PDA

View Full Version : KW calls Frank Thomas "lazy"

Viva Magglio
07-31-2002, 07:14 AM
Agree or disagree with KW, for him to tell other American League GM's that is totally unprofessional - especially if you are trying to convince a GM to take Thomas in a trade!

Go to "Trade tirade" (http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapoport/cst-spt-rap31.html)

hold2dibber
07-31-2002, 07:34 AM
I don't know what to make of this report - it really doesn't make any sense. Why would KW trash Thomas while trying to trade him? It makes me doubt the veracity of the report. On the other hand, if it is true, it is further evidence that KW is (1) in way over his head; and (2) a joke among other front office personnel around the league.

Fisk Fan
07-31-2002, 07:35 AM
I think we all know that KW is not going to win Executive of the year.

Maybe he does not want to deal with the "damaged goods" debate?!?

TornLabrum
07-31-2002, 07:35 AM
Wouldn't you think that if you're trying to make a trade, you're going to emphisize the player's strong points rather than tearing them down. What does he think that does to the value of what you're gonna get in return?

Substitute "Prof. Chaos" in this line by Groucho Marx in "Duck Soup" and you've got the perfect description of this guy:

"Chicolini may look like and idiot, and he may talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot." :angry:

TornLabrum
07-31-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't know what to make of this report - it really doesn't make any sense. Why would KW trash Thomas while trying to trade him? It makes me doubt the veracity of the report. On the other hand, if it is true, it is further evidence that KW is (1) in way over his head; and (2) a joke among other front office personnel around the league.

Read the column more closely. It wasn't just Thomas that Williams was trashing. It was "several" players.

As Bugs Bunny is fond of saying, "What a maroon!" :angry: :angry:

Viva Magglio
07-31-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
I think we all know that KW is not going to win Executive of the year.

Maybe he does not want to deal with the "damaged goods" debate?!?

How could you say that after all those great moves KW made? I'll never forget the impact the Ritchie trade had on our club or the impression KW's reign has had on the folks at Baseball America.

baggio202
07-31-2002, 07:55 AM
maybe someday KW will make another mistake in a trade like he did with baldwin and accidently trade himself :smile:

TornLabrum
07-31-2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
maybe someday KW will make another mistake in a trade like he did with baldwin and accidently trade himself :smile:

Let's all get down on our knees and pray for that day!

hold2dibber
07-31-2002, 08:04 AM
If the article is accurate, KW richly deserves to be trashed. But I'm skeptical about the accuracy of the blurb and I caution everyone to take it with a grain of salt.

Viva Magglio
07-31-2002, 08:21 AM
If the article is accurate, KW richly deserves to be trashed. But I'm skeptical about the accuracy of the blurb and I caution everyone to take it with a grain of salt.

Ron Rapoport is usually pretty reliable. He's also the one that said the Wrigley ivy was probably killed by a Wrigley groundskeeper.

TornLabrum
07-31-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Ron Rapoport is usually pretty reliable. He's also the one that said the Wrigley ivy was probably killed by a Wrigley groundskeeper.

Another thing to note is that he apparently talked to someone in the front office of one AL club. One can only wonder which club it was and who the other players were that Prof. Chaos dumped on besides Thomas.

It's a good thing the Sox are out of town. This kind of thing can't help the clubhouse atmosphere when your own boss is knocking you to other potential employers. :angry:

SoxFan14
07-31-2002, 09:00 AM
I have a very had time believing KW called up some executives to say, "Hey, would you be interested in Frank Thomas? He's lazy, moody, and not worth the money.....but would you take him anyway?".

Come on, even Kenny isn't that stupid. That quote is obviously way out of line. Don't believe everything you read!

By the way, it was Rappaport that said it was probably a groundskeeper that killed the Ivy, but it still hasn't been proven who did it so you can't say he got that one right......no one knows.

LongDistanceFan
07-31-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Another thing to note is that he apparently talked to someone in the front office of one AL club. One can only wonder which club it was and who the other players were that Prof. Chaos dumped on besides Thomas.

It's a good thing the Sox are out of town. This kind of thing can't help the clubhouse atmosphere when your own boss is knocking you to other potential employers. :angry:

wait till frank sees this and talks to the press. ohhh it is going to be interesting reading when kw tries to justify what he said.

Viva Magglio
07-31-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan14
Come on, even Kenny isn't that stupid.

Yes, he is.

Cheryl
07-31-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

wait till frank sees this and talks to the press. ohhh it is going to be interesting reading when kw tries to justify what he said.

NO NO NO! Frank does not need to talk to the press. It gets him in trouble every time.

I wouldn't mind seeing him prove KW wrong--if that's what KW said.

delben91
07-31-2002, 09:48 AM

Didn't Frank state a few weeks ago that he was done talking to the press "for good" or something like that? Has he since gone back on that and actually supplied quotes to reporters? I'm not a local and thus only occasionally see stories from the chicago papers online, so it's entirely possible I missed such a quote.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-31-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Agree or disagree with KW, for him to tell other American League GM's that is totally unprofessional - especially if you are trying to convince a GM to take Thomas in a trade!

Go to "Trade tirade" (http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapoport/cst-spt-rap31.html)

Friggin brainiac! Guess that means that we're not trading him now.

TheBigHurt
07-31-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

Friggin brainiac! Guess that means that we're not trading him now.
yay big frank stays here for yet another season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:

voodoochile
07-31-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Wouldn't you think that if you're trying to make a trade, you're going to emphisize the player's strong points rather than tearing them down. What does he think that does to the value of what you're gonna get in return?

This has been a running problem for Sox front office personnel for as long as I can remember. They are constantly tearing down the players they are willing to trade in the press. Never did understand it, but it is a fact of life here on the southside...

voodoochile
07-31-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl

NO NO NO! Frank does not need to talk to the press. It gets him in trouble every time.

I wouldn't mind seeing him prove KW wrong--if that's what KW said.

Frank has been very quiet recently. After the big blowup a few weeks ago after the benching, Frank said he wouldn't talk to the press again ever. I was wondering if someone told him to **** and ignore the sportswriters who are constantly pushing his buttons. A good agent would have told Frank to never speak to the press again about a decade ago when he first started putting his foot in his mouth on a regular basis. Whoever has been handling Frank has done a lousy job of protecting him from bad situations where he might get in trouble by saying the wrong thing. Hopefully he will not blowup over KWA's mouthing off. Where is JR in this? Someone needs to tell KW to **** or GTFOOH...

guillen4life13
07-31-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Someone needs to tell KW to **** or GTFOOH...

ds, although, kw doesn't need to ****, because no one will care, or they will laugh if at what he says once he just GTFOOH! ***** voodoo you are great!

Dadawg_77
07-31-2002, 12:49 PM
You know the Yankees have always been able with the help of the New York media talk up people they are willing to let go. How many prospects have the yankees traded that have actually made it to the majors? have produced for major league teams? and have been great players in the majors? Yet the Sox, seem to always talk down the player we have, which depresses their trade value. You figure that some one would change that by now.

doublem23
07-31-2002, 12:52 PM
Yeesh, and we wonder why no one worth anything ever wants to come play for the Sox.

RKMeibalane
07-31-2002, 02:08 PM
:reinsy

"If you come to the park, I will tell Mr. Williams to ****. Otherwise, there is nothing I can do. I will not waste my valuable time by arguing with employees. It's bad for business. Besides, I don't want to see Frank Thomas retire in a White Sox uniform. He is the greatest player this organization has ever had. But he doesn't deserve to play for this first-class organziation. It is my hope that he will go into the Hall of Fame wearing a Boston Red Sox or Atlanta Braves cap. His career will follow a path similar to that a Carlton Fisk's. Why? Because you people don't deserve to watch Hall-of-Famers play everyday."

LongDistanceFan
07-31-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Someone needs to tell KW to **** or GTFOOH...

lmao
anymore acronym you can think off. :D:

nlentz88
07-31-2002, 02:38 PM
Well, maybe KW started trash talking Frank as some sort of subterfuge. I mean, most people who have watched the Sox over the years agree that trading Thomas this season would be a mistake. KW must know that. If Thomas were traded the team's public image would sink to the lowest it has been since 1919. So here's my off-the-wall theory:

1. Reinsdorf wants KW to trade everyone he can, including Thomas (maybe he just hates having All-Stars on his team, I don't know).

2. KW doesn't want to trade Thomas (for the reasons above or something else).

3. KW obliges Reinsdorf by making a couple calls, but in doing so he makes sure the other teams aren't interested in making the White Sox a great offer in exchange.

THEREFORE: If other teams don't make great offers for Thomas, KW can go back to Reinsdorf and show him that he tried to unload the Big Hurt, but still sleep safe knowing that Thomas will be on the roster next year.

OK, ok... so I'm stretching it and making lots of assumptions. It's hard not to make assumptions when dealing with a report like this, but I have to think the KW would not be stupid enough to bad mouth a player he is intent on trading. Then again he's only gotten a couple of minorleaguers for three of our All-Stars so far this season. I'd rather place the blame on "Mr. Cheap" Reinsdorf.

delben91
07-31-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by nlentz88
Well, maybe KW started trash talking Frank as some sort of subterfuge. I mean, most people who have watched the Sox over the years agree that trading Thomas this season would be a mistake. KW must know that. If Thomas were traded the team's public image would sink to the lowest it has been since 1919. So here's my off-the-wall theory:

1. Reinsdorf wants KW to trade everyone he can, including Thomas (maybe he just hates having All-Stars on his team, I don't know).

2. KW doesn't want to trade Thomas (for the reasons above or something else).

3. KW obliges Reinsdorf by making a couple calls, but in doing so he makes sure the other teams aren't interested in making the White Sox a great offer in exchange.

THEREFORE: If other teams don't make great offers for Thomas, KW can go back to Reinsdorf and show him that he tried to unload the Big Hurt, but still sleep safe knowing that Thomas will be on the roster next year.

OK, ok... so I'm stretching it and making lots of assumptions. It's hard not to make assumptions when dealing with a report like this, but I have to think the KW would not be stupid enough to bad mouth a player he is intent on trading. Then again he's only gotten a couple of minorleaguers for three of our All-Stars so far this season. I'd rather place the blame on "Mr. Cheap" Reinsdorf.

Interesting first post. We can only hope that KW's thought processes haven't deteriorated to the point of bad mouthing players he's truly trying to get something for in a trade. Welcome to WSI :gulp:

Cheryl
07-31-2002, 02:41 PM
...OK, ok... so I'm stretching it and making lots of assumptions. It's hard not to make assumptions when dealing with a report like this, but I have to think the KW would not be stupid enough to bad mouth a player he is intent on trading. Then again he's only gotten a couple of minorleaguers for three of our All-Stars so far this season. I'd rather place the blame on "Mr. Cheap" Reinsdorf.

Welcome to WSI! No one has made me laugh like that in a while.

Maybe you should come in out of the hot sun, it's making you delirious.

LongDistanceFan
07-31-2002, 02:44 PM
Then again he's only gotten a couple of minorleaguers for three of our All-Stars so far this season. I'd rather place the blame on "Mr. Cheap" Reinsdorf.

welcome
:gulp:

3 all-stars? who were they?

delben91
07-31-2002, 02:46 PM

welcome
:gulp:

3 all-stars? who were they?

Well, Alomar, and Durham were all on an all-star team at some point in their careers (and I'm pretty sure Lofton was too). Not current all-stars as their on field performance reflects (except maybe for Ray, but that's another debate). But one time all-stars.

RKMeibalane
07-31-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by delben91

Well, Alomar, and Durham were all on an all-star team at some point in their careers (and I'm pretty sure Lofton was too). Not current all-stars as their on field performance reflects (except maybe for Ray, but that's another debate). But one time all-stars.

That is correct. All three men have played on at least one All Star Team. Lofton has been named to teams in both leagues. He was selected to participate in the game several times while with Cleveland, and he was part of the 1997 NL team during his one season with Atlanta.

pudge
07-31-2002, 05:50 PM

I agree - this is the kind of horsecrap reporting that the media throws out there, making no sense with very little explanation. That column reads like something out of E-Online. Who knows what the real circumstances were, or what was really said. Basically, it's trash.