PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle's family to stay in St. Louis due to pit bull ban in Ontario

Nellie_Fox
02-07-2013, 02:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8921726/outlawed-pit-bull-keep-mark-buehrle-away-family

Irishsox1
02-07-2013, 02:52 PM
His oldest kid is 5 so he'll be starting kindergarten this year, that's the reason they are staying in St. Louis but the dog issue makes it easier.

He's going to pitch 3 more years then retire back to Missouri.

DumpJerry
02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Further proof that he intends to sign with Cardinals!!!!!!

beasly213
02-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Pit Bull bans are so ridiculious.

Nellie_Fox
02-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Pit Bull bans are so ridiculious.I agree, but be careful that we don't let this lead us into political discussions.

Noneck
02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Not living with your 2 young kids for 6 months over a dog is strange in my eyes but to each his own.

Hitmen77
02-07-2013, 03:49 PM
That's the price of giving up your 10/5 no-trade rights and signing a huge contract.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8661291/mark-buehrle-says-miami-marlins-lied-multiple-occasions

Then again, JR reportedly told him to leave and take the Miami deal.

Frater Perdurabo
02-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I agree, but be careful that we don't let this lead us into political discussions.

No politics here; it is personal for me. I am furious with my sister for putting her two mixed pit bulls (one of which is deaf) ahead of her own son. I love my sister, but I think she is stupid and unwise for her slavish attention to the dogs over her own kid. I hope Buehrle isn't as much of an idiot as my sister is about the dogs' spot in the family hierarchy.

bigsoxfan420
02-07-2013, 04:31 PM
His oldest kid is 5 so he'll be starting kindergarten this year, that's the reason they are staying in St. Louis but the dog issue makes it easier.

He's going to pitch 3 more years then retire back to Missouri.

Oh that's right, they don't have school's in Ontario.

doublem23
02-07-2013, 04:38 PM

OBVIOUSLY, the OP meant that his folks probably don't want to have to to move their kids from school to school especially considering the Buehrles have no contractual guarantee Mark will be spending the next 3 seasons in Toronto.

Plenty of ballplayers have been able to raise their kids despite spending the majority of time on the road even in the days before commercial air travel and athletes were paid salaries that absolutely dwarfed 99.9% of Americans.

bigsoxfan420
02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
OBVIOUSLY, the OP meant that his folks probably don't want to have to to move their kids from school to school especially considering the Buehrles have no contractual guarantee Mark will be spending the next 3 seasons in Toronto.

Plenty of ballplayers have been able to raise their kids despite spending the majority of time on the road even in the days before commercial air travel and athletes were paid salaries that absolutely dwarfed 99.9% of Americans.

Yeah, that makes sense, but I think he was trying to subtly tell us that he can read minds. Also, reddit much?

Mr. Jinx
02-07-2013, 06:13 PM

Yeah, no one should be crying tears over this. There are plenty of families out there where mom or dad has to work remotely for long stretches of time and somehow everyone still turns out alright.

DSpivack
02-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Not living with your 2 young kids for 6 months over a dog is strange in my eyes but to each his own.

Maybe the kids like dog more than dad. :tongue:

LITTLE NELL
02-07-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm still upset that Buerhle is not still with us. Hindsight is always 20-20 but you have to wonder if Mark wishes that something could have been worked out with JR and he was still in a Sox uniform. He can't be real happy with his second move in 2 years. I guess he made his own bed and now has to sleep in it.

DSpivack
02-07-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm still upset that Buerhle is not still with us. Hindsight is always 20-20 but you have to wonder if Mark wishes that something could have been worked out with JR and he was still in a Sox uniform. He can't be real happy with his second move in 2 years. I guess he made his own bed and now has to sleep in it.

Well, he didn't get an offer from the Sox and JR told him to take the Marlins' deal.

LITTLE NELL
02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Well, he didn't get an offer from the Sox and JR told him to take the Marlins' deal.

From what I read JR was thinking of 3 years at 10 million a year but when the Marlins offered that big contract JR told him to jump at it.

Noneck
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM

Whats Reinsdorf going to do when hes not even going to come close to what miami was willing to pay? Degrade him by reminding him of something he should already know, of how much that 10/5 might mean down the line? So he says, take the deal and good luck.

voodoochile
02-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Maybe the kids like dog more than dad. :tongue:

A fair point. Also, telling a 5 year old he has to give up his dog because daddy has to live where they can't have that type of dog is kind of tough.

I'm sure the kids want to see Daddy as much as any kid does, but maybe they are willing to sacrifice some dad time to keep the pets they love.

RKMeibalane
02-07-2013, 10:22 PM

You're telling me.

Noneck
02-07-2013, 10:55 PM
A fair point. Also, telling a 5 year old he has to give up his dog because daddy has to live where they can't have that type of dog is kind of tough.

I'm sure the kids want to see Daddy as much as any kid does, but maybe they are willing to sacrifice some dad time to keep the pets they love.

I took Dspivacks comment as a sarcastic one. I dont take yours as one and its amazing you are serious about this. The kids give up next to nothing, the dog can be cared for at the St. Louis home and with that kind of family money, the kids can visit the dog while dad is on the road. Makes a heck of a lot more sense than a father not seeing his children and vice versa for a baseball season.

doublem23
02-07-2013, 11:16 PM

There's several millions and an extra year of reasons I doubt he does

DSpivack
02-07-2013, 11:23 PM
I took Dspivacks comment as a sarcastic one. I dont take yours as one and its amazing you are serious about this. The kids give up next to nothing, the dog can be cared for at the St. Louis home and with that kind of family money, the kids can visit the dog while dad is on the road. Makes a heck of a lot more sense than a father not seeing his children and vice versa for a baseball season.

Half-serious, half-joking, wasn't meant to be completely sarcastic. Considering that the baseball off-season is during the school year, Buehrle should be able to be in St. Louis with family and dogs during the winter. Paulie and many other players (whether from the area or not, as Konerko is) live in places like Phoenix during the offseason, anyway, no? I just think that being an athlete is a unique job, traveling during half the year and then being off for a few months in the offseason.

Noneck
02-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Half-serious, half-joking, wasn't meant to be completely sarcastic. Considering that the baseball off-season is during the school year, Buehrle should be able to be in St. Louis with family and dogs during the winter. Paulie and many other players (whether from the area or not, as Konerko is) live in places like Phoenix during the offseason, anyway, no? I just think that being an athlete is a unique job, traveling during half the year and then being off for a few months in the offseason.

I am not sure about Konerko or the ages of his kids. I know if I had the money these guys have, my family would live in the city where I play and in the permanent residence in the off season. Of course ages of kids would change this but at the ages of 3 and 5, I would want them in the city where I play.

DSpivack
02-07-2013, 11:40 PM
I am not sure about Konerko or the ages of his kids. I know if I had the money these guys have, my family would live in the city where I play and in the permanent residence in the off season. Of course ages of kids would change this but at the ages of 3 and 5, I would want them in the city where I play.

If you live elsewhere in the offseason, and the kids are school-age, then that leaves just a couple months in the summer, as opposed to the 6-month long baseball season.

Noneck
02-07-2013, 11:46 PM
If you live elsewhere in the offseason, and the kids are school-age, then that leaves just a couple months in the summer, as opposed to the 6-month long baseball season.

Yes thats why I said the ages of kids matter.

DSpivack
02-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Yes thats why I said the ages of kids matter.

Read right past that, sorry.

Steelrod
02-09-2013, 01:40 PM
It was reported that he said that he was being overpaid and if it's about money, take it.
Hard to believe even now that Mark took money over comfort. Based on his lifestyle, he had more money than he would ever need 8-9 years earlier. But I don't blame him if the most money was the goal.

LITTLE NELL
02-09-2013, 01:56 PM
It was reported that he said that he was being overpaid and if it's about money, take it.
Hard to believe even now that Mark took money over comfort. Based on his lifestyle, he had more money than he would ever need 8-9 years earlier. But I don't blame him if the most money was the goal.

Based on previous statements by Buerhle he always said the money was not that important, well I guess it was.

Mr. Jinx
02-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Based on previous statements by Buerhle he always said the money was not that important, well I guess it was.

As well it should be. He would have been an idiot to take the Sox supposed offer over the Marlins. We aren't talking a few bucks here.

WLL1855
02-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Hey, the guy is now playing for a team that is a serious contender for the AL East. Not exactly the worst possible outcome for a career.

He'll be OK. I'll be glad to give him my applause the next time I see him on the hill in our park.

TomBradley72
02-16-2013, 06:38 PM
The season is 6 months long- he's on the road 3 months no matter what- so all in all- he's giving up 3 months or 12 weeks of time with his family- a lot of people travel 12 weeks/year for their jobs.

I still don't get why he's not a Cardinal.