PDA

View Full Version : Morel At Short...

Lip Man 1
02-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Never thought of this but Robin put him out there in the 5th inning today.

That is a brilliant move. If Morel can handle the position (he played it in high school and his first year in college) he can become the backup infielder. He can provide some pop off the bench and the Sox don't have to put up with Angel Sanchez.

Bravo Robin!

Lip

Noneck
03-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Or if he could play 2nd, then beckham could play ss when ramirez sits.

TDog
03-01-2013, 01:58 AM
It could mean that Ventura considers spring exhibition games meaningless, meaningless enough to put two third basemen in the game at the same time. It could be a recognition that stuff happens during a long baseball season. There was a game in 1994 when Ventura had to move over to short in an emergency, without great success. It's possible that Ventura appreciates the value of playing players out of position in meaningless games.

Morel played a few games at shortstop for Charlotte in 2010, but I don't believe playing short in a spring training game means he is being groomed as a backup shortstop. I would be very surprised and rather disappointed if Sanchez doesn't make the team in favor of Morel backing up short.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Who can forget when we had Jermaine Dye man shortstop?

kevingrt
03-01-2013, 07:08 AM

Chris Widger at 3B right?

Harry Potter
03-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Chris Widger at 3B right?

I remember that game well. Crede started at SS and Widger at 3B. When Crede got ejected (HP umpire Wendlestedt said Crede did not make an attempt to get out of the way when HBP), Timo entered the game in RF and Dye moved from RF to SS

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK200504270.shtml

doublem23
03-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Anyone who reads anything into what happens in any game that takes place in February is insane

amsteel
03-01-2013, 08:36 AM
He probably drives a car to the park everyday, but that doesn't mean he should enter the Indy 500.

delben91
03-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Anyone who reads anything into what happens in any game that takes place in February is insane

Well, yeah, but now it's March...so if Morel plays SS today we can totally read a lot into it right??????

#1swisher
03-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Mark Gonzales
More on Sox's look at Morel at SS, roster options: http://trib.in/XJFoZ7 (http://t.co/nAKMbwKwaf)

Lip Man 1
03-01-2013, 11:21 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-chicago-white-sox-brent-morel-shortstop-20130228,0,5002043.story

Lip

SoxSpeed22
03-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Might as well see. If Morel can offer some versatility, that can help him stick on the roster, especially with Kepp dinged up.

TDog
03-01-2013, 01:12 PM
I don't think there is anything in that story that is inconsistent with what I posted or with questioning those that take things in Februray baseball games seriously. It's spring training and baseball beat writers have to write something.

And technically, diving for a ball that goes as an infield hit isn't a fielding chance. But it's just the beginning of March, and I wouldn't take the story too seriously.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Anything that eliminates the possibility of Angel Sanchez (aka the second coming of Jose Lopez) is fine by me.

At least Morel has shown when healthy, his defense is good and he has some pop off the bench.

Again if he's healthy I'd take him on the roster as opposed to the other stiffs in a heartbeat.

Not saying he's the second coming, not saying it's even going to work out but again, I give Robin credit for thinking outside the box and trying to strengthen the 25 man roster.

Lip

Noneck
03-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Heres my thoughts, 1st I dont want sanchez. Morel can play 3rd, Beckham can play 2nd, ss and 3rd. Keppinger 2nd and 3rd. I cant think of any reason Morel can not be the so called utility guy because in reality Beckham and Keppinger are utility guys.

sunofgold
03-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Wise man backing up OFers
Jimenez backup C
Gillaspie backup 3b
Morel backup ss and 3b

With the Kepper able to backup Beckham at 2nd with Brent or Conor able to fill in at third. Dunn plays some backup first base and OF.

Seems like that would be an okay bench. A more experienced backup catcher would be nice. Looks like Jordan Danks could be odd man out.

doublem23
03-01-2013, 02:35 PM
I cant think of any reason Morel can not be the so called utility guy because in reality Beckham and Keppinger are utility guys.

His name is Conor Gillaspie

WhiteSox5187
03-01-2013, 02:42 PM

I think this spring Morel and Gillaspie will be battling for that utility spot. Plus if Keppinger's shoulder proves to be a problem it make sense to have more than one guy capable of playing third and short. There is no harm in using this spring to see if Morel can be a utility guy, if not this year then at some point down the road.

doublem23
03-01-2013, 02:57 PM
I think this spring Morel and Gillaspie will be battling for that utility spot. Plus if Keppinger's shoulder proves to be a problem it make sense to have more than one guy capable of playing third and short. There is no harm in using this spring to see if Morel can be a utility guy, if not this year then at some point down the road.

Morel has 2 minor league options left. Gillaspie has none. The Sox can send Morel to AAA this year without risking losing him. They cannot do the same with Gillaspie. Morel is going to have to blow him away this Spring to earn an Opening Day roster spot over him. Actually, more likely, Gillaspie is going to have to be absolutely terrible, probably doesn't matter how good Morel plays. Watch out, Gwinnett Braves, Brent Morel will be seeing you April 4!

WhiteSox5187
03-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Morel has 2 minor league options left. Gillaspie has none. The Sox can send Morel to AAA this year without risking losing him. They cannot do the same with Gillaspie. Morel is going to have to blow him away this Spring to earn an Opening Day roster spot over him.

I agree that Gillaspie is going to be on the Opening Day roster over Morel but I suspect that the White Sox are auditioning Morel for a utility spot in the future or in case Keppinger gets hurt.

doublem23
03-01-2013, 03:04 PM
I agree that Gillaspie is going to be on the Opening Day roster over Morel but I suspect that the White Sox are auditioning Morel for a utility spot in the future or in case Keppinger gets hurt.

I think they're just ****ing around because it's February 28.

A ton of MLB players were shortstops in high school and college. Mark Teixeira is a former amateur shortstop. A lot of guys who reach the Majors played SS because they were usually the best player on their high school or college team and that's were the best player plays most of the time.

Noneck
03-01-2013, 03:41 PM

As long as its not sanchez just because he can play ss.

doublem23
03-01-2013, 04:00 PM
As long as its not sanchez just because he can play ss.

Sanchez was a Rule V pick, right? He can't be optioned to the minors, either, else the Sox forfeit him back to LAA. He's going to have to be outright terrible for that to happen, as well.

Morel's starting this season in AAA.

Noneck
03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Sanchez was a Rule V pick, right? He can't be optioned to the minors, either, else the Sox forfeit him back to LAA. He's going to have to be outright terrible for that to happen, as well.

Morel's starting this season in AAA.

Yep no options. Hopefully he was the just in case pick, not knowing how Morels back was and before they got Gillaspie. Surprises can happen and he could be cut loose.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2013, 04:39 PM
I think the fee for letting him go back to the Angels and not keeping him on the roster is 25 thousand bucks.

That's nothing.

The fact that he was a rule five pick means little to nothing in the final decision.

Lip

TDog
03-01-2013, 07:44 PM

A ton of MLB players were shortstops in high school and college. Mark Teixeira is a former amateur shortstop. A lot of guys who reach the Majors played SS because they were usually the best player on their high school or college team and that's were the best player plays most of the time.

Bobby Thigpen was an All-American at Mississipi State at the DH position. He played in more than 400 major league gamess and only came up to bat once.

I think you're right. A few innings without a fielding chance in a meaningless Februrary game doesn't mean anything.

And I believe a backup shortstop should primarily be a shortstop.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2013, 07:56 PM
The Sox defensively probably aren't to be as good as last year however they still should be above average.

What they need is hitting.

On paper Morel hits better than the second coming of Jose Lopez (i.e. Angel Sanchez). His defense is good enough to probably play short as a back up / utility role for the amount of time he might actually get there.

His bat is better. If it comes down to those two, Morel offers more in what the team need more of.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
03-01-2013, 08:54 PM

I think you're taking this a bit too lightly, myself. Maybe Ventura wants to see if Morel's back can handle the range in both directions, whereas at 3B it's more of a one-sided affair.

SMO
:gulp:

Brian26
03-01-2013, 09:33 PM

I know a lot of people are making snarky comments about this, but Ventura did clearly say during Soxfest several times that he was considering using Morel as a backup shortstop. I heard it with my own ears, so it was definitely discussed over the winter, and seemingly Ventura is somewhat serious. In fact, I think Hahn talked about it in one of the seminars as well, talking about how valuable Morel would be as a backup second baseman or shortstop. Unfortunately either nobody remembers that or the media just simply did not pick up on the comment in January. It was discussed though.

shingo10
03-01-2013, 11:05 PM
I know a lot of people are making snarky comments about this, but Ventura did clearly say during Soxfest several times that he was considering using Morel as a backup shortstop. I heard it with my own ears, so it was definitely discussed over the winter, and seemingly Ventura is somewhat serious. In fact, I think Hahn talked about it in one of the seminars as well, talking about how valuable Morel would be as a backup second baseman or shortstop. Unfortunately either nobody remembers that or the media just simply did not pick up on the comment in January. It was discussed though.

It makes as much sense as anything. I'm all for it except in the case that Morel's health can't hold up even as a backup. If this is the case and we lose Sanchez because he is out of options where does that leave us?

It's a shame Morel was hurt from the get go last year...his September 2010 was awesome.

slavko
03-02-2013, 12:17 AM
It makes as much sense as anything. I'm all for it except in the case that Morel's health can't hold up even as a backup. If this is the case and we lose Sanchez because he is out of options where does that leave us?

It's a shame Morel was hurt from the get go last year...his September 2010 was awesome.

It was 2011, but lots of posters here will tell you that it doesn't count because it was against callup pitchers even though no other player on the team had a similar effect.

If 2012 was an injury year and September 2011 was the real thing, he could be back at 3rd and Keppinger at 2nd when Mr. Excuses runs out of them.

doublem23
03-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Then it might be time to have the FIRE ROBIN tag made up

Wedema
03-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Ramirez started 157 games last year so a back up SS is only needed for 5 or so games barring injury.

Tragg
03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Wise man backing up OFers
Jimenez backup C
Gillaspie backup 3b
Morel backup ss and 3b

With the Kepper able to backup Beckham at 2nd with Brent or Conor able to fill in at third. Dunn plays some backup first base and OF.

Seems like that would be an okay bench. A more experienced backup catcher would be nice. Looks like Jordan Danks could be odd man out.

Not so much as even an average hitter on that bench, unless Gillespie can hit (and if he can he won't be on the bench for long)

gosox41
03-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Ramirez started 157 games last year so a back up SS is only needed for 5 or so games barring injury.

Maybe he started 157 games last year due to lack of options.

Or maybe Ramirez will hit better if he had more rest.

Bob

Konerko05
03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Not so much as even an average hitter on that bench, unless Gillespie can hit (and if he can he won't be on the bench for long)

It's a bench. That's usually why players are on the bench. Because they are below average hitters.

sunofgold
03-02-2013, 08:28 PM
When Wise puts on a White Sox uniform he turns from
Journeyman. into Superman. I don't mind having him on the bench.

Gillaspie might be a good find and hope that Morel stays healthy. Defensively, not a bad bench.
Lol.

kruzer31
03-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Lets be honest here, it doesn't matter if we lose Morel. He can't hit and has the slowest bat in the majors. Sorry, someone had to say it.

Jeff

Lamp81
03-02-2013, 11:47 PM
I remember that game well. Crede started at SS and Widger at 3B. When Crede got ejected (HP umpire Wendlestedt said Crede did not make an attempt to get out of the way when HBP), Timo entered the game in RF and Dye moved from RF to SS

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK200504270.shtml

I too remember that game well. I watched from my hospital room as I recovered from diverticulitus. I seem to remember that Ozzie said he was very close to activating himself to start at SS that day. They just didn't want to drop a player to get Ozzie back on the 40 man roster.

With KW considering making Konerko a player/manager last year, the Sox could have had 3 out of the last 4 player-managers in Don Kessinger, Ozzie Guillen, and Paul Konerko, with Pete Rose being the other one.

WhiteSox5187
03-03-2013, 03:05 AM
I too remember that game well. I watched from my hospital room as I recovered from diverticulitus. I seem to remember that Ozzie said he was very close to activating himself to start at SS that day. They just didn't want to drop a player to get Ozzie back on the 40 man roster.

With KW considering making Konerko a player/manager last year, the Sox could have had 3 out of the last 4 player-managers in Don Kessinger, Ozzie Guillen, and Paul Konerko, with Pete Rose being the other one.

Ozzie Guillen was never a player-manager, he was a former player who became a manager.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-03-2013, 03:22 AM
Ozzie Guillen was never a player-manager, he was a former player who became a manager.

I think he was saying that if Guillen had activated himself to play SS that game, that would have given the Sox a player-manager for that game.

Konerko05
03-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Lets be honest here, it doesn't matter if we lose Morel. He can't hit and has the slowest bat in the majors. Sorry, someone had to say it.

Jeff

His bat isn't extremely quick, but it's definitely not slow enough to even put it in discussion for slowest bat in the Majors. He has a pretty decent swing actually. If you're judging from last year, he was playing though extreme pain where he couldn't cut lose on a swing and messed up his mechanics in the process. He was basically just trying to put the bat on the ball. He could barely hit a line drive.

Morel would be a very fringe starter offensively at 3B and his defense could possibly keep him in a starting role. If you don't agree, look at Crede's numbers. He didn't have a good offensive season until 2006. But what I was getting at, Morel would be a plus bat off the bench. Trying to make him more versatile is a great idea.

TDog
03-03-2013, 03:28 PM

I wasn't aware of the Soxfest comments until your post. Of course, it enchances Morel's chances to stay in the majors if he can back up at second and short. If you are a position player who isn't starting, you are hurting your team's bench if you only have one position. That is one of the reasons the Giants had to trade Gillaspie.

Still, Hahn took a backup shortstop in the Rule 5 draft, and Morel didn't play any position but third last year in Charlotte. Having a third baseman who can back up other positions including shortstop and building a 25-man roster with that player as your backup shortstop are two different things.

If Morel were to be the second shortstop on the team, I wouldn't expect him to make the 25-man roster coming out of this spirng training.

sunofgold
03-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Nobody brought up this possibility. By having him playing SS it makes Morel more useful for another team. morel's defense alone might be nice for a team. Could be shopping him.

Alexei plays most of the time anyways. Gillaspie backup third and for now Angel Sanchez backups at short.

doublem23
03-03-2013, 10:27 PM

Jeff

I don't see what there is to apologize for, I can't believe anyone's watched the Sox in the last 2 years and not concluded that, at best, on a good team, Brent Morel is a fringe starter.

Lamp81
03-03-2013, 10:38 PM

You are missing the point. There was a time in 2005 when the Sox had injured infielders, and were playing in Oakland, far away from where all of their minor league players were. The Sox were so desperate, Chris Widger started at 3B and Joe Crede started at SS. Later in that game Jermaine Dye was moved to SS to replace an ejected Crede.

At the time KW and OG were quoted as saying that they nearly activated Ozzie in an emergency situation to play infield.

They may have had a hangup as they didn't want to drop someone from the 40 man to add Ozzie. Another hangup may have been how Ozzie retired. If Tampa Bay (who he last played for) still owned his rights, the Sox would have had to make some sort of transaction to get his rights before they could even add him to the 40 man.

If all that had happened, OG would have been the 1st player/manager since Pete Rose in the 80s.

WhiteSox5187
03-03-2013, 10:53 PM

I think he was saying that if Guillen had activated himself to play SS that game, that would have given the Sox a player-manager for that game.

You are missing the point. There was a time in 2005 when the Sox had injured infielders, and were playing in Oakland, far away from where all of their minor league players were. The Sox were so desperate, Chris Widger started at 3B and Joe Crede started at SS. Later in that game Jermaine Dye was moved to SS to replace an ejected Crede.

At the time KW and OG were quoted as saying that they nearly activated Ozzie in an emergency situation to play infield.

They may have had a hangup as they didn't want to drop someone from the 40 man to add Ozzie. Another hangup may have been how Ozzie retired. If Tampa Bay (who he last played for) still owned his rights, the Sox would have had to make some sort of transaction to get his rights before they could even add him to the 40 man.

If all that had happened, OG would have been the 1st player/manager since Pete Rose in the 80s.

I missed the highlighted part, sorry about that. That would have been pretty cool to see actually. I was at school that day so I didn't get to see that game.

Iron Dragon2
03-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Morel at any position sucks.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Iron:

Probably better though than Angel Sanchez no?

Lip

thomas35forever
03-04-2013, 07:33 PM
I don't see what there is to apologize for, I can't believe anyone's watched the Sox in the last 2 years and not concluded that, at best, on a good team, Brent Morel is a fringe starter.
Sure looks like it. Between injuries and the front office never really having confidence in him, I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone before the end of the year. He's had his chances, but he's clearly not impressing anybody. If his future is utility infielder for the rest of his career, he'll make his living somewhere. Just probably not here.

doublem23
03-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Iron:

Lip

Probably not, shortstop is arguably the 2nd most valuable defensive position, you want a guy who can play the position. And, maybe I missed it, but when did Brent Morel become a guy with a stick we had to find a way to squeeze in the lineup? This isn't like the Angels moving Trumbo all over the diamond last year, Morel is a career .230 hitter (.240 if you ignore the season his back was bugging him). He's not some kind of guy whose going to give you plus offense from any position. Maybe Sanchez will be bad. Likely, even, but what is the harm in keeping him around, seeing if you found lightning in a bottle, and letting Brent get back to game speed in AAA? The Sox aren't going to win or lose anything this year because Sanchez is just a better option than Morel for the 25th spot on the roster.

doublem23
03-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Sure looks like it. Between injuries and the front office never really having confidence in him, I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone before the end of the year. He's had his chances, but he's clearly not impressing anybody. If his future is utility infielder for the rest of his career, he'll make his living somewhere. Just probably not here.

He's not even eligible to become an FA until after 2017. I'm not expecting there to be an avalanche of interest in ol' Brent Morel.

Daver
03-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Iron:

Lip

Bring back Angel Gonzalez.

SoxNation05
03-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Bring back Angel Gonzalez.

He is still a part of the Chicago White Sox team!