PDA

View Full Version : How awful was the CSN pregame intro video?

doublem23
04-01-2013, 10:28 PM
This has to be a one-time thing, right? Please god, be a one-time thing...

For those of you who haven't had your stomachs turned...

http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsnets-white-sox-intro-video-is-one-of-the-464898838?autoplay=1

thomas35forever
04-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Where's the option for indifferent? Yeah, it wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst thing ever put out either.

shingo10
04-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I thought it was funny, showed some swag, and was obviously meant to be over the top bad. The vibe it sent out to me was "we are the White Sox and we don't give a damn what anyone thinks about us" I love that attitude. Instead of tip toeing around we should be brash. We've been the best team in the city for a long time now.

The fact that it is getting some national attention makes me think they should keep riding with it. Its our time so let's take it.

Church Turtle
04-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Which is worse, "Terrible" or "Awful"?

FoulTerritory
04-01-2013, 11:45 PM
I agree with Doublem. It was the worst thing I have ever seen.

CoopaLoop
04-01-2013, 11:54 PM
I thought it was great.

The editing of the lip syncing was so well done. I was glad to see how in tune with the current generation they are by taking one of the most popular band's out there today in Saliva. Really some of the best work I have seen.

shes
04-02-2013, 12:12 AM
I hold out hope that it was an April Fool's Day joke.

Otherwise, someone out there thought this was a good idea, and then someone greenlit that idea, and then someone else failed to say, "Whoa, whoa, what the **** is going on here?" as production began.

That's at least three people who need to be fired by my count.

RCWHITESOX
04-02-2013, 01:36 AM

Otherwise, someone out there thought this was a good idea, and then someone greenlit that idea, and then someone else failed to say, "Whoa, whoa, what the **** is going on here?" as production began.

I couldn't agree more. It was horrible!

ZombieRob
04-02-2013, 02:32 AM
This myth everyone relates to hip hop or down wit it theme is dumb. Beckham looks like a total idiot.

ZombieRob
04-02-2013, 02:33 AM

there's still time for them to at least spincast it that it was lol

cub killer
04-02-2013, 03:23 AM
It was fine. Don't hate, participate :D:

LITTLE NELL
04-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Horrible, who comes up with this ****.

DonnieDarko
04-02-2013, 06:19 AM
Horrible, who comes up with this ****.

Young whippersnappers, obviously.

vinny
04-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Did they play it in the stadium? I don't remember seeing it yesterday.

harwar
04-02-2013, 07:42 AM
I was thinking that you weren't supposed to take it too seriously .. the timing was so way off that i don't think it could have been by accident .. i laughed all the way through it and i did enjoyed the music..

Boondock Saint
04-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Never. Again.

Madvora
04-02-2013, 08:10 AM
I watched the game on the DVR so skipped past this, but just watched it now. I can't believe how bad this is. I can't believe I root for these guys. It's so bad I almost don't want to even watch them play baseball anymore.

Harry Potter
04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Somebody e-mail Brooks

Bobby Thigpen
04-02-2013, 08:19 AM
I guess I don't get what's so bad about it.

Is it cheesy and pretty dumb? Yes. But most team sponsored ads are. The Sox have put out worse ads in the past 6 months than this.

But, I'm sure it's terrible. I mean Deadspin says it is, so it must be.

:scratch:

skobabe8
04-02-2013, 08:19 AM
It was so awful that I had to re-watch it 3 times to make sure it was as awful as I thought it was. So I guess, in a weird way, I enjoyed it. Due to it being so awful.

Boondock Saint
04-02-2013, 08:21 AM

Is it cheesy and pretty dumb? Yes. But most team sponsored ads are. The Sox have put out worse ads in the past 6 months than this.

You think people can't figure out how embarrassingly bad that was for themselves?

Bobby Thigpen
04-02-2013, 08:24 AM
You think people can't figure out how embarrassingly bad that was for themselves?
I guess I just don't get what's so "embarrassingly bad" about it. Is it good? No. But a lot of that stuff teams put out are not good.

It's a solid meh. People are acting like the Sox relieved their bowels on the baby Jesus.

TomParrish79
04-02-2013, 08:26 AM
We could go 0-162 and it wouldnt be as bad as that video. Bad part about it, I dont think they were going for an "so over the top bad it's good" I think they actually believed that video was "cool".

Bad Bad Bad Bad Bad

Almost as bad as MLB having Johnny Damon and Mike Piazza dance on stage while Boys of Summer was being played at the All Star Game.

TomBradley72
04-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Complete disaster- as bad as when they had that in game "DJ" type guy in the mid- 90s.

I was at the game yesterday- then watched the recording of the game when I got home- the overall production was a pretty bad- this video, not showing the national anthem- the whole thing seemed like amateur hour (not the game coverage- but the Opening Day stuff).

amsteel
04-02-2013, 08:40 AM
When I saw the Sox video all I could think of was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6mE9Au3CwM

If anyone under the age of 35 had seen it before it went to air it would have been shot down in a heartbeat. Instead, a bunch of out of touch marketing wizards decided that 'this is what kids think is cool, right?'

Jerko
04-02-2013, 08:47 AM
the boys looking dorky/trying to be funny is one thing, but that music went through my head like a nail. I vote "awful". I never want to hear that **** again.

Boondock Saint
04-02-2013, 08:47 AM
I guess I just don't get what's so "embarrassingly bad" about it. Is it good? No. But a lot of that stuff teams put out are not good.

It's a solid meh. People are acting like the Sox relieved their bowels on the baby Jesus.

It's a bunch of grown-ass men lip-synching to a nearly decade old jock rock anthem while making gestures like, "These are my Hip-Hop hands". You might not think it's that bad, that's completely fine, it's a matter of taste. But you're in the minority.

KenBerryGrab
04-02-2013, 08:50 AM
The video they replaced the movie with was so bad, too. Could not hear all the talk (and there's a lot of talk) over the in-park speakers. This better not be the lid-lifter all year. Serious downgrade over the thrilling video of yesteryear.

TomBradley72
04-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Was I hallucinating or is there actually a brief shot of Cooper in this abomination?

skobabe8
04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Was I hallucinating or is there actually a brief shot of Cooper in this abomination?

Extremely brief.

skobabe8
04-02-2013, 09:13 AM
It's a bunch of grown-ass men lip-synching to a nearly decade old jock rock anthem while making gestures like, "These are my Hip-Hop hands". You might not think it's that bad, that's completely fine, it's a matter of taste. But you're in the minority.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18jbj61ivoh0kjpg/k-xlarge.jpg

russ99
04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
The video they replaced the movie with was so bad, too. Could not hear all the talk (and there's a lot of talk) over the in-park speakers. This better not be the lid-lifter all year. Serious downgrade over the thrilling video of yesteryear.

Are they playing this awful video in the stadium? I sure hope not. At least if it's only on cable, we can ignore it.

I love the history intro video, hope they didn't replace it.

Vestigio
04-02-2013, 09:31 AM
It was cringe worthy. I had to turn it off several times, hoping it that it would end in a minute or two, not the entire song. I hate this type of hard, country, bro rock.

SOXfnNlansing
04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Personally, I hated it, but I can see that our team is filled with a bunch of younger guys that are big and brashy, so I guess if this video would make a 15 yr old boy say "wow, this is cool", I'm for it. We need more younger fans to bug their parents to come to the park on Sundays.

Bobby Thigpen
04-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Never said I like it, or that it isn't bad. I just think that saying things like it's worse than watching someone die is a bit of an over reaction.

Thome_Fan
04-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Personally, I hated it, but I can see that our team is filled with a bunch of younger guys that are big and brashy, so I guess if this video would make a 15 yr old boy say "wow, this is cool", I'm for it. We need more younger fans to bug their parents to come to the park on Sundays.

The problem is it's not only the concept that is bad, it's the execution. The lighting is terrible, the framing is terrible, the editing is terrible, and it looks like it was shot on a cell phone. It's bad from every single angle.

MarySwiss
04-02-2013, 10:09 AM
I thought the line "explosion of catastrophe" about summed it up. :?:

dwalteroo
04-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Do you think there's any chance that's an April Fool's prank? I mean, it would be pretty hilarious if so.

TomParrish79
04-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Now that would have been a CSN opening that would have had people talking

TomParrish79
04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Do you think there's any chance that's an April Fool's prank. I mean, it would be pretty hilarious if so.

Just people hoping/thinking it was an April Fool's Joke shows how bad it was.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-02-2013, 10:44 AM
I just thought it was in the "so stupid it's funny" camp. I don't mind it on TV but please someone tell me they didn't replace the White Sox history video before the game.:(:

Carolina Kenny
04-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Just people hoping/thinking it was an April Fool's Joke shows how bad it was.

This was not even "fun" bad. Terrible production values and execution.
If they have replaced the wonderful days of yore video in favor of this crap I will boycott the ballpark.

On the other hand I thought the pie in the face video was fantasitc on many levels, including sarcasm at how the whole pie in the face thing had gotten way out of hand.

sox1970
04-02-2013, 10:49 AM
If they were going for cheesy and hokey, they succeeded.

If they were going for something good and that would pump up the crowd, not happening.

doublem23
04-02-2013, 10:51 AM
I was thinking that you weren't supposed to take it too seriously .. the timing was so way off that i don't think it could have been by accident .. i laughed all the way through it and i did enjoyed the music..

I don't doubt that they were probably trying to be a little silly and cheesy but this was just... awful. Awful.

DSpivack
04-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Extremely brief.

Even Coop couldn't have fixed this.

doublem23
04-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Except for angsty 17-year-olds who Saliva markets their crap fake metal noise to, I would assume anyone could plainly tell this was simply god awful. Only had to link to Deadspin because they have the video on their site, the Sox and CSN don't seem to want to share. :cool:

soltrain21
04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
That is one of the worst things I have ever seen.

Thome_Fan
04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
This was not even "fun" bad. Terrible production values and execution.
If they have replaced the wonderful days of yore video in favor of this crap I will boycott the ballpark.

On the other hand I thought the pie in the face video was fantasitc on many levels, including sarcasm at how the whole pie in the face thing had gotten way out of hand.

The pie advertising campaign is at least as bad as this promo, if not worse. Same horrible concept and acting, same terrible production value, and someone gave the go ahead to make multiple iterations. Puke.

ChiSoxGal85
04-02-2013, 12:34 PM
The pie advertising campaign is at least as bad as this promo, if not worse. Same horrible concept and acting, same terrible production value, and someone gave the go ahead to make multiple iterations. Puke.
This is why the Sox (or anyone, for that matter) cannot, ever, make everyone happy. I think the pie campaign is funny; I just LOLed at the extended version.

I wouldn't want to work in marketing - it's gotta be difficult to NOT piss someone off. :smile:

Thome_Fan
04-02-2013, 02:45 PM
This is why the Sox (or anyone, for that matter) cannot, ever, make everyone happy. I think the pie campaign is funny; I just LOLed at the extended version.

I wouldn't want to work in marketing - it's gotta be difficult to NOT piss someone off. :smile:

My point isn't even that. If you think the pie idea is funny, you have every right to. People are going to find different things funny.

That said, you should at least be able to hire a professional camera crew to record it. It looks amateur and it makes the White Sox look amateur. Compare these, for example, to the Blackhawks ads. The difference in production alone is night and day, regardless of the content.

TomBradley72
04-02-2013, 02:59 PM

+ Infinity

TheVulture
04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Sweet Jesus someone needs to separate video cameras and the Sox clubhouse. This is reminiscent of a middle school video project

TheVulture
04-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I thought it was great.

The editing of the lip syncing was so well done. I was glad to see how in tune with the current generation they are by taking one of the most popular band's out there today in Saliva. Really some of the best work I have seen.

:roflmao:

fisk4ever
04-02-2013, 04:09 PM
I thought it was an April Fool's replacement of Thunderstruck, but then decided no one would go to that much trouble for a prank.

Foulke You
04-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Are they playing this awful video in the stadium? I sure hope not. At least if it's only on cable, we can ignore it.

I love the history intro video, hope they didn't replace it.
I was at the game yesterday and the Saliva video was indeed played in the ballpark not once, but twice. Once at about 2:30PM and then again right before the opening lineups at about 2:55PM. After the now "infamous" Saliva video, the Sox played a one minute video with ominous voiceover talking about sacrifice, making an impact, etc. while showing highlights from current Sox players. As a previous poster pointed out, this video was very hard to hear what the narrator was saying because of the echo on the ballpark speakers. The familiar and much loved "Pirates of the Carribean" Sox history montage was NOT played at all. The voiceover video was the new segueway right into AC/DC Thunderstruck. I was more disappointed at the deletion of the Sox history video than the use of the cheesy Saliva lip sync video. I'm hoping it was just an Opening Day thing and they return to the old Sox history video for future home games.

tstrike2000
04-02-2013, 05:10 PM
I found it so bad it was funny, especially the facial expressions of Beckham and Danks.

I think Coop's appearance was so brief because as soon as he found out what exactly he was apart of, he left.

blandman
04-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Count me in the "so bad it's funny" group.

Still. Cringe. My God, I don't want to ever watch that again.

DirtySox
04-02-2013, 08:22 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rzDYyvdxRDA/UVr-daa5gGI/AAAAAAAAC3g/LOnUsuaFgfc/s1600/DONCOOPERGONNAKILLYOU.gif

nsolo
04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Somebody e-mail Brooks

I did. The response received seemed to indicate that I hit a nerve. The response was less than positive. It seems Mr. Boyer does not take negative feedback well.

Dibbs
04-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Brooks is past his prime. I guess it happens to the marketing guys, and not only athletes. Brooks has been terrible for 5+ years now.

gosox41
04-02-2013, 09:58 PM

I agree. Who cares. It's kind of funny. I've seen plenty of stupid Sox ads.

Does this give another reason for fans not to go to games?

Bob

gosox41
04-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Brooks is past his prime. I guess it happens to the marketing guys, and not only athletes. Brooks has been terrible for 5+ years now.

Brooks has been terrible or the team as been terrible (or more disappointing then truly terrible.)

If this teams wins or goes to the playoffs, attendance is a less touch subject.

If I were Brooks, I would eat up all the PR this video is getting. Who would think a video to a popular song would generate so much negative feedback . You'd think the Sox did something wrong.

But for those that hate it, keep gabbing. It's giving the Sox a lot of PR.

Bob

soltrain21
04-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Brooks has been terrible or the team as been terrible (or more disappointing then truly terrible.)

If I were Brooks, I would eat up all the PR this video is getting. Who would think a video to a popular song would generate so much negative feedback . You'd think the Sox did something wrong.

Bob

The school of "all PR is good PR" isn't a real thing.

Dsell93
04-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Can't believe the intro vid's gone. I think I can speak for numerous Sox fans when I say that was a significant and memorable part of the ballpark experience. What is marketing/PR thinking? If you look at some of the youtube comments, that pregame had CUBS FANS getting the chills. No wonder they scrapped "Passion, Pride, Tradition", its obvious they're quite out of touch :scratch:

SoxFan89
04-03-2013, 01:22 AM
The school of "all PR is good PR" isn't a real thing.

The only person who still subscribes to that theory is Vince McMahon.

PeteWard
04-03-2013, 09:02 AM
I thought it was funny, showed some swag, and was obviously meant to be over the top bad. The vibe it sent out to me was "we are the White Sox and we don't give a damn what anyone thinks about us" I love that attitude. Instead of tip toeing around we should be brash. We've been the best team in the city for a long time now.

The fact that it is getting some national attention makes me think they should keep riding with it. Its our time so let's take it.

No. It was one of the worst videos ever made and all copies should be deleted for eternity.

Swag? Seriously?

PeteWard
04-03-2013, 09:04 AM
I agree. Who cares. It's kind of funny. I've seen plenty of stupid Sox ads.

Does this give another reason for fans not to go to games?

Bob

That is not the question anyone has asked until you. It is an all out assault on anyone with ears and good taste and I don't EVER want to hear it again.

BainesHOF
04-03-2013, 09:36 AM
A terrible video executed terribly. The stunning thing is a number of people had to sign off on this piece of garbage. Every person who gave this the green light has no feel for music, video production, White Sox baseball and the team's fans. Shockingly bad on every level.

What makes this video twice as (fill in your most extreme adjective here) is that it replaced a perfect video.

Bring back the old video...now!

SI1020
04-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Where's the option for indifferent? Yeah, it wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst thing ever put out either. Pretty damn close to it I'd say. Awful doesn't even begin to describe it.

soltrain21
04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
For the record, Comcast had nothing to do with this. This was strictly done by the Sox in house production crew and no one else.

Carolina Kenny
04-03-2013, 11:05 AM
A terrible video executed terribly. The stunning thing is a number of people had to sign off on this piece of garbage. Every person who gave this the green light has no feel for music, video production, White Sox baseball and the team's fans. Shockingly bad on every level.

What makes this video twice as (fill in your most extreme adjective here) is that it replaced a perfect video.

Bring back the old video...now!

The "History" video is easy to update every year with highlights from the previous year so that younger and more recent fans can relate to. To older fans like myself, a video with Louie, Nelllie, Allen, Fisk etc. sets the perfect tone for the upcoming game. It makes me think Boyer has gotten off the rails and is lacking for any feel of the fans. If Boyer signed off on scrapping the "History" video for that piece of crap, he should be canned. For once the Chairman should put his famous empoyee loyalty aside and make a change for the Sake Of The Sox.

The Immigrant
04-03-2013, 11:05 AM
For the record, Comcast had nothing to do with this. This was strictly done by the Sox in house production crew and no one else.

Do you think the production budget was more than $500?

Hitmen77
04-03-2013, 11:07 AM
This has to be a one-time thing, right? Please god, be a one-time thing...

For those of you who haven't had your stomachs turned...

http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsnets-white-sox-intro-video-is-one-of-the-464898838?autoplay=1

Is there a way to make ":puking::puking::puking:" as one of the poll options?

soltrain21
04-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Do you think the production budget was more than $500?

I'm guessing there wasn't a budget at all.

johnny bench
04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales) the pre-game video is back

mantis1212
04-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales (https://twitter.com/MDGonzales)the pre-game video is back

He must be talking about in the park. I'm not near a TV - is the horrible Saliva video making another appearance?

vinny
04-03-2013, 02:15 PM
I didn't see the goofy lip-synch video on WGN today, so hopefully it was a one-time deal.

Harry Chappas
04-03-2013, 04:26 PM

Bob

On what planet is this a "popular song"? It's not even recent. The Sox probably didn't want to pony up the licensing fee for a more current, hip, band like Limp Bizkit (teal implied).

Brooks Boyer has to rank among the worst marketing guys in the business. He's the anti-John McDonough. The fans are ultimately to blame for Sox attendance woes but their marketing department sure isn't helping. A chimpanzee could have generated some sustained excitement and ticket sales from a World Series Championship but not Boyer. He continues to play the sports marketing equivalent of 'small ball.'

For the poster that got a response from Boyer, can you paraphrase?

SephClone89
04-03-2013, 04:42 PM
The Saliva song played in the park about a half-hour before first pitch. The song played another half-dozen times.

Harry Chappas
04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
In reading through some of the threads related to the video, I had hoped someone from the Sox would have revealed that the video was done tongue-in-cheek or it was part of an April Fool's Day prank. The fact that this was an earnest attempt at being "cool" should be enough to get a few people fired.

Harry Potter
04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
I didn't see the goofy lip-synch video on WGN today, so hopefully it was a one-time deal.

It probably is for CSN games only - hence why we didnt see it today on WGN.

Bobby Thigpen
04-03-2013, 05:45 PM
This entire thread reminds me of that episode of South Park with the Prius owners sniffing their own farts.

Harry Potter
04-03-2013, 05:53 PM
This entire thread reminds me of that episode of South Park with the Prius owners sniffing their own farts.

Touche

http://gas2.org/files/2010/03/smug.jpg

CoopaLoop
04-03-2013, 06:47 PM
I think the more interesting debate is why a healthy majority feels that awful is worse than terrible.

October26
04-04-2013, 07:05 AM

I agree with you on the pie campaign/commercial, I also think it is funny. I haven't seen the extended version yet but will definitely make it a point to go and watch it.

My only concern (being the Mom that I am) is related to one of the Sox players getting accidentally injured from getting hit with too much whipped cream in the eye, particularly Adam or Paulie whose vision is key to their ability to see the ball and hit it. Other than that, it appeared to me that the Sox players were having fun, especially Reed, Sale, and Flowers.

And to your point about not wanting to work in marketing: I agree. I get that the Sox are trying to reach out to a younger age group of fans and perhaps that is the goal of these new videos. However, as a huge fan of the "Pirates Carib Intro Montage", I am very disappointed to learn that it has been discarded and is no longer part of the White Sox Baseball/Park Experience. I loved that Sox Opening Montage.

SOXSINCE'70
04-04-2013, 09:28 AM
This made me nearly barf up my 2 italian sausages AND my hot dog.:puking::puking:

Memo to Kenny,Brooks and Scott; you CANNOT be all things to all people!!:angry::angry: This would work much better in a setting OTHER than a Sox game.Some Sox fans (myself,for example) don't want you to waste our time with this ****. I know you have to try to keep everyone's attention span on baseball,but this ain't workin' for me,guys.Count me as one fan who hopes he never sees this **** at future Sox games.

SOXSINCE'70
04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Touche

http://gas2.org/files/2010/03/smug.jpg

:hawk

"I looooove 'South Park' references."

GlassSox
04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
This made me nearly barf up my 2 italian sausages AND my hot dog.:puking::puking:

Memo to Kenny,Brooks and Scott; you CANNOT be all things to all people!!:angry::angry: This would work much better in a setting OTHER than a Sox game.Some Sox fans (myself,for example) don't want you to waste our time with this ****. I know you have to try to keep everyone's attention span on baseball,but this ain't workin' for me,guys.Count me as one fan who hopes he never sees this **** at future Sox games.

Tell Brooks at bboyer@chisox.com

Tree Hate Me
04-04-2013, 11:38 AM
I had an awful bout with the flu earlier this week and was unable to attend the home opener. Watching this video on Monday made me feel even worse.

From all the surveys that we keep getting from the team it is obvious they are always looking at ways to improve the "fan experience" at the ballpark. I'm pretty sure nobody mentioned the opening video montage with the Pirates of the Carribbean music as being something that they felt needed to be tweaked or even scrapped. As someone else said even casual observers can get into that video. Hearing that music and seeing the clips...you know it's gametime.

Hell, my cousin's husband is a Twins fan and he even loved that old intro when they were in town for a game.

If they want to use this Saliva lip sync thing during the pregame before rolling out the old into, that's fine. I will plug my ears and go grab a Walking Taco or something.