PDA

View Full Version : Crede Questions: Errors? Comparison to Rolen?

DrCrawdad
07-30-2002, 03:01 PM
I read today that Joe Crede is a terrific fielding 3rd baseman and that he had 15 errors so far this season at AAA.

Now I've only seen a little of Crede's work at 3rd so far. I saw a game when Crede played 3rd against the Cubs in the preseason. Crede impressed me with his plays at 3rd. IIRC Santo commented very positively about Crede as well. However, what's with the 15 errors? They can't all be chalked up to poor AAA infields, can they?

With all the talk about Rolen I was wondering how Rolen and Crede compare? What kind of numbers did Rolen put up at AAA? Not saying that I expect that Crede is better than Rolen but I'm just wondering how they compare.

- DrCrawdad.

Randar68
07-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
With all the talk about Rolen I was wondering how Rolen and Crede compare? What kind of numbers did Rolen put up at AAA? Not saying that I expect that Crede is better than Rolen but I'm just wondering how they compare.[/B]

Well, IMO, Rolen has/had a bit more power and was a bit more patient at the plate. However, I also think Joe hits the ball HARD to RF as well as any 3B in the majors. In terms of D, I think Crede is a bit more error-prone, but he gets to a ton of balls (not say he gets to more than Rolen). I would also note Joe is probably a bit less fleet foot than Rolen and doesn't pop up from diving stops quite as quick.

All of this said, I think he will be one of the top 3 or so, defensive 3rd basemen in the AL from day 1.

34rancher
07-30-2002, 03:11 PM
I just hope that everyone is patient with him. REMEMBER, he has no options left. He is here for good. Remember, that he is going to have good days and bad days. So everyone play nice.

doublem23
07-30-2002, 03:11 PM
Way back when, Andrew Ritchie wrote a good column on Crede and his potential. A good read (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=182), IMO.

Iwritecode
07-30-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
I just hope that everyone is patient with him. REMEMBER, he has no options left. He is here for good. Remember, that he is going to have good days and bad days. So everyone play nice.

Remember, 3 options means the whole year, not how many times he is sent up and down. So he really isn't out of options. They can send him up and down as much as they want to this year. Next year he has to be on the 25-man roster though...

34rancher
07-30-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Remember, 3 options means the whole year, not how many times he is sent up and down. So he really isn't out of options. They can send him up and down as much as they want to this year. Next year he has to be on the 25-man roster though...
Right, which means that he is up this year 99.99999999% for good. THanks for the clarification though. I hadn't realized that about up and down. :smile:

DrCrawdad
07-30-2002, 05:11 PM
I'm thinking of a recording that I've heard of the Beatles in a concert where George introduced Paul (sans other Beatles) for a version of Yesterday.

"Joe Crede of Jefferson City, Missouri this is your big day."

:crede

Chisoxfn
07-30-2002, 06:28 PM
I agree Crede is a top notch defensive 3rd baseman who has shortened his swing. I think the shorter swing and the fact he wasn't rush should help him adjust very quickly to the big league level. This kid has a tremendous arm and can play d with the best of them.

I'd say Chavez and Rolen are both better then him but he's right behind those two and could eventually move into their class both offensively and defensively.

hold2dibber
07-30-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I agree Crede is a top notch defensive 3rd baseman who has shortened his swing. I think the shorter swing and the fact he wasn't rush should help him adjust very quickly to the big league level. This kid has a tremendous arm and can play d with the best of them.

I'd say Chavez and Rolen are both better then him but he's right behind those two and could eventually move into their class both offensively and defensively.

Hell, if he plays high quality defense and gives good - doesn't have to be great - offense (e.g., .275/20/75), I'd be thrilled. Anything over and above that offensively would be gravy.

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I agree Crede is a top notch defensive 3rd baseman who has shortened his swing. Tonight was the first time I've seen Crede play. From my seat in the Humpdome, my first reaction was that his swing was awfully big. He didn't look comfortable at the plate at all. I will write it off to "first game back in the majors" jitters and see if he looks better. Defensively, he looked just fine.