PDA

View Full Version : Thank Goodness


kermittheefrog
07-30-2002, 11:31 PM
Manuel benched Clayton. He made the right move. WTG Jerry! Go out on a positive note before we fire you!

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Manuel benched Clayton. He made the right move. WTG Jerry! Go out on a positive note before we fire you! Yeah, bench Clayton the first game after he has a really good game. That's a good message to send.

Valentin goes 0 for 4 (he's now hitting .237 to Royce's .238,) and on the first grounder hit to him, his throw is a short hop that Paulie was able to dig out.

Yeah, it's a genius move.

hold2dibber
07-31-2002, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Yeah, bench Clayton the first game after he has a really good game. That's a good message to send.

Valentin goes 0 for 4 (he's now hitting .237 to Royce's .238,) and on the first grounder hit to him, his throw is a short hop that Paulie was able to dig out.

Yeah, it's a genius move.

C'mon now, Nellie. Just comparing their averages is misleading -- Valentin has 14 HRs to Clayton's 6, 50 RBI's to Clayton's 33, and a .729 OPS to Clayton's .639. There is no question that Valentinis a bigger contributor offensively. Plus, and perhaps most importantly, Clayton is gone after this year and Jose is still under contract. He (Jose) is almost certainly going to be the Sox starting SS next year. So why not spend the last 55 games of the year getting him re-acclimated to SS instead of wasting playing time on a guy who is on his way out the door?

Nellie_Fox
08-01-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
He (Jose) is almost certainly going to be the Sox starting SS next year. I don't know if I can take another year of watching him boot grounders hit right at him or throwing balls into the dirt at first. I don't care if the shortstop hits home runs!

My point was that Royce has been hitting very well of late, and is clearly the better defensive shortstop. He is just coming off one of the best games he's played all year, and rather than play the hot hand, he gets sat for a couple of days, and it is celebrated on here.

I know a lot of you guys think that Valentin will again put up the kind of numbers he did in 2000. Since that's the only year in his career that he has produced like that, I'm not convinced. I think he has returned to his normal career production, and that's what we are going to see next year.

Please note that Manos is now 0 for 7 the last two nights. If that was Royce, you'd be going nuts. Manos is now hitting .235.