PDA

View Full Version : Something to keep an eye on for the Sox/Orioles game on September 5

doublem23
03-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Sox and Orioles are scheduled to play a night game on Thursday, September 5th, but the NFL is trying to pressure the O's to reschedule so it does not interfere with the likely home opener for the Ravens...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/19/mlb-willing-to-give-up-significant-concessions-to-get-a-worldwide-draft/#/2013/03/19/the-nfl-wants-the-orioles-to-reschedule-a-game-to-accommodate-the-ravens-season-opener/

SephClone89
03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
The NFL expects everyone to accommodate them? Why, I never!

sox1970
03-19-2013, 09:48 AM
The one thing that isn't going to happen is a doubleheader later in the series. That's the worst option for both teams.

Jerko
03-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Tough ****; it's not like the Ravens play in Camden Yards. We've had prime time Bears games with the Cubs or Sox in town.

sox1970
03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Tough ****; it's not like the Ravens play in Camden Yards. We've had prime time Bears games with the Cubs or Sox in town.

They share parking. They cannot play at the same time. That's not an option.

moochpuppy
03-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Make it a day game with a noon start. Seems simple enough.

doublem23
03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Make it a day game with a noon start. Seems simple enough.

Unlikely the union would allow that change as both teams have to play night games elsewhere Wednesday and then fly into Baltimore

jdm2662
03-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Unlikely the union would allow that change as both teams have to play night games elsewhere Wednesday and then fly into Baltimore

Yep. At first, I thought it was the last game of a four game series. BALT has a history of not scheduling a day game on getaway day. since it isn't, I would tell the NFL tough ****. Then, after repeating the response, make them up their ante. Then, you think about it. sounds like good business to me.

sox1970
03-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Yep. At first, I thought it was the last game of a four game series. BALT has a history of not scheduling a day game on getaway day. since it isn't, I would tell the NFL tough ****. Then, after repeating the response, make them up their ante. Then, you think about it. sounds like good business to me.

If the NFL can't go without the Ravens opening the season that night, they're going to have to make it worth it to the Orioles and White Sox- meaning compensating them for the TV/radio revenue lost by going to a day game.

They'll figure it out.

DumpJerry
03-19-2013, 11:15 AM
The O's can simply forfeit the game to us.

Seriously, these Thursday night NFL games are a crock of ****. The players aren't ready for them, the coaching staffs can't get all their prep time in and the it's a school night for the fans.....

thomas35forever
03-19-2013, 11:59 AM
The NFL should mind its own business. Boo hoo if another sport is competing at the same time. Under that logic, the Dodgers shouldn't have even played the night the Kings won the Stanley Cup last year.

doublem23
03-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Seriously, these Thursday night NFL games are a crock of ****. The players aren't ready for them, the coaching staffs can't get all their prep time in and the it's a school night for the fans.....

I think six months of prep time will be sufficient

If the NFL can't go without the Ravens opening the season that night, they're going to have to make it worth it to the Orioles and White Sox- meaning compensating them for the TV/radio revenue lost by going to a day game.

They'll figure it out.

I would think the most likely outcome is the NFL tosses the Orioles some cash and we end up with a doubleheader sometime later that series (Saturday, most likely).

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
The NFL should mind its own business. Boo hoo if another sport is competing at the same time. Under that logic, the Dodgers shouldn't have even played the night the Kings won the Stanley Cup last year.

I would agree with you, except the stadiums sit side by side, share a parking lot, and thus both teams can't play at the same time. Chavez Ravine might be close to downtown and the Staples Center, but not enough to cause a problem like it does in Baltimore.

Tree Hate Me
03-19-2013, 12:19 PM
The NFL could just schedule their opening night for Wednesday night instead of Thursday. They did that last fall for the Cowboys/Giants game so as not to go against the President speaking at the DNC in Charlotte.

If they push for a Saturday doubleheader and that gets rained out and played on Sunday the problem is the two clubs don't share any common days off for the rest of the year to make up one more game.

doublem23
03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
The NFL could just schedule their opening night for Wednesday night instead of Thursday. They did that last fall for the Cowboys/Giants game so as not to go against the President speaking at the DNC in Charlotte.

Rosh Hashanah

sox1970
03-19-2013, 12:31 PM
I would think the most likely outcome is the NFL tosses the Orioles some cash and we end up with a doubleheader sometime later that series (Saturday, most likely).

Least likely. There's no way the Orioles or Sox will sign off on a doubleheader and throw off their pitching rotations in September right before the Sox have a series with the Tigers.

3 options:

1) Ravens play Wednesday, even though they don't want to.
2) Ravens give up, and they just don't play at home--or at least not until Sunday.
3) Ravens compensate the Sox and Orioles, and the baseball game is played during the day.

Gut feeling--the Sox and O's will end up playing during the day.

Tree Hate Me
03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Rosh Hashanah

I know Steve Stone usually takes RH off, but isn't Yom Kippur the big day where Jewish athletes prefer not to play?

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
I know Steve Stone usually takes RH off, but isn't Yom Kippur the big day where Jewish athletes prefer not to play?

Both are big holidays, they're called the High Holy Days for a reason.

But it's not just about the athletes; fans, TV, ownership, and more. The NFL isn't going to open their season on a major religious holiday (they already are, but the start of Rosh Hashanah is more important than the start of the 2nd day of it).

DumpJerry
03-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Make it a Sox road game in Chicago.

Jerko
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
My bad, didn't realize they shared parking. I like the "making it a road game at The Cell" option.

StillMissOzzie
03-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Here's an idea - move the game to the Nationals' park in DC. Short bus ride for the O's a d Sox, the O's don't lose a home game nor a home crowd, and the nasty Nats are not only on the road from 9/2 - 9/12, they have no game at all on 9/5, I think the NFL could make it rain enough to get all interested parties on board.

SMO

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Here's an idea - move the game to the Nationals' park in DC. Short bus ride for the O's a d Sox, the O's don't lose a home game nor a home crowd, and the nasty Nats are not only on the road from 9/2 - 9/12, they have no game at all on 9/5, I think the NFL could make it rain enough to get all interested parties on board.

SMO

Not a bad idea, but Angelos and the Lerners don't get along well, I don't see that happening.

vinny
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
http://deadspin.com/for-once-baseball-has-the-nfl-by-the-short-hairs-456535617

gf2020
03-19-2013, 03:34 PM
I will be furious if the White Sox get rolled over here right before a big series with the Tigers. Everyone in the media is acting like this is just about the Orioles and revenue and ignoring competitive balance.

Why should the White Sox be the only team in baseball to play a day road game after a night road game this season all to convenience a team in another sport, especially when it is against the rules of the league? I don't care if it is a minor blip in the grand scheme of this season. It's still a minor blip no other team will have to face.

jmeneghini1433
03-19-2013, 05:00 PM
The Sox once finished an incomplete game in Baltimore after it was originally a home game in 2008. The Sox ended up losing.

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 05:07 PM
The Sox once finished an incomplete game in Baltimore after it was originally a home game in 2008. The Sox ended up losing.

IIRC, the incomplete game was from their first trip to Baltimore in April, and the return trip was late in the summer (August?). I recall Jenks blowing a save there. At least I got a free Club Level tickets walking in to the park from some O's fans who had an extra.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2013, 05:08 PM
GF:

Same reasons the Sox are usually so pissed at the schedule makers, it's the Sox, nobody cares right?

I agree, the Sox should say **** you to the O's and the NFL if that happens. They have rights too, simply refuse to agree to this.

Lip

DSpivack
03-19-2013, 05:17 PM
GF:

Same reasons the Sox are usually so pissed at the schedule makers, it's the Sox, nobody cares right?

I agree, the Sox should say **** you to the O's and the NFL if that happens. They have rights too, simply refuse to agree to this.

Lip

Why **** you to the O's? They also have a night game elsewhere the night before, it would also violate union rules for them, too. The Orioles want to play a day game after a road night game as much as the Sox do.

sox1970
03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
They should just treat it as if the Orioles and Ravens play in the same stadium. The Orioles have a game that day, so the Ravens can't play that day. Period. Now if the Ravens want to overpay the O's and Sox to move the start time, I think there's a price for everything.

I also think a lot of it has to do with it being a Thursday. MLB probably feels like the NFL already poaches fans on Sunday's and Monday's. These season long Thursday night games aren't good for MLB, so why help them?

jmeneghini1433
03-19-2013, 05:29 PM
IIRC, the incomplete game was from their first trip to Baltimore in April, and the return trip was late in the summer (August?). I recall Jenks blowing a save there. At least I got a free Club Level tickets walking in to the park from some O's fans who had an extra.

No, the game was a home game in April and they finished it while on a road trip to Baltimore in September. April 28, 2008.

Huisj
03-19-2013, 06:59 PM
The Sox and O's should both say "screw you, we were here first" to the NFL.

Lip Man 1
03-20-2013, 10:14 AM
Spivak:

It's a **** you to the O's because in 2008 they refused to come back to Chicago to play the suspended game and the Sox had to finish it there. Much like the Rangers did it to the Sox in August 1990. And you had the Royals refusing to cancel an obvious game that should never have been started in 2010, forcing the Sox to play. It went one inning was postponed and they had to play a DH the next day which taxed the Sox staff.

It's time the Sox stopped being someone else's whipping boy and started asserting their rights.

Lip

jdm2662
03-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Spivak:

It's a **** you to the O's because in 2008 they refused to come back to Chicago to play the suspended game and the Sox had to finish it there. Much like the Rangers did it to the Sox in August 1990. And you had the Royals refusing to cancel an obvious game that should never have been started in 2010, forcing the Sox to play. It went one inning was postponed and they had to play a DH the next day which taxed the Sox staff.

It's time the Sox stopped being someone else's whipping boy and started asserting their rights.

Lip

On a team's last trip to a particular city, the call is strictly the umpires. Joe West is to blame for that one. He was flat out told there was no way the game could be played, but he started it anyway.

SoxNation05
03-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Reschedule it for July 1st and the Sox get to add a home game! :D:

I mean it could work as it is the Monday before the O's and Sox 3 game series at the Comiskey and both teams already have the day off. June 30th is a Sunday and day games for both teams. However, the O's losing that off day would lead to a string of 24 straight games to end the first half. Not likely obviously, but something has to give...

sox1970
03-20-2013, 11:37 AM
This is good...

http://wnst.net/top-story/crabs-n-beer/please-baltimore-dont-let-the-nfl-and-the-ravens-turn-you-on-the-orioles/

The more I read about this, I hope the O's/Sox/MLB just stand firm and not change the game time.

sox1970
03-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Orioles released a statement saying the time of the game will not be changed.

Good.

SephClone89
03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Orioles released a statement saying the time of the game will not be changed.

Good.

From the Baldimoor Sun...

Ravens to open the season on the road. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-and-orioles-cant-compromise-and-ravens-will-open-on-road-20130322,0,1216021.story)

Awesome. :bandance:

Jerko
03-22-2013, 02:40 PM
No, the game was a home game in April and they finished it while on a road trip to Baltimore in September. April 28, 2008.

That was a ****ed up game. Wasn't pouring, but the game started like 2 hours late. When it did start, the rain was coming down at the same pace as it had been the entire day. Start it on time and maybe the field holds up (though IIRC it was the infield that finally became unplayable).

Jerko
03-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Wasn't there some snafu in Minny a few years back? Sox game wound up not being on tv because of a college football game?

DSpivack
03-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Wasn't there some snafu in Minny a few years back? Sox game wound up not being on tv because of a college football game?

I want to say that happened a couple times in Minneapolis in September, and involved the TV rights Fox had to early saturday games, as well as having to start a game at 11am because the Gophers football team was playing not long after the baseball game was scheduled to end.

central44
03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
I might be the only one who feels this way, but I don't like this at all. The Ravens just won the Super Bowl and earned the right to open the NFL season at home, which is a tradition reserved for the champions. Its not like this happens all the time.

If i'm the Orioles, I work something out with them even though I have the right to play at that time. Maybe it's a bit of an inconvenience, but it's the classy thing to do. A regular season game is obviously not as significant as the ring ceremony and everything it would represent for the Ravens, and I would hope that if the roles were ever reversed I would get the same treatment.

**Edit** I just read that article. It looks like the Orioles genuinley tried to accomodate the Ravens and it just didnt work. I retract my statement :smile:

DSpivack
03-22-2013, 03:38 PM
With the Ravens traveling instead of hosting a game, the opener that night might be at... Soldier Field.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-could-kick-off-season-with-ravens-20130322,0,7762626.story

sox1970
03-22-2013, 03:46 PM
With the Ravens traveling instead of hosting a game, the opener that night might be at... Soldier Field.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-could-kick-off-season-with-ravens-20130322,0,7762626.story

Yeah, I could see Roger Goodell doing that in response to the Orioles/Sox situation.

I'll still watch the Sox.

TDog
03-22-2013, 06:46 PM
The O's can simply forfeit the game to us.

That was my reflex reaction as well.

It looks like the Orioles had the game scheduled before the NFL decided they needed the parking lot that night. It would seem it is up to the NFL to play the game in a stadium adjacent to an available parking lot or play it at a time when the parking lot is available.

asindc
03-22-2013, 06:54 PM
That was my reflex reaction as well.

It looks like the Orioles had the game scheduled before the NFL decided they needed the parking lot that night. It would seem it is up to the NFL to play the game in a stadium adjacent to an available parking lot or play it at a time when the parking lot is available.

There is no practical way the two stadiums could host events at the same time. The NFL simply dropped the ball here. I don't blame MLB one bit for not budging.

gf2020
03-22-2013, 11:59 PM
I might be the only one who feels this way, but I don't like this at all. The Ravens just won the Super Bowl and earned the right to open the NFL season at home, which is a tradition reserved for the champions. Its not like this happens all the time.

If i'm the Orioles, I work something out with them even though I have the right to play at that time. Maybe it's a bit of an inconvenience, but it's the classy thing to do. A regular season game is obviously not as significant as the ring ceremony and everything it would represent for the Ravens, and I would hope that if the roles were ever reversed I would get the same treatment.

**Edit** I just read that article. It looks like the Orioles genuinley tried to accomodate the Ravens and it just didnt work. I retract my statement :smile:
I dont see how any Sox fan would want them to have even the slightest inconvenience
and competitive disadvantage because of tradition and fairness to another team in a different sport in another city. It wasn't just an Orioles issue. The White Sox had important rights here.

Railsplitter
03-23-2013, 07:54 AM

This "tradition" of the Super Bowl champion opening the season at home is barely ten years old. After the Giants won Super Bowl XXI, they opened with a Monday Night game in Chicago.

asindc
03-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Which has nothing to do with the Sox- Os game.

amsteel
03-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Roger Goodell is working on a weather altering satellite dish right now, just to spite MLB.

DSpivack
03-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Roger Goodell is working on a weather altering satellite dish right now, just to spite MLB.

Too late, MLB is already ahead of him there:

http://www.sportingbreakdown.com/image/sports/small/1212/mark-mcgwire-simpsons-quote-dingers-baseball-mlb-sports-1355019699.jpg

TDog
03-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Why should baseball care about the NFL demanding to schedule a game for a time and place that has long been unavailable?

Last fall, the NFL threatened to fine the San Francisco football coach for wearing a San Francisco baseball cap in support of the city while the giants were making a championship run. The NFL has come off as being arrogant in this situation.

SephClone89
03-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Why should baseball care about the NFL demanding to schedule a game for a time and place that has long been unavailable?

Last fall, the NFL threatened to fine the San Francisco football coach for wearing a San Francisco baseball cap in support of the city while the giants were making a championship run. The NFL has come off as being arrogant in this situation.

I only casually follow the NFL, but I think it was then-quarterback Alex Smith, actually.

SOXPHILE
03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
I have a novel idea. How about eliminating the whole stupid "tradition" of the NFL kicking off the season on a Thursday night, and having the opening games all be on Sunday ! (Except for the Monday night game).

mrfourni
03-28-2013, 03:20 PM
I have a novel idea. How about eliminating the whole stupid "tradition" of the NFL kicking off the season on a Thursday night, and having the opening games all be on Sunday ! (Except for the Monday night game).

Sox are scheduled to play baltimore at 1:30 et. The NFL would still need the o's to reschedule.

anewman35
03-28-2013, 04:37 PM

Sure. How about you convince the owners to give up the extra money they make doing it this way?

vinny
04-18-2013, 09:20 PM
The NFL caved. Ravens open on the road.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/19/sports/football/nfl-reveals-schedule-with-a-test-for-the-ravens.html?_r=0