PDA

View Full Version : Can You Say Huge!

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-30-2002, 09:17 PM
How's about that!!! Crede with the awesome play to nail the runner at the plate & Burhle induces the DP to finish em off. Outstanding effort by Crede & Burly-mon! Where the hell has this kinda play been all year??? Welcome to Chicago Joe Crede!!!

:)

Iguana775
07-30-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND
How's about that!!! Crede with the awesome play to nail the runner at the plate & Burhle induces the DP to finish em off. Outstanding effort by Crede & Burly-mon! Where the hell has this kinda play been all year??? Welcome to Chicago Joe Crede!!!

:)

kick a$$!! good job crede. i didnt get to see the game but from what you said, he had a good play. too bad he couldnt get a hit tonite. but that will come once he gets over the jitters.

kevingrt
07-30-2002, 09:20 PM
But if you notice MJ made a amazing play to grab and tag, Crede didnt make the best throw

duke of dorwood
07-30-2002, 09:25 PM
But he never hesitated. A well thought out play. Where has THAT been? Maybe our best defensive game of the year.

DrCrawdad
07-30-2002, 09:27 PM
Joe made a nice play on a grounder to his left earlier too. Dove, got up and threw the runner out at 2nd.

The defense was good overall as well. Even C Lee made a nice play on a fly ball off the wall. And Hollywood Harris did well too.

The Sox game finished in 2 hours 8 minutes.

:santo
"I hate A.L. games. They're so slow."

mrwag
07-30-2002, 09:34 PM
It's amazing what a little bit of desire and drive will do. We should have done these trades in May, before it was too late.

Tragg
07-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
It's amazing what a little bit of desire and drive will do. We should have done these trades in May, before it was too late.

We didn't even need to trade anybody to play Joe Crede.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-30-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

We didn't even need to trade anybody to play Joe Crede.

If we're going to play him consistently we will. I'm voting Royce off the island.

BUH BYE JACKASS!!

:hitless

chisoxfanatic
07-31-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
But if you notice MJ made a amazing play to grab and tag, Crede didnt make the best throw
MJ was just coming down the line to tell Crede to throw to 1st...he wasn't in position to complete a play at the plate...that's why his grab looked a little more steller.

Heather the Redbird

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2002, 01:29 AM
The "textbook" play when up by three runs in the ninth is to concede the run for the sure out at first. Crede's throw was up the line, and he was lucky that Johnson was able to pull it down and make the tag. It worked out great when the double play to end the game followed, but what would you be saying if the run scored, and the Twins still had two on and nobody out?

That play was a bullet dodged, not a great play.

kermittheefrog
07-31-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
The "textbook" play when up by three runs in the ninth is to concede the run for the sure out at first. Crede's throw was up the line, and he was lucky that Johnson was able to pull it down and make the tag. It worked out great when the double play to end the game followed, but what would you be saying if the run scored, and the Twins still had two on and nobody out?

It was stupid but it was still a sweet play and an example of how talented Crede is on defense.

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
It was stupid but it was still a sweet play and an example of how talented Crede is on defense. Okay, Kermie, I'll take your word for it. :D:

doublem23
07-31-2002, 02:07 AM

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. :)

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. :) Yep. That still didn't prevent me from having a near heart attack when I saw him going home instead of to first.

doublem23
07-31-2002, 02:11 AM
Yep. That still didn't prevent me from having a near heart attack when I saw him going home instead of to first.

LOL! I agree, my heart dropped into my stomach when I saw him throw to home, but like has been said, at least he did it whole-heartedly. He didn't appear to doubt himself, and he got lucky that Johnson was there to finish the play.

We're still 5 or 6 games under .500... Beggars can't be choosers. :smile:

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2002, 02:14 AM
He didn't appear to doubt himself, and he got lucky that Johnson was there to finish the play.Let's just hope he doesn't make a habit of going for the big play instead of the high-percentage play.

doublem23
07-31-2002, 02:20 AM
Let's just hope he doesn't make a habit of going for the big play instead of the high-percentage play.

I can agree with that. Who knows? His first big league game where he's dubbed the bona fide starter... Probably tried to extend his first 15 minutes in the limelight as long as possible.

Either ways, I'm going to bed. I do require some sleep to properly function.

HootieMcBoob
07-31-2002, 02:35 AM
huge, yeah - but it was so risky - if he was safe, it'd be 1st and 3rd no outs...but hey, i don't care...Buehrle got me a CG SO for my fantasy team!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

baggio202
07-31-2002, 06:40 AM

LOL! I agree, my heart dropped into my stomach when I saw him throw to home, but like has been said, at least he did it whole-heartedly. He didn't appear to doubt himself, and he got lucky that Johnson was there to finish the play.

We're still 5 or 6 games under .500... Beggars can't be choosers. :smile:

did you guys notice as soon as that play was over valentin ran over to crede and said something like...plays at 1st base there...rook

lol

wonder why royce wasnt even used as a defensive replacement for manos in the 9th???...i hope that means he is off the island today :)

34 Inch Stick
07-31-2002, 08:36 AM
I would hope that as soon as he got back to the dugout Manuel put his arm around him and told him it was a nice result but the proper play was to first. That is what a teacher should do but I doubt anyone talked with him about it afterward.

By the way we have seen that kind of play all year on the bases and the field. Give me more solid smart plays and I will be happy.

Tragg
07-31-2002, 08:49 AM
Let's just hope he doesn't make a habit of going for the big play instead of the high-percentage play.

Yes, and he'll learn that. But it's nice to have someone CAPABLE of making a big play, something that our left side last week was incapable of. If the game was tied and valentin was at 3rd, we lose.

Cheryl
07-31-2002, 09:53 AM
Okay, the ball really showed have gone to first, but I liked the no hesitation, no waffling, get the ball, throw the ball we got to see last night.

duke of dorwood
07-31-2002, 11:17 AM
I really think he thought about that play BEFORE it was hit . Being on turf-he gets it faster. Then the instincts took over.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I really think he thought about that play BEFORE it was hit . Being on turf-he gets it faster. Then the instincts took over.

I agree. The whole play was in front of him. He knew he had the runner dead to rights and had enough confidence to follow through. It certainly wasn't the safe play, but it was a solid play and well-executed, too. It's about time somebody from the Sox used that damned Baggie Dome turf to OUR advantage, rather than the Twinkies'.

I think it's worth mentioning that the Twinkies are notorious for these late-inning comebacks. Given the choice, I wouldn't give them one damned run--even if some people here think it was "meaningless." Against the Twinkies, there are no "meaningless" runs.

The way to beat an aggressive team is get aggressive yourself. That's exactly what Crede did in that situation. Good for him.

Iwritecode
07-31-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I would hope that as soon as he got back to the dugout Manuel put his arm around him and told him it was a nice result but the proper play was to first. That is what a teacher should do but I doubt anyone talked with him about it afterward.

You mean like in the movie Major League where Willie Mays Hays makes that basket catch and when he gets to the dugout Lou Brown grabs his hand and says: "Nice catch. Don't ever ****ing do it again." :D:

DrCrawdad
07-31-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The way to beat an aggressive team is get aggressive yourself. That's exactly what Crede did in that situation. Good for him.

I agree. I cringed when I saw Joe throw home, but I celebrate it for the fact that it worked out. A complete game shut out of the Twins at the Baggie is great.

I wonder how many times the Twins were shut out at home this year? How many complete game shut outs?

- DrCrawdad.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I agree. I cringed when I saw Joe throw home, but I celebrate it for the fact that it worked out. A complete game shut out of the Twins at the Baggie is great.

That dope running down the third base line wasn't entitled to score. There was a play at the plate; Crede took it. It wasn't the safe play, but that's not the way the Twinkies were playing it, was it?

Nope, the Twinkie third base coach took a chance. They probably sent that dope on contact, figuring the Sox would concede a "meaningless" run. WRONG!!!

They paid the price for being aggressive. That was one more thing for the next dope to think about when he stepped into the batter's box and hit into that double-play. Just getting the ball into play wasn't going to be enough. The Sox were playing aggressive, too.

That stupid Baggie Dome turf was working perfect to help the Sox fielders. The ball was getting to them fast--leaving more time for unconventional plays, like Crede's. If the Sox are conceding runs, the turf factor is irrelevant. Aggressive play like Crede's made it one.

So he choked and the game ended. I think Crede deserves some credit for it. This wasn't the same "lay down" Sox Jerry "The Tinkerer" has been managing all season.

Crede's play at the plate changed the entire inning. Maybe he has changed this team's outlook, too?

Believe me, it can only be an improvement.

voodoochile
07-31-2002, 11:58 AM
I was amazed our 3rd baseman even cut that ball off and was stunned when he went home. I haven't been watching much recently, so it was cool to see a play like that, even though I was expecting him to go to first. Still, a nice athletic play and very encouraging for next year. If that is anyone else at 3rd and the Sox are only leading by 1 run, the guy scores easily. Good news for the future.

PHG had a good point earlier when he pointed out that the play was right in front of him. He knew he had the guy dead to rights and he made the play with a little help from MJ. If we see more of that next year, it will be way cool. A real 3rd-sacker, how cool is that. Come on Joe, hit like we know you can and grab the job for the next decade...

DrCrawdad
07-31-2002, 12:15 PM
I think Crede deserves some credit for it. This wasn't the same "lay down" Sox Jerry "The Tinkerer" has been managing all season.

Crede's play at the plate changed the entire inning. Maybe he has changed this team's outlook, too?

Believe me, it can only be an improvement.

It's an improvement having a 3rd baseman playing 3rd base.

Not to be overlooked is that the Sox have had 4 well pitched games in a row.

I know the Sox are out of the race, but I enjoyed the game last night. Great pitching. Great defense. Timely hitting. The "new" Sox looked like they cared.

- DrCrawdad.

Iguana775
07-31-2002, 01:06 PM
the thing they need to go is get above .500 and maybe things will go our way........get somewhat close to the twinkies for the central. i dont believe we can catch them but if i dont want to go down without a fight.

hold2dibber
07-31-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

It's an improvement having a 3rd baseman playing 3rd base.

Not to be overlooked is that the Sox have had 4 well pitched games in a row.

I know the Sox are out of the race, but I enjoyed the game last night. Great pitching. Great defense. Timely hitting. The "new" Sox looked like they cared.

- DrCrawdad.

At this point, that's about all you can ask for - that they play well enough that the games are enjoyable (which doesn't always mean winning, but at least playing hard and enthusiastically) and so that we have reason to believe they can contend next year. Is that too much to ask?

CubKilla
07-31-2002, 07:47 PM

I agree. The whole play was in front of him. He knew he had the runner dead to rights and had enough confidence to follow through. It certainly wasn't the safe play, but it was a solid play and well-executed, too. It's about time somebody from the Sox used that damned Baggie Dome turf to OUR advantage, rather than the Twinkies'.

I think it's worth mentioning that the Twinkies are notorious for these late-inning comebacks. Given the choice, I wouldn't give them one damned run--even if some people here think it was "meaningless." Against the Twinkies, there are no "meaningless" runs.

Best post I've read all day. My sentiments EXACTLY! Everyone know the play should have been to 1st for the "assured" out. And, with a younger infield playing now, you may see more plays like you did last night. But that play was something that we haven't seen too often out of the White Sox this season since April..... AGGRESSIVE! I'll take aggressive play over what I've seen in May through most of July anyday.