PDA

View Full Version : My Annual White Sox Marketing & Game Experience Complaint List

Pages : [1] 2

TomBradley72
04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Things I don't understand-in no particular order

Their main TV commercial so far is guys goofing around in the locker room- do they really think that gets fans attention and buy tickets?
Removing the pregame video montage
The ridiculous video highlighted in other threads
No fireworks for the Friday night games on April 5 & 19- nice chance to get people out to the park early
Another parking/traffic control disaster yesterday- I arrived at the park at 1:50, followed any signs as best I could, traffic control people seemed confused- big mess- barely made first pitch.

Ron Karkovice
04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Things I don't understand-in no particular order

Their main TV commercial so far is guys goofing around in the locker room- do they really think that gets fans attention and buy tickets?
Removing the pregame video montage
The ridiculous video highlighted in other threads
No fireworks for the Friday night games on April 5 & 19- nice chance to get people out to the park early
Another parking/traffic control disaster yesterday- I arrived at the park at 1:50, followed any signs as best I could, traffic control people seemed confused- big mess- barely made first pitch.

1.) No big deal.
2.) I agree, I have a feeling they'll bring it back though.
3.) Hopefully, they don't play that again.
4.) Agreed.
5.) Sorry to hear that!

SOXfnNlansing
04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Another dumb thing they did was not include the score sheet in the program. You have to buy both now. :scratch:

Milw
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
1.) No big deal.
2.) I agree, I have a feeling they'll bring it back though.
3.) Hopefully, they don't play that again.
4.) Agreed.
5.) Sorry to hear that!

Brooks tells me the new intro is here to stay (as mentioned in another thread). If you'd like to see Pirates back, as I would, email Brooks to voice your opinion. Bboyer@chisox.com

Ron Karkovice
04-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Brooks tells me the new intro is here to stay (as mentioned in another thread). If you'd like to see Pirates back, as I would, email Brooks to voice your opinion. Bboyer@chisox.com

Yeah, I am more thinking it will come back later this season once Brooks gets enough notice from fans. He's usually really good at making the fans happy right?

amsteel
04-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Parking/traffic direction is a joke. I'm shocked there aren't more accidents/fights/general anarchy after games.

skobabe8
04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Parking/traffic direction is a joke. I'm shocked there aren't more accidents/fights/general anarchy after games.

It's as much a tradition as fireworks after home runs.

TomBradley72

Horrible decision- classic example of fixing something that wasn't broken- nothing gets a crowd fired up like a spoken voice over!

Milw
Yeah, I arrived down there just after 2, realized parking in a lot wasn't going to happen and just turned around and parked on the street about a mile away and walked. Got there just before first pitch.

Given that they've had, what, 22 years now to figure out the current parking configuration, it's a mystery to me why it's still an adventure.

Milw
04-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Horrible decision- classic example of fixing something that wasn't broken- nothing gets a crowd fired up like a spoken voice over!
From the same minds who thought the Diamond Sock patch needed to be replaced by a duplicate S-O-X logo. :rolleyes:

Wedema
04-02-2013, 12:38 PM
The Sox also weren't ready to open the gates on time yesterday. I arrived at Gate 5 at 1:00 as gates were to open at 1:10 but did not open until 1:30. At 1:20, they were still bringing up the boxes with the two giveaways. They had 6 months to prepare for Opening Day and couldn't even get the gates open on time.

salty99
04-02-2013, 02:25 PM
The Sox also weren't ready to open the gates on time yesterday. I arrived at Gate 5 at 1:00 as gates were to open at 1:10 but did not open until 1:30. At 1:20, they were still bringing up the boxes with the two giveaways. They had 6 months to prepare for Opening Day and couldn't even get the gates open on time.

Yes I was at gate 3 and someone had to come up with a key and unlock the gate when we got in. We also only got the rally towel and not the magnetic schedule.

TomBradley72
04-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Yes I was at gate 3 and someone had to come up with a key and unlock the gate when we got in. We also only got the rally towel and not the magnetic schedule.

Entered the stadium at 3:00- no schedule or rally towel- game is ALWAYS a sell out- no excuses.

I tend to be very nitpicky on this stuff- I've been to 20+ ballparks around the majors- and you just don't see this stuff at other stadiums.

I live halfway between The Cell and Miller Park- so I go to 4-5 Brewers games every year- they are one my adopted NL teams- the whole way they run the event on game day blows way the White Sox experience- its not even close (parking & traffic flow, promotional giveaways, quality & variety of food and beverages, access to good scoreboard info/visibility, etc.).

When I go to a Brewers game the day/night before a White Sox game- the contrast is "jolting".

roylestillman
04-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Quite a bit of confusion and bad planning at the entrance gates yesterday. I entered Gate 5 at around 2:30. The lines were enormous and not really lines. More like mobs with people cutting in and being general idiots. The magnetic wands were beeping like Geiger counters, so I don't know what they accomplished and one poor "customer service representative" was loudly proclaiming that they were all out of rally towels while standing in front of boxes of them. ( I could tell they were filled because people had torn into them in a help yourself manner.)

On big attendance days, I don't understand why they can't open Gate 6 in the left field corner. In the early years of the park it was used. Also they did not open or use the Bicardi gates off the patio, which helped last year.

All in all I can never complain about Opening Day. It's such a unique and goofy crowd that you really can't plan for the anomalies of that day.

Noneck
04-02-2013, 02:51 PM
- the whole way they run the event on game day blows way the White Sox experience- its not even close (parking & traffic flow, promotional giveaways, quality & variety of food and beverages, access to good scoreboard info/visibility, etc.).

When I go to a Brewers game the day/night before a White Sox game- the contrast is "jolting".

I Totally agree with you, If only the Brewers would have shifted to AL central and Royals to Al west. That would have expanded the number of Sox games, I would go to.

SephClone89
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
I Totally agree with you, If only the Brewers would have shifted to AL central and Royals to Al west. That would have expanded the number of Sox games, I would go to.

I kind of like the Brewers being in the NL--two parks within a couple of hours where I can see NL players that I wouldn't be able to see in person otherwise.

Though the downside is that there isn't another ALC park to see the Sox anywhere within a few hours.

doublem23
04-02-2013, 03:05 PM
I must have been to Miller Park on a bad day because I certainly didn't think the experience was anything that terrific, other than I guess being able to walk around the entire park even though I was in an Upper Deck seat. But it was still a hassle to park, the food was fine but nothing spectatular, and the park really isn't that great... Even with the roof open you feel like you're inside, which, I don't know, defeats the point of going to the park IMO. If I wanted to watch a game inside I'd just stay at home or go to a bar.

Wedema
04-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Entered the stadium at 3:00- no schedule or rally towel- game is ALWAYS a sell out- no excuses.

I tend to be very nitpicky on this stuff- I've been to 20+ ballparks around the majors- and you just don't see this stuff at other stadiums.

I live halfway between The Cell and Miller Park- so I go to 4-5 Brewers games every year- they are one my adopted NL teams- the whole way they run the event on game day blows way the White Sox experience- its not even close (parking & traffic flow, promotional giveaways, quality & variety of food and beverages, access to good scoreboard info/visibility, etc.).

They probably ran out of the magnetic scheules because they weren't actually handing them out. They just had them in stacks and people were grabbing as many as they wanted. I think it confused the ticket takers as they had to scan the ticket, hand out the game card, hand out the rally towel, and hand out the magnetic scheudle all at once.

Wedema
04-02-2013, 03:10 PM

When I was in Milwaukee for the Sox series a couple of years ago, I entered a parking lot to a long line and they waved me to another line but no one actually took my money so I parked in a lot for free.

palehosepub
04-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Some positive comments:

1. I was pleasantly surprised that the Beers Around The World Stand held prices firm to last year (usually its an automatic annual $.50 price increase). I wish they had more locations especially for a large crowd day like the opener.

2. The Sox did provide some port a potties in the concourse ramps. bathroom lines were still long buts it's opening day - 90% males, most drinking beer on a cold day...

Harry Potter
04-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Some positive comments:

1. I was pleasantly surprised that the Beers Around The World Stand held prices firm to last year (usually its an automatic annual $.50 price increase). I wish they had more locations especially for a large crowd day like the opener.

2. The Sox did provide some port a potties in the concourse ramps. bathroom lines were still long buts it's opening day - 90% males, most drinking beer on a cold day...

Also the beer vendors were selling their brews for $7.75 again this year. Not justifying paying $7.75 for a Miller Lite but I was expecting another quarter increase this offseason and was figuring it would be $8 yesterday.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-02-2013, 08:17 PM
I can't believe "The Show" hasn't yet been mentioned. It started with a horrible Eminem ripoff and only got worse during the interviews. I'm pretty sure that they didn't rehearse.

Mr. Jinx
04-02-2013, 09:15 PM

Heck, going to just about any other team's home game and then going to a Sox game is jolting. Sox are easily the worst in terms of overall quality, friendliness, and helpfulness of their staff that I've seen at a MLB game.

OldRomanPizza
04-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Heck, going to just about any other team's home game and then going to a Sox game is jolting. Sox are easily the worst in terms of overall quality, friendliness, and helpfulness of their staff that I've seen at a MLB game.

At the Great American Ballpark, I heard an usher belting out "Can I help anyone?", and I felt as if I were on Mars.

TomBradley72
04-03-2013, 07:46 AM
I must have been to Miller Park on a bad day because I certainly didn't think the experience was anything that terrific, other than I guess being able to walk around the entire park even though I was in an Upper Deck seat. But it was still a hassle to park, the food was fine but nothing spectatular, and the park really isn't that great... Even with the roof open you feel like you're inside, which, I don't know, defeats the point of going to the park IMO. If I wanted to watch a game inside I'd just stay at home or go to a bar.

My point wasn't around the structure/architecture of the ballpark- more around the quality of the way they run the game day experience for the fans. It's not perfect- just much better than the Cell from my experience.

doublem23
04-03-2013, 08:36 AM
My point wasn't around the structure/architecture of the ballpark- more around the quality of the way they run the game day experience for the fans. It's not perfect- just much better than the Cell from my experience.

That's fine, to each their own, but I was merely pointing out my experience at Miller wasn't anything notably better or worse than the Cell, but I'll also admit maybe I'm not the right guy to talk to about this as I don't need to be dazzled or wowed by the "gameday experience" or have an usher hold my hand all night long. Is there a game? Check. Is someone going to bring me a hot dog and a beer? Check. OK, I'm happy.

:shrug:

DumpJerry
04-03-2013, 09:01 AM
That's fine, to each their own, but I was merely pointing out my experience at Miller wasn't anything notably better or worse than the Cell, but I'll also admit maybe I'm not the right guy to talk to about this as I don't need to be dazzled or wowed by the "gameday experience" or have an usher hold my hand all night long. Is there a game? Check. Is someone going to bring me a hot dog and a beer? Check. OK, I'm happy.

I have a feeling most people who go to a ballgame feel this way. For entertainment, there is always Disneyland or Great America. Most people go to a ballgame to see, well, a ballgame.

skobabe8
04-03-2013, 09:26 AM

I don't need the ushers approaching me and explaining to me how the rows are numbered from higher to lower as you get closer to the field. I can figure that out.

What I saw at Miller Park last weekend that I would like to see at USCF is an extremely friendly workforce at the concession stands that seemed to actually care and wanted to get my order to me in a timely fashion. That aspect of my experience was refreshing and something I wasn't used to.

Jerko
04-03-2013, 09:34 AM

I've had it out with those parking/traffic director people many times. They suck when it's not that crowded too. Someone is gonna get run over on 37th street between lots E and F (I think those are the letters)

Today is my first game so I'll predict what will bother me:

Only the fan deck will be open in the outfield
Traffic people
Staduim club will close like 5 minutes after the game even though they're supposed to stay open for at least an hour.

beasly213
04-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Another opening day in the books for me…
-Liked how they added more portajohns to the concourse.
-Concourse was pretty crowded, but that’s to be expected during a sell out
-Parking could have been handled better. Got there at like 1:15 and it took about 20 min to get into a parking lot.
- Leaving the game was rough with all the congestion
-Not sure if this is new but Lot L the one behind Lot F is no longer just gravel They added brick ontop of it so that’s nice.
-I actually noticed all the food workers were very friendly
-The opener was dumb. It doesn’t matter how loud you turn the speakers you’re never going to be able to hear a spoken word track through the PA due to the echo/bass effect. I miss the Pirates opener a lot. Hopefully this will be like last year when they got rid of the Boom fireworks for a few games, realized their mistake and brought them back.

palehosepub
04-03-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't need the ushers approaching me and explaining to me how the rows are numbered from higher to lower as you get closer to the field. I can figure that out.

What I saw at Miller Park last weekend that I would like to see at USCF is an extremely friendly workforce at the concession stands that seemed to actually care and wanted to get my order to me in a timely fashion. That aspect of my experience was refreshing and something I wasn't used to.

I couldn't agree with both points more.

I think the Sox need to relook at their outsourcing of their concessions. Even when its not crowded it takes too damn long to get food. Too many people standing around and never a sense of urgency. I ordered a turkey sandwich at the carvery station down the right field line and had to wait ten minutes once they took my order. They must have had to kill the turkey first. Sure seemed to be enough bodies back there - just not enough organization or a sense of urgency. I have been to at least 15 other MLB parks and our service times are the slowest and least efficient. Even on a normal game day (20,000 fans) you should not have to lose a full inning to get food.

tebman
04-03-2013, 10:46 AM
I think the Sox need to relook at their outsourcing of their concessions. Even when its not crowded it takes too damn long to get food. Too many people standing around and never a sense of urgency. I ordered a turkey sandwich at the carvery station down the right field line and had to wait ten minutes once they took my order. They must have had to kill the turkey first. Sure seemed to be enough bodies back there - just not enough organization or a sense of urgency. I have been to at least 15 other MLB parks and our service times are the slowest and least efficient. Even on a normal game day (20,000 fans) you should not have to lose a full inning to get food.

I filled out the most recent online fan survey a couple of weeks ago and said the same thing in the comments section. Friendliness or lack thereof isn't a problem at the concession stands, just the lack of efficiency. The one stand that's I've found that's run well is the premium beer stand in the lower deck left-field corner. They have a large menu of beers but they're bang-bang fast in taking orders, pouring beers (often two at a time), making change and moving on. I don't get why the other windows and booths can't operate the same way. Maybe they need a consultant from McDonald's to show them how to manage a fast-food operation.

salty99
04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
I thought it was interesting that the ushers demanded to check our tickets in about the 6th inning. What's the point of waiting until the 6th to check tickets?

Mr. Jinx
04-03-2013, 11:02 AM

Sure, I don't need anything more than the game, but that doesn't mean I don't want a little more for my money. Little things like a friendly staff who seems to actually give a **** that you paid money to come to the ballpark goes a long way.

And the parking people are just ridiculous. I love how they come around the lots and shoo you out right after the game. Great, so I can just sit in a long line of cars waiting to get out? I understand them not wanting people to just hang out all day, after all they have homes to get back to as well, however use a little common sense and take a glance at the lines out of the lots first.

kittle42
04-03-2013, 11:26 AM

I can't disagree. It's like everyone who works there would rather fans weren't there.

roylestillman
04-03-2013, 11:45 AM
They were doing the 6th inning ticket check in my section, too. (Section 153.) The two couples in front of us were juggling helmet tacos, margaritas, brats, and a gift shop spree on their laps when the usher asks for tickets. I don't care if they had standing room, these guys had about $300 of concessions in their laps. Cut em some slack.

The parking lots are brutal. I did my usual Park and Ride location in Lot A, so I got there at 8:00AM, but one of us left in about the 8th inning to go back to the cars and Security was shagging him out of the lot BEFORE THE GAME WAS OVER.

I was a big complainer about the concession folk a few years ago, but I do think they have gotten better. You still will find one of the older ladies who are mystified by gift cards and credit carrds, but I give them a break. The end of game experience is obnoxious. Souvenier stands closed, the bums rush in the Bullpen Bar and Bicardi's, the "gates are closing" announcement and the general herding of folks after the game drives me crazy. With the way traffic works, nobody is going anywhere for a while. Let em stay, and relax.

C-Dawg
04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
the "gates are closing" announcement and the general herding of folks after the game drives me crazy. With the way traffic works, nobody is going anywhere for a while. Let em stay, and relax.

Sounds like Yankee Stadium. We were yelled at by about three different ushers after the game - "Get out NOW!!!". Marred an otherwise perfect experience there.

kittle42
04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Much like anyone who has to deal with the general public, many ushers HATE the general public. This is, of course, because the general public sucks. Do I think it gives them a license to act like asses? No. But I get it.

bunkaroo
04-03-2013, 12:57 PM
I made the mistake of getting down to the area just after 2pm because the damn cold made me think twice about getting there too early. Oh my god. I didn't even get in the game until bottom of the 2nd. I spent over an hour just trying to figure out where the overflow parking was, and when I realized how far it was I gave up on it. I usually park in the lot by the hot dog joint where people tailgate, so when I saw the hot dog joint parking was $60, I should have realized something was up and just street parked then. Once I got on the east side of the Ryan I was screwed for a good long while. I couldn't even get back across until Cermak since 26th was closed. And then of course I wound up back on the Ryan instead of making my left a turn later to get to Canal so I had to do it all over again.

I finally street parked at 28th and Normal and had to hoof the mile walk after the game started. Never had an experience like this in the last 4 opening days I've been to. I may seriously have to reconsider going next year if someone getting there two hours before the game still waited 20 minutes to get in the lot. The only plus of street parking so far away was I got on the Stevenson fairly quickly.

bunkaroo
04-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Oh, and did they change the urinals? They seemed to have normal ones now that you can stand close too rather than the low bowls that you basically stood near and have your junk on display for everyone. Only downside I could see is they are all probably too high for kids.

Bobby Thigpen
04-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never noticed anything different about the staff or "ballpark experience" when I've been to Busch- old or new, Coors or Kaufman.

doublem23
04-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never noticed anything different about the staff or "ballpark experience" when I've been to Busch- old or new, Coors or Kaufman.

That's basically what I'm saying, though I will admit that when I went to a game at Coors last year, I did like the experience there more than at the Cell because the area around Coors is very nice and lively. My wife and I walked to the park from the hotel we were staying in and it felt like you were in an actual city neighborhood, as opposed to the Cell, in which it feels like you're walking through Schaumburg, Rosemont, or somewhere else as equally awful.

DSpivack
04-03-2013, 01:58 PM

The difference I note is how fresh/warm the food is, how quickly lines move, that kind of a thing. That said, there might be as much variance in the same park depending on when you are there in the season, or from one season to the next, than there is between different parks.

I also like to walk around a ballpark if I haven't been there before, or if I get there early just to see the variety of concessions and things like that. That's not possible at every park.

The parks outside of Chicago I have been to the most often (that are still standing) are Coors Field, Turner Field, and Nationals Park. The design and overall ballpark experience at each I have found to be quite similar.

skobabe8
04-03-2013, 02:09 PM
That's basically what I'm saying, though I will admit that when I went to a game at Coors last year, I did like the experience there more than at the Cell because the area around Coors is very nice and lively. My wife and I walked to the park from the hotel we were staying in and it felt like you were in an actual city neighborhood, as opposed to the Cell, in which it feels like you're walking through Schaumburg, Rosemont, or somewhere else as equally awful.

I loved the Coors Field neighborhood. I need to get back there.

Coors was probably the first different ballpark I went to that made me take notice of how great and friendly the employees were.

Harry Potter
04-03-2013, 06:00 PM
I loved the Coors Field neighborhood. I need to get back there.

Coors was probably the first different ballpark I went to that made me take notice of how great and friendly the employees were.

Agreed about Coors. I felt the same about the staffs at Safeco and (New) Busch when I visited them both last season.

Mr. Jinx
04-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Agreed about Coors. I felt the same about the staffs at Safeco and (New) Busch when I visited them both last season.

Same in Kansas City, Arlington, Houston, and Cincinnati. Much nicer staff.

BainesHOF
04-04-2013, 10:47 AM

I agree in my limited experience of going to other ballparks. There's a "hardness" at the Cell that just doesn't exist elsewhere. At this point, I don't expect that to change under the current ownership and marketing staff. They've heard the complaints that are found in this thread for years and yet nothing really changes. There's just an overriding weird vibe in this organization. Instead of treating you as a valued customer, they look at you as an inconvenience. It's particularly galling when you consider the cost of everything.

SOXSINCE'70
04-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Also the beer vendors were selling their brews for $7.75 again this year. Not justifying paying $7.75 for a Miller Lite but I was expecting another quarter increase this offseason and was figuring it would be $8 yesterday.

Italian Sausages were $5.75,Vienna hot dogs $5.50,and a bottle of Aquafina water was $4.75.I am grateful for the little things,such as no major increase in concessions.
Memo to self;bring your debit card to park at all times.Cash is almost obsolete here.

doublem23
04-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Italian Sausages were $5.75,Vienna hot dogs $5.50,and a bottle of Aquafina water was $4.75.I am grateful for the little things,such as no major increase in concessions.
Memo to self;bring your debit card to park at all times.Cash is almost obsolete here.

What? The permanent installations built in the building take cards now but most of the carts that are on the field-side of the concourse (the ones that usually have the better food options) didn't last season. Did they change that? I still think you need to hit your local bank ATM before you head to the park unless you just want to eat hot dogs on stale buns all game long.

skobabe8
04-04-2013, 11:16 AM
What? The permanent installations built in the building take cards now but most of the carts that are on the field-side of the concourse (the ones that usually have the better food options) didn't last season. Did they change that? I still think you need to hit your local bank ATM before you head to the park unless you just want to eat hot dogs on stale buns all game long.

Use your credit card to get Comiskey Cash at Guest Relations. You can use it anywhere (including Bacardi ATP) and it saves you on the ATM fees.

I still have around $50 leftover from last season sitting in my drawer. It feels like free money.

TomBradley72
04-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I agree in my limited experience of going to other ballparks. There's a "hardness" at the Cell that just doesn't exist elsewhere. At this point, I don't expect that to change under the current ownership and marketing staff. They've heard the complaints that are found in this thread for years and yet nothing really changes. There's just an overriding weird vibe in this organization. Instead of treating you as a valued customer, they look at you as an inconvenience. It's particularly galling when you consider the cost of everything.

VERY well said-

TomBradley72
04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Cool promotion by the Brewers to fill all those empty seats in April-

View this online as a Webpage >>
http://link.mlblists.com/r/VR7NZC/RUQBN9/SL8TXG/TW46AI/WBBBDZ/SL/t?a=VR7NZC&b=955Z4C&c=RB7AU56&d=GERQOJ&e=1&f=6906597&g=578633700 (http://link.mlblists.com/r/VR7NZC/RUQBN9/SL8TXG/TW46AI/WBBBDZ/SL/t?a=VR7NZC&b=955Z4C&c=RB7AU56&d=GERQOJ&e=1&f=6906597&g=578633700)

================================================== ===============
BREWERS TICKET NEWS
================================================== ===============
April 4, 2013

IT'S A 4/4 SPECIAL 4 OUR FANS!

On April 4, starting at 9 a.m., you can purchase tickets in the Loge Bleachers, Loge Outfield, and Terrace Level for the April 16, 17 and 18 games vs. the San Francisco Giants for just $4.04!

Click the button below and enter the code "APRIL4" in the password box to get yours.

Hurry, quantities are limited!

Ron Karkovice
04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
VERY well said-

I honestly don't really care if concession staff is nice to me or not when i'm buying my beers/dogs. :redface:

kevingrt
04-04-2013, 11:49 AM
I honestly don't really care if concession staff is nice to me or not when i'm buying my beers/dogs. :redface:

I care that it is good beer, good food and quick. They could be robots for all I care.

But I do understand the people that say it annoys them. Just not me though.

Ron Karkovice
04-04-2013, 11:52 AM
I care that it is good beer, good food and quick. They could be robots for all I care.

Well said.

GlassSox
04-04-2013, 12:05 PM

They could install beer vending machines throughout the concourses. :D:

Milw
04-04-2013, 12:06 PM
The White Sox are in the entertainment business, which, at the end of the day, is an arm of the hospitality industry. I defy anyone to use the word "hospitable" to describe the typical U.S. Cellular Field gameday experience.

Bobby Thigpen
04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm not saying, I'm just saying- Did you ever think that maybe the difference isn't US Cellular field vs other MLB parks, but is more of a Chicago vs other cities thing?

DumpJerry
04-04-2013, 12:16 PM
The White Sox are in the entertainment business, which, at the end of the day, is an arm of the hospitality industry. I defy anyone to use the word "hospitable" to describe the typical U.S. Cellular Field gameday experience.
I've been to close to a thousand Sox home games. I've never felt that I was not treated in a hospitable manner by the employees. I've been to many other MLB parks and always felt more welcomed at Comiskey. No place like home.....

TomBradley72
04-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm not saying, I'm just saying- Did you ever think that maybe the difference isn't US Cellular field vs other MLB parks, but is more of a Chicago vs other cities thing?

I do think that's part of it-

palehosepub
04-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Camden Yards has excellent service and the concession lines move quickly. STL same thing. Those two parks stand out from my visits. Quick efficient yet personable service. Id settle for quick and efficient for now.

Although the Beers Around the World vendor near section 111 have the same guy and woman for several years - they hustle to serve the customers and do an admirable job- the Cell probably needs a third stand on the lower level as there is always a line even on slow game days.

doublem23
04-04-2013, 12:21 PM

Or is it more of a "usual" vs. "new" phenomenon? The little things that bother you after 100 games at the Cell may not be as obvious in 1-2 trips to another team's park when you're just happy to probably be visiting a new place?

Mr. Jinx
04-04-2013, 12:28 PM

That may play a bit there, as I haven't exactly found the staff at Bulls/Hawks games all that nice either, but I do find the staff about as helpful as they can be at Cubs games.

Mr. Jinx
04-04-2013, 12:29 PM

The thing is it isn't just the vendors, it is the staff as a whole, ranging from the parking lot security to the ushers and everything in between.

Milw
04-04-2013, 12:32 PM
I've been to close to a thousand Sox home games. I've never felt that I was not treated in a hospitable manner by the employees. I've been to many other MLB parks and always felt more welcomed at Comiskey. No place like home.....
Really? I mean, I rarely encounter rudeness, I'm not saying that. But my interactions with employees at the ballgame are usually cold, at best, or irritating. If U.S. Cellular Field employees worked at a department store or a hotel or a restaurant, it would go out of business in short order.

DumpJerry
04-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Really? I mean, I rarely encounter rudeness, I'm not saying that. But my interactions with employees at the ballgame are usually cold, at best, or irritating. If U.S. Cellular Field employees worked at a department store or a hotel or a restaurant, it would go out of business in short order.
They've always been friendly with me. They smile, they chat, they get me what I order quickly (if it is an employee who takes orders). Heck, sometimes they give me a free beer (on purpose, not by mistake). I'm not sure what you're expecting, but I have not experienced what you're describing.

Maybe I need to get to more games.

Mr. Jinx
04-04-2013, 12:42 PM

My experiences are far closer to yours than Mr. Dump's. Mostly with the security, traffic management, ticket takers than with any particular vendors though.

I look at those as 2 separate things. The vendors are generally pretty friendly because they are working for tips. Everyone else who is not expecting a tip is generally kind of a prick.

Milw
04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
My experiences are far closer to yours than Mr. Dump's. Mostly with the security, traffic management, ticket takers than with any particular vendors though.

I look at those as 2 separate things. The vendors are generally pretty friendly because they are working for tips. Everyone else who is not expecting a tip is generally kind of a prick.

The vendors are generally more cordial, but they tend to be incompetent (or at least painfully slow), which kind of sours the transaction. (EDIT: By vendors, I was thinking the concession workers. You're right, the guys walking the seats are great.)

C-Dawg
04-04-2013, 01:09 PM
That may play a bit there, as I haven't exactly found the staff at Bulls/Hawks games all that nice either, but I do find the staff about as helpful as they can be at Cubs games.

Don't some of them work both ballparks though? Not the parking guys, obviously, but the vendors and ushers.

Its been years since I've driven to USCF (well, it wasn't even called that yet), so I can't comment on the parking lot guys. But yeah, I've seen some of the post-game jams. It doesn't look pretty.

TomBradley72
04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Or is it more of a "usual" vs. "new" phenomenon? The little things that bother you after 100 games at the Cell may not be as obvious in 1-2 trips to another team's park when you're just happy to probably be visiting a new place?

I don't think that's it- I'm also in the business of customer service/operations processes, etc.- so I can see it through an professional eye as well as a fan's eye

Bobby Thigpen
04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Also part of the equation.

Perhaps that is why I haven't noticed a difference in any of the parks, because I'm only a casual visitor to any of them.

DumpJerry
04-04-2013, 02:27 PM

My interaction with ticket takers is usually less than three seconds long, so I can't say they've been rude to me. In my very limited interactions with security, I've never had any problems. When I had parking coupons, they took my coupon and directed me to the aisle I was to park my car in, so no complaints there.

The vendors are generally more cordial, but they tend to be incompetent (or at least painfully slow), which kind of sours the transaction. (EDIT: By vendors, I was thinking the concession workers. You're right, the guys walking the seats are great.)
I have found the concession workers to be extremely friendly and helpful. They take my order right away, get the food as soon as the order-taking is complete, take my money and give back change right away. Ok, they don't follow me to my seat to wipe off my face with a napkin if I get some mustard on it, but I'm a big boy who can take care of himself. The only time there have been slow-downs is when everyone in the park seems to want something from the same counter at the same time. I never go to the concession stands during the First Inning, that is when everyone remembers they're hungry.

Maybe you're thinking of movie theater concession stand workers?

dickallen15
04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
As long as the singing beer vendor is around, I have to give USCF workers 4 stars. Last year's "We all Work in a Yellow Shirt All Day" sung using the Beatles Yellow Submarine was beyond fabulous.

TomBradley72
04-04-2013, 02:31 PM
I emailed Brooks a link to this whole thread- we may not always agree with him- but I always respect his responsivenes and his willingness to engage with me/us-

Here's his response-

1. We have two commercials in market: First one was PK and Alexei working out “to make an impact” with the voice over of Robin. Second was the “pie in the face” spots to push people to see the ending at whitesox.com (where we sell tickets). We are shooting two more this month that will start airing the first part of May. Trying to bring out some of the personalities on this team. Our fan base does not know the young guys and it is time that they get to know them. This said, it is nice to be able to use the guys as coming off of last year, it was not clear that our fan base wanted to see the guys out front.
2. Did you get a chance to see the new open before Thunderstruck? It incorporates a lot of the highlights from the past (trying to tell the CWS history story) in a little bit different manner. I saw someone state on the thread “Brooks listens to the fans” and this was a direct result of listening to the fans. Many stated that they wanted to see a fresh opening. We did not want to drift too far away from the open teaching new (and young) fans a bit of a history lesson before first pitch. We are still trying to do that. It is a bit of a work in progress but if people give it a chance, I think they will like it. Changing anything is hard, especially when it is something that is liked.
3. That video was our guys having some fun in Spring Training. Again, bringing out a bit of their personalities. It is not meant to win any awards, just guys having some fun. It is meant to run about 45 minutes to an hour before the game starts to be the introduction to “The Show” which is what we call our pregame. “The Show” will feature videos, take fans to different places around the ballpark (and outside the ballpark) and be a bit of a guide to all that USCF has to offer. THIS IS NOT USED TO REPLACE THE OPEN VIDEO. Most of the emails I received thought this was replacing “Pirates” and were from people who were not at Opening Day. Once they understand what this is and what it is meant to be, people typically understand. Certainly, had we (us or Comcast) known or anticipated it would have been thought of or misrepresented as something we are seriously presenting as our open, we would have never run it. It is our guys (and, I will tell you, we have a GREAT group of guys on this team and on our coaching staff) having some fun meant to run early in pregame. It should have never aired on Opening Day prior to the broadcast (when we had our highest rated Opening Day broadcast ever) and it will not be seen on air again. We will still run it where it was meant to be run, 45 minutes before the game to introduce “The Show” unless the players have an issue with it. It is not that big of a deal to upset the players. I hope this provides some clarity.
4. We have tried early fireworks in the past and they create no incremental sales. With the threat of weather in early April, it is better to use the days (our number of fireworks nights are limited by city code) in the summer months where we can make an impact on our sales. It is a business decision and hopefully, this seems reasonable.
5. Traffic Management Authority are city employees, not White Sox employees. Not much we can do here although we try.

Also, I noticed on the thread that a lot of the venom was directed toward guest service representatives and concession workers. I think it is fairly obvious that these are not full time White Sox employees. We have many GREAT people in these areas, but, we realize that we are not batting 1.000 with these people, who do turn over year to year.

salty99
04-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Seems like some reasonable responses, although he didn't address the whole gate opening and giveaway snafu's though. I did email my ticket rep separately about a few issues though.

skobabe8
04-04-2013, 05:25 PM
I really appreciate the responses Brooks gives. His willingness to connect to the fan base is admirable.

Unfortunately, people that go to the ballpark are not going to differentiate between White Sox employees, concession company employees, and city traffic employees. As soon as fans come into contact with the parking attendants, the game day experience begins. I know Brooks can't control them, but they are still part of the package.

Mr. Jinx
04-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I really appreciate the responses Brooks gives. His willingness to connect to the fan base is admirable.

Unfortunately, people that go to the ballpark are not going to differentiate between White Sox employees, concession company employees, and city traffic employees. As soon as fans come into contact with the parking attendants, the game day experience begins. I know Brooks can't control them, but they are still part of the package.

Yup. It does explain to a certain extent why despite the complaints things haven't changed. I guess I will just have to continue to deal with ****ty service to see my favorite team.

kittle42
04-04-2013, 05:37 PM

They're nice at Wrigley and the United Center.

MUsoxfan
04-04-2013, 06:10 PM
I think it is fairly obvious that these are not full time White Sox employees. We have many GREAT people in these areas, but, we realize that we are not batting 1.000 with these people, who do turn over year to year.

I appreciate his detail and honesty, but this is the part I don't get.

So only full time Sox employees are expected to perform their tasks in a brisk, yet hospitable manner? I realize those jobs aren't the best in the world and they make next to nothing, but maybe pay them a few more bucks, make the jobs desirable and create some sort of vetting system

DumpJerry
04-04-2013, 06:12 PM

So only full time Sox employees are expected to perform their tasks in a brisk, yet hospitable manner? I realize those jobs aren't the best in the world and they make next to nothing, but maybe pay them a few more bucks, make the jobs desirable and create some sort of vetting system
Ok, this will sound strange, but this is due to a state law that I work with. The source of many of the seasonal employees gives the kids an excellent opportunity to overcome their circumstances. State law does not permit me to elaborate.

DSpivack
04-04-2013, 06:13 PM

I think he's just trying to say that they're not employees of the White Sox, i.e., it's not our problem, it's the city (parking lot) or whomever has the concession contract (I forget whom). It's a bit of a cop-out, to be sure.

MUsoxfan
04-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Ok, this will sound strange, but this is due to a state law that I work with. The source of many of the seasonal employees gives the kids an excellent opportunity to overcome their circumstances. State law does not permit me to elaborate.

Alright, I never thought of that. But it makes sense. Thanks

Bobby Thigpen
04-04-2013, 06:31 PM
They're nice at Wrigley and the United Center.
I've never been to either, so I don't have them as a comparison. My only other Chicago sporting event adventure site was Soldier Field and I can't say it was any different than any other place I've ever been.

Brian26
04-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Is Brooks still claiming there was some sort of massive groundswell movement for the Pirates opening montage to be changed? This, more than anything else, just amuses me. He made a mistake and has decided not to fix it. No need to take the sock off the jerseys and no need to change the video.

If he would like to do something productive in the offseason, he should think of ways to get out of the apparent ironclad contract with Sportservice and hire Dick Portillo to take over all aspects of the food concessions at the park, from hiring workers to training to providing and preparing the food. Hand the entire operation over.

SoxFanCPA
04-04-2013, 07:35 PM
How about the Sox post both videos on the website and have a public poll about which one people prefer?

roylestillman
04-04-2013, 08:13 PM
OK, I've just got back from my second game of the year and I'll try to throw some positives into this thread on the ballpark experience this year.

1. There seemed to be a lot less noise and announcements between inning more than a few times, the inning would end and the organist would play over crowd shots on the scoreboard. It was kind of laid back and relaxing for an afternoon game. AND... No stupid on top of the dugout dance contests! Cripe it always looked like they scoured every bad Irish wedding reception seeking out the male talent for those things.

2. Speaking of the organist, kudos to her for taking some time in the off season and learning some current pop hits. That was Nancy's trademark and it was nice to hear her pick it up.

3. I know this will sound a little snobbish, but service in the Club Level was Jimmy John like today. Before I got change back for my beer the beer had arrived.

4. God help me, the new intro didn't look half bad. Still don't think the over the top dramatic reading will hold up to repeated viewing, but it wasn't awful.

5. I know it's year 3 for this, but the view of that Grand Staircase exiting gate 5 during the day, that frames the skyline is the coolest sight in the park.

6. There does seem to be an increasing number of stands that are taking debit, credit and gift cards.

Now my one negative for the day. The park needs a good bath. Coming up on the Gate 5 escalator, there was a big pile of cans and glasses that were sitting on a ledge half way up. The doors leading into the park from the ramps looked like they were cleaned with oily rags. Just a bunch of little neglected bits around the park looked like they were missed in the preseason walk around.

Also, one other thing. Took Metra in and noticed that the mural that was unveiled with much fanfare underneath the 35th Street Metra viaduct celebrating Black baseball is gone. Anybody know what happened to it?

TheVulture
04-04-2013, 08:33 PM

:scratch: State law won't permit you to elaborate on state law?

skobabe8
04-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Is Brooks still claiming there was some sort of massive groundswell movement for the Pirates opening montage to be changed? This, more than anything else, just amuses me. He made a mistake and has decided not to fix it. No need to take the sock off the jerseys and no need to change the video.

If he would like to do something productive in the offseason, he should think of ways to get out of the apparent ironclad contract with Sportservice and hire Dick Portillo to take over all aspects of the food concessions at the park, from hiring workers to training to providing and preparing the food. Hand the entire operation over.

Interesting idea. Was this ever discussed or are you just spit balling?

Brian26
04-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Interesting idea. Was this ever discussed or are you just spit balling?

I've got no inside information. We threw this at the wall a couple of years ago. I'm giving an example of an outfit, from everything I've read and heard, is a first-class operation in the way it is run from entry-level training to cleanliness standards to customer service. They have a zero-tolerance policy in the back regarding service and cleanliness.

It's not even about serving a better tasting hotdog at this point. The food is almost secondary. A hotdog will taste good at a game if it's served warm, quickly and with a smile.

There's something broken with the system, and what Dump alludes to is interesting. Sportservice clearly struggles with training and managing the people put in these positions, and whether it's a socio-economic problem or not, it has been a consistent problem. For example, I'd be curious to know if each stand has a "manager" overseeing what's happening. It appears that each stand is an island unto itself with nobody specfically in charge, and that creates some of the chaos that you see. The lack of QA/QC towards the end of the season is appauling. I generally don't even buy food at the park anymore. I stop at Jimmy John's on 35th Street after getting off the train.

That's why I think it is humorous that there is focus on entirely trivial things that don't need revisions like scoreboard videos and uniform patches. The Sox are leaving money on the table with the bad concession service, and this is has been known for years. There's no reason to go to a game in September and spend six dollars on a hot pretzel and receive something that is literally ice cold and stale.

But, getting back to the Portillos idea, it doesn't have to be Portillos. It could be Levy taking over everything in the park or perhaps something out of the box like the Lettuce Group. I don't know if they'd even be interested in something like that.

BainesHOF
04-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Brooks said, "Changing anything is hard, especially when it is something that is liked."

Why change something that is liked?

BainesHOF
04-05-2013, 12:12 AM
The food at Sox games used to be very good for ballpark food, but that was years ago. Sportservice is brutal. It has been for a long time. Somewhere along the way, too, the Sox have confused quantity with quality. The food options are at an all-time high, but I would say the quality is at an all-time low. I try to buy as little at the park as possible these days after growing tired of receiving overpriced cold dogs and warm beer. Is it that hard to get the basics right?

On top of it, all of the added portable stands now do a good job of blocking the view of the field from the concourse. That view used to be a unique feature to the park. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but still...

It's not impossible to serve mass quantities of relatively good food. Taste of Chicago does it every year. Then again, the Taste vendors have a stake in their product. Sportservice doesn't seem to care about much beyond collecting your money. And I guess the organization doesn't care about much beyond collecting Sportservice's high bid.

DSpivack
04-05-2013, 01:10 AM
The food at Sox games used to be very good for ballpark food, but that was years ago. Sportservice is brutal. It has been for a long time. Somewhere along the way, too, the Sox have confused quantity with quality. The food options are at an all-time high, but I would say the quality is at an all-time low. I try to buy as little at the park as possible these days after growing tired of receiving overpriced cold dogs and warm beer. Is it that hard to get the basics right?

On top of it, all of the added portable stands now do a good job of blocking the view of the field from the concourse. That view used to be a unique feature to the park. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but still...

It's not impossible to serve mass quantities of relatively good food. Taste of Chicago does it every year. Then again, the Taste vendors have a stake in their product. Sportservice doesn't seem to care about much beyond collecting your money. And I guess the organization doesn't care about much beyond collecting Sportservice's high bid.

It was better under Levy. Perhaps Lip or someone can clarify when they switched to Sportservice (whose parent company is Delaware North, owned by Jeremy Jacobs). I want to say that the club level food options are still run by Levy.

johnny bench
04-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Trips to the concessions stands aren't a big part of my ballpark experience. As long as the Beers of the World vendors continue to work as efficiently as they always have, I'll continue to be delighted on that end.

My whine has to do with my fellow fans, many of whom apparently don't realize that the time to stand up from their seats and go to and return from the concession stands and restrooms is between innings and not anytime the idea happens to pop into their heads. Now I recognize that many, if not most people do use proper etiquette at the ballpark. And I do realize that parents with young kids have gotta go when they gotta go. But one person who doesn't pay attention can annoy a lot of people over the course of 9 innings.

Last time I was at Fenway in 2004, I sat in the right center field, where the aisles are very narrow and the seats elevation is pretty shallow. The ushers prevented people from returning to their seats at will. That isn't the answer for the Cell, but a gentle reminder on ballpark etiquette might not be completely out of line. There is already an etiquette announcement about behavior in the neighborhood before/after games. Perhaps a line or two could be added requesting fans to be considerate of their fellow fans?

Mr. Jinx
04-05-2013, 06:45 AM
Trips to the concessions stands aren't a big part of my ballpark experience. As long as the Beers of the World vendors continue to work as efficiently as they always have, I'll continue to be delighted on that end.

My whine has to do with my fellow fans, many of whom apparently don't realize that the time to stand up from their seats and go to and return from the concession stands and restrooms is between innings and not anytime the idea happens to pop into their heads. Now I recognize that many, if not most people do use proper etiquette at the ballpark. And I do realize that parents with young kids have gotta go when they gotta go. But one person who doesn't pay attention can annoy a lot of people over the course of 9 innings.

Last time I was at Fenway in 2004, I sat in the right center field, where the aisles are very narrow and the seats elevation is pretty shallow. The ushers prevented people from returning to their seats at will. That isn't the answer for the Cell, but a gentle reminder on ballpark etiquette might not be completely out of line. There is already an etiquette announcement about behavior in the neighborhood before/after games. Perhaps a line or two could be added requesting fans to be considerate of their fellow fans?

I'm not entirely sure that they even teach ushers in general this anymore. I've actually been yelled at during Bulls games for standing in the entryway and NOT going back to my seat during the action. When I tell them I'm waiting for the next dead ball so I don't bother everyone, I'm told tough, keep moving. I know its a different sport, but I would say it is even more important at timed games.

DumpJerry
04-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Also, one other thing. Took Metra in and noticed that the mural that was unveiled with much fanfare underneath the 35th Street Metra viaduct celebrating Black baseball is gone. Anybody know what happened to it?

There was a story in the news a few weeks ago. It got vandalized by some *******s.

:scratch: State law won't permit you to elaborate on state law?
No. I cannot say how it is those kids get hired. If I mention the law involved, it would be strong tip-off and that would violate the law.

thomas35forever
04-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I know I bring this up every single year and nothing is ever done about it, but I just feel the need once more. Can the 500 level murals stop going up to 2002? Where's the 2003 All-Star Game? Where's the '05 World Series run? Where's the Blackout Game? Or Buehrle's perfecto? Are they not updating it because they already have large photos of them on the exit ramp and other parts of the ballpark? Paulie is the last player on that wall still with the team. Nothing from the U.S. Cellular Field era. If they have to consolidate some of the other decades, so be it. I just want the team history to all be in the same place on the same wall.

mrfourni
04-05-2013, 03:47 PM
It was better under Levy. Perhaps Lip or someone can clarify when they switched to Sportservice (whose parent company is Delaware North, owned by Jeremy Jacobs). I want to say that the club level food options are still run by Levy.

Sports Service has been with the White Sox since 1940:

http://www.delawarenorth.com/Sportservice-Partners-US-Cellular-Field.aspx

dickallen15
04-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Sports Service has been with the White Sox since 1940:

http://www.delawarenorth.com/Sportservice-Partners-US-Cellular-Field.aspx

I don't think people realize that sportservice has and will be around forever. I love the Portillo's idea, but unfortunately for us that will never happen. We are stuck with sportservice. It's another reason why the club level is better. You don't have the issue with fans blocking your view going down the aisle. No bathroom lines and you get Levy instead of sportservice.

fisk4ever
04-05-2013, 05:42 PM
OK, I've just got back from my second game of the year and I'll try to throw some positives into this thread on the ballpark experience this year.

1. There seemed to be a lot less noise and announcements between inning more than a few times, the inning would end and the organist would play over crowd shots on the scoreboard. It was kind of laid back and relaxing for an afternoon game. AND... No stupid on top of the dugout dance contests!

What a welcome change if they keep it up! I hate all the constant announcements and canned sounds, along with the constant movement of vendors and fans while the game is in progress.

WhiffleBall
04-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Went to the game yesterday with the knit bomber hat giveaway. We got to gate 5 a little before noon for a 12:10pm start time. The security guard said that all gates were out of the hats. He said it in a total "deal with it" voice. We knew better and walked down to gate 3 where they had boxes and boxes of hats and calendars. There were 20K available to give away and I doubt attendance was much higher than that. Is it so hard to radio someone at each gate to let them know the inventory situation? A disappointed family went in to gate 5 right after the guard was telling people there were no more available. They could have easily gone to gate 3 and all gotten the very nice giveaway. That is just bad customer service. Gate 4 also had boxes of the hats but no one can go in that way unless they have skybox/suite tickets.

skobabe8
04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
My customer service experience on 4/6 was mixed.

-Ordered a cheese quesadilla at the mexican stand in center field just prior to first pitch and had to wait around 10 minutes. The grill did not appear hot enough and the lady making them kept trying to spread the cheese with her hands and smashing it against the griddle to get it to cook. We missed the new intro video and couldn't understand the voiceover. Definitely the low light of the day.

- Irish nachos were good. Plenty of cheese sauce, sour cream, and fresh chives. We waited in line around 4-5 minutes and as soon as we got to the front, the lady behind the counter told us to go to a different line because she had to go. :?::angry: We eventually got her attention as she was talking to some co-workers and she came back and took our order. I'm not sure what happened there, but it was annoying.

- Vienna beef with grilled onions from a field side stand near 127 was excellent. The two ladies working there were busting their asses to get the long line moving quickly. One of the ladies even stopped what she was doing to help a young fan who asked her where the nacho cart was. And the dog didn't disappoint.

- Beers of the Midwest stand was good as always, but I didn't see any large cans of PBR. Has anyone seen PBR?

- No parking problems since I have go-to spots on the street.

- It was too windy.

BainesHOF
04-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Okay, I'm mad. I just saw on TV that Julio Cruz and Rudy Law were at the game and signing autographs today. The appearances were not promoted anywhere to my knowledge. I'd have gone to the game if I would have known they'd be at the game. Why in the world wouldn't you promote their appearances? It reminds me of a game last year when Dick Allen and Rich Gossage had an autograph session before a throwback game, but it wasn't promoted. What's going on here? Do the Sox even have a public relations/marketing department?

anewman35
04-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Okay, I'm mad. I just saw on TV that Julio Cruz and Rudy Law were at the game and signing autographs today. The appearances were not promoted anywhere to my knowledge. I'd have gone to the game if I would have known they'd be at the game. Why in the world wouldn't you promote their appearances? It reminds me of a game last year when Dick Allen and Rich Gossage had an autograph session before a throwback game, but it wasn't promoted. What's going on here? Do the Sox even have a public relations/marketing department?

It wasn't promoted well, but it was announced (go to http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=cws#, click on today's date). Honestly, from the Sox perspective, I can kind of see why you wouldn't promote that very hard - I was 3 in 1983 and honestly couldn't care less about their autographs, I'm sure most people my age or younger wouldn't either. They're promoting the Family Sunday concept and the throwbacks and stuff, they don't have unlimited ability to push every little thing when a large portion of fans won't care.

Also, as an aside, looking at future family Sundays it looks like most are going to have autograph sessions by 1983 people, so if you care about that sort of thing, check it out.

TaylorStSox
04-07-2013, 04:21 PM

Just a wild guess... Probably because you're talking about Julio Cruz and Rudy Law. They're not exactly celebrities.

I've always had good experiences at the ball park. You guys have to understand that the people working are typically dealing with drunk *******s and not getting tipped. It's a tough job and they're probably underpaid. Cut them some slack.

Traffic management employees are absolutely awful everywhere around the city. That's the city's problem, not the Sox.

In general, Chicago just isn't a friendly place.

BainesHOF
04-07-2013, 04:48 PM
It wasn't promoted well, but it was announced (go to http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=cws#, click on today's date).

Fair enough. Thanks for letting me know.

comiskey2000
04-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Had the same problem with Gate 5 on 4/6. No hats around 11:30. A friend of mine who went in a different gate at 11:55 said they had boxes and boxes.

On another note from 4/6, did anyone notice how quiet the fans were in the 9th inning. It was a one run game in the ninth with one out, and the place was dead silent. It was very strange.

Milw
04-07-2013, 06:15 PM
I've always had good experiences at the ball park. You guys have to understand that the people working are typically dealing with drunk *******s and not getting tipped. It's a tough job and they're probably underpaid. Cut them some slack.

I honestly don't care what someone's wage is; if you're in the customer service industry, your job is to be kind and courteous. If you don't think you're getting paid enough to be kind and courteous, then get a different job. I get that everyone has bad days, but that should be the exception, not the rule.

I have sympathy for people who work ****ty jobs for ****ty pay; most of us, myself included, have had such jobs at some point in our lives. That said, if you can't or won't do the job, let someone else do it.

Ron Karkovice
04-07-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm also one of the gate 5 after 11:30am victims on Saturday. I normally wouldnt care too much, but those bomber hats are awesome :/

amsteel
04-07-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm also one of the gate 5 after 11:30am victims on Saturday. I normally wouldnt care too much, but those bomber hats are awesome :/

Go to the clubhouse sale in December, they'll be 10-15 dollars.

Brian26
04-07-2013, 07:32 PM

Aren't those Sunday autograph sessions supposed to be for kids only? I know today's kids wouldn't have been born while these guys were playing, but I was told they were just for kids. I like collecting the '83 guys autos, but I hate being the creepy dude in a line with a bunch of eight year olds. I asked the Sox on Friday about it....

Brian,

Thanks for the message. I double-checked with our Guest Relations department, and they confirmed that the pre-game autograph sessions on Sundays are only for kids. You're welcome to stop by and see if they'll let you in line, but I think they're pretty strict on the policy of only allowing kids to get autographs. I wish I was able to help you out, but I hope you have a great time at the game regardless!

Wedema
04-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Aren't those Sunday autograph sessions supposed to be for kids only? I know today's kids wouldn't have been born while these guys were playing, but I was told they were just for kids. I like collecting the '83 guys autos, but I hate being the creepy dude in a line with a bunch of eight year olds. I asked the Sox on Friday about it....

Brian,

Thanks for the message. I double-checked with our Guest Relations department, and they confirmed that the pre-game autograph sessions on Sundays are only for kids. You're welcome to stop by and see if they'll let you in line, but I think they're pretty strict on the policy of only allowing kids to get autographs. I wish I was able to help you out, but I hope you have a great time at the game regardless!

Typical of the Sox to have '83 players back and only allow kids who have no clue who they are to get their autographs. Anyone should be allowed to get the players' autographs. The Sox have historically done a poor job of any autographs signings that they have. Both the Tigers and Royals have pre game autograph sessions on the concourse (Royals) or ramps (Tigers) that all fans have access to. A couple of years ago, I did the picnic in the park and had Christine O' Reilly scold us for getting in line for autographs immediately and not eating the food that was available. I was paying good money to get autographs not to eat hot dogs and chips, but she just didn't get it.

salty99
04-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Cruz and Law were with Farmer Addison Reed and Nate Jones. The 83 guys were way off to the side by the scout seat net and nobody cared that adults were going down another aisle and getting their autographs. The current players they were more strict. I saw Kittle there too and he said LaRussa and Squires were around as well. I was more confused by the Sox refusal to tell you who was at each station when they clearly had a list printed out but wouldn't share. The usher finally told me a couple of them when I asked about specific players.

Wedema
04-07-2013, 08:54 PM
I really would be scared of a 40 year old plus person who is pissed off he didn't get Rudy Law's autograph. The wiring has to be faulty.

Here we go again criticizing people for collecting autographs. There are many sane adults out there that collect autographs as a hobby.

Milw
04-07-2013, 09:12 PM
That's fine, but to be upset teams would set it aside for kids is totally another thing. And if you collect autographs do you live by the rule you have had to seen them play? Not getting Rudy Law or Mike Squires autograph shouldn't be too big of a blow to anyone's life. Even autograph collectors.
Normally I'd agree with you, but when we're talking about non-famous players who retired 20 years before these kids were even born, I think it's a different situation.

mattcoz
04-07-2013, 10:08 PM
My big complaint is the bundling of fries with almost every food item. Now a chicken sandwich is $8.75! Oh, and what's with the new "Bull's BBQ"? I looked for it but all I found was the same shredded pork stand that has always been there.

I will say that I like the "Tailgating Secrets" demonstrations in left field before the game, the spinach artichoke mac and cheese today was delicious.

Brian26
04-07-2013, 10:35 PM
I really would be scared of a 40 year old plus person who is pissed off he didn't get Rudy Law's autograph. The wiring has to be faulty.

From what I understand, Rudy Law is really tough to track down nowadays. Cruz is more accessible because he's still involved in baseball as an announcer for the Mariners. Law, though, you don't see very often.

So, anyone who wanted to get a ball or a bat signed, this would have been a nice opportunity.

anewman35
04-07-2013, 10:56 PM
My big complaint is the bundling of fries with almost every food item. Now a chicken sandwich is $8.75! Oh, and what's with the new "Bull's BBQ"? I looked for it but all I found was the same shredded pork stand that has always been there.

I haven't been to any games, so I don't know, but do you HAVE to get the fries? When I was in Milwaukee for the games last weekend, most of the items there were listed as baskets including fries, but you could order just the sandwich for like half the price.

Wedema
04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
From what I understand, Rudy Law is really tough to track down nowadays. Cruz is more accessible because he's still involved in baseball as an announcer for the Mariners. Law, though, you don't see very often.

So, anyone who wanted to get a ball or a bat signed, this would have been a nice opportunity.

I got both Law and Cruz in '03 when they were back for the 20 year reunion so I didn't get mad and show my "faulty wiring".

Whitesox029
04-07-2013, 11:21 PM
I went to one of the exhibitions at Miller Park this year. Our seats were so far back in the lower deck that we could only see 30% of the scoreboard and could hear the game on the radio on the concourse loudspeakers way too clearly. It felt like I was standing in line for a beer for the first two innings until we decided to move upstairs. Also paid $8 for a Polish, which seemed way more than you'd pay at Sox Park.

salty99
04-07-2013, 11:29 PM
That's fine, but to be upset teams would set it aside for kids is totally another thing. And if you collect autographs do you live by the rule you have had to seen them play? Not getting Rudy Law or Mike Squires autograph shouldn't be too big of a blow to anyone's life. Even autograph collectors.

So an autograph collector wouldn't want a Babe Ruth even if they didn't see him play?

doublem23
04-07-2013, 11:47 PM
So an autograph collector wouldn't want a Babe Ruth even if they didn't see him play?

Oh come on, that's not really the same thing

kevingrt
04-08-2013, 09:43 AM
I know this is a complaint list but he $10 parking and $5 tickets on Sundays is absolutely AMAZING. Good job Sox.

The opening video (I know it's referenced in another thread) is god awful though. And Pirates needs to come back.

gregoriop
04-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Also paid $8 for a Polish, which seemed way more than you'd pay at Sox Park.

I only paid $4.75 I think. The $8 was for the meals with fries.

Jerko
04-08-2013, 10:40 AM
My biggest pet peeve has been and still is portable stands on the outfield concourse, as close as possible to the field no less, while the stands that are built INTO the park and sell the same **** (and located in the same section) are CLOSED. I want to watch the game and spend as little amount of time in line as possible, so no, I won't "go to section 101" if I want pizza, nor will I go to "the rotunda in the batters eye (the ****ING FAN DECK) for "ballpark fare"". Act like you're open during a game. The lower deck was full over the weekend, yet half the stands were closed with big-ass portable stands in the way of people trying to watch the game. USE THE STANDS THAT ARE BUILT INTO THE PARK. Plus, every stand out there said "cash only", so for people who do use their fanpass, or try to use a credit or gift card, half the the park is closed to them. Brutally ridiculous, IMO.

TomBradley72
04-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Slighthijack- it's kind of funny that grown men spending time posting on a baseball message board would look down their noses at grown men seeking an autograph or keeping a foul ball.

I would NEVER interfere or in any way, get in the way, or take priority over a child getting either one- but I'm still thrilled when I get a foul ball (3 so far- 1 Old Comiskey, 2 new ballpark), and depending on the game/setting- I might keep it, or I might give it to the closest child.

For autographs- I've never been much of a collector- but Rudy Law and Julio Cruz are both very memorable guys on one of the top teams of my "fandom" (2005, 1983, 1993, 2008, 2000, 1977, 1972, 1990- in that order for me)- it would be cool to meet them, shake their hand and say thank you for a great season.

salty99
04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Again, while I don't collect autographs and really fail to see the point unless you are trying to make money with them, whatever floats your boat, floats your boat. The point I was making was he was mad the White Sox had this exclusively for kids and said the kids have no clue who these guys are. There are plenty of Rudy Law autographs available on the internet at a nominal cost. If you can't track him down and it's important to get one, shell out the $10.

While in most cases this is true, some people collect some very unique items like game used bats or team signed items that can't be found online.

AZChiSoxFan
04-08-2013, 03:11 PM

I take it you've never been to a D-backs game.

AZChiSoxFan
04-08-2013, 03:15 PM

When you go to a stadium where the staff has been trained to at least act like they remotely care about customer service, it really stands out and leaves a lasting impression.

The two stadiums where I've experienced this are Los Angeles and Anaheim.

Hitmen77
04-08-2013, 03:55 PM
i know this is a complaint list but he $10 parking and $5 tickets on sundays is absolutely amazing. Good job sox.

the opening video (i know it's referenced in another thread) is god awful though. And pirates needs to come back.

+1

Ron Karkovice
04-08-2013, 03:58 PM
+1

We really should start a Compliment list thread to the white sox too. It seems sometimes that a lot of this group is a bunch of whiners. NO HATE ;)

SI1020
04-08-2013, 05:42 PM
When you go to a stadium where the staff has been trained to at least act like they remotely care about customer service, it really stands out and leaves a lasting impression.

The two stadiums where I've experienced this are Los Angeles and Anaheim. My wife and I have experienced it over and over again at the Tropicana Dome of all places. It was that way when the Namoli group ran the team, and maybe even improved a little under Sternberg.

Milw
04-08-2013, 06:08 PM

I can vouch for Anaheim, and Coors Field also. I was underwhelmed by the service in Cleveland, but then again I was wearing Sox gear, so I didn't take it personally.

Bobby Thigpen
04-08-2013, 06:45 PM

Hey, whatever floats your boat man.

I was just saying that I've never really noticed anything different about the staffs at any other ballpark I've ever been too.

Whitesox029
04-08-2013, 10:26 PM
I actually agree about the ballpark service. It's extremely rare to get a smile from any of the workers at Sox Park. The only other stadiums I have experience with are Miller Park and Busch Stadium, and they seem to hire more older folks who are looking for some extra income. These people almost across the board are friendlier than the high school dropout (or even non-college-attending high school grad) population that seems to dominate the customer service team at Sox Park. The only ones that come to mind are the two guys who work at Gate 3 (Joseph, who sells programs and scorecards, and the guy in the wheelchair who sells raffle tickets).
The vendors are usually not too bad, but I've never had any kind of friendly interaction with anyone working behind the counter at the food stands.

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2013, 11:27 PM
The poor customer service provided by ushers probably won't serve as much of a deterrent to attending White Sox games for season ticket holders or anyone who posts on this board, but it is pretty clear that the White Sox are obviously trying to create a new fan base. If that is the case, the poor customer service provided by the ushers is a huge problem. Those ushers, guest service representatives as the White Sox like to call them, are the face of the organization. A family of four from the suburbs who go to one White Sox game a year aren't going to deal with Brooks, they might deal with Southpaw if they are lucky but they will damn sure interact with the guys who show them where to park, take their ticket, where to sit and give them their food. They are the White Sox frontline so to speak, so for Brooks to sort of dismiss them and say in effect "Well, they aren't really employees and there is a lot of turn over there," it doesn't appreciate the problem. Maybe they aren't really employees (when I was an usher for the White Sox I was not technically an employee of them) and maybe there is a lot of turnover, but they still represent your product. From what I am reading in this thread, it appears that they do a bad job of representing that product. So the White Sox find themselves in a position where they have taken measures to appeal to new fans that alienate traditional fans (the montage) and then won't remedy problems that don't affect traditional fans but could alienate new ones. That seems to fit in with the rest of the organization's philosophy.

dickallen15
04-09-2013, 05:17 AM
I've gone to over 1000 Sox games the last 20 years and have never had a problem with and usher or customer service employee. There have been times service at the concession stands has been painfully slow and it has seemed orderin pg some food was quite bothersome, but not very often. With all the complaints on here, I guess I have been very lucky, because that has not been my experience.

doublem23
04-09-2013, 09:18 AM
If what has been alluded to in this thread is true, that the Sox help out at-risk youth rehabilitate themselves into society, that is much preferable to me.

That said, I was at the game Sunday, got a beer from one of the carts, ordered some food from a few stands, and had no complaints about the service at all. I suspect some of this relates to what anyone who has ever worked in retail can tell you: The customers who always have bad experiences at places almost always are jerks with bad attitudes to begin with, while the customers who have pleasant experiences are generally nice people with a pleasant disposition.

Jerko
04-09-2013, 09:43 AM
I basically have "my own" beer vendor, I really have no use for an usher, and I rarely go to the concession stands, but it still bugs me that half of the park is closed when the lower bowl is full, even though it doesn't directly pertain to me. IMO that does not convey a "we're glad you're here" atmosphere and maybe that's why they don't get any "new" fans. Who wants to get a cheap seat in the LF corner and every stand is closed between you and the fan deck? I know it's not far but SOME people like to watch the game without missing 2 innings for a burger. Also, even though I have no need for ushers, I've seen them treat people like ****; they can't answer basic questions, and they move at a snail's pace if asked to get chairs for friends of disabled guests, for example. I've also seen people get berated on the way IN to the park by the traffic *******s. It's NOT a relaxing atmosphere for some and I can see a lot of people being "one and done" with the whole gameday experience.

SCCWS
04-09-2013, 09:53 AM
If what has been alluded to in this thread is true, that the Sox help out at-risk youth rehabilitate themselves into society, that is much preferable to me.

That said, I was at the game Sunday, got a beer from one of the carts, ordered some food from a few stands, and had no complaints about the service at all. I suspect some of this relates to what anyone who has ever worked in retail can tell you: The customers who always have bad experiences at places almost always are jerks with bad attitudes to begin with, while the customers who have pleasant experiences are generally nice people with a pleasant disposition.

To your point, I use Trip Advisor pretty regularly for hotel and restaurant advice. I have learned that wherever a poster has negative comments for a location that gets overall good reviews, to check some of their other comments . It is amazing that some posters on that site constantly have "complaints" about service wherever they go. I am not sure these people are jerks but I think some people are never satisfied and will "whine" about everything.
We live in an era where customer service everywhere is "different" than it was 30 years ago. I think most of us adjust but some get frustrated by their perception of what the service should be.

Harry Potter
04-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Yep - if it keeps them from congregating into flash mobs - or "wilding" is they refer to it these days - then so be it.

As a season ticket holder, my experience has been similar to that of Jerkos in terms of same beer vendor, no need for ushers, etc.

C-Dawg
04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
To your point, I use Trip Advisor pretty regularly for hotel and restaurant advice. I have learned that wherever a poster has negative comments for a location that gets overall good reviews, to check some of their other comments . It is amazing that some posters on that site constantly have "complaints" about service wherever they go.

Yelp is the same way. Its uncanny - the one guy who has a bad experience at a particular restaurant also had bad experiences at the other 200 restaurants he's reviewed... Hard to please I suppose.

LauraJ14
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I sit in the upper deck and my complaint with the ushers is that for good stretches of the game they are nowhere to be found. So there are always people standing at the railing while the game is ongoing and there are people yelling at them to move since their home plate view is blocked.
I have noticed at other parks that the ushers are at the sections before the game starts and can direct you to your seat which is nice if you haven't been to the park before.

Ron Karkovice
04-09-2013, 11:28 AM
I sit in the upper deck and my complaint with the ushers is that for good stretches of the game they are nowhere to be found. So there are always people standing at the railing while the game is ongoing and there are people yelling at them to move since their home plate view is blocked.
I have noticed at other parks that the ushers are at the sections before the game starts and can direct you to your seat which is nice if you haven't been to the park before.

You can text a # that is found on the back on most seats to somewhat "tell on" people like this for ushers to come take care of. They can't be everywhere at all times.

salty99
04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
You can text a # that is found on the back on most seats to somewhat "tell on" people like this for ushers to come take care of. They can't be everywhere at all times.

They can if you have one at every section which is often not the case.

jdm2662
04-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Let me say I don't really care about too many things when I go to the game. I've been to Comiskey along with the UC, Toyota Park, Solider Field, Allstate, etc. many times in my life. I know my way around each stadium, and quite honestly, I'm only there to watch the game. I think the staff in each place is not exactly customer friendly. However, for a person like myself, I don't really care that much. I've been other stadiums in other cities, and they are light years ahead of actually glad you are there.

KC, in particular, blew me away. They even sold me two standing rooms for one game that was sold out. They actually had a policy for game days they can only sell that very day. They sold us tickets for all three games, and were helpful on where to sit. Our third game was a day game, and they showed us shade seats. Now, it could be their attitude is that they are happy to see you. But, whatever the case. It was much different than Comiskey. I've only been to Miller Park and the New Busch Stadium once. I didn't really get to see the stadium much. I will say, Miller Park is awesome to tailgate in. And, they didn't try to force us out right away as they do in Comiskey. I've been to other arenas, and saw the difference as well.

As I said, I really not looking for stadium experience. I'm a Sox fan, and I'm there to see the Sox. The stadium itself, to me, was used as an excuse. Before they re-modeled the park, it was generic and had no character. It didn't stop people from seeing a good team with young, marketable stars. It only when the team started to tank is when that was being used as an excuse. And, for the upper deck? Get over it. Go to Solider Field and let me know how their upper deck is.

However, this works for me since I just go to watch the team. When I bring my son to the park for the first time, I will have a different attitude. Also, I would recommend the Sox staff to act like they are happy to see you. Why? Because, they aren't exactly filling the ballpark. Whether you like it or not, the casual fan is a huge chunk of attendance. If you want them to come back, you might want them feel like they are welcomed. Personally, I would prefer to go on more trips to see the Sox in other parks. I just can't decide at the last minute to do that anymore.... At least I can see the Bulls in Milwaukee once a year.

Milw
04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Let me say I don't really care about too many things when I go to the game. I've been to Comiskey along with the UC, Toyota Park, Solider Field, Allstate, etc. many times in my life. I know my way around each stadium, and quite honestly, I'm only there to watch the game. I think the staff in each place is not exactly customer friendly. However, for a person like myself, I don't really care that much. I've been other stadiums in other cities, and they are light years ahead of actually glad you are there.

KC, in particular, blew me away. They even sold me two standing rooms for one game that was sold out. They actually had a policy for game days they can only sell that very day. They sold us tickets for all three games, and were helpful on where to sit. Our third game was a day game, and they showed us shade seats. Now, it could be their attitude is that they are happy to see you. But, whatever the case. It was much different than Comiskey. I've only been to Miller Park and the New Busch Stadium once. I didn't really get to see the stadium much. I will say, Miller Park is awesome to tailgate in. And, they didn't try to force us out right away as they do in Comiskey. I've been to other arenas, and saw the difference as well.

As I said, I really not looking for stadium experience. I'm a Sox fan, and I'm there to see the Sox. The stadium itself, to me, was used as an excuse. Before they re-modeled the park, it was generic and had no character. It didn't stop people from seeing a good team with young, marketable stars. It only when the team started to tank is when that was being used as an excuse. And, for the upper deck? Get over it. Go to Solider Field and let me know how their upper deck is.

However, this works for me since I just go to watch the team. When I bring my son to the park for the first time, I will have a different attitude. Also, I would recommend the Sox staff to act like they are happy to see you. Why? Because, they aren't exactly filling the ballpark. Whether you like it or not, the casual fan is a huge chunk of attendance. If you want them to come back, you might want them feel like they are welcomed. Personally, I would prefer to go on more trips to see the Sox in other parks. I just can't decide at the last minute to do that anymore.... At least I can see the Bulls in Milwaukee once a year.
This is all I'm saying. I'm not asking to be waited on hand and foot. But it would be nice if the ushers flashed a smile now and then, or if the concession workers didn't act like me placing an order was an inconvenience to them. I don't think friendliness is asking too much, but apparently some folks here think it is.

(And to doublem: I worked five years in retail. I know how awful some people can be. I also know that part of the job description is responding to rudeness with a positive demeanor. And just because the last guy you talked to was a jerk doesn't excuse your talking to me in kind.)

mattcoz
04-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I haven't been to any games, so I don't know, but do you HAVE to get the fries? When I was in Milwaukee for the games last weekend, most of the items there were listed as baskets including fries, but you could order just the sandwich for like half the price.
I didn't bother to wait in line to ask, got an italian sausage instead. Maybe I will next time.

doublem23
04-09-2013, 01:03 PM
This is all I'm saying. I'm not asking to be waited on hand and foot. But it would be nice if the ushers flashed a smile now and then, or if the concession workers didn't act like me placing an order was an inconvenience to them. I don't think friendliness is asking too much, but apparently some folks here think it is.

And that's fine, I agree with that, and I'm just saying I was at the last Sox home game, had interactions with several food service workers and had very pleasant experiences with all of them, all of whom I felt promptly filled my order and said "enjoy the game" after I had paid. And I find this happens to me at Sox games consistently, over the course of the hundreds of games I have gone to over the years, I would say the number of poor experiences I've had are very far and few in between, so I don't know, maybe I'm just getting super lucky all the time with the concession stand workers?

Oh yeah, after I caught that foul ball, several ushers come down to my section to check and make sure everyone was OK. Lousy White Sox customer service!!!!

mattcoz
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
I was at the game Sunday after running the Shamrock Shuffle in the morning. I was wearing my race shirt and the woman at the concession stand congratulated me and was really nice. So they're not all bad.

kittle42
04-09-2013, 02:40 PM
I was at the game Sunday after running the Shamrock Shuffle in the morning. I was wearing my race shirt and the woman at the concession stand congratulated me and was really nice. So they're not all bad.

2 more miles and it would have been a regular workout for me. :D:

CPditka
04-25-2013, 04:07 PM
This seemed like a good place for this. I wish our craft beer offerings were much better. See below tweet on San Diego's offerings. Chicago has a crazy amount of breweries popping up, and many large craft brewhouses (Goose, soon to be Lagunitas). Would love for the Sox to commision a contract brew w/ one of them to make our own beer, as well as expand our offerings. We Would really be ahead of the curve. PALE hose ALE anyone?

Here is PETCO Park's full beer list this season. It's good to be a Padres fan: CRAFT DRAFT: Ballast Point Sculpin, Ballast Point Pale Ale, Ballast Point Big Eye, Ballast Point Wahoo Wheat, Ballast Point Black Marlin, Karl Strauss Red Trolley, Karl Strauss, Kona Longboard, Kona Fire Rock, Widmer Rotator IPA, Widmer Hefeweizen, Coronado Golden, Stone Pale Ale, Lost Abbey Devotion, and Goose Island. PREMIUM DRAFT: Blue Moon, Leinenkugel's Summer, Third Shift, Batch 19, Stella, Shock Top, Pacifico, Negra Modelo, Modelo Especial, and Victoria. DOMESTIC DRAFT: Coors Light, Bud Light and Budweiser. BOTTLES & CANS: Coronado Golden, Coronado Mermaid, Coronado Orange, Coronado Island IPA, Karl Strauss Amber, Karl Strauss Red, Karl Strauss IPA, Karl Strauss Pale, Ballast Point Longfin Lager, Ballast Point Calico, Ballast Point Pale Ale, Ballast Point Big Eye, Stone Pale Ale, Stone Levitation Ale, Stone IPA, Mission Blonde, Mission Amber Ale, Mission Hefeweizen, Mission IPA, Green Flash Hop Head Red, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Green Flash Double Stout, Manzanita Riverwalk, Manzanita Rustic Horizon, Alesmith "X," Alesmith Anvil Ale, Black Market Bavarian Style Hefeweizen, Black Market Brown Ale, Lightning Elemental Pilsner, Lightning Thunderweizen Ale, Lightning Fair Weather Pale Ale, Lightning Amber Ale, and Port Brewing Wipeout IPA.

As opposed to:
Craft Beer location featuring Henry Weinhards, Batch19, Third Shift and Blue Moon Agave Blonde Ale. The Miller Lite Bullpen Sports Bar also will feature Third Shift, Redd's Apple Ale and Blue Moon Agave Blonde Ale. All will be available in the new souvenir Miller Lite Bullpen Sports Bar pilsner glass. Adding to the local offerings, Ebel's Weiss from Two Brothers Brewery, a Chicagoland local brewery, and Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler
-95% of the above beers are owned by Miller.

MISoxfan
04-26-2013, 05:59 PM
This seemed like a good place for this. I wish our craft beer offerings were much better. See below tweet on San Diego's offerings. Chicago has a crazy amount of breweries popping up, and many large craft brewhouses (Goose, soon to be Lagunitas). Would love for the Sox to commision a contract brew w/ one of them to make our own beer, as well as expand our offerings. We Would really be ahead of the curve. PALE hose ALE anyone?

Here is PETCO Park's full beer list this season. It's good to be a Padres fan: CRAFT DRAFT: Ballast Point Sculpin, Ballast Point Pale Ale, Ballast Point Big Eye, Ballast Point Wahoo Wheat, Ballast Point Black Marlin, Karl Strauss Red Trolley, Karl Strauss, Kona Longboard, Kona Fire Rock, Widmer Rotator IPA, Widmer Hefeweizen, Coronado Golden, Stone Pale Ale, Lost Abbey Devotion, and Goose Island. PREMIUM DRAFT: Blue Moon, Leinenkugel's Summer, Third Shift, Batch 19, Stella, Shock Top, Pacifico, Negra Modelo, Modelo Especial, and Victoria. DOMESTIC DRAFT: Coors Light, Bud Light and Budweiser. BOTTLES & CANS: Coronado Golden, Coronado Mermaid, Coronado Orange, Coronado Island IPA, Karl Strauss Amber, Karl Strauss Red, Karl Strauss IPA, Karl Strauss Pale, Ballast Point Longfin Lager, Ballast Point Calico, Ballast Point Pale Ale, Ballast Point Big Eye, Stone Pale Ale, Stone Levitation Ale, Stone IPA, Mission Blonde, Mission Amber Ale, Mission Hefeweizen, Mission IPA, Green Flash Hop Head Red, Green Flash West Coast IPA, Green Flash Double Stout, Manzanita Riverwalk, Manzanita Rustic Horizon, Alesmith "X," Alesmith Anvil Ale, Black Market Bavarian Style Hefeweizen, Black Market Brown Ale, Lightning Elemental Pilsner, Lightning Thunderweizen Ale, Lightning Fair Weather Pale Ale, Lightning Amber Ale, and Port Brewing Wipeout IPA.

As opposed to:
Craft Beer location featuring Henry Weinhards, Batch19, Third Shift and Blue Moon Agave Blonde Ale. The Miller Lite Bullpen Sports Bar also will feature Third Shift, Redd's Apple Ale and Blue Moon Agave Blonde Ale. All will be available in the new souvenir Miller Lite Bullpen Sports Bar pilsner glass. Adding to the local offerings, Ebel's Weiss from Two Brothers Brewery, a Chicagoland local brewery, and Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler
-95% of the above beers are owned by Miller.

Aside from the craft beer stand, there is still the beers of the midwest stand, which has a different selection.

SephClone89
04-26-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm really glad that the Cell has cider now. This is my first season since going gluten-free, and it's nice to have that option. (also, the nacho helmets are gluten-free!...shame the hot dog buns are gross)

DoItForDanPasqua
04-28-2013, 09:50 PM
My whine has to do with my fellow fans, many of whom apparently don't realize that the time to stand up from their seats and go to and return from the concession stands and restrooms is between innings and not anytime the idea happens to pop into their heads.

Very well said.

Jerko
04-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Very well said.

I actually stand on the concourse now because of fans popping up and down every 30 seconds. I'd rather stand all game than get up and down 1000 times.

TomBradley72
04-29-2013, 10:12 AM
I actually stand on the concourse now because of fans popping up and down every 30 seconds. I'd rather stand all game than get up and down 1000 times.

Giants ballpark does a great job of managing this- ushers stand at the top of the aisle, etc. with a sign that is basically "stop" during play, "go" during a break- works great.

TomBradley72
04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm really glad that the Cell has cider now. This is my first season since going gluten-free, and it's nice to have that option. (also, the nacho helmets are gluten-free!...shame the hot dog buns are gross)

+1

My wife and I are both gluten free now- this is a nice add.

IlliniOne82
04-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Aside from the craft beer stand, there is still the beers of the midwest stand, which has a different selection.

I went to my first game of the year Saturday night and I was very excited to see this stand. In my opinion they had a decent selection of craft beers including Oberon and Eliot Ness.

kittle42
04-30-2013, 05:41 PM
I went to my first game of the year Saturday night and I was very excited to see this stand. In my opinion they had a decent selection of craft beers including Oberon and Eliot Ness.

The Cubs still seem to think that Heineken and Labatt are craft beers.

DSpivack
04-30-2013, 05:48 PM
The Cubs still seem to think that Heineken and Labatt are craft beers.

That said, the press release the Sox put out a month or so ago advertising new craft beers was a bit of a joke (IIRC, all but one were owned by either ABInBev or MillerCoors).

Mr. Jinx
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Giants ballpark does a great job of managing this- ushers stand at the top of the aisle, etc. with a sign that is basically "stop" during play, "go" during a break- works great.

In some parks they force you to go back to your seat, even during the action. I've been yelled at before for trying to wait until after an at bat (or at least a foul ball) to return to my seat. Idiotic.

TomBradley72
05-01-2013, 09:14 AM
For me- this is a very hard team to really follow right now- the product on the field is looking like 2007 again- injuries exposing a very thin talent base leading to alot of AAAA, non prospects, scrap heap type talent on the major league roster.

A good team can cover for org weaknesses- a bad team exposes them.

The TV/radio broadcast teams (especially radio for me) are stale, the marketing is beyond stale and they are running that whole area based on surveys and social media feedback, important inputs- but they still do not seem to have a fundamental understanding of who their fan base is (this goes back to the early 80's with a few, rare exceptions).

Compounded by a weird experience/feeling when you go to the ballpark.

I don't think things felt this "off", this early (May 1)- even in 2007-

It's a very long season- IF Danks, Beckham, Viciedo came back strong- its a very different team- but probably a long shot.

KingXerxes
05-01-2013, 10:49 AM
The entirety of the marketing platform needs to be overhauled. For far too long this team has been trying to sell itself in some sort of "stream of consciousness" manner, and it simply continues with fan polls etc.

First off, the White Sox organization needs to take an inventory. An inventory identifying its competetion, and inventory identifying its strengths and an inventory identifying its weaknesses, but it has to do so in an overall manner (I'll explain) in order to reach any sort of effective marketing plan.

Take competition for example. For far too long they've viewed the Cubs as their primary competition, and, while the Cubs certainly are a competitive factor, I don't think it's the reason why the White Sox are suffering at the gate. There are many more competitors out there trying to separate people from their money (which is all marketing really is) and they include gambling facilities, vacations, basically any sort of entertainment venue (which is all a baseball game really is). These are major competitors which the White Sox go up against in addition to the Cubs.

While the Cubs have an advantage of a well developed entertainment neighborhood, this neighborhood has a rather narrow appeal to 20 to 30 somethings. The Cubs have done a remarkable job capitalizing on this demographic and I'm sure will continue to do so, but it is - in fact - only a slice of the overall pie.

The White Sox have many advantages over the Cubs (if you ignore the aforementioned demographic in which the Cubs have a clear advantage). Easy access to the park (via automobile), amenities within the park itself etc. This points to a family friendly approach.

Cut ticket prices in half for the 14 and unders, start running ads asking if a week in Disney World is really better than an entire summer at US Cellular. Does fifteen minutes in front of a slot machine (with your kids at home) really equate to taking everybody to a White Sox game?

I've been clear I think the broadcasting needs a complete play-by-play overhaul so I won't beat a dead horse, but if Wrigley Field's renovation repositions the Cubs to be able to compete for families as well as 20-30 somethings it will cut into the White Sox's competitive advantages.

This is not going to get solved with boutique beers, questionnaires or mascots. They've got inherent advantages - they've got to exploit them.

:hawk

"I loved Ol' Ballantine Beer when we went up against Johhny McGraw and Hughie Jennings in Baltimore........Mercy........."

dickallen15
05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
The entirety of the marketing platform needs to be overhauled. For far too long this team has been trying to sell itself in some sort of "stream of consciousness" manner, and it simply continues with fan polls etc.

First off, the White Sox organization needs to take an inventory. An inventory identifying its competetion, and inventory identifying its strengths and an inventory identifying its weaknesses, but it has to do so in an overall manner (I'll explain) in order to reach any sort of effective marketing plan.

Take competition for example. For far too long they've viewed the Cubs as their primary competition, and, while the Cubs certainly are a competitive factor, I don't think it's the reason why the White Sox are suffering at the gate. There are many more competitors out there trying to separate people from their money (which is all marketing really is) and they include gambling facilities, vacations, basically any sort of entertainment venue (which is all a baseball game really is). These are major competitors which the White Sox go up against in addition to the Cubs.

While the Cubs have an advantage of a well developed entertainment neighborhood, this neighborhood has a rather narrow appeal to 20 to 30 somethings. The Cubs have done a remarkable job capitalizing on this demographic and I'm sure will continue to do so, but it is - in fact - only a slice of the overall pie.

The White Sox have many advantages over the Cubs (if you ignore the aforementioned demographic in which the Cubs have a clear advantage). Easy access to the park (via automobile), amenities within the park itself etc. This points to a family friendly approach.

Cut ticket prices in half for the 14 and unders, start running ads asking if a week in Disney World is really better than an entire summer at US Cellular. Does fifteen minutes in front of a slot machine (with your kids at home) really equate to taking everybody to a White Sox game?

I've been clear I think the broadcasting needs a complete play-by-play overhaul so I won't beat a dead horse, but if Wrigley Field's renovation repositions the Cubs to be able to compete for families as well as 20-30 somethings it will cut into the White Sox's competitive advantages.

This is not going to get solved with boutique beers, questionnaires or mascots. They've got inherent advantages - they've got to exploit them.

:hawk

"I loved Ol' Ballantine Beer when we went up against Johhny McGraw and Hughie Jennings in Baltimore........Mercy........."

You must have missed it........they are marketing Sundays as Family Sundays. $10 parking, tickets as low as $5. They have face painting for kids, autograph sessions...I don't understand the go to Sox games vs. Disney World or the casino marketing campaign you are suggesting. That seems like a bigger waste of time and resources than Mullet Night.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2013, 01:42 PM
As much as I respect King and his comments over the years with the Sox, I must disagree with his overall marketing philosophy.

Even Bill Veeck, the greatest showman / fan friendly owner baseball has ever seen said, according to Jack Brickhouse, that "there's no substitute for winning..."

That's should be the first, middle and last priority in my opinion.

That doesn't mean you ignore marketing, not at all, and I agree completely that since the 'us vs. them,' and the 'grider rules' campaigns things have gone south, there's a lot that I think Brooks can do better.

But if you want to turn this franchise around, two things are needed which simply haven't been done by this ownership:

1. Consistently win...make the playoffs three years in a row or five times in seven years and then see what the fan / media situation is.

2. Take on the Cubs directly...no more of this "we're Chicago's American League team" nonsense. Start fighting for your own turf. The fact is that Cub fans simply aren't going to come and support the Sox when the Cubs are out of town and visa versa with Sox fans. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN... which makes the entire premise behind the "we're Chicago'a American League team" faulty. Take the bastards on.

Lip

doublem23
05-01-2013, 01:49 PM
no more of this "we're Chicago's American League team" nonsense.

I would like to know when the last time anyone affiliated with the Sox actually said this, or anything to that effect, because I think the answer is going to come back in the 25+ year range

WhiteSox5187
05-01-2013, 01:56 PM
I would like to know when the last time anyone affiliated with the Sox actually said this, or anything to that effect, because I think the answer is going to come back in the 25+ year range

It goes back 30 years to when Eddie Einhorn said that he thought that marketing the White Sox as the southside team or the alternative/rival to the Cubs was the wrong way to do it and that they should market themselves as "Chicago's American League team." Now whether or not that is still the view that is held by the marketing department, I don't know. The ownership is still the same and the White Sox have ceded a lot of ground to the Cubs in terms of marketing and have basically allowed the Cubs to bill themselves as Chicago's team. A lot of the reasons for that go back 30 years, but the reprecussions are still being felt today.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Exactly.

Just because something isn't spoken directly in the past few minutes or years doesn't mean the overall philosophy / outlook has changed.

EE's comments on the minor league system and the way to win (not the will to win...LOL) appear to be in place as well.

All you have to do, as Sox 5187 has said, is to look at history on both fronts in this discussion.

Just my opinion and until I see something change tangibly in these areas I'll continue to believe what came directly out of the horses mouths.

Lip

doublem23
05-01-2013, 02:13 PM
It goes back 30 years to when Eddie Einhorn said that he thought that marketing the White Sox as the southside team or the alternative/rival to the Cubs was the wrong way to do it and that they should market themselves as "Chicago's American League team." Now whether or not that is still the view that is held by the marketing department, I don't know. The ownership is still the same and the White Sox have ceded a lot of ground to the Cubs in terms of marketing and have basically allowed the Cubs to bill themselves as Chicago's team. A lot of the reasons for that go back 30 years, but the reprecussions are still being felt today.

I'm not really going to sweat over something some guy said 30 years ago that probably nobody who matters even remembers. The Cubs don't market themselves as "Chicago's Team." They market the Wrigley experience. The Sox marke their on field product ("Make an Impact", "Respect the Game," etc.). That's a problem because they've fielded approximately 5 truly competitive teams in the last 30 years.

You want to know why else they've ceded so much ground to the Cubs? Because they built an ugly stadium in a neighborhood they blighted with parking lots and the team they usually run out there is mediocre. It's not anything more than that. Build a better park, build it in better neighborhood, or build a better team.

Look how fast the Blackhawks went from complete irrelevance to fan favorite. The city responds to winning.

kittle42
05-01-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm not really going to sweat over something some guy said 30 years ago that probably nobody who matters even remembers. The Cubs don't market themselves as "Chicago's Team." They market the Wrigley experience. The Sox marke their on field product ("Make an Impact", "Respect the Game," etc.). That's a problem because they've fielded approximately 5 truly competitive teams in the last 30 years.

You want to know why else they've ceded so much ground to the Cubs? Because they built an ugly stadium in a neighborhood they blighted with parking lots and the team they usually run out there is mediocre. It's not anything more than that. Build a better park, build it in better neighborhood, or build a better team.

Look how fast the Blackhawks went from complete irrelevance to fan favorite. The city responds to winning.

Great post.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2013, 02:20 PM
As I stated earlier:

"But if you want to turn this franchise around, two things are needed which simply haven't been done by this ownership:

1. Consistently win...make the playoffs three years in a row or five times in seven years and then see what the fan / media situation is."

Winning ALWAYS is the key to anything regarding a sports team in Chicago. That is absolutely 100% true. I just feel the other areas are important too, it's all part of the package and the Sox have failed in these areas a lot over the past 30 years.

Lip

KingXerxes
05-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Lip - I also truly respect your opinion, but in this case conclude you are showing the signs of being exposed to a thirty year marketing program.

Obviously winning brings out fans, it's getting fans out there when you're not winning which is the tricky part. You are - in fact - taking on the Cubs by differentiating yourself. Going head to head against them is a losing proposition.

doublem23
05-01-2013, 03:23 PM
As I stated earlier:

"But if you want to turn this franchise around, two things are needed which simply haven't been done by this ownership:

1. Consistently win...make the playoffs three years in a row or five times in seven years and then see what the fan / media situation is."

Winning ALWAYS is the key to anything regarding a sports team in Chicago. That is absolutely 100% true. I just feel the other areas are important too, it's all part of the package and the Sox have failed in these areas a lot over the past 30 years.

Lip

There are other things the Sox can do better, I just don't think that anyone cares that somebody called the Sox Chicago's AL team 33 years ago...

I have a feeling if you walked around Chicago today and asked people, "What did Eddie Einhorn say about the Sox in 1980?" the response you would get are:

75% - Who is Eddie Einhorn?
24.9% - Who cares about 1980?
0.1% - Chicago's American League team

The Sox have plenty of on and off field challenges; that's not one of them.

Golden Sox
05-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Most younger White Sox fans don't even know who Einhorn is. He was the one who wanted to move the White Sox to Florida. When that didn't happen he sold most of his shares of the White Sox to Reinsdorf and has basically disappeared from Chicago. He lives in Arizona and has nothing to do with the White Sox. He didn't like being the second team in Chicago and would of rather moved the team to St. Pete. Anybody who would rather have a team in St. Pete instead of Chicago is an idiot. The Rays are in a one team market and have had good teams recently and they still can't draw or make any type of big money.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Golden:

Your statement that EE has nothing to do with the Sox appears to be incorrect.

The 2013 Sox media guide lists him on the board of directors as well as being the vice chairman.

There has also been speculation that his daughter wants to own the Sox when JR leaves the scene.

JR and EE have been friends and partners for over 50 years. Given JR's loyalty I seriously doubt that EE's opinions and views aren't at least considered...and we know what he's said about how to win and what the Sox place in the Chicago market should be.

Lip

DumpJerry
05-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Most younger White Sox fans don't even know who Einhorn is. He was the one who wanted to move the White Sox to Florida. When that didn't happen he sold most of his shares of the White Sox to Reinsdorf and has basically disappeared from Chicago. He lives in Arizona and has nothing to do with the White Sox. He didn't like being the second team in Chicago and would of rather moved the team to St. Pete. Anybody who would rather have a team in St. Pete instead of Chicago is an idiot. The Rays are in a one team market and have had good teams recently and they still can't draw or make any type of big money.
Einhorn is probably one of the biggest reasons why the Cubs, under the Tribune ownership, took off in popularity. The Trib bought the Cubs around the same time JR and EE bought the Sox. Einhorn is the one who wanted to take the Sox off free television and have his company, Sportvision, broadcast the games. This was before Chicago was wired for cable. The Sox disappeared from the public because to watch them, you had to buy a box from Sportsvision. While such a move today is routine, in 1981, it was bad decisionmaking.

Standing Ovation
05-01-2013, 06:58 PM
1. My kids would choose a week at Disney World over a summer at US Cellular. Shoot, the way the team is playing, I would too.

2. Not sure if it had to be another Midwest League team to take over in Kane County,but if it didn't, the Sox blew it by letting the Cubs taking over the Cougars.

KingXerxes
05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
I need to make myself clearer. Changing the marketing approach is mutually exclusive from fielding a competitive team. I do not expect the GM, scouts and coaches shift their priorities away from success on the field while a new marketing program is rolled out. Should the team be successful it will compliment the marketing efforts and visa versa.

Someone posted they didn't understand the marketing correlation between Disney World, gambling boats etc. and I'll try to explain that as well. Marketing, in it's purest form, is the art of separating people from their cash because they want your product. A Disney vacation, a trip to the Horseshoe and a White Sox game are all products. They all compete with one another for a household's entertainment dollar. The White Sox have to start marketing their entire product - not just piecemeal parts of it. Their approach just isn't cohesive enough.

A few years ago, SI had an article which complimented the Cubs on being able to turn a baseball game into a "fiesta" (I think that was the term they used) and it focused on the entire event being a celebration of sorts in addition to a baseball game. The White Sox are, and have been, missing that element for a long time. People go to Disney to have a good time (personally I don't think that's possible), they go to Horseshoe to have a good time but with the White Sox - as has been posted on this blog for over ten years - well they must win in order for people to call it a good time. Sure winning is important, and the entire organization needs to look at each loss as a failure, but that cannot be the outlook of the fans, and correctly marketing this team would go a long way toward separating the two.

For those who posit that if the White Sox win people will fill the place, I respectfully ask for an explanation of last September's attendance while the White Sox were in first place. That stretch of games showed me something is very wrong in White Sox Country. People didn't show up.

Brian26
05-01-2013, 08:50 PM
2. Take on the Cubs directly...no more of this "we're Chicago's American League team" nonsense. Start fighting for your own turf. The fact is that Cub fans simply aren't going to come and support the Sox when the Cubs are out of town and visa versa with Sox fans. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN... which makes the entire premise behind the "we're Chicago'a American League team" faulty. Take the bastards on.

Lip

Didn't the Sox take on the Cubs at the end of '04 or in '05 when Brooks first came aboard? Or am I'm confusing myself with those Pepsi commercials where Magglio loaded up Sosa's tacos with hot sauce?

KingXerxes
05-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Didn't the Sox take on the Cubs at the end of '04 or in '05 when Brooks first came aboard? Or am I'm confusing myself with those Pepsi commercials where Magglio loaded up Sosa's tacos with hot sauce?

It has been a very strange approach toward the Cubs. Guillen trashing Wrigley comes to mind as being the most prominent, or Reinsdorf - almost at the pinnacle of accomplishment (going to the '05 World Series and waiting for the NL pennant winner) - uttering something which I considered the height of stupidity about wishing St. Louis would win the pennant in order to vex Cubs fans. Why in God's name he would invoke anything about the Cubs in that situation was, and still is, beyond me.

I don't think that's what meant by "taking on the Cubs" or at least I hope not, because in my opinion it makes the White Sox look small.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2013, 09:11 PM
This and That:

Dump, personally I don't care for EE myself but as you suggest his ideas were brilliant especially connected with the TV aspect. SportsVision was ahead of its time but failed because of the economy, the newness of the idea and because as you said Chicago was the wrong market (two team town) to try it.

EE was part of the effort to move to Florida in large part because of the TV revenue that would have been generated by such a move. According to Helyar in his book, "The Lords of the Realm," the Sox without selling a single ticket had they moved to Florida would have been the second most profitable team in MLB just because of the TV deal they could have had. Again as a Sox fan, I hated that idea but I have to give EE credit, he knew TV money was going to drive the sport and as history has shown it is, just ask the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Rangers and Dodgers.

King, as I talked about in my two part history of the Sox and the media since the 1950's, being in first place for three months after a losing season the year before and without even having back to back winning seasons since 05-06 is not the way to get skeptical fans to come out. Winning means, as other have said, a legit contender for the playoffs, not only by winning a crappy diivsion with 85 wins or so, but a legit contender for the pennant. And having that opinion for a few years in a row.

Brian, he did and then for some reason he stopped the approach. Don't know why as the fans loved the two campaigns (us vs. them, grinder rules). Was it his call or was he overruled by someone higher up in the organization?

Lip

GoSox2K3
05-02-2013, 10:34 AM
This and That:

Dump, personally I don't care for EE myself but as you suggest his ideas were brilliant especially connected with the TV aspect. SportsVision was ahead of its time but failed because of the economy, the newness of the idea and because as you said Chicago was the wrong market (two team town) to try it.

EE was part of the effort to move to Florida in large part because of the TV revenue that would have been generated by such a move. According to Helyar in his book, "The Lords of the Realm," the Sox without selling a single ticket had they moved to Florida would have been the second most profitable team in MLB just because of the TV deal they could have had. Again as a Sox fan, I hated that idea but I have to give EE credit, he knew TV money was going to drive the sport and as history has shown it is, just ask the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Rangers and Dodgers.

King, as I talked about in my two part history of the Sox and the media since the 1950's, being in first place for three months after a losing season the year before and without even having back to back winning seasons since 05-06 is not the way to get skeptical fans to come out. Winning means, as other have said, a legit contender for the playoffs, not only by winning a crappy diivsion with 85 wins or so, but a legit contender for the pennant. And having that opinion for a few years in a row.

Brian, he did and then for some reason he stopped the approach. Don't know why as the fans loved the two campaigns (us vs. them, grinder rules). Was it his call or was he overruled by someone higher up in the organization?

Lip

Amen.

After 25 years of moves that shrunk this team's fan base (moving to premium pay TV, bad initial design of "New Comiskey", the white flag trade), the Sox finally got the huge shot in the arm they needed with the 2005 WS win.

The problem is they didn't sustain that success. I don't think it would have necessarily have required another WS, but no back to back winning seasons since in the last six years and no back to back post season appearances ever is not good enough. Look at the Angels - they still have their one and only WS win in 2002, but they have been legitimate playoff contenders most years since then.

Like you said, you can't just get hot for 3 months after an awful year and expect to suddenly have a packed house. I know the Sox fan bashers on this site like to think otherwise, but they're just ignoring reality.

As far as the "game experience" topic goes, I loved that "pirates of the Caribbean" intro video, but it really says something when fans feel like that's one of the highlights of going to the game. The Sox, in their survey obsession, should be hearing this from the fans that they should be ashamed of themselves that the product on the field has been so uninspiring over the last 5 years that fans are so passionate about the freaking intro video.

.....that being said, the fact that they felt like they had to mess with the popular intro video really says something about the problems with the Sox marketing department.

TaylorStSox
05-02-2013, 11:01 AM
We can all talk in circles until we're blue in the face, but what this really comes down to is attracting the casual fan. The Sox dropped the ball on that 20 years ago when they decided to rebuild the park in Bridgeport and not the South Loop or Near West Side. They should have marketed against the Cubs by promoting night games vs day games in a modern ballpark with the skyline as the back drop. They could have tied it in the success of the Bulls and Blackhawks (present).

The only place to go from here is to market the team to families based on affordability vs. other forms of entertainment. That will probably only help marginally. Hell, build a water park in one of the parking lots. That will get the kids back out.

kittle42
05-02-2013, 11:33 AM
We can all talk in circles until we're blue in the face, but what this really comes down to is attracting the casual fan. The Sox dropped the ball on that 20 years ago when they decided to rebuild the park in Bridgeport and not the South Loop or Near West Side.

Amen. Location of park v. Wrigley was horrible idea given the lack of neighborhood entertainment and the perception that the neighborhood sucks.

Whitesox029
05-04-2013, 01:27 PM

For those who posit that if the White Sox win people will fill the place, I respectfully ask for an explanation of last September's attendance while the White Sox were in first place. That stretch of games showed me something is very wrong in White Sox Country. People didn't show up.

As I think someone already mentioned, when we say that winning draws, we're not talking about a team that unexpectedly contends for 5 months, collapses down the stretch, does nothing in the offseason, and predictably stumbles out of the gate the next year, thus fulfilling the prognostications of most experts. We're talking about a team that makes the playoffs 5+ years in a row, to the point where it's considered a foregone conclusion by everyone that they will be in contention. Every year we go through the same thing-- "no one's picking the Sox, but if this and this and this and this all go right, they could surprise some people". No. People will start showing up (this especially applies to April and May) consistently when the conversation in February is consistently about "Who's the Sox' biggest challenger for the division crown this year?"

Max Power
05-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Didn't JR say something about being "Chicago's American League team" when he accepted the WS trophy? I guess it has been awhile though.

I'm afraid the Sox have blown a golden opportunity to increase their market share in Chicago. Everyone knew the Cubs would be terrible for at least several years starting in 2012. The Sox should have been aggressive about assembling a playoff-level team during this time period and capturing the baseball interest in the area.

FielderJones
05-09-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm afraid the Sox have blown a golden opportunity to increase their market share in Chicago. Everyone knew the Cubs would be terrible for at least several years starting in 2012. The Sox should have been aggressive about assembling a playoff-level team during this time period and capturing the baseball interest in the area.

If the Sox are profitable with the market share that they have, why would they become less profitable to increase market share? I have to think that JR has the franchise in the place where he's satisfied.

Max Power
05-09-2013, 04:14 PM
If the Sox are profitable with the market share that they have, why would they become less profitable to increase market share? I have to think that JR has the franchise in the place where he's satisfied.

He could spend more money now in the hopes it will pay off in the future due to a larger fan base. Of course JR is 77 so he might not be interested in sacrificing short term profit for potential long term gains. I think your last sentence probably nails it.

Dan H
05-11-2013, 08:25 AM
He could spend more money now in the hopes it will pay off in the future due to a larger fan base. Of course JR is 77 so he might not be interested in sacrificing short term profit for potential long term gains. I think your last sentence probably nails it.

You are right. Fielder's last sentence does nail it. From appearances, the organization does not seem to worry about the losing. It is great for the investors if they make money; not so hot for the fans who are stuck watching a bad team.

kittle42
05-11-2013, 11:25 AM
My friend went to the game last night. He had a bad time because the Sox played like ****. End of complaints.

thomas35forever
05-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Decided to post this here rather than start a new thread about it.

While walking down the ramp after the game tonight, I saw the giant pictures from the '05 World Series with appropriate captions. One part about it upset me. Apparently, in the caption describing Konerko's grand slam, somebody either wrote or carved a certain slur that rhymes with "rag" next to our captain's name.

Does any team employee even know about this? Vandalism of this kind should not be tolerated at the ballpark. Okay, if it was a playground restroom or highway tunnel in the city, it wouldn't phase me as much because you expect that stuff there. At a Major League park though? And on a piece that celebrates a proud moment for this franchise? Absolutely baffling. Kids can see that too. I don't know or care who decided to be a junior high student, but can this please be fixed? People really should not have to see that.

amsteel
05-12-2013, 01:21 AM

While walking down the ramp after the game tonight, I saw the giant pictures from the '05 World Series with appropriate captions. One part about it upset me. Apparently, in the caption describing Konerko's grand slam, somebody either wrote or carved a certain slur that rhymes with "rag" next to our captain's name.

Does any team employee even know about this? Vandalism of this kind should not be tolerated at the ballpark. Okay, if it was a playground restroom or highway tunnel in the city, it wouldn't phase me as much because you expect that stuff there. At a Major League park though? And on a piece that celebrates a proud moment for this franchise? Absolutely baffling. Kids can see that too. I don't know or care who decided to be a junior high student, but can this please be fixed? People really should not have to see that.

The ramps after games are essentially a free for all with zero enforcement of anything. But god forbid if you try to carry the beer you bought out of the park.

I'd be willing to bet if you got a hold of the Sox regarding this they'd actually do something. See if you can somehow pin it on Adam Dunn. Maybe if he gets caught graffito tagging things he'll get moved down in the order.

beasly213
05-13-2013, 09:10 AM

Did you tell anyone? I'm sure if you let someone know they would take care of it.

TomBradley72
05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Did you tell anyone? I'm sure if you let someone know they would take care of it.

Keep in mind- this is the org that kept washed out pinwheels, etc. on the 300 level for 10 years following the 2003 All Star game-

BainesHOF
05-14-2013, 01:03 AM
At Sunday's game, I paid $17 for a sandwich and beer and took them to my seat for the start of the game. It turned out the sandwich was dry. It did not have the mustard or mayo that I requested on my order sheet.

Late in the game I bought nachos. The nachos were stale.

Typical.

Jerko
05-14-2013, 09:38 AM
At Sunday's game, I paid $17 for a sandwich and beer and took them to my seat for the start of the game. It turned out the sandwich was dry. It did not have the mustard or mayo that I requested on my order sheet.

Late in the game I bought nachos. The nachos were stale.

Typical.

Probably selling the same batch they had for opening day.

Hitmen77
05-14-2013, 10:49 AM
We can all talk in circles until we're blue in the face, but what this really comes down to is attracting the casual fan. The Sox dropped the ball on that 20 years ago when they decided to rebuild the park in Bridgeport and not the South Loop or Near West Side. They should have marketed against the Cubs by promoting night games vs day games in a modern ballpark with the skyline as the back drop. They could have tied it in the success of the Bulls and Blackhawks (present).

The only place to go from here is to market the team to families based on affordability vs. other forms of entertainment. That will probably only help marginally. Hell, build a water park in one of the parking lots. That will get the kids back out.

I want to say that it was Harold Washington who told the Sox that the city would accept only the Bridgeport location for a new Sox stadium. That's my recollection - that it wasn't the Sox decision to stay at their current location.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not certain I'm remembering this correctly.

Amen. Location of park v. Wrigley was horrible idea given the lack of neighborhood entertainment and the perception that the neighborhood sucks.

It was even worse during the 1st decade of New Comiskey's existence. To many people in Chicago, all they knew was that the new park faced crime-ridden housing projects. The area has gotten much better since then, but there's still essentially nothing around the park to attract the casual fan.

I have to wonder, though, if any location for the new Sox Park would have been good enough. Even if they had built the park in the South Loop, people would still say that "it's not Wrigleyville" and "there's not that much right around the park to draw casual fans".

....I don't know....there's no denying that Wrigleyville is a huge draw for the Cubs and that the Sox would benefit if they had their own Wrigleyville-type area around their park. I just think maybe this issue is a bit overrated as the core of this team's problems. After 2005, people didn't seem to be complaining about the neighborhood or how "ugly" the park is. I just think that if the Sox hadn't spent the last 23 years with only 2 stretches where they were considered legitimate playoff/pennant contenders (1991-94 and 2004-2006) - and each of those with only 1 playoff appearance, the ballpark location wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Hitmen:

You are correct, Washington insisted on the location.

Lip

TomBradley72
05-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Probably selling the same batch they had for opening day.

I remember going to Sox games when the "souvenir" cups we're from the previous year (last years schedule, etc.)

dickallen15
05-14-2013, 12:47 PM
I remember going to Sox games when the "souvenir" cups we're from the previous year (last years schedule, etc.)

Or back many many years ago when I was a kid and would get a coke with the saran wrap on top, with the flattest coke of all time underneath.

bunkaroo
05-14-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty much at the point where I will likely give the remaining tickets I have to friends. I know they're not going to win a division, and that's fine. But I can't see spending money to get there and park to get stale food and watch a team that has about a 20% chance of winning on any given day. Really sad. I haven't watched a full game on TV in 2 weeks. Last year I watched 90% of them in full.

Hitmen77
05-14-2013, 01:51 PM

EE was right about predicting that the big money in baseball will be regional "SportsVision"-type networks.....but only to a certain extent. Remember, EE didn't set up SportsVision as a basic cable-type network, it was a PREMIUM pay channel. It was $15/month in 1982 - that's equivalent to something like $35/month in today's dollars. That type of fee to see broadcasts of a local MLB team would be a total failure today too.

To be fair, their options were limited in '82. The Sox had no good free TV options and Chicago was a few years away from being wired for cable TV. So, SportVision had to be broadcast via the much more expensive "over the air" pay channel route. So, it's not all EE's fault. Nonetheless, they totally overestimated the willingness of fans to pay premium channel prices to see the Sox. Chicagoland started getting cable over the next few years after SportsVision's launch and the channel moved over to cable. But, if I remember correctly, they still kept SportsVision as a premium channel even after they moved it to cable. By the time they made SportsVision a basic cable channel, it was too late - the Sox were mired in their 1986-88 irrelevance, the Cubs had taken over this town, and EE was more interested in moving to St. Petersburg than in making the Sox competitive in the Chicago market.

I'll never forget seeing EE on TV back then talking about SportsVision and pretty much telling Sox fans that they just better get used to it and stop complaining about it. It was infuriating and insulting to hear. Typical marketing charm from the current Sox ownership.

As I think someone already mentioned, when we say that winning draws, we're not talking about a team that unexpectedly contends for 5 months, collapses down the stretch, does nothing in the offseason, and predictably stumbles out of the gate the next year, thus fulfilling the prognostications of most experts. We're talking about a team that makes the playoffs 5+ years in a row, to the point where it's considered a foregone conclusion by everyone that they will be in contention. Every year we go through the same thing-- "no one's picking the Sox, but if this and this and this and this all go right, they could surprise some people". No. People will start showing up (this especially applies to April and May) consistently when the conversation in February is consistently about "Who's the Sox' biggest challenger for the division crown this year?"

You guys are absolutely right.

This is what people fail to understand when they point to the Sox 2012 attendance as "proof" that fans won't show up even when they win.

The team came off an utterly disappointing and infuriating 2011 season, did nothing in the offseason, and pretty much acknowledged they were not in it to win when they hired a manager with zero professional coaching experience for "on the job training". This means they went into 2012 will weak season tickets and advance ticket sales.

....and yet people seriously lay the blame on Sox fans because the team didn't suddenly erase 5 years of ticket sales decline in a few months with their typical "we'll get hot in June and collapse in the end" performance.

Tree Hate Me
05-14-2013, 03:50 PM
I usually get to the ballpark 5 to 10 times a year (less lately since we have a toddler) and Saturday night was my first game of the year since I had the flu around Opening Day. A few observations:

Good
-Park staff was generally cheerful and helpful.

-I'm late to the party on the whole "Pirates" video intro deal, but I thought the new one was OK. I still prefer the old one though.

-Midwest Beers stand has a tasty selection. My friend and I went through a few Barfly and Mad Hatter IPA's.

-For the first time I saw the "Rise Above" texting program actually work. A drunk guy was horsing around in the aisle in the 3rd inning and wound up falling into a man and his young son who were seated. Apparently the drunk wasn't very apologetic and continued up the steps to the concourse. Security personnel came down the next inning to let his friends know someone had better take responsibility for their drunk pal, or else he'd be tossed. His sister was sitting behind us and was pretty lippy and defensive about it, saying she had a "group of a hunnert people" there and wondered if she had to "buy the guy an f-ing hot dog or something" to make amends.

Shortly after this the sister got a call on her cell that the drunk had been ejected from the park. Based on their conversations for the rest of the game this was not a surprise to her group. Bravo to Sox security for taking care of business.

Bad
-At the top of our section (108) I didn't see anyone checking tickets before or during the game, and we got to our seats around 5:30. The big group mentioned above kept coming down in waves throughout the game (they were very busy going outside to smoke and/or buy more beers) and more often than not they would come back down the wrong aisle and have to inch their way past 8 or 10 people to get to their seats. The product on the field isn't much to look at lately, but it's hard to do so when you're craning your neck around a bunch of goofs every inning or so.

-Postgame parking lot attendants continue to be less than helpful. They just can't wait to get you out of the lots so you can sit in bumper to bumper traffic on the side streets around the stadium and go nowhere for 20 minutes.

ChiSoxFann
05-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Keep in mind- this is the org that kept washed out pinwheels, etc. on the 300 level for 10 years following the 2003 All Star game-

And the tattered Luke Appling mural outside Gate 3 for many years before replacing it recently. I remember being on Sunday Night Baseball in the early 2000s and they showed that gate (with the Frank Tomas, Joe Jackson, Carlton Fisk, etc murals) and the Appling one was all tore up for national TV to see. Embarrassing.

I will agree with the poster who said the pricing structure is much better. I was pleasantly surprised to see 28k on Konerko bobblehead night even though it was kind of cold and the team is crappy. Park staff even seemed a little more cheerful than usual in the 500 level.

Harry Potter
06-29-2013, 09:22 PM
I've already written about my issues with the vendors, or rather lack thereof, at the double header yesterday http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3065969&postcount=10

I was wondering if anyone else experienced the sudden, and unannounced, change to the scan in / scan out policy today and the Billy Pierce statue giveaway.

As the fans have done in the past, me included, we would scan our ticket, receive our item, have the red-shirted gate worker near the Fan Pass exit scan our ticket, we would return said promotional item to our cars, then have our ticket re-scanned when we entered the park for good. This cycle happened for the Baines bobblehead on April 27th and the Konerko bobblehead on May 11th.

Only today, this was no longer the policy. Someone higher up decided to change the rules but never told us fans until it was too late. As a result, you had a LOT of angry fans who expected to be able to return to the car with their statues and continue tailgating in the gorgeous 70 degree weather this afternoon.

Was it a problem with the hand-held scanners today and this won't be an issue at the next game? All I know is when talking to the red-shirted gate workers they did not know and seemed to be as caught off guard as the fans were. Even the security guards up front who check your bags were unaware of the change. They kept telling people they could scan out and come back - like we've done all year.

It's one thing to change the policy unexpectedly but the least the organization could have done was either put a sign up at the gate or tell people of the change before they scanned their ticket. This is yet another example of the lack of communication between the organization and it's employees and between the organization and the fan base.

After about 45 minutes, a worker finally told the fans they could go to guest services behind Section 133 and request a pass that would allow you to leave the park, return to your car, then re-enter. Of course, the guest services people were completely caught off guard when a large group of fed up fans showed up all at once and asked for passes to leave.

Mr. Jinx
06-29-2013, 09:27 PM
I've already written about my issues with the vendors, or rather lack thereof, at the double header yesterday http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3065969&postcount=10

I was wondering if anyone else experienced the sudden, and unannounced, change to the scan in / scan out policy today and the Billy Pierce statue giveaway.

As the fans have done in the past, me included, we would scan our ticket, receive our item, have the red-shirted gate worker near the Fan Pass exit scan our ticket, we would return said promotional item to our cars, then have our ticket re-scanned when we entered the park for good. This cycle happened for the Baines bobblehead on April 27th and the Konerko bobblehead on May 11th.

Only today, this was no longer the policy. Someone higher up decided to change the rules but never told us fans until it was too late. As a result, you had a LOT of angry fans who expected to be able to return to the car with their statues and continue tailgating in the gorgeous 70 degree weather this afternoon.

Was it a problem with the hand-held scanners today and this won't be an issue at the next game? All I know is when talking to the red-shirted gate workers they did not know and seemed to be as caught off guard as the fans were. Even the security guards up front who check your bags were unaware of the change. They kept telling people they could scan out and come back - like we've done all year.

It's one thing to change the policy unexpectedly but the least the organization could have done was either put a sign up at the gate or tell people of the change before they scanned their ticket. This is yet another example of the lack of communication between the organization and it's employees and between the organization and the fan base.

After about 45 minutes, a worker finally told the fans they could go to guest services behind Section 133 and request a pass that would allow you to leave the park, return to your car, then re-enter. Of course, the guest services people were completely caught off guard when a large group of fed up fans showed up all at once and asked for passes to leave.

Sounds just like the mess that was getting a "stamp" on your upper deck ticket to go to the lower deck as a season ticket holder. Nobody knows what the **** is going on. This is easily the worst run franchise (from a fan friendly perspective) that I've ever seen, Dollar Bill Wirtz notwithstanding.

ChiSoxFann
06-30-2013, 11:38 AM

My sister ran into the same problem yesterday. She mentioned how it was a hassle trying to get out and back in the stadium and then I read this thread this morning and see she's not the only one. I don't recall everything she said, but she did say they told her to go to guest relations and they, of course, had no idea what was going on. She eventually got a smokers pass or something by the Baccardi at the Park entrance, which gave her 20 mins to get the statue back to the car and come back to the stadium.

Also, I'm never one to complain about loud music/sounds at a sporting event, but that ad for that Disney movie with the monster screaming between innings was really annoying.

Milw
06-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Here's one thing the Sox could learn from the Cubs: if the product on the field is pathetic, you better absolutely nail the guest services aspect. Clueless ushers and slow, argumentative food service workers and an aloof marketing department are nuisances when the team is winning. When the team is a joke, the incompetence on the periphery becomes the difference between a nice day at the ballpark, win or lose, and a downright miserable time.

This season has overwhelmingly been a miserable time.

dickallen15
06-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't have the issues a lot of people have here but I do wonder why the start shutting down concession stands in the 7th inning. I was starving and eventually had to settle for the dippin dots stand because it was one of the few still serving in the 7th. Then the lady in front of me buys an ice cream bar the guy says 4.75, she shows him 4.50 on the menu, he says that was last year's prices, that they have changed but still have the old menu. I have defended them, but that is pretty hard to defend. Its almost July, if you can't print a new price sheet, just use the old ones. I decided to pass on the ice cream.

Jerko
07-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Here's one thing the Sox could learn from the Cubs: if the product on the field is pathetic, you better absolutely nail the guest services aspect. Clueless ushers and slow, argumentative food service workers and an aloof marketing department are nuisances when the team is winning. When the team is a joke, the incompetence on the periphery becomes the difference between a nice day at the ballpark, win or lose, and a downright miserable time.

This season has overwhelmingly been a miserable time.

They better never bitch about attendance because the actual game-day experience at that park is brutal for casual fans. I go stand in my spot and have a few beers, and wherever I turn there's somebody I know, so it doesn't really bother me, but *** if I took a first-timer to a game they'd never come back. Is it too much to get a fresh hot dog without having to walk 3 miles? I was going to get a sausage sandwich yesterday but the stand right by me was closed. So **** em. They don't care I don't care.

voodoochile
07-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Please pick a thread. You already have started a second thread about vendors. We don't need two threads on the same topic.

Thanks.

BainesHOF
07-04-2013, 01:21 AM
The $3 sausage promotion on July 3 was great, as long as you took advantage of it by the sixth inning. I went to buy an Italian sausage with marina and couldn't. Italians, Polishes and premium dogs for $3 were either sold out or the stands shut down. I walked completely around the lower bowl and couldn't buy one. At one stand they had a couple of sad-looking Italian sausages on a nearly-empty grill so I ordered one, but then was informed that stand was out of marina sauce.

The promotion should have stated "while supplies last" or "through six innings" or something like that. I was hungry and ticked off. Apparently it's too much to ask to be able to buy a basic item after the sixth inning. After I came up empty on my trip around the park I reluctantly settled on buying a deluxe burger...but was told the stand was closed. In fact, a lot of stands shut down by the seventh inning. I asked a worker if the stands always close in the seventh and was told "pretty much." At that point, I didn't want to give the Sox any more of my money, but, like I said, I was hungry so I found the deluxe sandwich stand near the right-field corner was open. You have to fill out a form to check everything you want on the sandwich. I finally returned to my seat and found that neither the mustard or mayo that I ordered was on the sandwich.

This organization is a train wreck from top to bottom.

RadioheadRocks
07-04-2013, 01:52 AM
Promotions at the Cell are definitely low-caliber as far as I'm concerned. Really, they're STILL doing MULLET NIGHT??? Great, let's have a promotion to make our fan base look like a bunch of dumb-ass hicks!!!

Wedema
07-09-2013, 12:38 AM
The scoreboard tonight said that Phegley went to Indiana State when he is from IU. Also, the escalators down to Bacardi and the Park have been broken since Tuesday. Tonight, as I left during the eighth inning, a red shirt told me I have to exit down the ramps. I told him that I am going down the stairs and walked right by him.

Jerko
07-10-2013, 11:11 AM
The whole "stands being closed" thing has pissed me off for years. I've sent emails before and was told that was "uncacceptable", yet it seems to be getting worse as the years go on. Like I said in another thread, I find enough things at the park to still enjoy going, but there is no way they'll ever get new or return customers that aren't as crazy as I am if they keep operating the way they are. They do a piss-poor job of making fans feel like they're actually welcome at the park and not just being a bother.

kittle42
07-10-2013, 11:38 AM
The whole "stands being closed" thing has pissed me off for years. I've sent emails before and was told that was "uncacceptable", yet it seems to be getting worse as the years go on. Like I said in another thread, I find enough things at the park to still enjoy going, but there is no way they'll ever get new or return customers that aren't as crazy as I am if they keep operating the way they are. They do a piss-poor job of making fans feel like they're actually welcome at the park and not just being a bother.

I was at Busch Stadium this past weekend. $45,000+ fans and I never had to wait more than 3 minutes for any order - food or beverage. What a welcome change.

Jerko
07-10-2013, 11:47 AM
I was at Busch Stadium this past weekend. $45,000+ fans and I never had to wait more than 3 minutes for any order - food or beverage. What a welcome change.

Isn't that a kicker? It takes 20 minutes to go get a burger during a day game at the Cell with 18000 people there because half of the field is funneled to one stand (the fan deck). What a joke. I'm glad I live close and usually eat something before I get there.

Wedema
07-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Isn't that a kicker? It takes 20 minutes to go get a burger during a day game at the Cell with 18000 people there because half of the field is funneled to one stand (the fan deck). What a joke. I'm glad I live close and usually eat something before I get there.

It was even worse on the dollar hot dog days. There is one worker at the stand behind 129 who is always real friendly and fast but even she seemed flustered that there were lots of people in line ordering lots of hot dogs on those days.

Jerko
07-10-2013, 04:23 PM
It was even worse on the dollar hot dog days. There is one worker at the stand behind 129 who is always real friendly and fast but even she seemed flustered that there were lots of people in line ordering lots of hot dogs on those days.

They have to realize even if the crowd is small, if there's a dollar this or dollar that promotion going on, they WILL be busy. IIRC, the 2nd of the "fan on the field nights" (I was lucky enough to be at both) they got caught with their pants down because it was a huge walkup crowd and of course the ballpark was understaffed based on their advance ticket sale projections.

skobabe8
07-11-2013, 10:57 AM

I've been to 3 ballparks this year, and I've had better experiences at the two that my favorite team doesn't play at.

Seriously, the staffs at PNC and Miller Park are so friendly and accommodating it's a shock to the system.

kittle42
07-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I've been to 3 ballparks this year, and I've had better experiences at the two that my favorite team doesn't play at.

Seriously, the staffs at PNC and Miller Park are so friendly and accommodating it's a shock to the system.

I have yet to be to one worse than the Cell in this regard, which is part of the reason I am in no hurry to go see a horrible team. I mean, fun at the ol' ballpark is diminished when the only "fun" is on the field. The staff at Wrigley isn't great on the friendly vibe, but they are at least efficient overall.

DeadMoney
07-11-2013, 11:35 AM
I have yet to be to one worse than the Cell in this regard, which is part of the reason I am in no hurry to go see a horrible team. I mean, fun at the ol' ballpark is diminished when the only "fun" is on the field. The staff at Wrigley isn't great on the friendly vibe, but they are at least efficient overall.

Yep. I've been to 25+ parks and have seen the same thing over and over again - the customer service at the Cell is probably bottom 5 in MLB. Heck, even the worst parks in MLB - like the ****hole in Oakland for example - have better customer service.

Jerko
07-11-2013, 11:56 AM
It's always somebody else's fault. Problem with the venders? "Sportservice controls that". Well, you HIRED them they should answer to you.

Problem with the crossing guards almost getting you flattened? "The city forces us to hire them".

No stands open? "That's unacceptable", then fewer stands are open the next homestand.

The ushers don't know the answer to any question they get asked? "Oh they are students who had to go to school when we had training".

Now I haven't been to any other MLB ballparks, but I do attend other sporting events and the Cell is the only place that half-asses it during a professional game (and I've been to some dumps).

Wedema
07-11-2013, 12:16 PM
It's always somebody else's fault. Problem with the venders? "Sportservice controls that". Well, you HIRED them they should answer to you.

Problem with the crossing guards almost getting you flattened? "The city forces us to hire them".

No stands open? "That's unacceptable", then fewer stands are open the next homestand.

The ushers don't know the answer to any question they get asked? "Oh they are students who had to go to school when we had training".

Now I haven't been to any other MLB ballparks, but I do attend other sporting events and the Cell is the only place that half-asses it during a professional game (and I've been to some dumps).

It is also the ticket booth attendants who are clueless. When I walked up to the Sunday June 30 game and asked for three $5 upper deck tickets, the attendant told me lower deck tickets are only $15 today. I said upper deck is ok as we can get down for the kids day autographs. She told me that I could not get down with upper deck tickets. I told her that unless they changed the policy today that we could. She said she was going to check with her supervisor and came back and said no lower deck access without a lower deck ticket. I told her to let her supervisor know that he doesn't know what he is talking about and proceeded into the park and the lower level for the kids day autographs. We then sat on the fan deck (yes, it was actually open to the public) for the game.

Hitmen77
07-13-2013, 11:58 AM

Over the years, I have come to expect that even if there is only a single person/family ahead of me in line at a USCF concession, i'll miss an entire 1/2 inning of play before I get my food.

The reason the lines are long is that the service is painfully slow. The stands are so inefficient it's maddening. Even a simple order of a brat and a beer seems to take forever for them to ring it up and give me my food.

That's pretty much how the entire organization is run. There's no accountability. The people who left this farm system and major league team in a shambles are never held accountable for years and years of failing to build up a strong core of young talent. They seem more interested in hiring former Sox players than to bring in people who will really get this franchise back on track.

Milw
07-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Over the years, I have come to expect that even if there is only a single person/family ahead of me in line at a USCF concession, i'll miss an entire 1/2 inning of play before I get my food.

The reason the lines are long is that the service is painfully slow. The stands are so inefficient.

Makes you wonder how much revenue they leave on the table from people who don't want to bother with the slowness. Never mind how many people just never come back to the stadium.

This stuff doesn't matter as much as the quality of the team... But it matters because it indirectly affects the quality of the team. Not to mention all of our sanity.

Dan H
07-15-2013, 06:43 AM

Your statement "It's always someone else's fault," is the tag line to this organization. Instead of fixing problems, they point fingers. Meanwhile problems remain unsolved and they piss off the most loyal fan. Then they wonder if why they have attendance problems. Other businesses that are run this way usually go bankrupt.

doublem23
07-15-2013, 06:46 AM
That's pretty much how the entire organization is run. There's no accountability. The people who left this farm system and major league team in a shambles are never held accountable for years and years of failing to build up a strong core of young talent. They seem more interested in hiring former Sox players than to bring in people who will really get this franchise back on track.

Well, I am pretty sure that Dave Wilder is in jail right now, so yeah, I'd say he's being held accountable. Oh, and Greg Walker has to live in Atlanta, so he might even have it worse.

beasly213
07-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Well, I am pretty sure that Dave Wilder is in jail right now, so yeah, I'd say he's being held accountable. Oh, and Greg Walker has to live in Atlanta, so he might even have it worse.

Atlanta is a fun town. :cool:

TomBradley72
07-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Yeah- hitting coach for a 1st place team (#3 in NL in runs scored & OPS) and one of the better run franchises in MLB- it was obviously Walkers fault.

DSpivack
07-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah- hitting coach for a 1st place team (#3 in NL in runs scored & OPS) and one of the better run franchises in MLB- it was obviously Walkers fault.

Oddly enough, the Braves offense would look to familiar to Sox fans. Low OBP, low average, but high OPS thanks to a bunch of power-hitters knocking out HRs. Only difference is so far they're successful.

SI1020
07-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Oddly enough, the Braves offense would look to familiar to Sox fans. Low OBP, low average, but high OPS thanks to a bunch of power-hitters knocking out HRs. Only difference is so far they're successful. The Atlanta offense is very similar to the better Sox offenses during the Walker years.

Hitmen77
07-15-2013, 03:38 PM
:redneck

doublem23
07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Oddly enough, the Braves offense would look to familiar to Sox fans. Low OBP, low average, but high OPS thanks to a bunch of power-hitters knocking out HRs. Only difference is so far they're successful.

The Atlanta offense is very similar to the better Sox offenses during the Walker years.

Exactly, the Braves have the same offense the Sox did for years except their guys hit HR.

FWIW, the 2012 Sox were 4th in the AL in runs per game. You hit homers, it covers up a lot of problems.

TomBradley72
07-15-2013, 04:09 PM

Hate to get in the way of good Walker bashing- but the Braves are #4 in the NL in OBP- but you're right overall avg is low- 9th.

DSpivack
07-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Hate to get in the way of good Walker bashing- but the Braves are #4 in the NL in OBP- but you're right overall avg is low- 9th.

Whoops, my mistake. And they have the highest BB% in the NL.

Hitmen77
07-15-2013, 10:12 PM

The guy who broke the law and got busted for isn't an example of how the current Sox ownership holds people in management accountable for poor results.

soxfanreggie
07-17-2013, 05:38 AM
Your statement "It's always someone else's fault," is the tag line to this organization. Instead of fixing problems, they point fingers. Meanwhile problems remain unsolved and they piss off the most loyal fan. Then they wonder if why they have attendance problems. Other businesses that are run this way usually go bankrupt.

Pro sports teams have it good with their media money/TV deals. Imagine if they funded things like minor league teams - ticket sales and marketing sales. They would be forced to improve operations.

robertks61
07-17-2013, 08:40 PM
In Philly this past weekend very nice staff and quick service! The White Sox staff appears to perform like the team.

GlassSox
07-18-2013, 07:13 PM
In Philly this past weekend very nice staff and quick service! The White Sox staff appears to perform like the team.

Went to the Sunday game with 8 relatives and it was a great experience except for the heat. Grandkids loved it.

amsteel
07-18-2013, 07:40 PM
My dad is at the Beverly road cycle race and texted me saying the security guard they have working is wearing a Sox security shirt and is acting like a *******. Obviously it's not 100% that the guy works for the Sox, and you can't hold one guy responsible for the whole organization, but it fits the mold.

Parrothead
07-19-2013, 07:17 AM

been there the service was good but the phily fans were the scum of the earth. i hope i never have to go back there.

kittle42
07-19-2013, 10:31 AM
been there the service was good but the phily fans were the scum of the earth. i hope i never have to go back there.

I had a good experience with them sitting in the bleachers with them and talking NL East baseball a few years back. But yeah, we all know about Philly fans. I got lucky.

GlassSox
07-19-2013, 06:37 PM

Service was great and we had no problems with Philly fans

chisoxfanatic
07-22-2013, 01:15 AM
I am in Denver right now. I'll go in greater detail when I get home from Seattle (I don't feel like typing a long review using my iPhone). But, I went to Coors Field Saturday night. It kicks the crap out of Comiskey. I'm planning on emailing Brooks Boyer the differences.

Harry Potter
07-22-2013, 01:28 AM
I am in Denver right now. I'll go in greater detail when I get home from Seattle (I don't feel like typing a long review using my iPhone). But, I went to Coors Field Saturday night. It kicks the crap out of Comiskey. I'm planning on emailing Brooks Boyer the differences.

Yep - that was my thoughts too after going out there in 2010 for Sox/Rox.

Parrothead
07-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Service was great and we had no problems with Philly fans

wish i had your experience. i had a beer taken from in from of me and went to drink by an approximately 16 year old girl who I did not know in front of a cop, harassing beyond a the good nature fun stuff and a girl (100 lbs) punched by a guy after the game on the way to the train (he ran away). I guess they did not like our Sox jerseys.

kittle42
07-22-2013, 11:34 AM
wish i had your experience. i had a beer taken from in from of me and went to drink by an approximately 16 year old girl who I did not know in front of a cop, harassing beyond a the good nature fun stuff and a girl (100 lbs) punched by a guy after the game on the way to the train (he ran away). I guess they did not like our Sox jerseys.

Gotta say, I think you could find similar things happening at pretty much any park at some time in a season.

Jerko
07-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Heather, Comiskey has changed a lot since you've last been there.

As for the thread, I saw another thing yesterday that can be improved upon. Guy walks up pushing his friend in a wheelchair and asked to sit behind the last row where they usually allow disabled guests to sit. An usher that was nowhere to be found for the first few innings came out of nowhere and told them they had to go to the box office. The guy had to physically pick his friend up out of the wheelchair and sit him at the very end of the last row, which was precarious at best. A few innings later the usher came back with a wristband and one folding chair. Come on, it's not like the guy was faking it and it wasn't exactly a sellout.

Harry Potter
07-22-2013, 02:58 PM
As for the thread, I saw another thing yesterday that can be improved upon. Guy walks up pushing his friend in a wheelchair and asked to sit behind the last row where they usually allow disabled guests to sit. An usher that was nowhere to be found for the first few innings came out of nowhere and told them they had to go to the box office. The guy had to physically pick his friend up out of the wheelchair and sit him at the very end of the last row, which was precarious at best. A few innings later the usher came back with a wristband and one folding chair. Come on, it's not like the guy was faking it and it wasn't exactly a sellout.

Unbelievable. Then you have the case where you have people sitting in that area that you are almost certain ARE faking it.