PDA

View Full Version : This is too ripe for WSI sarcasm

DumpJerry
02-19-2013, 02:55 PM
The Cubs want to change the music and other in-game forms of entertainment (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-stretch-20130219,0,7801200.story).

Apparently one of the 7th Inning Stretch singers last year went into the booth for his in-game interview and said he hates baseball. Nice.

tebman
02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Apparently one of the 7th Inning Stretch singers last year went into the booth for his in-game interview and said he hates baseball. Nice.

http://cublikeus.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/statlerwaldorf.jpg?w=450&h=301

SOXPHILE
02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
It's funny, because it's a double edged sword /Catch 22 for the Cubs and their fanbase.

Yes, so many many things about the Cubs games are stupid, lame, etc. The Go Cubs Go song, the guest conductor of the 7th inning stretch, and on and on and on. But it's a part of what everyone calls the "Wrigley Experience", along with the rooftops, the weeds on the wall, the old scoreboard, not having a jumbotron (which of course makes the baseball there so much more purer than anywhere else), the grown men standing around on Waveland and Sheffield hoping to catch a homerun. Over the last few years, the Rickets have said it won't be the same old Cubby way at Wrigley, they'll be doing everything they can to modernize and bring more up to date amenities to Wrigley. They're trying to get more nightgames, the whole fight with the rooftop owners, putting an electronic scoreboard in right field, etc.

The thing is, all of these and other lame things that make the "Wrigley Experience" or the "Cubby Experience" are the reason why the Cubs are popular, and rake in the cash from the tourists, yuppies, fratboys and trixies. Stripped of all or many of these things, the Cubs are nothing but a really really lousy baseball team, with the worst history in all four pro sports. Oh what are the poor little Cubbies to do ?

Huisj
02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
If they're looking for a new song to play that has Chicago connections and fits the whole franchise, how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlxH9-TYseY

:D:

DSpivack
02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
If they're looking for a new song to play that has Chicago connections and fits the whole franchise, how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlxH9-TYseY

:D:

"I am an American aquarium drinker/ I assassin down the avenues" might be hitting it too close to home for fans of Mark Grace.

RKMeibalane
02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Reading this reminds me of when Jeff Gordon referred to Wrigley Field as "Wrigley Stadium" during his 7th inning stretch a few years ago.

DumpJerry
02-20-2013, 11:07 PM
You know, after thinking about this story (it's been all over the local media the past couple of days), I have the following thoughts:
1. This is what was missing which kept the Cubs out of the World Series. Now they are The Team of Destiny.
2. When you read number 1 above, then you have to wonder where Ricketts and Theo have their heads. They say they are building a winning team which will compete at the highest level in 3 or 4 or 5 or is it 7? years from now. Why are they concerned with this? They sell 3,000,000 tickets already each season. They cannot focus on what needs to be done to build a winner, they are too focused on the show they put on for the fans who really "don't care if we win or lose, just take me out to the ballgame..."

Glad to see the Sox address important issues like player development-that is what builds a winner.

doublem23
02-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Glad to see the Sox address important issues like player development-that is what builds a winner.

The Cubs looney business decisions are good fodder, but I'm not sure I agree with this point. The Sox basically haven't done anything in terms of player development from this point a year ago; they drafted a good high school hitter who is still years away from reaching the Show and even then, the farm system is still one of the worst in the league; the only thing that saves it from being rock bottom again is that a few other teams promoted some superstar talent out of their systems.

The Cubs, for all their off-field hilarity, actually are building something on the baseball side. Got a good pair of 23-year-olds already in the Majors, arguably a Top 10 farm system that made one of the biggest leaps forward last year, and they hold the #2 overall pick in the 2013 Draft.

Irishsox1
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Whatever they do, they should stop playing that Go Cubs Go song. That song is lame. I know, the Cubs are lame and therefore it's a perfect match and in a way it is the perfect "Cubs win but they still blow" song, but acknowledging it with a cheesy 80's song is just too over the top.

Viva Medias B's
02-22-2013, 08:23 AM
The Cubs looney business decisions are good fodder, but I'm not sure I agree with this point. The Sox basically haven't done anything in terms of player development from this point a year ago; they drafted a good high school hitter who is still years away from reaching the Show and even then, the farm system is still one of the worst in the league; the only thing that saves it from being rock bottom again is that a few other teams promoted some superstar talent out of their systems.

The Cubs, for all their off-field hilarity, actually are building something on the baseball side. Got a good pair of 23-year-olds already in the Majors, arguably a Top 10 farm system that made one of the biggest leaps forward last year, and they hold the #2 overall pick in the 2013 Draft.

Hopefully, the Hahn administration will reverse this trend as far as the Sox' poor farm system is concerned.

Hitmen77
02-23-2013, 03:59 PM

I totally agree. I like to laugh at the Cubs as much as anyone, but at least they are working on shoring up their organization. I'm in no way predicting that Theo will succeed, but at least they're doing something. The Sox seem to have settled in to a recipe for mediocrity.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Cubs make the playoffs before the Sox.

SI1020
02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
I totally agree. I like to laugh at the Cubs as much as anyone, but at least they are working on shoring up their organization. I'm in no way predicting that Theo will succeed, but at least they're doing something. The Sox seem to have settled in to a recipe for mediocrity.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Cubs make the playoffs before the Sox.You think you'll get flamed? If Ricketts and Theo are successful then the Sox might as well leave town. If the Cubs actually do ever win anything, even a pennant, the whole sports world, especially the media will do endless summersaults. Their fans will act like the Cubs have become the Yankees, Boston fans will be nothing compared to it.

RadioheadRocks
02-23-2013, 10:12 PM
You think you'll get flamed? If Ricketts and Theo are successful then the Sox might as well leave town. If the Cubs actually do ever win anything, even a pennant, the whole sports world, especially the media will do endless summersaults. Their fans will act like the Cubs have become the Yankees, Boston fans will be nothing compared to it.

Everyone said the same thing when the Tribune Company, Dallas Green, Jim Frey, Larry Himes, Ed Lynch, Andy McPhail and Jim Hendry took over the front office. Meanwhile the parade goes on...

DrCrawdad
02-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Without any mention of the premature nature, Cubbie manager Dale Phlegm says the Cubbie Cubans are living up to the hype. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-baez-soler-20130224,0,6325991.story)

thomas35forever
02-28-2013, 12:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cubs-ozzy-vanna-ball-game-191023973--mlb.html
I, for one, am surprised at this.

DirtySox
03-01-2013, 05:24 AM
Without any mention of the premature nature, Cubbie manager Dale Phlegm says the Cubbie Cubans are living up to the hype. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-baez-soler-20130224,0,6325991.story)

It's a puff piece talking about two very highly regarded prospects that any team would love to have within their organization. What's the big deal? Am I missing something?

WhiteSox5187
03-01-2013, 12:06 PM
The Cubs are also considering changing their uniform and allegedly, adding a jumbo-tron to Wrigley.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/02/28/source-cubs-seriously-exploring-branding-changes-including-new-logo-new-uniforms-and-a-jumbotron/

Dan H
03-03-2013, 08:12 AM

I know I'll get flamed for this, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Cubs make the playoffs before the Sox.

I agree with you that the Cubs at least have a plan. But if I were a Cubs fan, I'd be sick of hearing this "Hope Springs Eternal" stuff. It has been almost 70 years since the Cubs have appeared in a World Series, and there is no way that Theo can put a happy face on that. All of us Chicago fans have heard about rebuiliding efforts and how many have failed? This one can fail, too.

But you may be right about the Cubs succeeding before the Sox do. This organization has shown a complete lack of direction during the past few years.

SI1020
03-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Everyone said the same thing when the Tribune Company, Dallas Green, Jim Frey, Larry Himes, Ed Lynch, Andy McPhail and Jim Hendry took over the front office. Meanwhile the parade goes on... The parade of ineptitude has gone on, I'll grant you that. However the combination of Tribune ownership and the yuppification of Lake View and surrounding communities has resulted in a Chicago area that tilts decidedly towards the Cubs, when pre Reinsdorf allegiances were much closer to 50/50. Believe it or not for almost two decades it was a Sox town. So if, and it's a very big if, Theo and Co are able to reverse decades of failure it will not bode well for the Sox. I agree with Dan H. The Sox organization has appeared to be directionless in recent years. Hopefully Hahn brings his A+ game because his A game might not be good enough.

DrCrawdad
03-04-2013, 07:40 PM
It's a puff piece talking about two very highly regarded prospects that any team would love to have within their organization. What's the big deal? Am I missing something?

I agree with you that the Cubs at least have a plan. But if I were a Cubs fan, I'd be sick of hearing this "Hope Springs Eternal" stuff. It has been almost 70 years since the Cubs have appeared in a World Series, and there is no way that Theo can put a happy face on that. All of us Chicago fans have heard about rebuiliding efforts and how many have failed? This one can fail, too.

But you may be right about the Cubs succeeding before the Sox do. This organization has shown a complete lack of direction during the past few years.

I agree Dan. But in response to "DirtySox" I think if these same prospects were in the Sox organization and at this very early part of their careers and when basically nothing had been done in ST at that point, posters here would have said the same thing I said.

I'm not ripping the Cubbies prospects. I'm not ripping their hope in them. But it sure was premature to proclaim that they are living up to their hype. When they tear up the minors for a couple years, then yes I'd agree with Dale Phlegm.

soltrain21
03-06-2013, 05:41 PM
I agree Dan. But in response to "DirtySox" I think if these same prospects were in the Sox organization and at this very early part of their careers and when basically nothing had been done in ST at that point, posters here would have said the same thing I said.

I'm not ripping the Cubbies prospects. I'm not ripping their hope in them. But it sure was premature to proclaim that they are living up to their hype. When they tear up the minors for a couple years, then yes I'd agree with Dale Phlegm.

Your stupid nicknames for them don't really help your case.

DrCrawdad
03-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Your stupid nicknames for them don't really help your case.

Enter The Cubbie Defenders! Here in the name of fairness and treating the Cubbies with respect and honor!

soltrain21
03-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Enter The Cubbie Defenders! Here in the name of fairness and treating the Cubbies with respect and honor!

Yes. Because thinking stupid nicknames are stupid totally means I love the Cubs with all my heart.

DrCrawdad
03-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Yes. Because thinking stupid nicknames are stupid totally means I love the Cubs with all my heart.

Never said nor implied that you "... love the Cubbies with all your heart." I can't read your heart. I have read your frequent posts here where you reflexively post comments slamming those who dare to mock the Cubbies.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/headers/score.jpg
What's The Score? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18) (3 Viewing)
Pale Hose conspiracies, runaway rumors and lots of Lovable Loser laments. Check your brain at the door, and "Hey dude, what's the score?"

Who'd think Sox fans would post comments slamming, mocking and using silly names about the Cubbies in a discussion area with a picture of Sammy and Barney on the headline AND a silly name for the Cubbies AND their Sacred ballpark?

If "stupid nicknames are stupid" offend you so much, why do you patrol WTS?

DumpJerry
03-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Enough, both of you.