PDA

View Full Version : Marlins Park Mess

Viva Medias B's
03-31-2013, 01:12 PM
The Miami Herald has a piece today about Marlins Park, open for one year. Let's just say it has become quite a mess for the Miami Marlins and their owner, Jeffrey Loria.

Link (http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/31/3315626/the-financial-mess-at-marlins.html)

Lip Man 1
03-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Big story on Loria in the print edition of S.I. last week (with Gonzaga on the cover). He insists he didn't dupe anybody and that in the long run trading away all those guys will result in the team being better.

:?:

Lip

DumpJerry
03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Big story on Loria in the print edition of S.I. last week (with Gonzaga on the cover). He insists he didn't dupe anybody and that in the long run trading away all those guys will result in the team being better.

:?:

Lip
I suppose that "was the plan all along." With him in MLB, Ricketts will never win the Clown of the Year award.

DSpivack
03-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Is the SEC still investigating the city (county?) government and the ballpark deal?

LITTLE NELL
03-31-2013, 02:27 PM
It is a mess but despite everything that franchise has 2 WS championships in the last 15 years. Go figure.

Lip Man 1
03-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Little:

Well they bought the first one (who says money can't buy happiness?) as far as the second one, they had some good talent, caught a few breaks and rode the wave. It happens.

Lip

Red Barchetta
03-31-2013, 07:33 PM
...that's what happens when you install blue seats instead of green seats! :tongue:

The Immigrant
03-31-2013, 08:45 PM
If you claim to be losing money operating an MLB franchise in this day and age, you are either a liar or a complete ****ing buffoon.

asindc
03-31-2013, 10:07 PM
If you claim to be losing money operating an MLB franchise in this day and age, you are either a liar or a complete ****ing buffoon.

Truth.

Brian26
03-31-2013, 10:34 PM
It is a mess but despite everything that franchise has 2 WS championships in the last 15 years. Go figure.

Little:

Well they bought the first one (who says money can't buy happiness?) as far as the second one, they had some good talent, caught a few breaks and rode the wave. It happens.

Lip

You'll hear no complaints about that 2nd one from me. Think about it.

WhiteSox5187
03-31-2013, 11:59 PM
MLB needs to find a way to get Loira out of baseball, he has pretty much killed any possible future for baseball in Florida.

Viva Medias B's
04-01-2013, 09:02 AM
I think the Marlins' main problem is Loria and that Commissioner Selig should pressure him to sell the team. A right owner can really make that thing work.

asindc
04-01-2013, 09:19 AM
MLB needs to find a way to get Loira out of baseball, he has pretty much killed any possible future for baseball in Florida.

Just like he pretty much killed any possible future for baseball in Montreal.

WhiteSox5187
04-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Just like he pretty much killed any possible future for baseball in Montreal.

This is true, he has destroyed two franchises. The difference is that Selig gave him a lot of help in killing Montreal.

Viva Medias B's
04-01-2013, 09:17 PM
This is true, he has destroyed two franchises. The difference is that Selig gave him a lot of help in killing Montreal.

The franchise Loria killed in Montreal is now a contender to represent the National League in the World Series.

RKMeibalane
04-01-2013, 09:23 PM
The franchise Loria killed in Montreal is now a contender to represent the National League in the World Series.

But they're a contender in Washington DC, not in Montreal, where they should be. It reminds me of the Thunder/Sonics situation. I remember the Expos at the height of their popularity. The people of that city were heavily invested in seeing the Expos succeed. The 1994 strike ruined any possibility of the Expos winning in Montreal, and then Loria ruined any possibility of baseball remaining a part of the community, at least for the foreseeable future.

WhiteSox5187
04-01-2013, 09:27 PM
But they're a contender in Washington DC, not in Montreal, where they should be. It reminds me of the Thunder/Sonics situation. I remember the Expos at the height of their popularity. The people of that city were heavily invested in seeing the Expos succeed. The 1994 strike ruined any possibility of the Expos winning in Montreal, and then Loria ruined any possibility of baseball remaining a part of the community, at least for the foreseeable future.

The Expos were also contending in 2003 and were getting a walk up crowd of about 20,000 - but Selig refused to allow them to expand their rosters to 40 in September. He also opened up only one ticket booth to address those walk up crowds.

RKMeibalane
04-01-2013, 09:40 PM
The Expos were also contending in 2003 and were getting a walk up crowd of about 20,000 - but Selig refused to allow them to expand their rosters to 40 in September. He also opened up only one ticket booth to address those walk up crowds.

Would you expect anything more of a cheapskate from Wisconsin? Selig is an idiot with no common sense and no self-respect.