PDA

View Full Version : DeAza To WBC...

Lip Man 1
02-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Joining Dominican team after a Milwaukee player said 'no...'

He and Rios are going to be away from the big club.

Lip

lizard6king6
02-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Carlos Gomez dropped out. I personally don't like them playing but in the end it's their personal choice if they want to represent their country. Just praying they come back healthy.

amsteel
02-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Good for him.

Domeshot17
02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't mind offensive players playing. I prefer pitchers don't as I think many don't have their arms in that kind of shape yet.

doublem23
02-22-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't mind offensive players playing. I prefer pitchers don't as I think many don't have their arms in that kind of shape yet.

Kind of mirrors my feeling, as well, but a guy like De Aza, whose career was nearly derailed by injuries and still has yet to play a full season healthy, does kind of scare me. Especially because the guy behind him on the depth chart is Dewayne Wise.

*shudder*

On an unrelated note, uh, I thought the Domincican Republic was supposed to be good at baseball?

DSpivack
02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Kind of mirrors my feeling, as well, but a guy like De Aza, whose career was nearly derailed by injuries and still has yet to play a full season healthy, does kind of scare me. Especially because the guy behind him on the depth chart is Dewayne Wise.

*shudder*

On an unrelated note, uh, I thought the Domincican Republic was supposed to be good at baseball?

I don't have a big problem with it, I see it as a more competitive spring training.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-22-2013, 01:04 PM
People act like playing in the WBC is career threatening. These guys are pro athletes, they condition themselves for this kind of thing. Let's not act like they're fragile.

Nellie_Fox
02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
People act like playing in the WBC is career threatening. These guys are pro athletes, they condition themselves for this kind of thing. Let's not act like they're fragile.The point is that if they get injured, they get injured playing for someone who is not on the hook for the guaranteed contract. They'll be playing in games where they actually care who wins, instead of games where players are working on things to get ready for the season. Why should the Chicago White Sox (or any other team) have to pay the salary of a player who's unable to play as a result of an injury sustained in an activity outside of their White Sox job?

Chez
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
The point is that if they get injured, they get injured playing for someone who is not on the hook for the guaranteed contract. They'll be playing in games where they actually care who wins, instead of games where players are working on things to get ready for the season. Why should the Chicago White Sox (or any other team) have to pay the salary of a player who's unable to play as a result of an injury sustained in an activity outside of their White Sox job?

Fair point. But has this ever happened? I know it could happen, but I don't know if it ever has. I just can't remember a player sustaining a serious injury during the WBC.

Lip Man 1
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
I want to say that a pitcher was hurt a few years ago. Sorry I can't remember his name but he missed time during the regular season because of it.

UPDATE: I think his last name was Ayala.

Lip

Chez
02-22-2013, 01:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/8853591/busting-world-baseball-classic-injury-myth

This article suggests that playing in the WBC does not increase the liklihood of injury.

thomas35forever
02-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Eh, the competition still sucks.

doublem23
02-22-2013, 02:13 PM
People act like playing in the WBC is career threatening. These guys are pro athletes, they condition themselves for this kind of thing. Let's not act like they're fragile.

I think that's overstating it a bit, but the fact of the matter is that Alejandro's career has been hampered by injuries, he lost a job in Miami twice, I believe, and broke down in his first full MLB season last year. The guy's going to be 29 years old in April and he's not proven to be a durable player yet. And to heighten the anxiety, the backup plan appears to be Wise. Maybe it'd be one thing if Thompson or Mitchell or Danks looked poised to become the Sox's long-term solution in CF, but right now that doesn't exist. I think a healthy Alejandro is extremely important to this team, when he was playing well they played good ball and it's not a coincidence (IMO) that when he started to miss time down the stretch run, they fell apart.

The Immigrant
02-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Why should the Chicago White Sox (or any other team) have to pay the salary of a player who's unable to play as a result of an injury sustained in an activity outside of their White Sox job?

Because the WBC was conjured up by MLB (with the support of the MLBPA) as a means to increase the sport's popularity and, ultimately, profitability.

I would argue that playing in it is part of the job of an MLB player.

amsteel
02-22-2013, 03:02 PM
I want to say that a pitcher was hurt a few years ago. Sorry I can't remember his name but he missed time during the regular season because of it.

UPDATE: I think his last name was Ayala.

Lip

One guy got hurt? SHUT IT DOWN

ESPN article regarding the WBC injury myth:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/8853591/busting-world-baseball-classic-injury-myth

Every other sport has an international competition in which professional athletes compete and the majority of people find it hugely entertaining and celebrate the athletes that choose to represent their countries. Baseball fans need to get over themselves.

DSpivack
02-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Andre Rienzo will also be playing in the WBC.

Lip Man 1
02-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Amsteel:

You are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine. It's a publicity stunt. Baseball is already very popular in places like Australia, China, Japan, South America and so forth.

Guess they simply want to increase the popularity in Greenland.

It's not worth the risk of one player especially if he plays for the Sox to me.

Even Phil Rogers, as big a proponent of this farce as anybody who recently wrote that U.S. fans simply aren't going to embrace this and why should they? It's not like it's anything meaningful.

Tell you what, if this is such a big deal, so important then why doesn't "Proud to be Your" Bud ORDER every player to participate if asked? If you are going to have this tournament, then you have the best possible teams, not 3rd rate bench warmers.

Lip

amsteel
02-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Amsteel:

You are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine. It's a publicity stunt. Baseball is already very popular in places like Australia, China, Japan, South America and so forth.

Even Phil Rogers, as big a proponent of this farce as anybody who recently wrote that U.S. fans simply aren't going to embrace this and why should they? It's not like it's anything meaningful.

Tell you what, if this is such a big deal, so important then why doesn't "Proud to be Your" Bud ORDER every player to participate if asked? If you are going to have this tournament, then you have the best possible teams, not 3rd rate bench warmers.

Lip

In your opinion whats the difference between the WBC and the World Cup, and Olympic hockey and basketball?

DumpJerry
02-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Carlos Gomez dropped out.
:hawk
I told him it would be great to see him around during Spring Training.

TomBradley72
02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm a big WBC fan- its a very unique version of baseball that draws out the distinct styles of each country- the teams from Cuba, Japan, Korea- are very entertaining and interesting to watch. From the first few WBCs- the USA teams have been some of the more boring teams in the tournament (just my opinion)

I love baseball, and the WBC is the 2nd highest quality level of play in the world (after MLB, but ahead of all other professional/amateur organizations/leagues).

With that said- I'd prefer De Aza not play- he has enough endurance issues over a long season as it is- and I think they are playing at a notch more intensity then they typically are in March-

Lip Man 1
02-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Amsteel:

The difference in Olympic basketball is that if someone gets hurt it's generally in the summer. The NBA isn't playing there is time to heal plus by and large since the Olympics allowed the top NBA players to participate the U.S. has fielded very, very good teams. Not guys out of the D-League.

Olympic hockey there is a risk yes but the top nations are sending their best teams so I accept that.

Have no opinion on the World Cup since I don't follow or care about soccer.

The WBC has no tradition, no history and was a forced idea by Proud to be Your Bud Selig. It's also played at a time when the individual players need to be in camp playing for what really matters, the 162 game regular season in MLB.

That is exactly why owners would never allow the season to close down to allow the top players to play in the Olympics when they still had baseball. What matters is the regular season---not worth getting a guy hurt for a staged exhibition. Owners wouldn't forgo the money from lost games and didn't want to risk injury. They compromised with Bud on this but I know from speaking with some folks in the front office that they don't particularly like the idea.

I won't go so far as to say they discourage players from participating but it's close.

Lip

Mr. Jinx
02-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Amsteel:

Lip

So many of these players play winter ball anyway, what's the difference? Also, no sports league has forced all their stars to play. Come on, we all get that you hate Selig but you're reaching with that.

amsteel
02-22-2013, 04:33 PM
How did the NHL and other top leagues swing it to agree participate in the Olympics? That's played during the regular season and has only included pro players since 1998, right? Fans are wholly on board with that.

Lip, are you saying that if someone not named Bud Selig came up with the exact same idea 50 years ago you'd be more on board with it? I understand the opposition to injury argument, but I don't get the need for 'tradition' (or at least the perception of tradition) in order to enjoy the WBC.

DumpJerry
02-22-2013, 04:34 PM
So many of these players play winter ball anyway, what's the difference?
Very true.

Lip Man 1
02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
In winter ball if a player gets hurt the MLB team isn't obligated to pay his salary are they? Seriously I don't know if this is the case or not since there are times when a MLB team will ask a player to go.

Another factor in the NHL / Olympics is the fact that the larger ice surface and the fact that they do not permit the nonsense that goes on in NHL games reduces the injury risk factor.

Bottom line, I want all White Sox players on the 40 man roster in camp under the eyes of their manager and coaches getting ready for what matters, the regular season with a possible shot in the playoffs.

I don't care if the US wins the World Baseball Classic...I do care about how the Sox do in the regular season and possibly the postseason. That's not so hard to undertsnad is it?

No one is stopping you from enjoying the thrilling China - Australia game, if that tickles your fancy, go for it. I won't waste my time (and as Phil Rogers wrote most Americans aren't either...)

Lip

DSpivack
02-22-2013, 07:43 PM
In winter ball if a player gets hurt the MLB team isn't obligated to pay his salary are they? Seriously I don't know if this is the case or not since there are times when a MLB team will ask a player to go.

Another factor in the NHL / Olympics is the fact that the larger ice surface and the fact that they do not permit the nonsense that goes on in NHL games reduces the injury risk factor.

Bottom line, I want all White Sox players on the 40 man roster in camp under the eyes of their manager and coaches getting ready for what matters, the regular season with a possible shot in the playoffs.

I don't care if the US wins the World Baseball Classic...I do care about how the Sox do in the regular season and possibly the postseason. That's not so hard to undertsnad is it?

No one is stopping you from enjoying the thrilling China - Australia game, if that tickles your fancy, go for it. I won't waste my time (and as Phil Rogers wrote most Americans aren't either...)

Lip

I don't give a **** what that hack Phil Rogers thinks. That said, I do respect your opinion and always wish to hear it.

I guess I'm a real hypocrite when it comes to the WBC. I enjoy watching it, but I'd rather not see Sox players compete in it, either.

TomBradley72
02-23-2013, 01:14 PM
I don't give a **** what that hack Phil Rogers thinks. That said, I do respect your opinion and always wish to hear it.

I guess I'm a real hypocrite when it comes to the WBC. I enjoy watching it, but I'd rather not see Sox players compete in it, either.

Any argument based on Phil Rogers and the fact that "most Americans" aren't interested is a weak argument.

If I believed in Phil Rogers and "popularity"- I'd be a Cubs fan.

China-Australia will be at least as interesting as a midweek Astros-Twins game or other match ups from MLB over the course of a season. The WBC games are a nice way to get a baseball fix while waiting for Opening Day.