PDA

View Full Version : Morel optioned to AAA

DumpJerry
03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Per David Schuster.

#1swisher
03-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Sox optioned RHP Deunte Heath & INF Brent Morel to Triple-A Charlotte; LHP Moskos, INF C. Sanchez & RHP Stewart reassigned to minor-league camp.
Hahn: Need for Morel to get at-bats at the Triple-A level, now that he's fully healthy.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/03/19/morel-stewart-among-white-sox-cuts/

thomas35forever
03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Major bummer for him, but not unexpected. Maybe he can come back as a more versatile player off the bench.

DumpJerry
03-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Major bummer for him, but not unexpected. Maybe he can come back as a more versatile player off the bench.
Or improve his trade value.

doublem23
03-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Or, hopefully, we can close this depressing chapter in White Sox history and never speak of him ever again

kittle42
03-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Well, any step up from zero is an improvement.

RKMeibalane
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM

I see what you did there. :cool:

PalehosePlanet
03-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Or, hopefully, we can close this depressing chapter in White Sox history and never speak of him ever again

Agreed. You can toss him in the Chris Snopek/Greg Norton/Josh Fields scrapheap of ****ty 3B's we've had in the last 15 years.

Foulke You
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
I still have nightmares of him coming to the plate with runners in scoring position last April and May. It seemed like the game found him every time.

TDog
03-19-2013, 03:08 PM

My feeling was that if Morel were to be a utility infielder who could serve as a true backup shortstop, as opposed to someone who could play shortstop in a pinch, he would be going back to AAA. At the same time, I belived that developing Morel into a utility infielder would increase his trade value, whatever that might be, and expect that the White Sox would option him with an eye to developing a utility infielder or a more attractive piece in a trade.

I pretty much expected this move when the Sox traded for Gillaspie after picking up Keppinger. It looks like the Sox are going to give Gillaspie his first real shot as an everyday player in the majors (similar to the opportunity Morel had coming into last season), but earlier this offseason it looked to me like Keppinger was going to replace Morel.

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
My feeling was that if Morel were to be a utility infielder who could serve as a true backup shortstop, as opposed to someone who could play shortstop in a pinch, he would be going back to AAA. At the same time, I belived that developing Morel into a utility infielder would increase his trade value, whatever that might be, and expect that the White Sox would option him with an eye to developing a utility infielder or a more attractive piece in a trade.

I pretty much expected this move when the Sox traded for Gillaspie after picking up Keppinger. It looks like the Sox are going to give Gillaspie his first real shot as an everyday player in the majors (similar to the opportunity Morel had coming into last season), but earlier this offseason it looked to me like Keppinger was going to replace Morel.
When acquired, I imagined Gillespie to be a backup 1B/3B. He seems like the starter now only because Keppinger appears to be injured and possibly not ready to start the season.

Chez
03-19-2013, 03:36 PM
So Angel Sanchez gets the other back-up infielder spot?

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 03:38 PM

As Carlos Sanchez was sent down, probably?

Irishsox1
03-19-2013, 04:01 PM
I still have nightmares of him coming to the plate with runners in scoring position last April and May. It seemed like the game found him every time.

I know what you mean by the game finding the weak link. Same thing with Brian Anderson in 2006. In the first 3 months of that year, it seemed like every time the Sox got the bases loaded, Anderson came up to bat and couldn't produce.

forrestg
03-19-2013, 04:11 PM
he's our best ss/2b replacement i hope that kid can play.

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 04:15 PM

He's a journeyman AAAA guy who will turn 30 at the end of the season. Nothing but filler.

kittle42
03-19-2013, 04:47 PM

He's organizational depth.

Domeshot17
03-19-2013, 04:52 PM
If Connor keeps hitting, we may end up seeing Kepp at 2b, Connor at 3b and Gordon as the Utility, which might be our best option.

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 04:55 PM
If Connor keeps hitting, we may end up seeing Kepp at 2b, Connor at 3b and Gordon as the Utility, which might be our best option.

Benching Beckham would seem to doom him to that fate for good. I'd rather see if he can be the player he was, and if not move on next offseason.

Golden Sox
03-19-2013, 04:57 PM
If Gillaspie keeps hitting and then starts at third base, Keppinger will move to 2nd base. Beckham will then be traded sometime around Opening Day. The White Sox are not going to pay $2 million dollars to Beckham to ride the bench.

Foulke You
03-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Benching Beckham would seem to doom him to that fate for good. I'd rather see if he can be the player he was, and if not move on next offseason.
The Sox will have a tough decision to make if Keppinger can't play 3B and Gillaspie immediately starts raking the ball. Keppinger was signed for 3 years at a decent salary and I don't see him being used as a bench player. Not for the years and dollars they have invested in him. Beckham has always been viewed as a starter by the organization but it will be interesting to see if they stick with him if he starts off slow again. The team might have options now at 2B and patience can probably only go so far especially if the team finds itself battling it out with Detroit for the division again. Robin keeps saying that Keppinger will be ready to go on Opening Day so if that is the case, I expect to see him out there at 3B, Beckham at 2B, and Gillaspie on the bench. However, I'm sure Robin will get Conor some playing time considering how light we are in the left handed hitting dept this year.

PalehosePlanet
03-19-2013, 05:30 PM

I would rotate the three players at the two positions for a while. If anyone gets hot, he stays in the lineup until he cools off.

My guess is that Beckham will be the player with the least consistency and will eventually be relegated to the bench. I like Keppinger better at 2B than at 3B anyway.

(Gordon I hope you're reading this and that you prove me full of ****!)

Chez
03-19-2013, 08:00 PM

Is it wrong to pine for Eduardo Escobar? :smile:

slavko
03-19-2013, 10:48 PM

Five Year Plans didn't work for Stalin or the Cubs. Maybe they'll work for Beckham.

WhiteSox5187
03-19-2013, 10:57 PM

The Sox will have a tough decision to make if Keppinger can't play 3B and Gillaspie immediately starts raking the ball. Keppinger was signed for 3 years at a decent salary and I don't see him being used as a bench player. Not for the years and dollars they have invested in him. Beckham has always been viewed as a starter by the organization but it will be interesting to see if they stick with him if he starts off slow again. The team might have options now at 2B and patience can probably only go so far especially if the team finds itself battling it out with Detroit for the division again. Robin keeps saying that Keppinger will be ready to go on Opening Day so if that is the case, I expect to see him out there at 3B, Beckham at 2B, and Gillaspie on the bench. However, I'm sure Robin will get Conor some playing time considering how light we are in the left handed hitting dept this year.

I love Gordon, but he has to be on a short leash right now. He needs to start demonstrating he can hit the ball with consistency or we need to start looking at other options. I will say that I thought towards the end of the year he was hitting the ball with more authority and using all fields more, though the results were not necessarily there.

doublem23
03-20-2013, 12:00 AM

That's what I was going to hope for, as well, but I'll wait to see if Conor can hit some real pitching first. But that would be a nice solution to a lot of problems.

Tragg
03-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Agree.
Plus Keppinger in place of Beckham seriously deteriorates our defense - not a good idea when we will depend on run prevention to win games.

amsteel
03-20-2013, 02:21 AM
Better now than after an 0-for-April

kittle42
03-20-2013, 01:04 PM
The White Sox are not going to pay $2 million dollars to Beckham to ride the bench.

$2 million isn't much these days.

DickAllen72
03-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Yes.

Wedema
03-22-2013, 09:12 AM
$2 million isn't much these days.

Right, it is similar to the $1.75M that the Sox paid Omar Vizquel to be the utility infielder.