PDA

View Full Version : New stadium intro

shingo10
04-01-2013, 08:51 PM
http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsnets-white-sox-intro-video-is-one-of-the-464898838

I think its awesome. Show it before every game.

DSpivack
04-01-2013, 08:53 PM
I thought it was awful. I was hoping to see more in-park coverage.

Milw
04-01-2013, 08:54 PM
They ditched the Pirates of the Caribbean-scored highlight montage in favor of some spoken narrated thing that I couldn't even understand because the audio was too soft. Major disappointment, as that video montage is one of the things I most look forward to when I attend games. I hope the new thing is an Opening Day aberration, but I worry it's not...

sox1970
04-01-2013, 08:58 PM
I thought it was awful. I was hoping to see more in-park coverage.

Yeah, they didn't get the anthem or the Bo Jackson first pitch live. Fail.

They actually had the anthem playing under the pre-taped Hawk/Stony open.

Kind of a weird TV production--lots of in-game interviews in the stands while the action was going on. I kinda figured they were doing more of that this year in an effort to sell the "fan experience", but I hope they can tighten it up a little.

Also, Dan Hayes...wow that was awkward.

thomas35forever
04-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Funny because I was recently talking about how the Sox have had that intro since 2005, so I thought a change was overdue. I agree with your disappointment though. If they were going to change it, couldn't they have put another dramatic music piece in there instead? It also seemed a little too slow in pacing. I'm sorry, but Home Run of the Century was more successful at getting me excited for the coming game and they haven't used that since 2004.

Brian26
04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Funny because I was recently talking about how the Sox have had that intro since 2005, so I thought a change was overdue.

I think they even rolled it out earlier than that....I think late in the 2004 season.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Milw:

E-mail Brooks.

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
04-01-2013, 09:40 PM
I didn't like the new montage at all. Why fix something that obviously wasn't broken? I can't imagine people griped about it on the fan survey that went out last fall....

Lip Man 1
04-01-2013, 09:42 PM
I thought whatever that was, was absolute garbage myself.

Regarding Dan Hayes....awkward is putting it mildly.

Lip

Milw
04-01-2013, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't have minded an update with new music (not that it needed it) but the replacement thing was just boring. The exact opposite of what an intro video s supposed to accomplish.

cbone
04-01-2013, 10:11 PM
It was horrible.

doublem23
04-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Are we talking about that lip synced thing set to that awful Saliva song that ran on CSN before the game? That has to be an April Fool's Joke, right? Because I have seen people die before and that video still is probably the worst thing I will ever see in my entire life.

Milw
04-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Are we talking about that lip synced thing set to that awful Saliva song that ran on CSN before the game? That has to be an April Fool's Joke, right? Because I have seen people die before and that video still is probably the worst thing I will ever see in my entire life.

No, we're talking about the boring voiceover video they played on the scoreboard in place of the Pirates montage. The CSN video, while awful in its own right, is unrelated.

WhiteSox5187
04-01-2013, 10:23 PM

No, evidently they changed the montage at the stadium before the game. My brother was at the game and texted me about it. He was quite upset.

kevingrt
04-01-2013, 10:25 PM
What no more Pirates!?!?

No way. I'm angry.

Well, legit kind of upset.

ChiSoxGal85
04-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Seriously?! I was underwhelmed by that intro; sure hope it was just a one-time thing.

I really, really liked the Pirates montage, with the Sox history and the epic music; I don't think it even needed that much updating. I sure hope the Sox didn't ditch it.

DumpJerry
04-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Seriously?! I was underwhelmed by that intro; sure hope it was just a one-time thing.

I really, really liked the Pirates montage, with the Sox history and the epic music; I don't think it even needed that much updating. I sure hope the Sox didn't ditch it.
I was thinking it was an Opening Day thing to honor the '83 team. I could not hear it where I was in the stadium at the time it played, but got the impression it was some sort of tribute to 1983.

The Immigrant
04-01-2013, 10:47 PM
It's time to ditch Thunderstruck. Yeah, I said it.

MISoxfan
04-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I agree, Thunderstruck drags on for so long. I would much rather have he's a pirate and ditch thunderstruck.

Milw
04-01-2013, 10:53 PM
I'd rather ditch Thunderstruck than Pirates, given the choice. But I don't think either needs to be ditched, because if it ain't broke...

thomas35forever
04-01-2013, 11:24 PM
I was thinking it was an Opening Day thing to honor the '83 team. I could not hear it where I was in the stadium at the time it played, but got the impression it was some sort of tribute to 1983.
There were two montages. The first was spliced with footage of the '83 team and the current team. BTW, if anyone knows the song that played with that, let me know. The second was the one we're discussing. It had footage from all eras and is the alleged replacement for the Pirates montage. Again, I really hope they can do better than what we saw there.

Noneck
04-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Looks like wwf stuff.

FoulTerritory
04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Brooks Boyer is at it again. While I'm sure he didn't produce the video, he must have approved it.

I mean what the **** was that???

amsteel
04-02-2013, 01:10 AM
I'm fine with the new stadium intro, but the Sox should be relegated for that lip sync video.

tsoxman
04-02-2013, 04:51 AM
Milw:

E-mail Brooks.

Lip
What is his email address?

C-Dawg
04-02-2013, 06:48 AM

I hope they don't over-do the '83 anniversary thing. They already celebrated it once in 2003 but that pre-dates Brook's time here. Maybe he doesn't know?

I wonder if they still have any of those 1983 20th Anniversary VHS tapes left?

Harry Potter
04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
I thought whatever that was, was absolute garbage myself.

Regarding Dan Hayes....awkward is putting it mildly.

Lip

What happened regarding Dan Hayes? Was at the game yesterday and missed it.

What is his email address?

bboyer@chisox.com (bboyer@chisox.com)

Milw
04-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Why was this thread merged with the thread about the CSN video? They're different topics altogether.

In any event, I indeed emailed Brooks to express my displeasure. Bboyer@chisox.com

Jerko
04-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Unrelated, but still in the introductory stage, I did not hear ONE firework from my house yesterday. Pre game, nothing, home run, nothing. They tried that a few years ago and got flamed and had the loud ones back at homestand #2 IIRC.

bestkosher
04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
While the lip syncing was terrible, it does have some promise to the younger viewers. Beckham did a fairly good job, and Coop fade away was good. I would like them to see if they can step this up with a sort of "THE Band" type theme and have them playing or at least do a somewhat good job of pretending to play hard rock. They can then end the video with the message, "Rock this House", which would work as a means to get the fans a bit involved. I could also see the Sox doing a fan video competition of the same song.

TomBradley72
04-02-2013, 09:12 AM
While the lip syncing was terrible, it does have some promise to the younger viewers. Beckham did a fairly good job, and Coop fade away was good. I would like them to see if they can step this up with a sort of "THE Band" type theme and have them playing or at least do a somewhat good job of pretending to play hard rock. They can then end the video with the message, "Rock this House", which would work as a means to get the fans a bit involved. I could also see the Sox doing a fan video competition of the same song.

Booooooooooooooooooo!

Milw
04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
My response from Brooks (kudos to him for promptness):

I would be curious to know your thoughts about the open if you could have heard the audio. From our research, people are ready for a change. People like (some love) the old open but there are significantly more that were ready for something new. Please give it a chance (when you can hear the audio) and let me know what you think in May.

I had mentioned that we couldn't hear the stadium audio very well from where we were sitting. In any case, it sounds like that new intro is here to stay, which is a real disappointment.

SephClone89
04-02-2013, 09:33 AM

:chunks

kaufsox
04-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Why was this thread merged with the thread about the CSN video? They're different topics altogether.

In any event, I indeed emailed Brooks to express my displeasure. Bboyer@chisox.com

me too! I didn't even know what was going on and we kept waiting for the "Pirates" video to start. Such a bad idea to change the intro.

DeadMoney
04-02-2013, 10:25 AM

I had mentioned that we couldn't hear the stadium audio very well from where we were sitting. In any case, it sounds like that new intro is here to stay, which is a real disappointment.

I saw it, but I have to say that I wasn't really paying attention to it. When the new video ended and they went into Thunderstruck, I was a little too surprised the old video wasn't firing up to realize what I had just seen. I'll be there Wednesday and pay closer attention to it; I am willing to give it a chance.

Noneck
04-02-2013, 10:27 AM
I was never in favor of booing players at the game but I sure wouldnt mind booing this at the game. Boyer seems to be a very stubborn individual and wont admit mistakes. Maybe hearing the crowd boo every time this is played will give the chairman some thoughts of making a change.

skobabe8
04-02-2013, 10:29 AM
I was never in favor of booing players at the game but I sure wouldnt mind booing this at the game. Boyer seems to be a very stubborn individual and wont admit mistakes. Maybe hearing the crowd boo every time this is played will give the chairman some thoughts of making a change.

That won't happen based on Brooks' market survey.

TomBradley72
04-02-2013, 10:32 AM

"From our research"?

I've never heard a single fan remotely comment that the montage was getting old- I thought it was cool the way they added new historic moments as they happened (i.e. Game 163, Thome 500th homer, etc.).

Of all the things to spend their time on- this shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list-

Rocky Soprano
04-02-2013, 10:34 AM

Did you even hear the audio?
I couldnt hear it all so will reserve my judgement until I can.

Noneck
04-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Did you even hear the audio?

Not really but then let Boyer put it on the official Sox site so all the fans can hear and listen to it.

ChiSoxGal85
04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm trying to figure out if I saw the same intro on TV that they played on the scoreboard.

On TV there was a pretty short piece that begins with some black and white shots of the field, and the voice over with "It's full of rebirth...a fresh start...a clean slate...a new season of White Sox baseball is upon us...and for Ventura and crew, it's time to make an impact" and then a bunch of (color) video action clips from games, and more voice over about Opening Day. (I could actually transcribe the rest if anyone is interested, as the game is still on my DVR.)

Does that sound like what was on the scoreboard?

Milw
04-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm trying to figure out if I saw the same intro on TV that they played on the scoreboard.

On TV there was a pretty short piece that begins with some black and white shots of the field, and the voice over with "It's full of rebirth...a fresh start...a clean slate...a new season of White Sox baseball is upon us...and for Ventura and crew, it's time to make an impact" and then a bunch of (color) video action clips from games, and more voice over about Opening Day. (I could actually transcribe the rest if anyone is interested, as the game is still on my DVR.)

I couldn't tell you. I literally couldn't hear any of the words. The visuals might be right, but honestly, it was so boring I kind of stopped paying attention.

Lip Man 1
04-02-2013, 11:42 AM
This is my impression based on my dealings with some of the folks who have major input into what the Sox do in these regards.

I'm not saying it's wrong or they are wrong but there does seem to be some individuals who simply don't have as big an appreciation for the history of the franshice, the alumni, the magic moments that the franchise has experienced and I think that is reflected in some of the decisions made.

There are also some who do have a deep appreciation not only for the history of the Sox franchise but for the game itself, the pace, the style of it.

It might be said that there is a cultural or a generational 'war' (for want of a better word) on things along these lines...hip-hop vs. organ music, the 'pirates' montage vs. the 'song' that aired on CSN. Things like that.

I suspect some feel change is automatic, necessary and good...others who feel the game itself evokes tradition and doesn't need major changes. It's also an attempt I suspect to get a younger generation of fans involved along their terms and in ways they are comfortable with.

Given that baseball historically is a traditionalist sport it's hard to find a solution that will satisfy everyone.

Lip

Wedema
04-02-2013, 11:43 AM

That sounds like what was on the scoreboard but I just assumed it was for Opening Day and the regular 'Pirates' video would be next. But, when I started seeing clips from the 'Pirates' video in the new video, I realized that there would be no 'Pirates' video. This new video will also have to be changed next year as "make an impact" was mentioned at least twice (at the beginning and at the end) as that is this year's marketing slogan.

roylestillman
04-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I don't mind that the montage was retired, but the new narrative one doesn't work. Hearing that over baked speech every game is going to get a little tiresome. Music over clips is all you need. I hate to keep bringing them up, but the Hawks new "I stand for.." Scoreboard video over fun's Some Nights works and they seem to change it up every so often.

Milw
04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't mind that the montage was retired, but the new narrative one doesn't work. Hearing that over baked speech every game is going to get a little tiresome. Music over clips is all you need. I hate to keep bringing them up, but the Hawks new "I stand for.." Scoreboard video over fun's Some Nights works and they seem to change it up every so often.
This. While I loved the Pirates-scored montage, I can accept change. But it has to have music. Unless they're going to record a new soliloquy every homestand--which is both unrealistic and would get cheesy in its own right after awhile--a speech, no matter how good it is, will get old real quick.

GlassSox
04-02-2013, 04:34 PM
I do not like the new intro so I did email Brooks to give my opinion, here is his reply:

Ed,

Thanks for the note.

I have received a few emails on this today. For some, they think that we have replaced a traditional video with a lip synced rock video, which is not the case. Others miss “Pirates”. As part of our research, it was clear that a lot of our fans wanted a fresh look at the open. We tried to continue with the tradition of showing memorable White Sox historical footage over building music and a powerful, inspirational message……building to Thunderstruck. I am hopeful that people will give it a chance.

Again, thank you for the note. I always welcome the feedback.

Brooks

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Has anyone responded to any surveys either online or at the park specific to the opening intro? I would like to know where the results from their "research" are obtained. Also, who are these "fans" asking for this change? I give this upgrade an F-.

TomBradley72
04-02-2013, 05:07 PM
I appreciate the role surveys can play in understanding your customer base and target market. But you also need to have a "feel" for that customer base- sometimes the Sox seem to have no real "feel" for their fan base- goes back decades.

HomeFish
04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
I just want the opening montage to feature bad-ass music. There are many bad-ass songs out there: the Pirates theme and Thunderstruck are just two of many good options.

Lip Man 1
04-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Also it would be good to know how this particular question was asked in the survey. (Was it written or said in such a way to try to generate a response that would lean towards doing a particular thing?)

Plus how many fans are we talking about here? Hundreds? Thousands?? Or are the responses from a limited number of fans being extrapolated to form an overall opinion?

Lip

lpneck
04-02-2013, 07:03 PM

+1

I don't mind that they want to change the "Pirates" opening, and I agree they should probably consider changing "Thunderstruck." I can listen to the argument that they have customers who may think, "wow, I haven't been here in 6 years and they haven't even updated the pregame video."

The "Pirates" video was really, really, well done. It's OK to do something different, but if you are going to change it, it needs to be better.

The problem isn't that it was changed, the problem is the new product isn't good.

And also- "Once you hear it, we think you'll like it?" Really? The video was planned for nights where the crowd is 18,000 and silent? You might want to put together something that fires everyone up ESPECIALLY when the park is full.

esbrechtel
04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
I loved that video. Seeing all of the great plays in white sox history was great. The Fisk double play, Thome's 500th, Frank Thomas with robin on his shoulders, etc. I sure will miss that...

esbrechtel
04-02-2013, 07:19 PM
I guess I don't understand why a team wouldn't want to embrace 100+ years of history. As a charter member of the American League why wouldn't you want your young fans to ask questions about the greats in Sox history?

ChicagoG19
04-02-2013, 07:27 PM
The Pirates montage better be back for the second game.

Noneck
04-02-2013, 07:36 PM
I guess I don't understand why a team wouldn't want to embrace 100+ years of history. As a charter member of the American League why wouldn't you want your young fans to ask questions about the greats in Sox history?

I always thought baseball was about history and records/statistics. Since the records/statistics have been bastardized, the sport is thriving in a very week economic time, so maybe history isnt as important as I thought it was. This is a ever changing world we all live in.

ChiSoxGal85
04-02-2013, 07:56 PM
I filled out multiple surveys online over the course of last season, and do not recall ever being asked about the opening video.

GlassSox
04-02-2013, 07:58 PM
I filled out multiple surveys online over the course of last season, and do not recall ever being asked about the opening video.

Same for me

Brian26
04-02-2013, 08:49 PM
I do not like the new intro so I did email Brooks to give my opinion, here is his reply:

Ed,

Thanks for the note.

I have received a few emails on this today. For some, they think that we have replaced a traditional video with a lip synced rock video, which is not the case. Others miss “Pirates”. As part of our research, it was clear that a lot of our fans wanted a fresh look at the open. We tried to continue with the tradition of showing memorable White Sox historical footage over building music and a powerful, inspirational message……building to Thunderstruck. I am hopeful that people will give it a chance.

Again, thank you for the note. I always welcome the feedback.

Brooks

Has anyone responded to any surveys either online or at the park specific to the opening intro?

I appreciate the role surveys can play in understanding your customer base and target market. But you also need to have a "feel" for that customer base- sometimes the Sox seem to have no real "feel" for their fan base- goes back decades.

Also it would be good to know how this particular question was asked in the survey. (Was it written or said in such a way to try to generate a response that would lean towards doing a particular thing?)

Plus how many fans are we talking about here? Hundreds? Thousands?? Or are the responses from a limited number of fans being extrapolated to form an overall opinion?

Lip

There were surveys conducted last year and early this year about ticket prices and the fan experience. None of those surveys had any questions regarding the scoreboard montage. Furthermore, if there were secret surveys conducted over the winter (which nobody here or anywhere else has mentioned), I can't believe that the opening montage was of critical importance to anyone.

I know it's strong words to call someone a liar, but Sox fans (here, at least) are a fairly sharp group. "As part of our research, it was clear that a lot of our fans wanted a fresh look at the open. " I mean, I can't believe that's what he's saying. It's hard to take that kind of statement seriously. I've never heard anybody ANYBODY have anything negative to say about the opening montage.

This drips of Brooks assigning a pet project to one of the new kids just of out school to work on over the winter, similar to his giving a new fashion designer a job a couple of years ago to re-design the uniforms. She had a new road uniform set designed, but Reinsdorf said nixed. As a compromise, he allowed the sleeve patch to change. The road uniforms didn't need changing at all.

In the grand scheme of things, neither change is that important; yet, at the same time, neither thing was important enough to change in the first place. Of all the things the staff could be working on, changing the uniforms or the opening montage should be last on their list.

haganaga
04-02-2013, 08:57 PM
I was there too. My thoughts...

HZHwxIL9oYo

Brian26
04-02-2013, 09:01 PM
By the way, please nobody email Brooks and tell him they "couldn't hear the words because it wasn't loud enough". The speakers are already 20 decibels too loud as it is.

Milw
04-02-2013, 09:23 PM
By the way, please nobody email Brooks and tell him they "couldn't hear the words because it wasn't loud enough". The speakers are already 20 decibels too loud as it is.
Gotta disagree with you there. Where I was sitting yesterday (516) we could barely hear anything at all.

C-Dawg
04-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Exactly. I get goosebumps every time I see it and sit riveted in the stands when its playing. I liked the pre-2005 version but the 2005-2012 video was magical.

I also enjoyed studying it to see what kind of tweaks they made to it from year to year.

Here it is in 2005: What's not to love here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw6dno6xr8k

ChiSoxFann
04-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Since everyone else is piling on I agree, opening day was disappointing when the Pirates video was absent and I had hoped it was just a one game thing.

The Bulls and Blackhawks intro videos have been pretty much the same for years with minor tweaks each season. Why fix what isn't broken? If the Sox were going to spend money to upgrade the game day atmosphere of the park for the fans, a new intro video was not the way to go.

Hitmen77
04-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Is there a link to the new stadium intro?

I'd have to see/hear it for myself before I comment on it, but I have to say that I love the "He's a Pirate" music and I'm sorry to see it go.

JB98
04-03-2013, 12:23 PM
I would also cast a vote in favor of keeping the "Pirates" video. Showing that video before the start of every game was a great way for the White Sox organization to say, "This is who we are," to everyone in attendance.

ChiSoxFann
04-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Mark Gonzalez just said the pre-game video is back. :bandance:

soxinem1
04-03-2013, 04:08 PM
I didn't like the new montage at all. Why fix something that obviously wasn't broken? I can't imagine people griped about it on the fan survey that went out last fall....

If they used a slightly different, pump-up-stadium-rock kind of musical score that might be one thing, but to phase it out?

Please! This has been pumping up the fans for years, bring it back!! :bandance::bandance:

Harry Potter
04-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Mark Gonzalez just said the pre-game video is back. :bandance:

I think Gonzo meant that the awful video (which replaced "Pirates" on Monday) was back again today. Perhaps someone who was there today can verify.

ChiSoxFann
04-03-2013, 05:20 PM
I think Gonzo meant that the awful video (which replaced "Pirates" on Monday) was back again today. Perhaps someone who was there today can verify.

Well **** if that's the case. I'll be back at the park on Saturday and hopefully it's gone by then if it's not already.

soxcap
04-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Exactly. I get goosebumps every time I see it and sit riveted in the stands when its playing. I liked the pre-2005 version but the 2005-2012 video was magical.

I also enjoyed studying it to see what kind of tweaks they made to it from year to year.

Here it is in 2005: What's not to love here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw6dno6xr8k

Agree 100%. I don't know a lot of Sox history pre 90s, so it was always fun to see clips from a wide range of years. Harry's Game(?) and Pirates were perfect for that. Then the music ends with a whoosh on a closeup of the trophy---after that I don't care that Thunderstruck is mostly just yelling, I'm ready to cheer!

Milw
04-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Agree 100%. I don't know a lot of Sox history pre 90s, so it was always fun to see clips from a wide range of years. Harry's Game(?) and Pirates were perfect for that. Then the music ends with a whoosh on a closeup of the trophy---after that I don't care that Thunderstruck is mostly just yelling, I'm ready to cheer!
Harry's Game! Ha! It's Harrow's Way.

But yeah, my sentiments exactly. Has anyone else complained to Brooks? I'd frankly be surprised if they backtrack at this point, but I also don't think he appreciates just how beloved that intro was.

Woofer
04-03-2013, 08:47 PM
I just want to agree with everyone else here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The original montage and song were not broken and I too looked forward to the new tweaks every season. I want it back.

soxcap
04-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Harry's Game! Ha! It's Harrow's Way.

But yeah, my sentiments exactly. Has anyone else complained to Brooks? I'd frankly be surprised if they backtrack at this point, but I also don't think he appreciates just how beloved that intro was.

Aw, I knew I had it wrong!! Only got the first syllable right.

BainesHOF
04-03-2013, 09:18 PM

It's like Brooks Boyer is now playing the role of Rob Gallas.

I agree. It's time to boo the new video. Perhaps then Boyer will get the message.

There's no way a significant amount of people said they wanted the opening to change. That's just someone covering their behind. It's insulting.

ChiSoxGal85
04-03-2013, 09:54 PM
I am going to be really sad if there's no more Pirates intro. The way it combines Sox historical highlights and showcases current players, using epic music...it is terrific. I loved watching it carefully to see the changes each season. I looked forward to seeing it both at games and the times that they showed it on TV. Brooks, if you're reading this - please bring it back!

GlassSox
04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
I am going to be really sad if there's no more Pirates intro. The way it combines Sox historical highlights and showcases current players, using epic music...it is terrific. I loved watching it carefully to see the changes each season. I looked forward to seeing it both at games and the times that they showed it on TV. Brooks, if you're reading this - please bring it back!

Send Brooks an email to bboyer@chisox.com

IronFisk
04-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Yeah...not a fan. The voice is too deep and easily muddled - even with a sparse crowd like today. Having music build to a crescendo is far better than narrative. In fact...I can't remember ever hearing a voice over for ANY intro for all the teams I have visited.

I still miss Homerun of the Century :(:

Noir
04-04-2013, 12:23 AM
So much hate for this video. IMO, I found it interesting. Never seen this from any other team using their own players to look like they did it. Kinda reminds me of the video i saw of some Hawk players singing "Here Come the Hawks"

Noneck
04-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Heard it today to start broadcast on wciu, its ok but not something you can hear and understand at the park.

lpneck
04-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Just to follow up after seeing it a second time today.

The voice over just doesn't work. I sat in the upper deck on the 1st base side on opening day with a large crowd, and in right field today with a small crowd. You just can't hear it. People in section 107 today were trying to pay attention to it, and were mostly just confused because they had no idea what was being said.

That being said, there is some cool footage in the video. I love the shot of Minnie Minoso with tears running down his face during the World Series parade. I have seen the clip from the World Series DVD of him yelling to the crowd "I love everybody!" But the emotion you see from him on the pregame video is awesome.

mattcoz
04-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I was very disappointed by the intro today at the game, as others have said it is just boring. It should get the fans pumped up for the game, not put them to sleep.

Heff
04-07-2013, 09:47 AM
My first post! Thought this would be a good one to get my feet wet :)

I took my daughters to Opening Day and the new intro was played. We couldn't hear it, got bored and tuned it out. Then Thunderstruck started playing... my 14 year old said "What the heck?! Where's the MONtage??!!"

So, I'm just throwing my 2 cents out there, that it really was part of the fan experience, and that even the younger fans got into it. I'd like to see it back.

RealFan
04-07-2013, 11:43 AM
After reading about the new video on this website, I was really expecting the worst at the game yesterday. However, I wasn't as put off by the video as I thought I would be. That being said, it was almost impossible to hear.

At the end of the day, I hope they bring back the original video that so many of us enjoyed watching before the game.

Lamp81
04-07-2013, 06:51 PM
What, if any, pre-game video did they show 1983? That's what they should use for Sunday games.

SoxFanCPA
04-07-2013, 09:02 PM
The video is awful. Loved $10 parking though.

rookie
04-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Boo to the video changing. I looked forward to the video every game. Would even try to finish tailgating on time to catch it. Just like I enjoy watching the Bulls smash the opponents bus in their video. Why mess with it? I learned some of the White Sox important moments through that video. It's cool seeing the past mesh with the present and future.

Booooo.

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Boo to the video changing. I looked forward to the video every game. Would even try to finish tailgating on time to catch it. Just like I enjoy watching the Bulls smash the opponents bus in their video. Why mess with it? I learned some of the White Sox important moments through that video. It's cool seeing the past mesh with the present and future.

Booooo.

Well according to the data you are in the minority. Everyone wanted the pregame montage changed.

BainesHOF
04-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Bill Maher has offered $1 million to anyone who can prove they told Brooks Boyer they were unhappy with the previous pregame video.

Ron Karkovice
04-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Bill Maher has offered $1 million to anyone who can prove they told Brooks Boyer they were unhappy with the previous pregame video.

I dont understand the reference here?

SoxFanCPA
04-07-2013, 11:04 PM
I dont understand the reference here?

It's political. Google Bill Maher Donald Trump.

Ron Karkovice
04-07-2013, 11:07 PM
It's political. Google Bill Maher Donald Trump.

I should know that. I don't miss an episode of Bill Maher's show on HBO. I think he's pretty funny. Annoyingly left at times, but funny/smart nonetheless.

Milw
04-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Has anyone talked to ANYONE who is actually happy with the video switch? Serious question. So far it's been unanimous against it, as far as I can tell...

ChiSoxFann
04-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Yesterday was my second game of the season so I paid a little more attention to it. It has some nice parts (as someone said with Minnie crying at the parade), but the crowd was so quiet and didn't get pumped up until Thunderstruck started. The Minnie clip could have easily been added to the old intro.

The new video is pretty dull and the whole message is really weak. It has me missing the old intro more than ever. I think they only created it so they can get that "Make an impact" line in at the end of it before Thunderstruck starts. We can only hope the Pirates highlight video is back April 19.

Milw
04-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Yesterday was my second game of the season so I paid a little more attention to it. It has some nice parts (as someone said with Minnie crying at the parade), but the crowd was so quiet and didn't get pumped up until Thunderstruck started. The Minnie clip could have easily been added to the old intro.

The new video is pretty dull and the whole message is really weak. It has me missing the old intro more than ever. I think they only created it so they can get that "Make an impact" line in at the end of it before Thunderstruck starts. We can only hope the Pirates highlight video is back April 19.

At the risk of getting redundant, I can't stress enough the importance of emailing Brooks if you want the Pirates video back. This doesn't change unless his inbox gets inundated. (Not that I want to drown the guy in email, but he's apparently still in denial about how unpopular this decision is.)

Bboyer@chisox.com

DonnieDarko
04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
I must be the only one here who doesn't mind the new intro. Don't get me wrong: the old one was great, but this one's not terrible in my mind.

Different strokes, different folks I guess.

Carolina Kenny
04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
At the risk of getting redundant, I can't stress enough the importance of emailing Brooks if you want the Pirates video back. This doesn't change unless his inbox gets inundated. (Not that I want to drown the guy in email, but he's apparently still in denial about how unpopular this decision is.)

Bboyer@chisox.com

I emailed Brooks and he replied. In a polite way he basically told me to shove it. They are going to do what they have planned to do all along.

Milw
04-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I emailed Brooks and he replied. In a polite way he basically told me to shove it. They are going to do what they have planned to do all along.
I know. He's good at polite shoving. It's a shame. At least they'll know people think they're wrong, even if they ultimately don't care.

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2013, 08:13 PM
I know. He's good at polite shoving. It's a shame. At least they'll know people think they're wrong, even if they ultimately don't care.

It seems to me that the one major change in the White Sox marketing department of late has been they are now politely telling people to shove it and "We don't care what you think." It used to be "Shove it, we don't care what you think. Now why won't people come to the ballpark?!"

SoxFanCPA
04-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I must be the only one here who doesn't mind the new intro. Don't get me wrong: the old one was great, but this one's not terrible in my mind.

Different strokes, different folks I guess.

So the old one was great, the new one isn't "terrible", and you're ok with the downgrade.

ChiSoxGal85
04-08-2013, 10:26 PM

Bboyer@chisox.com

Done. I want it back.

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Done. I want it back.

I don't think you're going to see it back anytime soon. I can't recall the last time the White Sox reversed a position they had taken even when the fan base complained. Well, maybe dynamic pricing but that only took what? Three years?

ChiSoxGal85
04-08-2013, 10:37 PM
I don't think you're going to see it back anytime soon. I can't recall the last time the White Sox reversed a position they had taken even when the fan base complained. Well, maybe dynamic pricing but that only took what? Three years?
Fine, but I'm still going to let them know how I feel about it. And when I fill out surveys this season, I'm going to keep complaining about it on those surveys too.

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Fine, but I'm still going to let them know how I feel about it. And when I fill out surveys this season, I'm going to keep complaining about it on those surveys too.

Good for you. I wish you well. I WISH the White Sox would listen to you and their other fans. I know they want to grow the fan base and I hope that they do but that has been a goal ever since Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn took over, they haven't done so. Their attempts have been ham-fisted and wind up alienating the traditional fan base.

ChiSoxGal85
04-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I did get a response from Brooks; he said that he had heard from fans about the issue, and that they were looking at it. He did state that he hoped I'd reserve judgment until I saw it in person. But from what those of you who have seen it in person have said, it seems the new video is actually better suited to television than in person, since no one can hear what's been said.

roylestillman
04-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Dragging this back out. Was at the game today and they have reworked the intro video. Narrative is gone and replaced by music...well actually something that sounded like the Jaws theme. Pretty much the same highlight clips and then the jump into Thunderstruck. Still not quite right.

kruzer31
04-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Intro is terrible. Team is terrible and Dunn , I don't even have a word to describe him

Jeff

GlassSox
04-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Intro is terrible. Team is terrible and Dunn , I don't even have a word to describe him

Jeff

Intro SUCKS almost as much as Dunn :angry:

amsteel
04-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Dragging this back out. Was at the game today and they have reworked the intro video. Narrative is gone and replaced by music...well actually something that sounded like the Jaws theme. Pretty much the same highlight clips and then the jump into Thunderstruck. Still not quite right.

And who says this team can't make adjustments?

Heff
04-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Intro SUCKS almost as much as Dunn :angry:

Whoa, whoa! The intro sucks, but comparing it Dunn is just harsh :smile:

samurai_sox
04-21-2013, 01:13 PM
At this point I really don't give two ****s about the intro, this team is bad and my anger over that has drowned out my feelings about the features of the park, I have never cared about the "ballpark experience", save that crap for the North Side.

ChiSoxGal85
04-21-2013, 01:14 PM
I just caught that newer intro on TV. It's better - but I still like the Pirates video better. This intro is probably good for the stadium, as they replaced the voiceover that no one could hear with music. I recognize the new music from a movie soundtrack, but I can't identify it specifically...it may come to me later; I'll watch it again after the game.

BainesHOF
04-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Saw the new version of the new video on TV, too. It's underwhelming, to say the least. It's just feels so incomplete. Only this organization would alienate fans before the game even starts.

The Sox need to cut the crap already and bring back the old video.

Carolina Kenny
04-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Saw the new version of the new video on TV, too. It's underwhelming, to say the least. It's just feels so incomplete. Only this organization would alienate fans before the game even starts.

The Sox need to cut the crap already and bring back the old video.

The new video is still bad. Something production releated seems to be wrong with the video. The music does not seem to go along well.

It seems that this was a fixer up rushed job after all the static about this subject.

Take a look at the Blackhawks if you want to see marketing well done. Take a look at the White Sox if you want to see El-Cheapo productions and laziness born of Chairman Jerry never holding his executives accountable.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Yesterday was my third game and the rap/rock video is gone. Maybe it was just for the first homestand? Good riddance.

And the new one -- yeah, it's messed up, as everyone has said.

Edit: I meant that "Ladies and Gentlemen" song with the Sox lip-synching. That's the thing that's gone.

Jerko
04-22-2013, 12:30 PM
I thought I heard the voice-over yesterday? I'll be honest, I really don't pay attention to it.

Harry Chappas
04-22-2013, 04:28 PM
At this point I really don't give two ****s about the intro, this team is bad and my anger over that has drowned out my feelings about the features of the park, I have never cared about the "ballpark experience", save that crap for the North Side.

I can appreciate what you're saying but I hope that the Sox marketing folks don't share your view about the "ballpark experience." The die hard fans will likely show up regardless, but the Sox desperately need to draw the casual fans that attend games as much for the "experience" as for the game itself. Bigger crowds mean more revenue which in turn should - in theory - mean bigger payrolls/more competitive teams. Of course it doesn't always work out that way, but you get the point.

beasly213
04-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Was at the game last night and they basically have the same montage but with some really bad song.. yeah don’t even know what the point was of getting rid of the pirates song…
I will say though they showed a pretty sweet montage in between innings to “Some Nights” by fun. Not sure if anyone else saw it but I thought it was pretty badass.