PDA

View Full Version : Sox have 2 of Jonah Keri's Worst 15 Contracts in baseball

doublem23
02-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Dunn and Danks at 12 and 11 respectively. Can't really argue with that.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8914127/jonah-keri-worst-contracts-mlb

Unfortunately, we only have 1 of the Top 50 most valuable players in baseball right now... http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8627624/rating-players-contracts-major-league-baseball-part-2

SephClone89
02-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Honestly, it's really awesome to see Sale make the list that high, as well as MLBN lists and otherwise. God, I hope he turns out well.

I need a new jersey t-shirt to replace my Beckham one and I want to go with Sale, but I'm worried it's still too early.

LoveYourSuit
02-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Just hoping this Danks injury is a one year thing and nothing nagging for the future.

Sucks for a team who rarely pays long term money to pitchers roll the dice and fail so far with it.

But again, only 1 year.

LoveYourSuit
02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Also, if not for a comeback season last year, Rios would have made that list too.

sullythered
02-11-2013, 10:42 AM
They put Mark Buehrle on the "honorable mentions" list. Until I see some kind of decline, he shouldn't be there.

doublem23
02-11-2013, 11:01 AM
They put Mark Buehrle on the "honorable mentions" list. Until I see some kind of decline, he shouldn't be there.

Well, he's been in more or less rough decline for a few seasons now, but I'm sure it's more in relation to the fact that in 2014 and 2015 he's owed an average of $18.5 M per season which is WAAAAAAAAAY more than Buehrle's probably ever been worth, even at his peak. That's a tough pill to swallow for a to-contact pitcher reentering the American League.

This isn't just "15 Worst Players in Baseball," it's "15 Worst Ratios of Player Value to Amount of Money Owed." Albert Pujols is still one of the best hitters in the game, but the fact that he's owed approximately $300 million until he's in his 40s... Woof.

sullythered
02-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Well, he's been in more or less rough decline for a few seasons now, but I'm sure it's more in relation to the fact that in 2014 and 2015 he's owed an average of $18.5 M per season which is WAAAAAAAAAY more than Buehrle's probably ever been worth, even at his peak. That's a tough pill to swallow for a to-contact pitcher reentering the American League.

This isn't just "15 Worst Players in Baseball," it's "15 Worst Ratios of Player Value to Amount of Money Owed." Albert Pujols is still one of the best hitters in the game, but the fact that he's owed approximately $300 million until he's in his 40s... Woof.

I'll give you that he makes too much, but there just isn't a decline. None of his numbers show decline. He had one outlier somewhat poor season in 2010. Everything else says he is the same pitcher he has been since entering the league. He even got a significant bump, statistically from going to the NL, in both WHIP and K/BB ratio, so I don't see why his returning to the AL makes any difference. He is one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball, and probably the most durable one I've ever seen. Dude has pitched 200+ innings in 12 consecutive seasons. Yeah, he's somewhat overpaid, but not enough to be included here.

Irishsox1
02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Fact: Older players get the biggest contracts. Fact: Older players get older. Fact: Older players get injured more often.

Conclusion: Big contracts for older players who get injured more often are considered bad contracts.

Got it. Now just don't let the Yankees, Dodgers or Angels see this.

SephClone89
02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Fact: Older players get the biggest contracts. Fact: Older players get older. Fact: Older players get injured more often.

Conclusion: Big contracts for older players who get injured more often are considered bad contracts.

Got it. Now just don't let the Yankees, Dodgers or Angels see this.

The trend is locking guys up so that they don't hit free agency at 30-31, because signing superstars at 32 is literally the least efficient way to build a team.

blandman
02-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Danks will be fine, just probably not this year. I'm not worried about that contract...yet.

Mr. Jinx
02-11-2013, 01:22 PM
What's funny is that baseball is the only sport of the big 4 where even the worst contracts can still get moved. If guys like Vernon Wells, Carl Crawford, and Alex Rios can all get moved with their boat anchor contracts, anyone can.

DSpivack
02-11-2013, 01:31 PM
What's funny is that baseball is the only sport of the big 4 where even the worst contracts can still get moved. If guys like Vernon Wells, Carl Crawford, and Alex Rios can all get moved with their boat anchor contracts, anyone can.

That's because baseball has no salary cap, and NFL contracts aren't guaranteed.

Noneck
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
That's because baseball has no salary cap, and NFL contracts aren't guaranteed.

Also MLB owners are not hurting and can afford the salt and peppering it may take to take on a bad contract, to give your team a chance to win. Yea, the NFL owners could do the same, but they dont have to.

shingo10
02-11-2013, 02:10 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous to put the Danks contract on that list. It hasn't even come close to playing out. Stupid. Might as well put Peavy's new contract on there too.

chicagowhitesox1
02-11-2013, 02:10 PM
I'll give you that he makes too much, but there just isn't a decline. None of his numbers show decline. He had one outlier somewhat poor season in 2010. Everything else says he is the same pitcher he has been since entering the league. He even got a significant bump, statistically from going to the NL, in both WHIP and K/BB ratio, so I don't see why his returning to the AL makes any difference. He is one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball, and probably the most durable one I've ever seen. Dude has pitched 200+ innings in 12 consecutive seasons. Yeah, he's somewhat overpaid, but not enough to be included here.

I read an article a few months ago about how Buerhle has a shot at the Hall of Fame. Seems like a longshot but he has put up consistent numbers even when he ends up going 13-13. It's pretty amazing how he's still pretty young and is already at 48.9 career war. A pitcher who reaches a 60.0 war is usually a lock for the Hall of Fame. Buerhle is a interesting case because he's never put up a lights out type of season just consistent seasons so he may get overlooked when it's time for his hof chances.

Roy Halladay 63.6 war, age 36...He's a lock for hof.
Tim Hudson 51.1 war, age 37...age is catching up to him.
CC Sabathia 51.0 war age 32....He's probably going to make the hof.
Mark Buerhle 48.9 war age 34
Johan Santana 48.6 war age 34.....I think Buerhle will be better in the next 3-4 years.
Roy Oswalt 48.5 war age 35....I can't see him ever being very good again.

kittle42
02-11-2013, 02:19 PM
I read an article a few months ago about how Buerhle has a shot at the Hall of Fame. Seems like a longshot but he has put up consistent numbers even when he ends up going 13-13.

Highly unlikely per baseball-reference.com's indicators:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/buehrma01.shtml

DeadMoney
02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I read an article a few months ago about how Buerhle has a shot at the Hall of Fame. Seems like a longshot but he has put up consistent numbers even when he ends up going 13-13. It's pretty amazing how he's still pretty young and is already at 48.9 career war. A pitcher who reaches a 60.0 war is usually a lock for the Hall of Fame. Buerhle is a interesting case because he's never put up a lights out type of season just consistent seasons so he may get overlooked when it's time for his hof chances.

Roy Halladay 63.6 war, age 36...He's a lock for hof.
Tim Hudson 51.1 war, age 37...age is catching up to him.
CC Sabathia 51.0 war age 32....He's probably going to make the hof.
Mark Buerhle 48.9 war age 34
Johan Santana 48.6 war age 34.....I think Buerhle will be better in the next 3-4 years.
Roy Oswalt 48.5 war age 35....I can't see him ever being very good again.

IMO, Buehrle can hang out with Billy Pierce in the Hall of Damn Good, since both will just miss the Hall of Fame. In fact, in a few years you'll probably be able to replace Pierce's name with Buehrle's in a piece like this (http://baseballpastandpresent.com/2012/05/22/belong-hall-fame-billy-pierce/) and it'll still fit (interestingly enough, both guys have an ERA+ of 119).

SephClone89
02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
IMO, Buehrle can hang out with Billy Pierce in the Hall of Damn Good, since both will just miss the Hall of Fame. In fact, in a few years you'll probably be able to replace Pierce's name with Buehrle's in a piece like this (http://baseballpastandpresent.com/2012/05/22/belong-hall-fame-billy-pierce/) and it'll still fit (interestingly enough, both guys have an ERA+ of 119).

The difference is that Pierce was an elite AL pitcher in his prime. Buehrle, for as great as his career has been, was never really that.

Lip Man 1
02-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Dead:

At various times in the 1950's, Billy led the American League in the following categories:

Wins
ERA
Strikeouts
Complete Games

Threw four one hitters, made seven All Star selections, started three All Star Games. Two time Sporting News pitcher of the year.

Mark is a very good consistent pitcher, but he's no Billy Pierce...who should be in the Hall of Fame.

Lip

TheVulture
02-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Dead:

At various times in the 1950's, Billy led the American League in the following categories:

Wins
ERA
Strikeouts
Complete Games

Threw four one hitters, made seven All Star selections, started three All Star Games. Two time Sporting News pitcher of the year.

Mark is a very good consistent pitcher, but he's no Billy Pierce...who should be in the Hall of Fame.

Lip

The only thing separating Pierce and Buehrle is Pierce's 1955 season. Sure, Pierce's 1952 season, for example, looks better to the naked eye with a 2.57 ERA, but let's consider the era. That resulted in an era+ of 142, comparable to Buehrle's 2005 season when he had a 147 era+ despite an ERA more than half a run higher. Pierce's 1958 season with a 2.68 ERA compares to Buehrle's 2000 - 140 for Buehrle and 137 for Pierce. Buehrle has had nine 120 era+ season vs. only six for Pierce. Buehrle has nothing comparable to Pierce's 1955 season though.

chicagowhitesox1
02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Highly unlikely per baseball-reference.com's indicators:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/buehrma01.shtml

If he has 3 or 4 more seasons with 3.2 war, I think voters will end up looking at him alot different and realize he's comparable to other hofers especially since voters of the future will be younger saber stat lovers.

chicagowhitesox1
02-11-2013, 04:10 PM

It's strange how Billy Pierce was just as good as Whitey Ford and Mark Buerhle is just as good as Andy Pettite.

doublem23
02-11-2013, 04:14 PM
If he has 3 or 4 more seasons with 3.2 war, I think voters will end up looking at him alot different and realize he's comparable to other hofers especially since voters of the future will be younger saber stat lovers.

Buehrle's not going to be eligible in the 2050's, I would suspect most of BBWAA's membership will still be the same dimwits that are there now, not that it matters as Buehrle is not really a sabermetrician's dream, anyway... He gives up a lot of hits and doesn't strike anybody out.

I sincerely doubt Buehrle will ever make the HOF, but probably the only thing he really has going for him is that he's never been suspected of 'roiding.

chicagowhitesox1
02-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Buehrle's not going to be eligible in the 2050's, I would suspect most of BBWAA's membership will still be the same dimwits that are there now, not that it matters as Buehrle is not really a sabermetrician's dream, anyway... He gives up a lot of hits and doesn't strike anybody out.

I sincerely doubt Buehrle will ever make the HOF, but probably the only thing he really has going for him is that he's never been suspected of 'roiding.

In my opinion it's already starting to change, ten years ago there would be no way a pitcher with a 13-12 record could win a Cy Young but Felix Hernandez won it a few years ago with a 13-12 record. Blyleven had no chance of getting in 10-15 years ago but the saber lovers made a good argument helping him finally get in. 10-15 years in the future will more tha likely be even more saber heavy.

kittle42
02-11-2013, 04:49 PM
In my opinion it's already starting to change, ten years ago there would be no way a pitcher with a 13-12 record could win a Cy Young but Felix Hernandez won it a few years ago with a 13-12 record. Blyleven had no chance of getting in 10-15 years ago but the saber lovers made a good argument helping him finally get in. 10-15 years in the future will more tha likely be even more saber heavy.

But, as explained, Buehrle is really not that much of a saber guy. Set aside wins completely, and his numbers still don't come close.

I think that if you mentioned to a fan of any other team in the majors that you thought Mark Buehrle could be a HOF guy, they'd think you were crazy.

doublem23
02-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Right, and that's all good, but you're apparently mistaking the fact that sabermetric folk don't much care for W-L record with the notion that sabermetric folk value having an average W-L record. Felix didn't win the Cy Young because they looked at his record and were like, "13-12? HIT THAT ****!" They genuinely didn't care what his record was because his supporting numbers were so dominant, your brain would have to be filled with rotting cheese to have voted for someone else. Similarly with Blyleven, it wasn't that they came around and creamed their pants over his +37 W-L record, it's that they came around to their senses and noted, ****, this guy that has the 5th most strikeouts of all time and 12th best WAR for P probably should be in the Hall of Fame regardless of this random number that is highly influenced by his teammates when he's either A) not on the mound or B) already pulled from the game and essentially is a completely worthless metric for pitcher evaluation. None of these would help Buehrle, whose volume of work just isn't remarkable outside of his durability.

Also, before we get to far ahead of ourselves in the Saber vs. Traditionalist War, remember the BBWAA gave the AL MVP last season to Miguel Cabrera despite the fact it's essentially impossible to show he had a better season than Mike Trout, other than leading the league in 3 offensive categories, 2 of which are basically useless unless you've been holding your fingers in your ears and singing during the last 20 or so years of baseball research.

chicagowhitesox1
02-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I agree with both posts mentioned above. I guess I find it interesting how Buerhle will be viewed if he does end up with 4 more decent seasons. I never thought of him as a hofer but he might have a good argument someday. I would have to think that the 2005 team would have at least one player who gets in. (excluding Frank Thomas because he wasn't on the WS roster) But who else would it be? I would like to think Konerko gets in but he's probably gonna get dinged for being a firstbasemen. Mark Buerhle might get points for being a member of that team which won Chicagos first WS in 87 years.

Sorry I kinda went off course on this.

Brian26
02-11-2013, 08:41 PM
I would have to think that the 2005 team would have at least one player who gets in.

Not necessarily. Konerko and Buehrle have slim chances, but really there's nobody else on the team that is worthy.

That's what made the 05 White Sox a great team...one of the greatest ever. They were much greater than the sum of their individual parts that season.

DSpivack
02-11-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree with both posts mentioned above. I guess I find it interesting how Buerhle will be viewed if he does end up with 4 more decent seasons. I never thought of him as a hofer but he might have a good argument someday. I would have to think that the 2005 team would have at least one player who gets in. (excluding Frank Thomas because he wasn't on the WS roster) But who else would it be? I would like to think Konerko gets in but he's probably gonna get dinged for being a firstbasemen. Mark Buerhle might get points for being a member of that team which won Chicagos first WS in 87 years.

Sorry I kinda went off course on this.

Not necessarily. Konerko and Buehrle have slim chances, but really there's nobody else on the team that is worthy.

That's what made the 05 White Sox a great team...one of the greatest ever. They were much greater than the sum of their individual parts that season.

Big Frank may not have been able to play in the playoffs, but he did carry the offense in June, ending up with 12 HRs. :cool:

Brian26
02-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Big Frank may not have been able to play in the playoffs, but he did carry the offense in June, ending up with 12 HRs. :cool:

Frank's an automatic HOFer, and you're correct about his superhuman June.

shes
02-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Buehrle only sniffs the Hall if he knocks on the door of 300 wins, which he isn't doing unless he pitches into his mid-forties. Granted, of anyone pitching right now, he has the best chance of being another Jamie Moyer given his durability, mechanics, and junkballing. I highly doubt Buehrle wants to pitch another 10 years, though.

He'll end up with around 230 wins, at least one WS ring, and a statue at the Cell. Pretty damn good for a guy that wasn't touted at all coming into the league.

Noneck
02-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Buehrle only sniffs the Hall if he knocks on the door of 300 wins, which he isn't doing unless he pitches into his mid-forties. Granted, of anyone pitching right now, he has the best chance of being another Jamie Moyer given his durability, mechanics, and junkballing. I highly doubt Buehrle wants to pitch another 10 years, though.

He'll end up with around 230 wins, at least one WS ring, and a statue at the Cell. Pretty damn good for a guy that wasn't touted at all coming into the league.

And dont forget he will walk from the game making around 150M.

sullythered
02-12-2013, 12:33 AM
I don't think Mark will make the hall of fame, but he is a pretty interesting case. While never the best pitcher in any of his years, he is, by far, the most consistently good for a kinda crazy amount of time, relative to his era. He's sort of an anomaly. I wouldn't know who to compare him to, as far as contemporary pitchers go, because none of them have sniffed his level of durability. It's really amazing. Burls has 12 straight 200+, and who's the next longest streak of the era? Livan Hernandez? And his was like 6 or 7?

chicagowhitesox1
02-12-2013, 12:38 AM
I know it's a longshot for him but if he somehow gets another ring as a main contributer on another World Series team then that could increase his chances but he's still going to need at least 4 good years. If he can average 12 wins a year until he's 39 with his usual 3.0 war then I can see a very good argument for him. If that all fell into place which is very possible then he would have close to 250 wins and a war of around 70. He might not have the exciting stats of Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Clayton Kershaw and David Price but odds are at least two of them will fizzle out. I think Buerhles consistency may help get him in.

I doubt Buerhle pitches much longer though so i'm sure none of this comes close to happening. I'm just hoping it does.

chicagowhitesox1
02-12-2013, 12:47 AM
I don't think Mark will make the hall of fame, but he is a pretty interesting case. While never the best pitcher in any of his years, he is, by far, the most consistently good for a kinda crazy amount of time, relative to his era. He's sort of an anomaly. I wouldn't know who to compare him to, as far as contemporary pitchers go, because none of them have sniffed his level of durability. It's really amazing. Burls has 12 straight 200+, and who's the next longest streak of the era? Livan Hernandez? And his was like 6 or 7?

I hate to say it but I bet Buerhle will be remembered as a Rick Reuschel or Frank Tanana type of pitcher which shouldn't happen but probably will.

Lip Man 1
02-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Nothing wrong with being compared to either of those guys, they were both pretty damn good especially Tanana before he hurt his arm.

Lip

chicagowhitesox1
02-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Nothing wrong with being compared to either of those guys, they were both pretty damn good especially Tanana before he hurt his arm.

Lip

Both were really good even after their arm injurys but I doubt too many will ever think of them as hofers even though they were better than at least 15 guys already in the Hall of Fame.

mahagga73
02-12-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure where Dunn is that bad a contract. He produces Runs and RBI's at a clip well above league average usually , at least last year. He gets paid a ton, but I don't remember many complaints when we got him . I was happy with it. Danks contract was an eyebrow raiser , I never thought he should have got that kind of money for pretty average career numbers and performance. But I have heard , for the sabermetric people , he has WAR well above average for his spot in the rotation and for a lefthanded pitcher. I didn't like that contract at all at the time and still don't. He gets paid like a top flight pitcher and he doesn't perform like one in my opinion. If he gets injured again, that contract is going to be a disaster.

asindc
02-12-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure where Dunn is that bad a contract. He produces Runs and RBI's at a clip well above league average usually , at least last year. He gets paid a ton, but I don't remember many complaints when we got him . I was happy with it. Danks contract was an eyebrow raiser , I never thought he should hve got tha kind of money for pretty average career numbers and performance. But I have heard , for the sabermetric people , he has WAR well above average for his spot in the rotation and for a lefthanded pitcher. i didn't like that contract at all at the time and still don't. He gets paid like a top flight pitcher and he doesn't perform like one in my opinion. If he gets injured again, that contract is going to be a disaster.

I have an opposite viewpoint. Keri seems to include Danks in his bottom mainly based on the uncertainty that he will perform close to pre-injury levels, while Dunn's inclusion is based on a two-year decline (not in HR and RBI, of course, but in every other offensive category) at the age of 33. I think Danks will come closer to earning his salary than Dunn will, especially when you factor in defense (and why wouldn't you?).

mahagga73
02-12-2013, 12:08 PM
I have an opposite viewpoint. Keri seems to include Danks in his bottom mainly based on the uncertainty that he will perform close to pre-injury levels, while Dunn's inclusion is based on a two-year decline (not in HR and RBI, of course, but in every other offensive category) at the age of 33. I think Danks will come closer to earning his salary than Dunn will, especially when you factor in defense (and why wouldn't you?).
Yeah I can see that. didn't factor in age and all that for Dunn.

SoxFanCPA
02-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Honestly, it's really awesome to see Sale make the list that high, as well as MLBN lists and otherwise. God, I hope he turns out well.

I need a new jersey t-shirt to replace my Beckham one and I want to go with Sale, but I'm worried it's still too early.

It wasn't too early to get Beckham's?

Frater Perdurabo
02-12-2013, 03:56 PM
As others have said, I am not that concerned about the contracts right now, given that over the next few years the big deals will come off our books.

I am more concerned that the Sox have enough talent coming through the system, both currently in the minors and young players on the roster, to replace the aging expensive veterans as they leave.

blandman
02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure where Dunn is that bad a contract. He produces Runs and RBI's at a clip well above league average usually , at least last year. He gets paid a ton, but I don't remember many complaints when we got him . I was happy with it. Danks contract was an eyebrow raiser , I never thought he should have got that kind of money for pretty average career numbers and performance. But I have heard , for the sabermetric people , he has WAR well above average for his spot in the rotation and for a lefthanded pitcher. I didn't like that contract at all at the time and still don't. He gets paid like a top flight pitcher and he doesn't perform like one in my opinion. If he gets injured again, that contract is going to be a disaster.

mahagga I think the point on Dunn was also that his production can be achieved/close to achieved at the DH spot by guys that can be signed to minor league deals now. Not that they don't deserve more, but execs are now spending more on players with multiple tools and paying very little to one and two dimensional sluggers.

TDog
02-12-2013, 05:03 PM

I think there are a lot of pitching contracts that are worse than Danks'. If you are going to go with uncertaintly of future performance, there could be a lot more. Pitching is such a fragile commodity that there are pitchers who appear to be signed to good contracts now who will be hurt in 2013 and become huge financial burdens on their team. The anti-Cubs bias here will cloud opinions, but look at how abrubtly objective baseball opinions changed in considering Mark Prior's Cubs contract.

I though Dunn's contract was one of the worst in baseball the day it was signed because I think basesball, winning baseball anyway, has been evolving away from what he brings to the game. He isn't even a very good run producer considering that in two years in the American League he has been his team's worst regular hitter with runners in scoring position. I hope that doesn't continue, but I think that will continue as long as he doesn't work on making more contact.

BRDSR
02-12-2013, 06:37 PM

I'm the biggest Buerhle fan around, and I agree. To make the HoF, What he lacks in dominance he needs to make up for in durability. And I believe he has indicated in the past that he doesn't intend to play as long as he might be able to. Unless he plays Moyer-type years, he probably won't have the cumulative numbers to overcome his lack of dominance.