PDA

View Full Version : Petty and Gutless, Typical...

Lip Man 1
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Kudos to JR for chastising the other owners over this.

Amazing...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9070691/mlb-owners-want-abolish-pensions-personnel-sources-say

Lip

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Cheap JR strikes again!

Want to bet that the small-market owner mentioned is Loria?

chicagowhitesox1
03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm thinking Kansas City. Aren't they owned by the Wal-mart family?

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 03:28 PM
I'm thinking Kansas City. Aren't they owned by the Walmart family?

David Glass is the former President & CEO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Glass_(businessman)

doublem23
03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
I'm thinking Kansas City. Aren't they owned by the Walmart family?

No, they're owned by David Glass, former CEO of Walmart, but not a member of the Walton family.

russ99
03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Could be Phil Crane, who heavily leveraged his sale of the Astros and when asked if the Astros could add to payroll, he said, ďIt doesnít bother me that people want us to spend more money, But itís not their money. This is a private company, even though itís got a public flair to it. If they want to write a check for 10 million bucks, they can give me a call.Ē

Irishsox1
03-19-2013, 05:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with abolishing the outdated pension plan if the owners offer individual 401k investment plans. Give the employee the money now and the choice where to invest. Pensions are a thing of the past for retirement investment, except for government based jobs, private unions and the teachers unions.

I have a feeling Jerry is doing pretty well managing the Sox pension plan and doesn't want to go to the individual 401 k for money reasons that he doesn't like.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Irish:

You're assuming the owners will offer that. Sounds like from the story some of these p***** don't even want to do that for their employees.

Lip

DumpJerry
03-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Well, this will eviscerate Theo's vaunted scouting staff as they run off to real jobs......

WhiteSox5187
03-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Kudos for Jerry for chastising the other owners, given his loyalty I suspect he takes care of his scouts as well. Ironically, IF the owners vote to get rid of this plan but Jerry keeps the White Sox current plan in place it could wind up being very beneficial to the White Sox scouting department. It would make the White Sox are much more appealing team to be a scout for.

Irishsox1
03-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Irish:

You're assuming the owners will offer that. Sounds like from the story some of these p***** don't even want to do that for their employees.

Lip

If the MLB owners don't offer 401k plans to compensate for the pension plan, then some people will leave that industry and some will stay and that's that. There is nothing written in the law that says that if you work for a professional sports team that you're entitled to a pension or 401k plan. If that's what the free market dictates then that's what that free market dictates. However there are plenty of jobs out there that pay better than the pro franchises and offer better benefits.

If someone is offered a full time job with no benefits, they do not have to take that job and they do not have to stick with that job.

Lip Man 1
03-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Trying to tread lightly here. All I'll say is there are millions of folks in this country having to work jobs with little to no benefits. I've been there.

The problem is in fact, many, I'd say the majority DON'T have the choices that you are assuming they have. ESPECIALLY in this country at this time with this screwed up economy.

I have no issues with any company or business making a profit, none...they take the risks, they are entitled to a reward.

But when the pursuit of profit overtakes basic human needs and dignity, there's something wrong. Dead wrong with that attitude. They are not entitled to a limitless profit.

NO sports franchise that I know of is losing money. What is a fact as shown in the book The Lords of the Realm is that MLB teams (and I suspect other pro sports teams) have been cooking the books for years. These are smart, very smart business people...they aren't going to hang on to a money loser...that's not their way.

They can afford to pay loyal employees a pension. Period. ESPECIALLY in a business that Proud to be Your Bud crows about being worth eight BILLION dollars.

Lip

amsteel
03-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Businessmen be businessin'

asindc
03-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Trying to tread lightly here. All I'll say is there are millions of folks in this country having to work jobs with little to no benefits. I've been there.

The problem is in fact, many, I'd say the majority DON'T have the choices that you are assuming they have. ESPECIALLY in this country at this time with this screwed up economy.

I have no issues with any company or business making a profit, none...they take the risks, they are entitled to a reward.

But when the pursuit of profit overtakes basic human needs and dignity, there's something wrong. Dead wrong with that attitude. They are not entitled to a limitless profit.

NO sports franchise that I know of is losing money. What is a fact as shown in the book The Lords of the Realm is that MLB teams (and I suspect other pro sports teams) have been cooking the books for years. These are smart, very smart business people...they aren't going to hang on to a money loser...that's not their way.

They can afford to pay loyal employees a pension. Period. ESPECIALLY in a business that Proud to be Your Bud crows about being worth eight BILLION dollars.

Lip

Agree 100%, especially since it is quite obvious.

DSpivack
03-20-2013, 08:53 PM

Lip

Agree 100%, especially since it is quite obvious.

Yeah, fantastic post.

SCCWS
03-20-2013, 09:58 PM
I saw a great story today. CVS is headquartered in Rhode Island. The Governor of RI is attempting to end a sweetheart deal CVS has by only paying 1/2 the corporate tax rate other businesses pay in the state. CVS said if they lose the deal, they will move jobs out of Rhode Island. Then it was disclosed that their CEO's salary jumped from $12 to $18 million last year. Corporate greed at it's finest.

Railsplitter
03-20-2013, 10:18 PM
I saw a great story today. CVS is headquartered in Rhode Island. The Governor of RI is attempting to end a sweetheart deal CVS has by only paying 1/2 the corporate tax rate other businesses pay in the state. CVS said if they lose the deal, they will move jobs out of Rhode Island. Then it was disclosed that their CEO's salary jumped from $12 to $18 million last year. Corporate greed at it's finest.

I think of it as human greed

Risk
03-21-2013, 09:34 AM

Lip

+1.

Risk

SI1020
03-21-2013, 10:45 AM
I saw a great story today. CVS is headquartered in Rhode Island. The Governor of RI is attempting to end a sweetheart deal CVS has by only paying 1/2 the corporate tax rate other businesses pay in the state. CVS said if they lose the deal, they will move jobs out of Rhode Island. Then it was disclosed that their CEO's salary jumped from $12 to $18 million last year. Corporate greed at it's finest. This is one of the worst business trends in my lifetime and I will stop right there.

TheVulture
03-23-2013, 03:07 PM
I really thought Reinsdorf was a bastard back in '94. He's redeemed himself 100% in my eyes over the last 20 years.