PDA

View Full Version : Mark Johnson

FanOf14
07-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Firstly - YESSSSSSSSSSS! Complete game shutout for MB!!!!
Now, back to my topic. What is the deal with Mark Johnson rarely even trying to block the plate when a guy is coming home? Crede threw a great throw and as usual MJ leans on the first baseside. Doesn't he understand that when a runner is coming home, it's on the third base side? I understand that he catches the ball with his right hand, but what is the deal with him not blocking the plate? Are the throws really that off or is he?

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-30-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
Now, back to my topic. What is the deal with Mark Johnson rarely even trying to block the plate when a guy is coming home? Crede threw a great throw and as usual MJ leans on the first baseside. Doesn't he understand that when a runner is coming home, it's on the third base side? I understand that he catches the ball with his right hand, but what is the deal with him not blocking the plate? Are the throws really that off or is he?

The throw was to the 1st base side. Crede made a decent, yet not perfect throw. WHO CARES THOUGH! We shut em out!!!

:)

Daver
07-30-2002, 09:20 PM

Mark does not position himself well to protect the plate,you are correct on that.

JoseCanseco6969
07-30-2002, 09:29 PM
more proof that MJ sucks! And he was lucky as hell to get that little bloop hit.

Tragg
07-30-2002, 11:05 PM
I understand that he catches the ball with his right hand, but what is the deal with him not blocking the plate? Are the throws really that off or is he?

MJ is pretty mediocre, but that throw was a good bit off target.

kermittheefrog
07-30-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969
more proof that MJ sucks! And he was lucky as hell to get that little bloop hit.

And you are the vestige of baseball knowledge?

LongDistanceFan
07-31-2002, 12:34 AM

a catcher is suppose to be in front of the plate and do a sweep tag, block the plate with his left leg or brace himself for a collision. when the runner is coming home from 3b, he is usually running on the right side of the line, where he can cross over to interfere with the throw if he see the catcher lining up with him.

i hate to say this but that may have been a text book positioning on that play.

JoseCanseco6969
07-31-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

And you are the vestige of baseball knowledge?

yes kermit, i am the vestige of baseball knowledge...thanks for noticing

Randar68
07-31-2002, 07:59 AM

yes kermit, i am the vestige of baseball knowledge...thanks for noticing

There shall be a great feast, and more JOSH PAUL FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Dadawg_77
07-31-2002, 09:10 AM

I think Mark was trying to tell Crede to go to first to get the out with a three run lead in the 9th. I don't think Mark thought the play was going to be at the plate so didn't set up for it. There is another thread on this board discussing this point.