PDA

View Full Version : How to dress for Opening Day

thomas35forever
03-31-2013, 11:14 PM
We shouldn't have to have this discussion, but it's gonna be COLD tomorrow. How warm should we be dressed? Wool socks or regular socks? Shoes or galoshes?

vinny
03-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Personally, I'll have a hat, gloves, sweatshirt and long sleeve tee under my Sox jersey, and long underwear under my jeans. But regular socks. If the sun stays hidden it's gonna suck.

Wedema
04-01-2013, 12:10 AM
It will be winter coat, hat, and gloves for me.

LoveYourSuit
04-01-2013, 12:41 AM
It's a whole lot warmer with 38K warm bodies than it is when there are only the usual 20K.

GlassSox
04-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Dressing like going to a football game except in Sox gear. It is going to be real cold afternoon. At least the beer will stay cold all day long. :gulp:

C-Dawg
04-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Is it supposed to be windy? That makes the difference for me.

I went to an early gave a few years ago, and sat in the corner right above the Sox bullpen. It was sunny with NO wind. I took off my jacket and it was fantasticly pleasant despite the temperature posted on the then-new out-of-town scoreboard being a chilly 36 degrees.

DumpJerry
04-01-2013, 08:17 AM
It's a whole lot warmer with 38K warm bodies than it is when there are only the usual 20K.

Nope. Been to 38k Sox games in this weather. It's cold. Been to 65,000 Bears games when it was sub-zero and it felt like, well, sub-zero.

You're outside, there is no buildup of body heat from everyone. That only works in an enclosed space.

Dressing like going to a football game except in Sox gear. It is going to be real cold afternoon. At least the beer will stay cold all day long. :gulp:
Yup.

soxfanatlanta
04-01-2013, 08:48 AM
All about layers.

SephClone89
04-01-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm thinking full peacoat over new Sox track jacket over t-shirt for Wednesday, though that's supposed to be a little bit warmer.

Viva Medias B's
04-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Winter White Sox coat, White Sox sweatshirt underneath, White Sox gloves, White Sox winter hat.

Railsplitter
04-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Is it supposed to be windy? That makes the difference for me.

I went to an early gave a few years ago, and sat in the corner right above the Sox bullpen. It was sunny with NO wind. I took off my jacket and it was fantasticly pleasant despite the temperature posted on the then-new out-of-town scoreboard being a chilly 36 degrees.
Temps are taken in the shade.

Brian26
04-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Personally, I'll have a hat, gloves, sweatshirt and long sleeve tee under my Sox jersey, and long underwear under my jeans. But regular socks. If the sun stays hidden it's gonna suck.

Wait, Vinny. You're not wearing a coat??? :tongue:

spawn
04-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Make sure you are wearing a nice, warm, White Sox toque. :D:

Marqhead
04-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Empty nacho helmets do well to protect the head against fierce winds, White Sox foam fingers do well to protect the hands from frostbite while showing others that the White Sox are indeed #1.

johnnyg83
04-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Perspective is strange. A 39 degree Bears game would be no big deal.

Jerko
04-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Not going today, but as a veteran ass freezer-offer, I usually wear:

Winter coat
Sweatshirt
Tucked in t-shirt (can't have cold wind blowing up your back)
Gloves
earmuffs/hood (I usually wear a Sox cap so I don't use a winter hat)
jeans/regular socks, gym shoes, no long johns.

I got one of the worst sunburns of my life at a cold Sox game; so even though it's cold cover the face or wear sunscreen.

vinny
04-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Wait, Vinny. You're not wearing a coat??? :tongue:

No, I have a controlled time-release packet of icy hot inside my skivvies. If I start to get cold I can just press my thighs together to generate some "core warmth". :redneck

Hitmen77
04-01-2013, 12:31 PM
This might be the coldest Sox home opener ever:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-weather-forecast-white-sox,0,56767.story

spawn
04-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Perspective is strange. A 39 degree Bears game would be no big deal.
Football is a cold weather sport. Baseball is a warm weather sport. You expect to be cold watching football. Not so much with baseball.

chicagowhitesox1
04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
I went today, I didn't think it was too bad until the 7th inning.

thomas35forever
04-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Yeah. The wind started to pick up around that time, but I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable I was. I didn't wear my gloves once when in my seat.

Brian26
04-01-2013, 10:29 PM

It was fine in the sun. It got chilly in the 8th when the shadows moved in, but I was comfortable for most of the game. I dressed appropriately with the Under Armour both top and bottom, so perhaps that made a difference. Or maybe it was the bottomless hot chocolate. :tongue:

ChiSoxGirl
04-01-2013, 10:37 PM
We were in Sec. 531 and shaded the entire time. With the wind out of the northwest, I figured it'd be at our backs; not so much. I was cold five minutes after I sat in my seat; tube socks, crew socks, winter boots, jeans, a thermal shirt, fleece, a winter coat, gloves and a scarf weren't enough for this warm weather girl. It took nearly an hour for the feeling to come back in my toes and nose. We're going again on Saturday and since there'll only be about 19 other people at the ballpark with us, there's going to be some migration into the sun for sure!

That hot chocolate sure looked good, but I couldn't justify $7 for what was probably more like tepid chocolate. But I sure do love the travel mug it comes in!

tebman
04-01-2013, 11:19 PM
We were in Sec. 531 and shaded the entire time. With the wind out of the northwest, I figured it'd be at our backs; not so much. I was cold five minutes after I sat in my seat; tube socks, crew socks, winter boots, jeans, a thermal shirt, fleece, a winter coat, gloves and a scarf weren't enough for this warm weather girl. It took nearly an hour for the feeling to come back in my toes and nose. We're going again on Saturday and since there'll only be about 19 other people at the ballpark with us, there's going to be some migration into the sun for sure!

That hot chocolate sure looked good, but I couldn't justify $7 for what was probably more like tepid chocolate. But I sure do love the travel mug it comes in!

We had the opposite experience, sitting in Section 158 behind the Sox bullpen in the sun all day. A splendid time was had by all as we enjoyed old Sol's radiant warmth.

The remarkable thing was the length of the lines outside the men's rooms. I've been going to games for what seems like a thousand years and don't remember having to wait that long to do what needed to be done. Missed a full inning waiting in the anxious queue as I craned my neck looking toward the field or for a TV screen. Fortunately nobody scored while I was indisposed.

But how about that Chris Sale? I'd say he's a keeper.

:cool:

ChiSoxGal85
04-01-2013, 11:23 PM

I have somewhat poor circulation in my hands and feet, and therefore a low tolerance for cold temps - for me, wool socks make a big difference in cold weather, much better than two or three pairs of cotton socks. Maybe even wool socks on your hands! :smile:

doublem23
04-01-2013, 11:36 PM
I couldn't get to the park today, but I did notice it was a warm sun downtown; I chalked it up to the eternal optimism of Opening Day. Warmest upper-30s day ever!

vinny
04-02-2013, 08:03 AM
We had the same experience as Tebman in Sec. 154. As long as the sun was out it was fine (and it was out the majority of the day). Men's room lines were ridiculous and there were definitely a ****load of people who attempted to drink their way into warmth.

Incidentally, while queued up inside the men's room, the voice from the radio broadcast I was hearing didn't sound like either Farmer or DJ. Would the Sox have piped in audio from KC's crew?

Jerko
04-02-2013, 09:27 AM
We had the opposite experience, sitting in Section 158 behind the Sox bullpen in the sun all day. A splendid time was had by all as we enjoyed old Sol's radiant warmth.

The remarkable thing was the length of the lines outside the men's rooms. I've been going to games for what seems like a thousand years and don't remember having to wait that long to do what needed to be done. Missed a full inning waiting in the anxious queue as I craned my neck looking toward the field or for a TV screen. Fortunately nobody scored while I was indisposed.

The mens rooms are always like that on opening day. Saw a guy piss himself once waiting to get in. Luckily last year (when it seemed everybody in the park was on that concourse) I had a stadium club pass and tended to business up there.

Jerko
04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I couldn't get to the park today, but I did notice it was a warm sun downtown; I chalked it up to the eternal optimism of Opening Day. Warmest upper-30s day ever!

I agree doub. I missed the game myself (first time in forever I haven't gone to the opener), but as I left work early it seemed pretty damn nice outside. When I'm there tomorrow though, I'll feel cold even though it's supposed to be a warmer day.

Harry Potter
04-02-2013, 09:51 AM

Agreed. As STH in Section 158, it was great sitting in the sun and the only time I was really cold was those times the sun would go behind the clouds. I dressed warm enough expecting no sun at all but thankfully, I've had much colder experiences at USCF - especially most of April 2011. In that regard, I think we lucked out yesterday.

The bathroom scene was a mess (pardon the pun) but I've come to expect that on Opening Day. I ended up using the port-a-johns on the Gate 6 ramp (near 154/155)