PDA

View Full Version : Tigers release Boesch

SephClone89
03-13-2013, 09:40 AM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/tigers-release-brennan-boesch-save-1-9-million/

Man, when that guy first came up I thought he was going to be something.

Manto'll fix 'im?

Chez
03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
No Boesch. No Raburn. Two Sox killers off the Tigers' roster (though Raburn's with Cleveland now).

Foulke You
03-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Interesting move. Being a youngish left handed power threat, I'm sure Boesch won't have to wait long to find a job. Tigers must feel that Quintin Berry is ready to assume that lefty outfielder role. Berry's over the top antics are almost as annoying as Carlos Gomez. I sure am happy we get to see more of him. I thought Boesch was going to be a stud too when he was first called up. It shows you how hard sustained success in this league is. Makes you really appreciate what guys like Paulie have done in their careers over such a long period of time. Boesch is still young enough to figure it out though but he is entering that "now or never" Gordon Beckham-ish territory. It always seemed like Boesch came up with a big HR against the Sox when he played. 8 of his career 42 HRs came against us. I won't miss seeing him come up to the plate.

SoxNation05
03-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Not that I want the Sox to sign Boesch, but us signing Wise at the fourth outfielder to start the offseason stil pisses me off. We have seen so many better options become available and our bench is crippled because we invested in Wise without looking at other options.

RCWHITESOX
03-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Not that I want the Sox to sign Boesch, but us signing Wise at the fourth outfielder to start the offseason stil pisses me off. We have seen so many better options become available and our bench is crippled because we invested in Wise without looking at other options.

The Sox should sign him and send Danks down. I still think he can be a very good player.

Foulke You
03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Is Wise really that bad as a bench player? He has plus defensive skills, plays all three outfield positions, provides a little bit of pop, and has plus speed on the basepaths which also gives him value as a pinch runner late in games. Wise certainly is not an all star nor is he a guy I want playing every day but for the backup role the Sox have assigned him, he seems to fit the bill pretty well.

ChiSoxFann
03-13-2013, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't mind adding Boesch and dumping Wise or Danks, but I'm sure there will be a few teams looking at him and I don't see it happening.

The only reason I'm not a fan of Wise is whether it was Ozzie in years past or Robin last year the guy always seems to get too much playing time. I don't mine him as a bench guy, but he seems to find his way into the starting line up quite a bit when he's here. Somebody in the organization is in love with Wise and I can't understand why.

SoxNation05
03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Is Wise really that bad as a bench player? He has plus defensive skills, plays all three outfield positions, provides a little bit of pop, and has plus speed on the basepaths which also gives him value as a pinch runner late in games. Wise certainly is not an all star nor is he a guy I want playing every day but for the backup role the Sox have assigned him, he seems to fit the bill pretty well.

His .228/.264 line is what upsets me. I guess you are right when you say he provides little pop, just very, very little pop.

That and the fact there is many better options and compared to other team's 4th outfielders he is in the bottom half of the league.

mzh
03-13-2013, 07:38 PM
DeWayne Wise should be burned at the stake.

Wedema
03-13-2013, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't mind adding Boesch and dumping Wise or Danks, but I'm sure there will be a few teams looking at him and I don't see it happening.

The only reason I'm not a fan of Wise is whether it was Ozzie in years past or Robin last year the guy always seems to get too much playing time. I don't mine him as a bench guy, but he seems to find his way into the starting line up quite a bit when he's here. Somebody in the organization is in love with Wise and I can't understand why.

Maybe it is because of The Catch.

Oblong
03-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Interesting move. Being a youngish left handed power threat, I'm sure Boesch won't have to wait long to find a job. Tigers must feel that Quintin Berry is ready to assume that lefty outfielder role. Berry's over the top antics are almost as annoying as Carlos Gomez. I sure am happy we get to see more of him. I thought Boesch was going to be a stud too when he was first called up. It shows you how hard sustained success in this league is. Makes you really appreciate what guys like Paulie have done in their careers over such a long period of time. Boesch is still young enough to figure it out though but he is entering that "now or never" Gordon Beckham-ish territory. It always seemed like Boesch came up with a big HR against the Sox when he played. 8 of his career 42 HRs came against us. I won't miss seeing him come up to the plate.

Boesch was a longshot to make the team to begin with, and Berry's one as well. The primary LF will be Andy Dirks. If he's hurt or stinks it up then look for Avisail Garcia or perhaps #1 prospect Nick Castellanos to get the at bats. I suspect Don Kelly and Jeff Kobernus along with Ramon Santiago will fill out the bench.

Foulke You
03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Boesch was a longshot to make the team to begin with, and Berry's one as well. The primary LF will be Andy Dirks. If he's hurt or stinks it up then look for Avisail Garcia or perhaps #1 prospect Nick Castellanos to get the at bats. I suspect Don Kelly and Jeff Kobernus along with Ramon Santiago will fill out the bench.
Completely forgot about Dirks for some reason. Yeah, I guess that would make Berry more of a long shot to make the team and made Boesch expendable.

Foulke You
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
His .228/.264 line is what upsets me. I guess you are right when you say he provides little pop, just very, very little pop.

He hit 8HRs last year as a mostly reserve player. How many HRs would you like out of your 4th outfielder? 30? :?:

russ99
03-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Wise is a capable bench outfielder, and he gets playing time because you can't run the same 3 outfielders out all season, like Robin seemed to do last year until they started to break down in August.

No complaints there, it's the rest of the bench that's really sub-par. With an unlimited budget, I'd really prefer a better overall hitter in the 1st reserve OF spot, pushing Wise down a spot.

XplodingScorbord
03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
The Chicago White Sox bench should be populated by .300/30HR/30 steals guys, and until it is so, I shan't be happy.

SoxNation05
03-14-2013, 08:54 PM
He hit 8HRs last year as a mostly reserve player. How many HRs would you like out of your 4th outfielder? 30? :?:

Yeah, so you are only considering his career best season at age 34? A season where he got on base at a .293 clip. Yessh. Oh and his career OBP is .264.

I do respect the hell out the guy for what he's done and how hard he had to work to finally become a MLB player. That being said, I would prefer him to be someone else's feel good story now and in his spot another OF with some pop. Nothing crazy, preferably a LH handed hitter who could step in at the #6 to split up all the righties and actually be a viable pinch hit candidate. I don't think DeWayne is that guy, and him being on the roster blocked any of that type of transaction from happening.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Yeah, so you are only considering his career best season at age 34? A season where he got on base at a .293 clip. Yessh. Oh and his career OBP is .264.

I do respect the hell out the guy for what he's done and how hard he had to work to finally become a MLB player. That being said, I would prefer him to be someone else's feel good story now and in his spot another OF with some pop. Nothing crazy, preferably a LH handed hitter who could step in at the #6 to split up all the righties and actually be a viable pinch hit candidate. I don't think DeWayne is that guy, and him being on the roster blocked any of that type of transaction from happening.

Who would you prefer? Enlighten us. I think Wise has been great when used in small doses. The problem is when we lose an OF to injury and he fills in. But I'm just tired of seeing everyone rag on him for something he has no control over (playing time).