PDA

View Full Version : Mark Grace heading to jail

thomas35forever
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/31/mark-grace-sentenced-to-4-months-in-jail-for-dui/
You act stupid, you pay the price.

WhiteSox5187
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
I hope he gets the help he needs, he was one of my favorite players growing up.

MUsoxfan
01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Arizona doesn't **** around with DUIs

RKMeibalane
01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't know why, but the song "Still the Same" has always reminded me of Grace.

HjDpKeiYxOU

ZombieRob
01-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Overall a great guy. Was a known party goer while here. Hope he gets it together. Man after all stole Janine Turner away from Aikman

kobo
01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Arizona doesn't **** around with DUIs
Four months in jail and 2 years of probation for his 2nd DUI in a 15 month span is considered not ****ing around? And he gets to leave jail to go work. Doesn't seem all that harsh to me.

ZombieRob
01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Four months in jail and 2 years of probation for his 2nd DUI in a 15 month span is considered not ****ing around? And he gets to leave jail to go work. Doesn't seem all that harsh to me.
Was going to say, here you're screwed. Ever go to traffic court and listen to the DUI's? Sure makes me not to want to drink or drive. Plus they have to sit in Cook co Jail all that time Noooway

chicagowhitesox1
01-31-2013, 05:33 PM

Four months in jail may not seem long but when you actually do 4 months it's like forever. I think the most important thing here is that he gets treatment and education.

Wedema
01-31-2013, 05:33 PM
I met Grace in the Bullpen Sports Bar after a Sox-Cubs game when he was still playing for the Cubs. He was smoking cigarettes, drinking beer, and signing autographs for the fans.

Noneck
01-31-2013, 05:59 PM
I met Grace in the Bullpen Sports Bar after a Sox-Cubs game when he was still playing for the Cubs. He was smoking cigarettes, drinking beer, and signing autographs for the fans.

Sounds like a good time for all. Ive also heard hes a nice guy, hope hes able to straighten things out now.

johnnyg83
01-31-2013, 06:25 PM

It's way harsh. There are many fools who do much much much worse who get much much much less.

Viva Medias B's
01-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Where does he work? The Diamondbacks fired him from the broadcast booth after the second DUI.

RKMeibalane
01-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Where does he work? The Diamondbacks fired him from the broadcast booth after the second DUI.

Doesn't he do occasional Saturday games for Fox?

chicagowhitesox1
01-31-2013, 09:40 PM

He's a coach for the Diamondbacks. He gets 12 hours off a day for work and then spends the rest of his day in the county jail.

I think he's more of an assistant helping younger players.

SoxNation05
01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
He's a coach for the Diamondbacks. He gets 12 hours off a day for work and then spends the rest of his day in the county jail.

I think he's more of an assistant helping younger players.

That sounds like a sleepover to me.

Brian26
01-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Overall a great guy. Was a known party goer while here. Hope he gets it together. Man after all stole Janine Turner away from Aikman

Don't forget Lauren Holly. No slumpbuster there.

TDog
02-01-2013, 12:18 AM

It's relative. When I worked there, Arizona had a mandatory day in jail and a license suspension for the first DUI and increasing mandatory jail time, to the point where Maricopa County had to build a fairly large jail complex in tents in the desert. Plea bargaining was forbidden, which angered attorneys. I'm not sure anymore where it becomes a felony with mandatory prison time. When I moved to Wisconsin, I saw people getting license suspensions and community service sentences with their eighth convictions. Maybe they had good lawyers, though.

Of course, in Arizona, DUI is a criminal offense, either misdemeanor or felony, as opposed to a traffic violation, so a conviction affects more than points against your license.

It was surprising as Arizona increaesd their DUI penalties to see that there were still large numbers of people driving drunk. You would think the penalties would be a deterent. There were some in the Legislature that argued the increased penalties were creating a financial hardship on state and county governments. But the mandatory fines are big too.

ComiskeyBrewer
02-01-2013, 03:44 AM
When I moved to Wisconsin, I saw people getting license suspensions and community service sentences with their eighth convictions. Maybe they had good lawyers, though.

They must have(or the laws have been changed), Wisconsin currently has a 3-10 year sentence for 7th-8th-9th OWI charges. However, the tiers below that are surprisingly lax(You can get as little as 6 months for a 5th DUI).

TDog
02-01-2013, 04:21 PM
They must have(or the laws have been changed), Wisconsin currently has a 3-10 year sentence for 7th-8th-9th OWI charges. However, the tiers below that are surprisingly lax(You can get as little as 6 months for a 5th DUI).

The Wisconsin drunk-driving sentences I was referencing go back a decade or more. I left the state in 2003. What surprised me when I moved there was the difference in attitude toward drunk drivers in Wisconsin, as if everyone does it and the people getting caught were just unlucky. I'm glad to see attitudes have changed.

There are many who will never take drunk driving seriously, though. I read that publicans (pub owners) in Ireland are lobbying to made drunk driving legal outside of the cities becuase rural pubs are suffering economically. I'm not sure what at what threshold someone is presemed drunk in the Republic of Ireland because it is expressed in different terms than in the U.S., but Northern Ireland, I have read, has a threshold of .35 percent.

doublem23
02-01-2013, 04:39 PM
There are many who will never take drunk driving seriously, though. I read that publicans (pub owners) in Ireland are lobbying to made drunk driving legal outside of the cities becuase rural pubs are suffering economically. I'm not sure what at what threshold someone is presemed drunk in the Republic of Ireland because it is expressed in different terms than in the U.S., but Northern Ireland, I have read, has a threshold of .35 percent.

You don't even have to look across the pond...

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/31/montana-rep-alan-hale-says-dui-laws-are-destroying-a-way-of-li/

TheVulture
02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Don't forget Lauren Holly. No slumpbuster there.
Lauren Holly and Janine Turner, eh? The man has taste, I'll give him that.

Nellie_Fox
02-02-2013, 01:06 AM
I'm not sure what at what threshold someone is presumed drunk in the Republic of Ireland because it is expressed in different terms than in the U.S., but Northern Ireland, I have read, has a threshold of .35 percent.80 mg per 100 mL of blood equals .08, same as here.

Irishsoxfan
02-02-2013, 04:04 AM
80 mg per 100 mL of blood equals .08, same as here.
Actually we have changed it here recently to 50mg for fully licensed drivers and 20mg for those on provisional licenses.. Thankfully the proposal by a very small amount of local councillors, most of whom are also publicans was given very short shrift.