DSpivack
02-22-2013, 12:21 PM
For RP Jeff Soptic.

Lars Anderson DFA.

http://t.co/FVfJtEStsK

johnnyg83
02-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Triple-A line is .289/.368/.447

LH bat off the bench, depth at 3B. I like it. He's out of options though.

DSpivack
02-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Triple-A line is .289/.368/.447

LH bat off the bench, depth at 3B. I like it. He's out of options though.

Yeah, as the article said, they'll have to waive him if he doesn't make the big league club.

kittle42
02-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Oh, we're set now!

Carolina Kenny
02-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Oh, we're set now!

Kepp to 2nd, goodbye Bacon.

blandman
02-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Kepp to 2nd, goodbye Bacon.

:bandance:

Chez
02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Lars Anderson Appreciation Thread?

VeeckAsInWreck
02-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Lars Anderson Appreciation Thread?

I'll never forget that day the Sox got him and people made Metallica references.

#1swisher
02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Daryl Van Schouwen
Hahn views Gillaspie as complementary player to Keppinger at third. Hits to all fields, good obp guy and "solid-average" defensively.

Hahn said Morel has looked good and healthy and is not out of picture. It's early.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

Dan Hayes
Busy morning. #WhiteSox (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WhiteSox&src=hash) began day by signing 25 players to 1-year deals. OD Payroll will be at least $108.5 million.

http://bit.ly/XGM7VL (http://t.co/WyBeajK7Kg)

Chez
02-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Someone should point out to Conor's parents that they have managed to misspell both his first and last names.

thomas35forever
02-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Just use him wisely. Hopefully, he'll perform at a level for better or for worse that makes the decision for him easier.

ChicagoG19
02-23-2013, 10:36 AM
I like this deal if only that it adds another left-handed bat to the lineup.

johnny_mostil
02-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Someone should point out to Conor's parents that they have managed to misspell both his first and last names.

Funny. The spelling is very Irish, for both names, actually.

SoxNation05
02-23-2013, 01:32 PM
I like a little wild card. The guy has shown he can get on base in the minors and hits left handed.

JB98
02-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Minor move, but an interesting one. They seem to be accumulating infielders.

Even though they are saying nice things about Morel in public, I don't think they have much faith in him. Nor should they.

I like Keppinger as a "10th man" of sorts. He's a real nice utility player, but I'm not huge fan of giving him an everyday job.

If Gillaspie plays well this spring, maybe we're going to see a platoon at 3B. Or maybe Keppinger gets more time than we think at 2B if Beckham doesn't produce.

doublem23
02-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Hahn seems to like other teams' busted prospects

SoxNation05
02-23-2013, 03:19 PM

As did Kenny...

balke
02-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Josh Bell (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=458679&c_id=cws#gameType=%27R%27) is a switch hitter with better minor league power then all 3B candidates. Anyone know details on him? Any good defensively?

TDog
02-24-2013, 12:30 PM

I don't know if Gillaspie was a busted prospect. He really didn't fit into the Giants' plans going into a season when he was out of options and never got a chance. The infield is set with Sandoval, Crawford and Scuataro, who were are key to the team's success last year either offensively or defensively. He wasn't going to beat out Arias in the bench role he could have with the White Sox after the way Arias contributed last year.

Gillaspie looks like he could be a good contact hitter, something the White Sox don't have enough of, but he hasn't been given much of a chance at the major league level. He is going to have to show something in Arizona to make the White Sox, but it wouldn't surprise me if he plays this season for some other team's AAA affiliate.

Tragg
02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
At least we didn't give up much for this failed prospect.
Better than trading Edwin Jackson, Carlos Quentin and Santos for declining prospects.

SoxNation05
02-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Josh Bell (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=458679&c_id=cws#gameType=%27R%27) is a switch hitter with better minor league power then all 3B candidates. Anyone know details on him? Any good defensively?

Now that we have Gilaspie along with Morel I don't think we would be looking for another 3B.

Corlose 15
02-24-2013, 02:40 PM
It seems like he'd have to be awful in spring to not break camp with the Sox.

SoxSpeed22
02-24-2013, 03:12 PM
It's not the ideal solution, but it's a savvy trade for 3B, and we gave up someone else who we have no plans for in Soptic.

balke
02-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Now that we have Gilaspie along with Morel I don't think we would be looking for another 3B.

He's already on the team and part of the competition to claim 3B. Just looking at minor league, he looks like he has the most power potential of anyone.

Tragg
02-24-2013, 05:56 PM
It seems like he'd have to be awful in spring to not break camp with the Sox.

I tend to agree.
Who's our bench SS though?

Corlose 15
02-25-2013, 01:33 AM
I tend to agree.
Who's our bench SS though?

Angel Sanchez. A rule 5 pickup this offseason.

Mr. Jinx
02-25-2013, 09:03 AM

If we are banking on those two we've got problems. The more competition the merrier.

WhiteSoxNation
02-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Minor move, but an interesting one. They seem to be accumulating infielders.

Even though they are saying nice things about Morel in public, I don't think they have much faith in him. Nor should they.

I like Keppinger as a "10th man" of sorts. He's a real nice utility player, but I'm not huge fan of giving him an everyday job.

If Gillaspie plays well this spring, maybe we're going to see a platoon at 3B. Or maybe Keppinger gets more time than we think at 2B if Beckham doesn't produce.

I can't see any platoon happening. Keppinger has .303/.378 splits. Beckham is pretty neutral. Only chance is Gillaspie plays 3B v RHP and Keppinger to 2B......But Beckham being neutral there's no real gain here.

Gillaspie, to me, just there for options, possibly trade options.

TheVulture
02-25-2013, 03:15 PM
I can't see any platoon happening. Keppinger has .303/.378 splits. Beckham is pretty neutral. Only chance is Gillaspie plays 3B v RHP and Keppinger to 2B......But Beckham being neutral there's no real gain here.

Gillaspie, to me, just there for options, possibly trade options.

I don't know how Gillaspie hits lefties, but if he is anywhere near passable he'd be an upgrade over Dunn. Many left handed spray/slap hitters actually hit lefties better, Ichiro and Juan Pierre for example. Could DH Konerko vs. lefties, move Keppinger to first and Gillaspie at third

SoxNation05
02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
If we are banking on those two we've got problems. The more competition the merrier.

Seeing the roster as it sits now, we are banking on these two. Bell may be competiton but he has little chance of making the OD roster.

And according to your synopsis, we have problems.

doublem23
02-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Seeing the roster as it sits now, we are banking on these two. Bell may be competiton but he has little chance of making the OD roster.

And according to your synopsis, we have problems.

This team should resemble the 2012 team; as long as the everyday starting 9 are healthy and playing well, they will be, at the very least, mildly competitive and probably in the race for a postseason berth, but as soon as they need to start tapping bench players or (god forbid) the minor leagues for some help, we're going to struggle.

LITTLE NELL
02-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Little blurb today on WhiteSox.com about Keppinger and his working on his throws from 3B. I don't know what kind off arm he has on long throws from the hot corner. Would not surprise me if Beckham struggles again with the bat out of the gate that he is traded and Keppinger moves to 2nd with a platoon of Morel and Gillaspie at 3B. Personally I'm pulling hard for Gordo to have a breakout season plus his fielding would be hard to replace.

Taliesinrk
02-25-2013, 04:59 PM
At least we didn't give up much for this failed prospect.
Better than trading Edwin Jackson, Carlos Quentin and Santos for declining prospects.

couldn't agree more. this guy clearly sucks - failure is the perfect description. he's given a chance with the Sox and doesn't even have a ****ing hit so far this spring. cut him now, stop the bleeding and let's see if Wise can play 3rd

blandman
02-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Little blurb today on WhiteSox.com about Keppinger and his working on his throws from 3B. I don't know what kind off arm he has on long throws from the hot corner. Would not surprise me if Beckham struggles again with the bat out of the gate that he is traded and Keppinger moves to 2nd with a platoon of Morel and Gillaspie at 3B. Personally I'm pulling hard for Gordo to have a breakout season plus his fielding would be hard to replace.

We let's see if Gillaspie can win the job first. Guy comes with top side talent, and he's hit at the minor league level.

I like the idea of Kepp at 2B and keeping Beckham as a super-utility guy. His biggest asset isn't his stick (which is below average to slightly below average everywhere he can play). His biggest asset is he plays above average defense no matter where you put him. Sign me up for that. After he's out of here, that's probably his career anyway.

DSpivack
02-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Morel and Gillaspie both seem like AAAA players to me. I don't want either of them starting.

blandman
02-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Morel and Gillaspie both seem like AAAA players to me. I don't want either of them starting.

Gillaspie was rushed ridiculously by the Giants. He played something like 24 minor league games before his first call up. He's bounced up and down the minors since while getting almost no playing time (like 270 plate appearances). Yeah, he's hit well in the minors, but that's not really a AAAA player, that's a guy that hasn't really been given a fair shake. Dude's a former first round pick to boot. Let's give him a shot. This could be one of those key moves that changes everything.

Tragg
02-25-2013, 06:49 PM
couldn't agree more. this guy clearly sucks - failure is the perfect description. he's given a chance with the Sox and doesn't even have a ****ing hit so far this spring. cut him now, stop the bleeding and let's see if Wise can play 3rd

Just quoting someone else's description as failed. I hope he does well. We don't have anything close to an average ML bat on the bench, so there's plenty of opportunity.

BigHurt3515
02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
who is this Loman character?

SoxNation05
02-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Gilaspie went 2-4 with 4 RBIs today.

doublem23
02-27-2013, 01:19 PM

27-year-old career minor leaguer whose spent most of the last 2 seasons in Birmingham

kittle42
02-27-2013, 01:26 PM

The very definition of "organizational depth."

Of course, so is Dewayne Wise, so you never know with this organization.

doublem23
02-27-2013, 01:31 PM
The very definition of "organizational depth."

Of course, so is Dewayne Wise, so you never know with this organization.

Eh, Loman's been pretty well relegated to AA so I don't think there's any chance anyone will be falling in love with him save for an occasional fan who sees his .333/.400/1.000 line through 4 games in Spring Training and thinks we've found our 1B of the future

kittle42
02-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Eh, Loman's been pretty well relegated to AA so I don't think there's any chance anyone will be falling in love with him save for an occasional fan who sees his .333/.400/1.000 line through 4 games in Spring Training and thinks we've found our 1B of the future

I'm very excited about those people showing up a little further into the spring!

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm very excited about those people showing up a little further into the spring!

Careful, some of them might work in the White Sox front office.

SoxNation05
02-27-2013, 04:14 PM
I really don't understand the negativity around this kid. I see a former 1st round draft pick who was rushed ridiculously and then blocked by Sandoval. His minor league statistics are legit and he has not yet received a fair shot in the majors. Give him some time, see what he can do. He is a better option than we currently have so let's hope he hits.

kittle42
02-27-2013, 04:37 PM
I really don't understand the negativity around this kid. I see a former 1st round draft pick who was rushed ridiculously and then blocked by Sandoval. His minor league statistics are legit and he has not yet received a fair shot in the majors. Give him some time, see what he can do. He is a better option than we currently have so let's hope he hits.

Who's negative? I think we were talking about Loman, not Gillaspie. The latter is a fine UT player.

BigHurt3515
02-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Gillaspie just hit a 2 run home run

And Walker just hit a stand up triple

And Bell hits a triple. Damn

SoxNation05
02-27-2013, 10:04 PM

Who's negative? I think we were talking about Loman, not Gillaspie. The latter is a fine UT player.

These were the posts that I was referring to.

kittle42
02-27-2013, 10:18 PM

The first post is obvious - OBVIOUS - sarcasm. The second post is a valid criticism.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=gillas001con\

Had a pretty good 2011, but also easier to hit in the PCL. Still, he's likely an upgrade from that horrid bench from last year (as is Morel), but it's likely neither are world-beaters.

DSpivack
02-27-2013, 10:24 PM
I would love to be wrong. :wink:

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2013, 10:57 PM
I just noticed that Gillaspie is wearing number 12, that somewhat surprised me as I figured the White Sox wouldn't let anyone touch that number for awhile. Especially not a guy who appears to be a bench guy at best.

kittle42
02-27-2013, 11:06 PM
I just noticed that Gillaspie is wearing number 12, that somewhat surprised me as I figured the White Sox wouldn't let anyone touch that number for awhile. Especially not a guy who appears to be a bench guy at best.

It's not like they were gonna retire it.

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2013, 11:32 PM
It's not like they were gonna retire it.

No but I thought they would at least wait a year before giving it away. But then again they gave away Jermaine Dye's number as soon as he left.

DickAllen72
02-27-2013, 11:46 PM
It's not that big of a deal, but the classy thing to do would be to wait a year before issuing number 12. But then again we are talking about the White Sox front office, which can't really be described as "classy" in recent years.

sunofgold
02-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Conor on the bench and Morel at AAA makes the most sense right now. Still early but seems like a nice pickup by the Hahnmeister.

doublem23
02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Conor on the bench and Morel at AAA makes the most sense right now. Still early but seems like a nice pickup by the Hahnmeister.

Considering Gillaspie is out of minor league options and Morel still has 2, Conor is going to have to completely fall apart for this not to be the case.