would like to see runners score when in scoring position by line drives up the middle. We are not going to hit 4 home runs every game..!!

BigHurt3515
04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
It was a nice win and the pitching has been outstanding. The home runs were nice, but I also would like to see runners score when in scoring position by line drives up the middle. We are not going to hit 4 home runs every game..!!

Its the 2nd game of the season. We will win games this year in a variety of ways. Sometimes it will be because of home runs, sometimes it will be a shut out, sometimes it will be a blow out with no home runs.

gf2020
04-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Wire To Wire

EnglishChiSox
04-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Nice to see some good AB's, they wore away at the royals pitching.

metatcomiskey
04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Nice win..... and my 1st post :smile:

blandman
04-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Winning ugly!

GlassSox
04-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Nice win..... and my 1st post :smile:

:welcome:

russ99
04-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Its the 2nd game of the season. We will win games this year in a variety of ways. Sometimes it will be because of home runs, sometimes it will be a shut out, sometimes it will be a blow out with no home runs.

True, but it is disconcerting to see us not score any runs in those other ways after two games, especially since better pitching will limit scoring with the long ball.

We're 0-8 on RISP for the season.

Very happy with the 2 wins, but it looks like a typical thorn in our side could be thornier this season.

BigHurt3515
04-03-2013, 05:39 PM
True, but it is disconcerting to see us not score any runs in those other ways after two games, especially since better pitching will limit scoring with the long ball.

Very happy with the 2 wins, but it looks like a typical thorn in our side could be thornier this season.

Not really thinking anything of it right now. 2 games in cold weather and people trying to get into a groove. If we lost these games I might be a little concern but we won so its all good right now.

When your 1 and 2 hitters combine to have 1 hit in the first two games and your record is 2-0 that is pretty good right there

doublem23
04-03-2013, 05:40 PM

Dear god

RKMeibalane
04-03-2013, 05:51 PM

They're 2-0. Enjoy it.

Dear god

Too many people are drinking Lip's Kool-Aid these days. The Sox win 1-0 and people whine about the lack of offense. They win 5-2 on the strength of four home runs, and people whine about a perceived lack of clutch hitting. I'm glad 'West doesn't come aruond as much. He'd be banning people left and right with all of the depressoid psychobabble that's infested this place.

SoxSpeed22
04-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Huge outs from the pen to keep that a 4-2 game. Lindstrom is going to have to be huge for us this year if we're going to make a run. Something was off in the outfield, but I'm sure that won't be a recurring issue. We're going to have to make these at-bats count as manufacturing runs may not be an easy thing to do this year. Winning these first 2 against the Royals is a great way to start off the year and to get the bad taste of last year out.
Edit: Screwed up something.

central44
04-03-2013, 05:59 PM
As long as the runs come, I don't care how they get them. It's GREAT to see the Sox a) beat the Royals and b) score 5 runs in an April game. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and we avoid the typical corpseball we see this time of year.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Huge outs from the pen to keep that a 4-2 game. Lindstrom is going to have to be huge for us this year if we're going to make a run. Something was off in the outfield, but I'm sure that won't be a recurring issue. We're going to have to make these at-bats count as manufacturing runs may not be an easy thing to do this year. Winning 2 of 3 against the Royals is a great way to start off the year and to get the bad taste of last year out.

Why are you assuming they're going to lose tomorrow? Jerry Manuel isn't their manager anymore, and I doubt that Robin's going to concede the third game because they won the first two.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2013, 06:01 PM
As long as the runs come, I don't care how they get them. It's GREAT to see the Sox a) beat the Royals and b) score 5 runs in an April game. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and we avoid the typical corpseball we see this time of year.

The April Corpseball was a problem under Jerry Manuel, and it became a problem during Guillen's final years, after a brief hiatus between '04 and '06. The Sox had a solild April last season. We'll see if Robin has more magic under his Sox cap.

Frater Perdurabo
04-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Unless someone gets hurt, never complain about a win.

If they lost after committing three errors and failing with RISP, then complaints are OK.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Unless someone gets hurt, never complain about a win.

If they lost after committing three errors and failing with RISP, then complaints are OK.

:tiphat:

HomeFish
04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Would be a big statement if we swept them tomorrow.

tstrike2000
04-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Nice start to the season against a team we really need to play well against.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Would be a big statement if we swept them tomorrow.

See! Even HomeFish has his hopes up after these two wins! :o:

blandman
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Too many people are drinking Lip's Kool-Aid these days. The Sox win 1-0 and people whine about the lack of offense. They win 5-2 on the strength of four home runs, and people whine about a perceived lack of clutch hitting. I'm glad 'West doesn't come aruond as much. He'd be banning people left and right with all of the depressoid psychobabble that's infested this place.

Oh for ****'s sake. :rolleyes:

No one is depressed. No one is psychotic. We're all happy we won two games.

rainbow6
04-03-2013, 06:25 PM
If my math is correct, through the first thirty games last year the Sox were 13-17, 5 games out.

[QUOTE=The Sox had a solild April last season. We'll see if Robin has more magic under his Sox cap.[/QUOTE]

blandman
04-03-2013, 06:27 PM
If my math is correct, through the first thirty games last year the Sox were 13-17, 5 games out.

I don't know if that's right...

We better start hot this year. Statistically, we have the easiest schedule in baseball to start the year (based off last year's standings). Our second half is especially brutal by comparison.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Oh for ****'s sake. :rolleyes:

No one is depressed. No one is psychotic. We're all happy we won two games.

:rolleyes:

SoxSpeed22
04-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Why are you assuming they're going to lose tomorrow? Jerry Manuel isn't their manager anymore, and I doubt that Robin's going to concede the third game because they won the first two.Whoops. Wasn't paying attention.:redface:

Red Barchetta
04-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Nice start to the season against a team we really need to play well against.

I agree. Except for the defensive mind farts on the left side of the field, the team looked solid. Alexi and Tank both made up for it with their bats.

It's way too early to analyze how they win as I think early season wins are just as important as late season wins.

I used to throw up in my mouth every time Ozzie used to talk around the slow starts and claim there is plenty of time left. Every win in April makes it easier in September.

TDog
04-03-2013, 06:55 PM
I could go for a hit with a runner in scoring position. Unless these guys are actually planning on hitting 648 home runs this season.

I was thinking the same thing, but twice today with two outs and runners in scoring postion, Sox hitters had good at bats and hit the ball well. Today the killer as far as scoring baserunners was Flowers trying to score on a pitch in the dirt. I don't know if anyone shouted for him to break for home. Keppinger didn't seem to be waving him in. But again, he homered to break the tie, putting the Sox ahead for good, the game-winning hit, and caught a good game.

Today's game wasn't particularly well-played. Aside from the baserunning mistake and issues in left, the defense was solid, though, and the pitching very good. As in the opener, the Royals were facing a pitcher they had hit well in the past and really couldn't put anything together. The Ramirez error appared to be the fault of Viciedo who didn't seem to be calling for the fly and didn't seem to care that Ramirez was. Booting a two-out hit and allowing the runner to score from first led to half the Royals' scoring so far this week. The Royals later scored a fundamental run by scoring a leadoff double without hitting the ball out of the infield. That would have been huge if the Sox bullpen hadn't shut down the Royals with the bases loaded and the tying run in scoring position after the Wise error.

I don't know what was going on with the Sox in left today. Viciedo is still developing defensively as an outfielder, some of his minor league development being spent at third base. The mistakes seemed to be mental. Maybe he will learn from them. De Aza and Beckham made some nice plays on defense, though.

Today, it again came down to the pitching. Peavy had a very nice start. The bullpen did its job working its way out of a bases-loaded jam. Santana did well with his breaking pitches, was able to throw them for strikes, but the Sox beat him on his fastball. The home runs provided a little margin for error, that was needed today because of some poor play in left. Fortunately the pitching was good enough that the Sox didn't need the run(s) they didn't score after loading the bases with one out.

Dunn looked much better offensively today, especially being more active early in the count. Going for the sweep, the Sox will be facing Guthrie, who is coming off a very good season. Maybe, despite looking so good in spring training, early in the season is the best time to catch the Royals, as it was last year.

Really, it's nice to start off the season with a couple of wins at home, especially against two pitchers who were supposed to be key in turning around the Royals fortunes.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Whoops. Wasn't paying attention.:redface:

No worries. It's been that kind of day for me, too. :cool:

Tragg
04-03-2013, 07:20 PM

We better start hot this year. Statistically, we have the easiest schedule in baseball to start the year (based off last year's standings). Our second half is especially brutal by comparison.

I wonder how it looks based on prognostications. Teams like the Jays and Royals are highly touted. We play the ultra hyped Nationals early (their hype approaches the hype the Rangers got from 2010-2012). I'm not so sure it's so damn easy in April. In late-April, early May, we play the Rays, Rangers and Angels.

blandman
04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
I wonder how it looks based on prognostications. Teams like the Jays and Royals are highly touted. We play the ultra hyped Nationals early (their hype approaches the hype the Rangers got from 2010-2012). I'm not so sure it's so damn easy in April.

Good point, especially on the Jays.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Uhhh...

It's not. They were 11-11 in April, followed by 18-11 in May.

metatcomiskey
04-03-2013, 07:33 PM
:welcome:

Thanks

Tragg
04-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Good point, especially on the Jays.

I'm thinking they are over-sold. Or at least it will take them a while to mesh together. Glad we're playing them early. We'll see, though.

LITTLE NELL
04-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Uhhh...

They were 13-17 on May 7th for their low point and then finished strong for the rest of May including that nice sweep in TB.
We were in first almost every day the rest of the way until late September with the meltdown.

vinny
04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Uhhh...

It is correct for the first 30 games of last season (April 6 - May 7). On May 7 they lost a DH to Cleveland and at the end of the day were 13-17, 5 games back of the Toons. But they went on a 12-1 romp the second half of May.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2012-05-07

Tm W L W-L% GB RS RA pythW-L%
CLE 17 11 .607 -- 128 124 .515
DET 14 14 .500 3.0 117 121 .485
CHW 13 17 .433 5.0 116 118 .492
KCR 9 19 .321 8.0 109 144 .375
MIN 7 21 .250 10.0 95 159 .280

Soxman219
04-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Hope the Sox can get the sweep tomorrow and start beating the Royals like they're suppose to.

tstrike2000
04-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Really nice way to start off the season against a team we really needed to play better against. Peavy and Sale have been great these first two games. As a side note, maybe Farmer and DJ aren't so bad to listen to on the radio after hearing KC radio guy Rex Hudler give an interview on The Score this morning.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2013, 07:54 PM
They were 13-17 on May 7th for their low point and then finished strong for the rest of May including that nice sweep in TB.
We were in first almost every day the rest of the way until late September with the meltdown.

It is correct for the first 30 games of last season (April 6 - May 7). On May 7 they lost a DH to Cleveland and at the end of the day were 13-17, 5 games back of the Toons. But they went on a 12-1 romp the second half of May.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2012-05-07

Tm W L W-L% GB RS RA pythW-L%
CLE 17 11 .607 -- 128 124 .515
DET 14 14 .500 3.0 117 121 .485
CHW 13 17 .433 5.0 116 118 .492
KCR 9 19 .321 8.0 109 144 .375
MIN 7 21 .250 10.0 95 159 .280

My mistake. I'd forgotten about the late-May surge.

GeauxSox
04-03-2013, 08:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but twice today with two outs and runners in scoring postion, Sox hitters had good at bats and hit the ball well. Today the killer as far as scoring baserunners was Flowers trying to score on a pitch in the dirt. I don't know if anyone shouted for him to break for home. Keppinger didn't seem to be waving him in. But again, he homered to break the tie, putting the Sox ahead for good, the game-winning hit, and caught a good game.

Today's game wasn't particularly well-played. Aside from the baserunning mistake and issues in left, the defense was solid, though, and the pitching very good. As in the opener, the Royals were facing a pitcher they had hit well in the past and really couldn't put anything together. The Ramirez error appared to be the fault of Viciedo who didn't seem to be calling for the fly and didn't seem to care that Ramirez was. Booting a two-out hit and allowing the runner to score from first led to half the Royals' scoring so far this week. The Royals later scored a fundamental run by scoring a leadoff double without hitting the ball out of the infield. That would have been huge if the Sox bullpen hadn't shut down the Royals with the bases loaded and the tying run in scoring position after the Wise error.

I don't know what was going on with the Sox in left today. Viciedo is still developing defensively as an outfielder, some of his minor league development being spent at third base. The mistakes seemed to be mental. Maybe he will learn from them. De Aza and Beckham made some nice plays on defense, though.

Today, it again came down to the pitching. Peavy had a very nice start. The bullpen did its job working its way out of a bases-loaded jam. Santana did well with his breaking pitches, was able to throw them for strikes, but the Sox beat him on his fastball. The home runs provided a little margin for error, that was needed today because of some poor play in left. Fortunately the pitching was good enough that the Sox didn't need the run(s) they didn't score after loading the bases with one out.

Dunn looked much better offensively today, especially being more active early in the count. Going for the sweep, the Sox will be facing Guthrie, who is coming off a very good season. Maybe, despite looking so good in spring training, early in the season is the best time to catch the Royals, as it was last year.

Really, it's nice to start off the season with a couple of wins at home, especially against two pitchers who were supposed to be key in turning around the Royals fortunes.

Nice job TDog. I really enjoy your posts. You could do this for a living.

Frater Perdurabo
04-03-2013, 08:32 PM
There's no point talking about strength of schedule. This is the American League. The only true pushover just moved over from the NL Central. We need to win games, regardless of the opponent. Wins against division opponents are even better.

RKMeibalane
04-03-2013, 08:37 PM
There's no point talking about strength of schedule. This is the American League. The only true pushover just moved over from the NL Central. We need to win games, regardless of the opponent. Wins against division opponents are even better.

Game, set, and match. :cool:

shingo10
04-03-2013, 09:09 PM
As long as the schedule calls for the Sox to play division opponents as much as they do then it is imperative to win in the division. Off to a great start. Keep winning series and eventually we'll look up and be comfortably above .500.

Actually not too surprising that we would win against Shields and Santana...hopefully we'll take care of Guthrie, Chen, any no name lefties that we face this year, ect.

Lip Man 1
04-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Just got back home and saw the score. Very impressed...two wins against the ****ing Royals and they actually scored more than three runs in a game.

Hard to be upset about anything right now...maybe they can actually have "Catfish" Guthrie's number tomorrow.

Lip

JB98
04-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Nice job by the bullpen to get out of that seventh inning. The game could have gotten away there. Last year, Kansas City probably scores three or four runs there and turns the game around. Hopefully this opening series is a sign the Sox are gonna flip the script on the Royals this year.

Jurr
04-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Clutch hitting after two games (wins)? Not a concern.
Defensive lapses? Not a concern.

Baseball is a confidence game, just like golf.
If you are loose and have good mojo, things just tend to fall correctly.

Confident teams win 8-7 games when the pitching takes a day off, and they win 2-1 nail biters. It comes from confidence and a feeling that you KNOW things are going to go your way. Talent is best shown in a relaxed state, especially in this sport.

I love seeing a relatively young team looking like it belongs.
So far, so good!

IronFisk
04-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Made it out there today...thank God for the sun. Viciedo was simply brutal - missed a relatively close foul ball as well. At least he made up for it with the dinger.

I find it humorous that there was no guess the attendance game played today. Seemed like there were as many vendors as fans.

kittle42
04-04-2013, 12:18 AM
The first place White Sox will bring out the broom tomorrow and will sweep the Royals. Kansas City will leave Chicago without any heart and they will continue to lose. I'm sure the Royals manager will be the first manager to be fired in 2013. Meanwhile the White Sox will continue to win game after game and will clinch a 2013 Playoff spot by Labor Day.

And I suppose you also believe in Jesus and the Easter Bunny?

kittle42
04-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Nice job TDog. I really enjoy your posts. You could do this for a living.

Unless he had to look at a stat.

thomas35forever
04-04-2013, 02:50 AM
2-0 to start the year. I like that.

SephClone89
04-04-2013, 08:31 AM

GVJgmp2Tc2s

doublem23
04-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Clutch hitting after two games (wins)? Not a concern.
Defensive lapses? Not a concern.

It was pointed out already in this thread, but it bears repeating that the Sox did put a couple of nice swings on some well-hit balls today with RISP that just happened to find gloves instead of green grass, one of which, according to Farmer was a pretty nice play in LF by Alex Gordon. Even if 1 of those gets down this is maybe a 6-2 or 7-2 shellacking and we're all riding high. So hopefully they keep the approach and success will follow.

Not that the Royals are traditionally a contender, but it's nice to start the season off well against this pesky little crew.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-04-2013, 10:56 AM

I like it. April is the best time for irrational exuberance. :smile: