PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Breaking A Royal Pain In The Ass' KC vs SOX 4/1 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
No April Fools! :bandance:

Sale looked really solid today, and good to see Robin's bullpen moves work as he planned them.

If the White Sox are to have any chance this season, they need to break this hex.

Undefeated to start the season!!!! :bandance:

RowanDye
04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
No April Fools! :bandance:

Sale looked really solid today, and good to see Robin's bullpen moves work as he planned them.

If the White Sox are to have any chance this season, they need to break this hex.

Undefeated to start the season!!!! :bandance:

And many more!

BringBackBlkJack
04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
A.J. who??

Kidding aside, so glad to see Flowers show some promise, and Sale continuing right where he left off last season!

Damn it feels good to be a gangster!

DSpivack
04-01-2013, 06:53 PM
1 down, 161 to go...

Falstaff
04-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Flower Power!:bandance:

HomeFish
04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
It was really sad to read pre-game previews in the media, and 75% of the article was talking about how exciting the Royals were. Maybe KC will go to the playoffs this year, but I'm glad we gave them a fight today and hope we continue to do so.

Red Barchetta
1-0 Opening Day wins are a good omen!

:bandance:

DaveIsHere
Nothing like watching Dunn strikeout to ring the season back in....

Great job by Sale!

blandman
04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
FIRST PLACE

We're in first until we're not, so let's all enjoy it!

ChiSoxGal85
04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Kind of a nail biter, but I'll take it. :bandance:
Sale = Awesome.

kevingrt
04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
That was enjoyable.

russ99
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Heck yeah, Sox win, Sale looks filthy and the offense did enough to win.

:gulp::gulp:

Tragg
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Nice
We're going to have a lot of games like this.
Don't mess with the defense.

soltrain21
04-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Opening Day 1-0 wins are always a good start, if history repeats itself.

skobabe8
04-01-2013, 07:21 PM
I LUUUUUUUUUUV first place.

LITTLE NELL
04-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Always great to win the opener plus maybe we can turn around the hex KC has had on us the last few years.

johnnyg83
04-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Great win, Chris Sale.

thomas35forever
04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Wish we had more offense, but for now, I'll tip my cap to Chris Sale. Great win to be at.

GeauxSox
04-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Pins and needles, and a good start.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Got to hand it to MLB, the Sox franchise has lost fans six years straight...yet they schedule 16 home games in April for them. Amazing isn't it??? Talk about not being willing to help...and folks wonder why the Sox are pissed off at the schedule makers every year.

Just glad to get the win. I'll give them a mulligan today because it was so damn cold. If the Sox are still scoring one or two runs off this 'vaunted' Royals pitching staff in June (like they seemed to do a bunch last year) I'll be concerned.

You remember the last time the Sox opened the season with a 1-0 win don't you???

Lip

TDog
04-01-2013, 07:55 PM
I love 1-0 White Sox wins. And today's game was so well played. Great pitcher. Great defense. An incredible play in a key situation by Gordon Beckham deserves mention. Such games don't require much offense to win, and today's solo home run meant something, especially coming on a 2-2 count with a high-strike-out pitcher facing a White Sox hitter who strikes out a bit too often.

It wasn't a perfect game. Nate Jones didn't do his job coming out of the pen, but White Sox had some margin for error with Matt Thornton coming up huge. I'm sure Addison Reed made some fans nervous by allowing a baserunner. And, really it could have been a two-run lead if Adan Dunn had put the ball in play in the bottom of the eighth, although it's not a given that Paul Konerko would have gotten the pitch he needed to hit a deep-enough fly if Alex Rios had been at third. It looked like Dunn could have lost track of the count. Still, pitching duels are usually lost by the teams that don't manufacture enough runs. Today, the Royals couldn't score a runner with one out and the bases loaded, and thanks to Tyler Flowers, it ended up costing them the game.

Flowers is no Posey, but in addition to driving in the only run, he handed a great start by Chris Sale, who really was the star of the game. And the Royals have some hitting.

A great way to start the season.

voodoochile
04-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Sox exhibited why I expect them to outperform most projections. I think they have the best pitching in the AL, maybe in MLB. This staff has the potential to be one of the best the Sox have ever had and they've had some good ones in the past.

Red Barchetta
04-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Got to hand it to MLB, the Sox franchise has lost fans six years straight...yet they schedule 16 home games in April for them. Amazing isn't it??? Talk about not being willing to help...and folks wonder why the Sox are pissed off at the schedule makers every year.

Just glad to get the win. I'll give them a mulligan today because it was so damn cold. If the Sox are still scoring one or two runs off this 'vaunted' Royals pitching staff in June (like they seemed to do a bunch last year) I'll be concerned.

You remember the last time the Sox opened the season with a 1-0 win don't you???

Lip

Yep! See post #7! :wink:

doublem23
04-01-2013, 08:32 PM

Only bad carpenters blame their tools

SOXfnNlansing
04-01-2013, 08:51 PM
It was great to see the team find a way to beat a guy that don't walk people and scatters hits. We got a couple duck snorts and made some dazzling plays in the field. Sale hunkering down in the 3rd inning was big. I wouldn't have pitched to Francoeur in the 7th or 9th, but what do I know?

Soxman219
04-01-2013, 08:52 PM
This was the first Opening Day I attended. It was cold and bone-chilling, but it was worth it to see Chris Sale pitch. I'm really happy this guy is our ace and our future. We're going to contend in this division no doubt.

Hitmen77
04-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Nothing like watching Dunn strikeout to ring the season back in....

Great job by Sale!

On the bright side, the Sox are now more than 1/2 way through his contract! :thumbsup:

Madvora
04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Great game. The most important thing I learned is that Hawk's 2013 crush is Salvador Perez.

vinny
04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Great way to spend our first opening day. The good news for days like today is that Sec. 154 is squarely in the sun. The bad news is that for Sunday games in July, they will be squarely in the sun.

Sale pitched very well and the bullpen generally worked. And the park looks great.

soltrain21
04-01-2013, 09:23 PM

Lip

You do realize the Royals pitching staff is actually very good this year, right? And that James Shields is fantastic?

soxfan21
04-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Great game to be at, and an exceptional performance by Sale.

Jurr
04-01-2013, 09:31 PM
I sure as hell like wins like this over the fiasco that happened against Cleveland a couple years ago.
I firmly believe that close wins featuring pitching and defense set a much better tone than softball games with guys swinging out of their shoes at sub-par pitching.

When the game is close, ABs just mean more, and defensive focus is needed.
I will take these games all year, especially if the pitching staff has enough talent and health to keep it up.

DSpivack
04-01-2013, 10:07 PM
I sure as hell like wins like this over the fiasco that happened against Cleveland a couple years ago.
I firmly believe that close wins featuring pitching and defense set a much better tone than softball games with guys swinging out of their shoes at sub-par pitching.

When the game is close, ABs just mean more, and defensive focus is needed.
I will take these games all year, especially if the pitching staff has enough talent and health to keep it up.
I agree, and especially so in a lower-scoring of MLB now as compared to 5 or 10 years ago.

Railsplitter
04-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Can never have enough of these :bandance:

The first of many!

shingo10
04-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Win series, win series, win series.

sox1970
04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Win series, win series, win series.

That's the postseason.

The regular season is 162 opportunities to win one game.

SoxSpeed22
04-01-2013, 10:36 PM
This is how it's probably going to be this year. Pitching, defense and homers are going to have to get it done. At least we finally won one against the Royals in what seemed like a while (and not just because there was offseason).

Lip Man 1
04-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Voodoo:

I think the staff can be pretty good if they avoid injuries and Danks returns but one of the best in team history?

Short answer: no. :D:

Let's not get carried away here.

Lip

TDog
04-01-2013, 10:58 PM
This is how it's probably going to be this year. Pitching, defense and homers are going to have to get it done. At least we finally won one against the Royals in what seemed like a while (and not just because there was offseason).

Early in the game, Flowers had a chance to give the White Sox a 1-0 with a single. Late in the game, the White Sox had a runner on second with no one out. The White Sox could have scored a run without getting a hit. The need for home runs is overrated.

Golden Sox
04-01-2013, 11:19 PM
I know deep down inside my heart, this is a great start to a Playoff bound season. I'm convinced more and more that the White Sox are going to make a shambles of the Central Division in 2013. Who knows they might even go undefeated this year. We shall see.

lpneck
04-01-2013, 11:46 PM

Lip

What is with your constant negativity? I understood it to a certain extent last September when everyone was frustrated as the Sox collapsed, but seriously? After a 1-0 opening day win?

I know you believe there is a clear anti-sox agenda from the schedule makers for whatever reason, despite the fact the start of the season is 6 game home stand, 10 game road trip, 10 game home stand, 8 game road trip.

And I know you feel the need to belittle good players from other teams with no regard for the fact that some of them are in fact, actually really good players. The Sox, who have a pretty awful lineup, won today on a 35 degree day against an All-Star starter in James Shields, an All-Star reliever in Aaron Crow, and Kelvin Herrera- who had a pretty damn good rookie year last year.

It was a good day to be a Sox fan.

DumpJerry
04-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Good thing Hahn and Co. don't listen to the all-volunteer General Manager Corps at WSI and got rid of Flowers (the only run scored) and sent Beckham to the bench (several game-saving flashes of the leather).

doublem23
04-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Good thing Hahn and Co. don't listen to the all-volunteer General Manager Corps at WSI and got rid of Flowers (the only run scored) and sent Beckham to the bench (several game-saving flashes of the leather).

Got it in with 1 hour to spare!

lpneck
04-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Sale was a stud today, and looked like the ace we all want him to be.

Got to give credit to Thornton- he came in a huge high leverage situation that wasn't of his making and blew Moustakis away on 3 pitches.

I liked seeing his emotion, too. He's normally a pretty reserved guy- I think he knew this was a big moment for him on the season even though it was opening day. He lost 10 games last year- if he gives up a hit to blow the win for Sale there would be an 8 page thread about how he can't be trusted and everyone would be holding their breath when he comes into a game for the next month.

delben91
04-02-2013, 12:01 AM
What is with your constant negativity? I understood it to a certain extent last September when everyone was frustrated as the Sox collapsed, but seriously? After a 1-0 opening day win?

I know you believe there is a clear anti-sox agenda from the schedule makers for whatever reason, despite the fact the start of the season is 6 game home stand, 10 game road trip, 10 game home stand, 8 game road trip.

And I know you feel the need to belittle good players from other teams with no regard for the fact that some of them are in fact, actually really good players. The Sox, who have a pretty awful lineup, won today on a 35 degree day against an All-Star starter in James Shields, an All-Star reliever in Aaron Crow, and Kelvin Herrera- who had a pretty damn good rookie year last year.

It was a good day to be a Sox fan.

:clap:

blandman
04-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Voodoo:

I think the staff can be pretty good if they avoid injuries and Danks returns but one of the best in team history?

Lip

There isn't a pundit that would make them best in the division for 2013. So best in the AL or MLB and best in team history is a pretty large stretch, all things considered. Heck, with his command the way it is, I'm not even sure John Danks will pitch this year.

But our pitching is pretty good. That's a plus.

blandman
04-02-2013, 12:34 AM

Winning a single game is not reason to forget what's wrong about the organization.

Nor is it time to forget the reason the team is expected to have a down year is because of lack of offense, which was on display today.

Sale can't pitch shutouts everyday of the season.

We can celebrate, but it doesn't mean we're not cognizant of reality.

voodoochile
04-02-2013, 12:35 AM
Voodoo:

Lip

Sale Peavy can stack 1-2 with any two from team history if they pitch up to potential. A healthy Danks is as good a 3 as we can hope for and Floyd and Quintana at 4-5 are simply nuts.

I also add in the bullpen is as deep and experienced as we've had in a long time.

This staff can be as good as the 2005 squad, IMO.

IronFisk
04-02-2013, 12:56 AM

Perhaps...the big questions are Addison and Flowers. They produce I will be feeling quite comfy about our chances.

CoopaLoop
04-02-2013, 01:10 AM
I fear we are going to be involved in way too many of these 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 type of games.

Great to see Flowers be the one to win it. Somebody in that 6-9 group needs to produce.

amsteel
04-02-2013, 02:08 AM
How many ABs before the first hit w/ RISP?

TDog
04-02-2013, 02:21 AM
Winning a single game is not reason to forget what's wrong about the organization.

Nor is it time to forget the reason the team is expected to have a down year is because of lack of offense, which was on display today.

Sale can't pitch shutouts everyday of the season.

We can celebrate, but it doesn't mean we're not cognizant of reality.

Everything is amplified on opening day becaue it's all anyone has seen. But it's the only reality.

There is no reason to complain about a lack of offense when your team wins a 1-0 opening game any more than there was no reason to assume the White Sox would crush every team offensively after they scored 15 runs in the opener in Cleveland a couple of years ago. If you look back at the 2011 season, the most runs the White Sox scored in any game was the 15 they scored on opening day. If you look back at the the 2005 season, the pitiful offense on display in the 1-0 opening-day win really wasn't all that bad. At least it was good enough.

Today the Sox scored only one run, but they won, and deservedly so. The reality is that the White Sox played a great game against a team that has played them tough in recent years, a team that hit very well in spring exhibition games with players have hit Sale well in the past.

Your reality at this point is more opinion and expectation than reality.

Noneck
04-02-2013, 02:26 AM
I am curious why Gillaspie was brought in as a defense replacement for Paul in the 9th. How much has the guy played 1st? Is Paul hurt?

LITTLE NELL
04-02-2013, 07:16 AM
With the temp in the high 30s did anyone expect some kind of slugfest?
89 more 1-0 wins would be fine with me.

SephClone89
04-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Lip

Yaaaaay conspiracy theories!

You do realize the Royals pitching staff is actually very good this year, right? And that James Shields is fantastic?

I'm pretty sure Lip has said in the past that he rarely, if ever, watches non-Sox MLB games.

I am curious why Gillaspie was brought in as a defense replacement for Paul in the 9th. How much has the guy played 1st? Is Paul hurt?

Believe it or not, Paulie isn't a very good defender.

Great game. School gets out at 2:50, and we can leave at 3:20, so I was able to listen to the game on MLB and on my drive home. Got home at around the end of the third.

Chris. Sale.

DonnieDarko
04-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Believe it or not, Paulie isn't a very good defender.

I'll grant you that he doesn't have much range, but I can't remember anything else that he's done at 1B to make him a bad defender. Not everyone can be Texeira. Or however he spells his name.

SephClone89
04-02-2013, 08:10 AM
I'll grant you that he doesn't have much range, but I can't remember anything else that he's done at 1B to make him a bad defender. Not everyone can be Texeira. Or however he spells his name.

He makes some good plays, and is a little better than you might think considering his range...but range is really important. Most defensive metrics aren't too kind to him.

October26
04-02-2013, 08:23 AM
I know deep down inside my heart, this is a great start to a Playoff bound season. I'm convinced more and more that the White Sox are going to make a shambles of the Central Division in 2013. Who knows they might even go undefeated this year. We shall see.

:thumbsup: Love your enthusiasm and positive energy! After a miserable Winter (most of which I spent sick), it was wonderful to have baseball back. The Sox are my favorite team so Opening Day feels like Christmas+MyBirthday to me. Nice win yesterday that featured great Sox pitching+defense+just-enough-hitting. I am looking forward to enjoying my health along with what will hopefully be an exciting Summer of White Sox baseball. GO SOX!

harwar
04-02-2013, 08:47 AM
I was just glad that baseball is back .. although i don't expect the Sox to fare to well this year, it doesn't stop me from watching and enjoying, every single game..

Dan H
04-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Despite the cold, I had more fun at this opener than any other I have attended. The team played well. However, and I know this is only one game, but Adam Dunn looked clueless up there. Looked more like 2011 than 2012.

SCCWS
04-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Lip

Or Sox management gets proactive and does something like Boston did.

"Those cuts in concession prices — kids can eat free, beers will cost as little as $5, among other things — are a thank you to the fans who do brave the New England weather for one of Boston’s 17 April home games"

amsteel
04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
The cuts the Red Sox are making have less to do with thanking 'brave fans' and more to do with attendance dropping to pre-2003 levels.

Carolina Kenny
04-02-2013, 09:28 AM

I believe I read somewhere that Konerko has the worst range amongst all MLB first baseman. Perhaps Robin wanted to guard the lines against a double in the ninth? I suspect you will see alot of Conor as a late inning defensive replacement for Paulie.

Hitmen77
04-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Sale Peavy can stack 1-2 with any two from team history if they pitch up to potential. A healthy Danks is as good a 3 as we can hope for and Floyd and Quintana at 4-5 are simply nuts.

I also add in the bullpen is as deep and experienced as we've had in a long time.

I like your optimism, but I think there's a pretty big drop off after Sale and Peavy (who are a great 1-2). Floyd has been inconsistent his entire career and I don't expect that to change this year. Quintana is still a question mark to me and the jury is still out on whether he can be a solid starter over the long haul. As far as Danks goes, it's really up in the air if he can come back to his old level of effectiveness any time soon.

doublem23
04-02-2013, 12:06 PM
He makes some good plays, and is a little better than you might think considering his range...but range is really important. Most defensive metrics aren't too kind to him.

Range is overrated for 1B, IMO, which is why Konerko is usually undervalued defensively. Sure, it's nice to have a 1B who can pick a ball off the line and save a double once every week when that happens but from your 1B defensively, it's more important to have a guy who shields the rest of the IF from errors with solid gloveplay at 1B, which I think Konerko remains excellent at.

salty99
04-02-2013, 12:15 PM

I was surprised Ventura left Viciedo out there and didn't bring in Wise for defense.

Lip Man 1
04-02-2013, 12:24 PM
lpneck:

I don't "believe" there is an anti-Sox agenda from the schedule makers per se. I do think they are getting the short end of the stick because that is what is being relayed to me by folks in the front office.

Take it for whatever that's worth to you. They don't like it, and based on what I see I think they have a case.

Sox attendence is going to be basically zero the rest of those April home games unless the weather warms up. Now think about this, you've got a franchise that has lost fans for six straight seasons...that's a fact. So what does MLB do?

They give them 16 April home games...in Chicago...in April. How dumb does someone have to be? To say nothing of the construction that is also going to have an impact on getting to the game.

Now it's also a fact (as told to me by an individual in the Sox front office), that when Cleveland was struggling with attendence MLB for example slated the Yankees twice during the summer on a weekend in order to help out.

Do you see this kind of help in regards to the Sox?

Didn't think so.

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe the Sox will have 20 thousand actual fans in the seats for all the remaining April home games but I'd be willing to make you a wager they don't. This franchise is struggling getting fans in the seats...this doesn't help matters does it?

Regarding the Royals all I can say is that they've had what, one winning season in a decade, we keep hearing every season about all this great young talent and then we see the results. They get lit up like a Christmas tree by everyone BUT the Sox.

Frustrating and embarassing... to say nothing of the fact it cost the Sox a playoff spot.

This offense is probably going to be sporadic this year as others have already said so it's not just me. And besides I said I gave the offense a mulligan yesterday because it was so damn cold. Don't know what more you want?

Lip

Noneck
04-02-2013, 12:49 PM
I was surprised Ventura left Viciedo out there and didn't bring in Wise for defense.

Good point, what is more of a upgrade defensively: Gillaspie for Paul or Wise for Viciedo? Ill go with the later. But both would be ok if Gillaspie is good with the glove at 1st and I dont know that.

doublem23
04-02-2013, 01:01 PM
It's pretty laughable to say you don't believe in some kind of conspiracy agenda and then lay out borderline ridiculous conspiracy.

:rolling:

SCCWS
04-02-2013, 01:27 PM
The cuts the Red Sox are making have less to do with thanking 'brave fans' and more to do with attendance dropping to pre-2003 levels.

Could be but why drop prices only in April????

Lip Man 1
04-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Double:

I'm relaying what I'm being told from the Sox. I don't think MLB is deliberately trying to screw the Sox but someone in scheduling isn't thinking this through and the Sox are getting the short end over it. The Sox aren't getting concerned because they have nothing better to do with their time are they?

I don't see how slating 16 home games in April in cold miserable weather is going to benefit a franchise that is having attendence issues.

That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it does to you however, if that's the case, so be it.

Lip

Hitmen77
04-02-2013, 02:25 PM
lpneck:

I don't "believe" there is an anti-Sox agenda from the schedule makers per se. I do think they are getting the short end of the stick because that is what is being relayed to me by folks in the front office.

Take it for whatever that's worth to you. They don't like it, and based on what I see I think they have a case.

Sox attendence is going to be basically zero the rest of those April home games unless the weather warms up. Now think about this, you've got a franchise that has lost fans for six straight seasons...that's a fact. So what does MLB do?

They give them 16 April home games...in Chicago...in April. How dumb does someone have to be? To say nothing of the construction that is also going to have an impact on getting to the game.

Now it's also a fact (as told to me by an individual in the Sox front office), that when Cleveland was struggling with attendence MLB for example slated the Yankees twice during the summer on a weekend in order to help out.

Do you see this kind of help in regards to the Sox?

Didn't think so.

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe the Sox will have 20 thousand actual fans in the seats for all the remaining April home games but I'd be willing to make you a wager they don't. This franchise is struggling getting fans in the seats...this doesn't help matters does it?

Lip

If the White Sox organization is concerned about early season attendance, instead of complaining about the schedule, maybe they should run this organization in such a way that they make the playoffs more than once every 5 years or so.

I don't care what MLB did for Cleveland. Chicago (the city) is not Cleveland. The Sox are a major market team and their biggest problem is that they pissed away the boost they got from 2005 thanks to their performance on the field (especially after 2008). Years of the team falling on their face to start the season, letting a manager stick around who has already quit on the team and who throws fans under the bus, year after year of fizzling out late in the season.

IMO, anyone in the Sox organization who wants to point to the MLB schedule as their problem should be ashamed of themselves.

amsteel
04-02-2013, 02:45 PM
If the Sox played 16 of the first 26 on the road, people would bitch about that too.

jdm2662
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
IMO, anyone in the Sox organization who wants to point to the MLB schedule as their problem should be ashamed of themselves.

Agreed. It's the White Sox's problem and no one elses.

People need to stop living in the old days where weather, etc. made a difference. It was 36 degrees yesterday, and the game was a sell out. Why?Those tickets were already sold. Selling season tickets is what drives up attendance and that's that. the Sox season ticket base isn't very high. They were in contention for the division last year, and didn't even break the 2 million mark. 25K people aren't going to wake up one day and decide to come to the game. If you have to depend on walk ups, you simply aren't going to cut it.

Since someone in the Sox front office had an issue with the scheduling, I'm sure we will hear the ol Hawk claim it's a conspiracy and the whole world is against the Sox.

voodoochile
04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Sox won't draw until June anyway and they have the majority of their May games on the road. Random fluke, IMO. No one wants home games in April except for the very best drawing teams and even they don't sell out those games due to weather and kids still being in school.

GlassSox
04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
With the temp in the high 30s did anyone expect some kind of slugfest?
89 more 1-0 wins would be fine with me.

:yup:

RKMeibalane
04-02-2013, 03:10 PM
It's pretty laughable to say you don't believe in some kind of conspiracy agenda and then lay out borderline ridiculous conspiracy.

:rolling:

Did you expect anything else from him? It's April 2, and he's in mid-season form. In all seriousness, I don't know that there's a way to fix this issue, as the weather in Chicago in April will always be unpredictable. I suppose MLB could try scheduling more games in warm weather cities to avoid the cold, but those organizations will lose games from their schedule that may be useful to have during the summer, when their own attendance is likely to increase.

If US Cellular Field were a dome, there wouldn't be an issue. As it is, the Sox play in a colder part of the country, and that's not likely to change unless someone punches (another) hole in the ozone layer near the ballpark.

Having said all of that, I don't believe that the weather is the sole reason for poor attendance. The Sox need to focus on keeping fans interested and drawing news fan to the ballpark. They can accomplish that by putting a winning team on the field more than a few times each decade, and by not alienating fans with threats and ultimatums (if you don't show up, we won't spend). People don't want to hear that, and they're even less likely to spend money in response to it.

The other day, I read an article talking about leadership, and one of the examples listed illustrating bad leadership was someone in a supervisory position threatening his employees and customers via email, which resulted in several of the employees quitting and the customers taking their business elsewhere. I would have laughed except that the situation reminded me of how Reinsdorf has dealt with fans, media, and others throughout his time as the Sox principal owner. If he wants more people at games, he needs to stop utilizing the same, tired rhetoric we've been hearing for years.

doublem23
04-02-2013, 03:15 PM
The other day, I read an article talking about leadership, and one of the examples listed illustrating bad leadership was someone in a supervisory position threatening his employees and customers via email, which resulted in several of the employees quitting and the customers taking their business elsewhere. I would have laughed except that the situation reminded me of how Reinsdorf has dealt with fans, media, and others throughout his time as the Sox principal owner. If he wants more people at games, he needs to stop utilizing the same, tired rhetoric we've been hearing for years.

They just have to win. Thinking people don't show up to games because of the "owner's rhetoric" is as absurd as thinking people in Chicago get chased away by temperatures in the 40s.

bunkaroo
04-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Temp didn't feel as bad as I thought it would but man this is easily the worst time I've ever had trying to get to the ballpark. I decided to get down in the area about 2pm because of the cold - didn't want to stand around in the park for 2 hours. Big mistake. Every lot was full. Took over an hour just to get back to a point I could cross back over to west of the Ryan and get street parked around 28th and Normal. Just horrific.

You'd think after three straight home openers I'd have learned my lesson, but no. Next year I will be down there 3 hours before the game. And I don't anyone that likes to tailgate or it wouldn't have been a problem.

RKMeibalane
04-02-2013, 03:18 PM
They just have to win. Thinking people don't show up to games because of the "owner's rhetoric" is as absurd as thinking people in Chicago don't show up to games because it's 40 degrees.

I agree. The problem is that people have developed the perception that Reinsdorf doesn't want to win because of his comments about money. Is that perception entirely accurate? No. Reinsdorf wants to win, but fans want to see results, not lip service. People are tired of seeing the Sox have one good season, followed by three or four mediocre seasons. When the Sox were winning consistently (2005 and early '06), they were drawing well. If they can get back to that level or close to it, attendance will improve.

TomBradley72
04-02-2013, 03:21 PM
They just have to win. Thinking people don't show up to games because of the "owner's rhetoric" is as absurd as thinking people in Chicago don't show up to games because it's 40 degrees.

I agree- but I think they can also be more aggressive with promotions for April/May games- I'd make all of April (excluding Opening Day) "Value Month"- all tickets 50% off, and I'd have fireworks for the Friday/Saturday nights- if you get a slight break in the weather- you could generate some nice walk up business.

Wedema
04-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Sox won't draw until June anyway and they have the majority of their May games on the road. Random fluke, IMO. No one wants home games in April except for the very best drawing teams and even they don't sell out those games due to weather and kids still being in school.

Yes, the Sox do not draw until Memorial Day weekend and the kids are out of school. Less home games in April means more home games in May that will not draw either. Also, anyone can say that some "individual" in the front office said this or that but if they do not name their source or have a quote it is basically useless information.

SephClone89
04-02-2013, 03:23 PM
I dunno guys, I love getting amazing seats for dirt cheap in April

RKMeibalane
04-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Yes, the Sox do not draw until Memorial Day weekend and the kids are out of school. Less home games in April means more home games in May that will not draw either. Also, anyone can say that some "individual" in the front office said this or that but if they do not name their source or have a quote it is basically useless information.

To be fair, Lip has shared several of his emails with Brooks and other Sox officials in the past, so I know that he has some communication with them. Whether that communication happens as part of his job or by other means I don't know, but he's been kind enough to disclose some of things he's discussed with Sox brass.

Lip Man 1
04-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Wedema:

I've been around here since 2002, 11 years now... you know I'm not one to make stuff up and say things that don't have some facts behind them.

I'm not going to name my sources, period. You can take what I write at face value or dismiss it, your choice.

But I do get upset with the inference that I'm making things up for the hell of it. Don't confuse me with some other posters who have been banned for things like that.

All you have to do is read the over 50 interviews I've done for this site to know that I have access to individuals in the organization that do know what's going on....and I keep in touch with them regularly, both former players, former members of the front office and current ones via phone calls and e-mails.

If that isn't enough to convince you then there's nothing more I can say or will say for that matter.

Lip

JB98
04-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Just think of how dominating Chris Sale would be if he could just develop a knuckle curve. :cool:

Nice start to the season. You knew it was going to be a low-scoring game because of the weather. The Sox pitcher was better than the Kansas City pitcher. I'll take it.

SCCWS
04-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Wedema:

I've been around here since 2002, 11 years now... you know I'm not one to make stuff up and say things that don't have some facts behind them.

I'm not going to name my sources, period. You can take what I write at face value or dismiss it, your choice.

But I do get upset with the inference that I'm making things up for the hell of it. Don't confuse me with some other posters who have been banned for things like that.

All you have to do is read the over 50 interviews I've done for this site to know that I have access to individuals in the organization that do know what's going on....and I keep in touch with them regularly, both former players, former members of the front office and current ones via phone calls and e-mails.

If that isn't enough to convince you then there's nothing more I can say or will say for that matter.

Lip

Lip: I think the point that many have made is that instaed of whining about it, the front office had plenty of time to react to it:

1. As previously mentioned, the Red Sox have 17 home dates in a city that has weather just as bad as Chicago. They have already slashed concession prices for April games
2. School is still in. Make that a positive. Do promotions that offers free student tics w adult tics. Offer promotions to schools that schedule bus trips to games.
3. Offer 2 for 1 to college students while they are still in the area.

In general these slouches in the front office need to look around what other teams do to promote fan interest. There are quite a few cities besides Chicago that experiences cold weather in April that don't have domes.

Saracen
04-02-2013, 06:29 PM
I recall a newspaper article a few years back bitching about how the Rangers had so many April home games - here where it actually is warm - because no matter what team you are, you're not gonna draw until school's out.

blandman
04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Your reality at this point is more opinion and expectation than reality.

WHAT?! We scored one run. If anything, empirical evidence is supporting the case that this team will have trouble scoring runs. Making that assumption from one game is fool-hardy sure, but it's not opinion that this offense is expected to blow chunks. It would be opinion if you expected them to vastly outproduce history and projections.

Foulke You
04-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Good point, what is more of a upgrade defensively: Gillaspie for Paul or Wise for Viciedo? Ill go with the later. But both would be ok if Gillaspie is good with the glove at 1st and I dont know that.
Agree there. I was also wondering why Wise wasn't brought in for Tank in the 9th. Wise has more range and is just better overall defensively. The only nod I would give to Tank would perhaps be in arm strength.

Lip Man 1
04-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Maybe Robin was thinking about the possibility of the Royals tying the game in the 9th and he wanted to keep Dayan's bat in the lineup?

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-02-2013, 07:23 PM
SCCWS:

Those are some valid points. Can't argue with them. I don't know what the Sox may or may not have considered. They have already cut prices though so it's not like they aren't doing anything.

What I do know is that JR himself asked two high ranking members of the front office to examine and compare all the other schedules looking at things like April home games, the interleague match up's (the organization was wondering why the Sox played say the Dodgers more the past few years then the Brewers only 90 miles up the road), short West Coast road trips, what days of the week the Yankees were in a particular town (weekday as opposed to weekend's) things along those lines.

I know those 'results' were handed to him. What happened after that I don't know.

One thing I was told is that again MLB helped Cleveland when they were having attendance issues but the same 'help' didn't seem to be forthcoming to the Sox.

Why that is, is something Bud would have to answer.

To me it seems both sides have issues and legit complaints. It would be nice if they can get together for the benfit of the fan. You know the folks who drive this entire six billion dollar industry so that they don't have to sit freezing their asses off so many times. To say nothing of helping the players perform better.

Just my opinion.

Lip

Hitmen77
04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
SCCWS:

Those are some valid points. Can't argue with them. I don't know what the Sox may or may not have considered. They have already cut prices though so it's not like they aren't doing anything.

What I do know is that JR himself asked two high ranking members of the front office to examine and compare all the other schedules looking at things like April home games, the interleague match up's (the organization was wondering why the Sox played say the Dodgers more the past few years then the Brewers only 90 miles up the road), short West Coast road trips, what days of the week the Yankees were in a particular town (weekday as opposed to weekend's) things along those lines.

I know those 'results' were handed to him. What happened after that I don't know.

One thing I was told is that again MLB helped Cleveland when they were having attendance issues but the same 'help' didn't seem to be forthcoming to the Sox.

Why that is, is something Bud would have to answer.

To me it seems both sides have issues and legit complaints. It would be nice if they can get together for the benfit of the fan. You know the folks who drive this entire six billion dollar industry so that they don't have to sit freezing their asses off so many times. To say nothing of helping the players perform better.

Just my opinion.

Lip

Cleveland is an economically depressed small market city. Cleveland ╪ Chicago.

The White Sox should spend more time worrying about how to build a consistent playoff team than worrying about saying "where's mine" every time MLB does something to help a struggling franchise in a depressed city.

TDog
04-03-2013, 11:34 AM
WHAT?! We scored one run. If anything, empirical evidence is supporting the case that this team will have trouble scoring runs. Making that assumption from one game is fool-hardy sure, but it's not opinion that this offense is expected to blow chunks. It would be opinion if you expected them to vastly outproduce history and projections.

The Angels scored only one run through nine in their opener. I think they scored one run through 12 becuase they couldn't score in extra innings with the bases loaded and one out The only reason they scored more in the game was that their pitching and defense allowed a run through the first nine against the Reds, and the game went deep into the Reds bullpen. The Dodgers were shut out through seven in their opener until their starting pitcher broke the tie in the eighth with a home run, and he isn't even in the lineup every day. With all the money the Dodgers have spent on offense, they have only scored in one inning through two games this season.

If the Sox are screwed because they can't start Sale every day, at least their lineup won't have to face Shields every day. There are aspects to their Sox lineup I don't like. Many here know what they are. But you are overreacting. A 1-0 win on a cold April day featuring two top starters does not validate your expectations that the White Sox are doomed because they have a weak offense.

Crestani
04-03-2013, 01:45 PM
If the Sox are screwed because they can't start Sale every day, at least their lineup won't have to face Shields every day. There are aspects to their Sox lineup I don't like. Many here know what they are. But you are overreacting. A 1-0 win on a cold April day featuring two top starters does not validate your expectations that the White Sox are doomed because they have a weak offense.

X2
:scratch:

doublem23
04-03-2013, 01:50 PM

X2
:scratch:

It's Opening Day, people are going to overreact no matter what. The Sox could have won 10-0 and someone would still find a minor flaw and predict doom and gloom.

doublem23
04-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Maybe Robin was thinking about the possibility of the Royals tying the game in the 9th and he wanted to keep Dayan's bat in the lineup?

Lip

Robin subs Wise in the 7th immediately after Viciedo lines out to end the inning so your guess may be correct

cards press box
04-03-2013, 05:12 PM
lpneck:

I don't "believe" there is an anti-Sox agenda from the schedule makers per se.

No, the anti-Sox agenda is the domain of pre-season prognosticators, the local sports media and, of course, the national sports media!

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/thefw.com/files/2011/12/dog-close-up-300x225.jpg

Sox won a season opener 1-0 for the first time since 2005 when the Sox beat Cleveland 1-0 to open the season? And then the Sox hit 4 homers today to beat K.C. 5-2? Are you kiddin' me?

Nope, not kidding!

:winner

And a 2-0 start!