PDA

View Full Version : It seems that the Sox have claimed Zach Stewart off waivers.

DaveFeelsRight
01-24-2013, 03:12 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/white-sox-claim-zach-stewart.html

welcome back i guess.

TheVulture
01-24-2013, 03:15 PM
This guy has had zero success at the major league level in numerous tries, but AAA depth never hurts I guess.

wilburaga
01-24-2013, 03:40 PM
This guy has had zero success at the major league level in numerous tries, but AAA depth never hurts I guess.

Except for his near perfect game.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2011/B09052MIN2011.htm

TheVulture
01-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Except for his near perfect game.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2011/B09052MIN2011.htm

Wow, don't remember that at all. Makes his other 50 innings that year look even worse.

TDog
01-24-2013, 03:50 PM

That really isn't true. He pitched three shutout innings against the Tigers in a come-from-behind White Sox win in May, holding the Tigers while the White Sox were coming back to give him their last win against Detroit for a huge chunk of the season. He also pitched three shutout innings in relief against the Twins after that. Between those games, he gave up ninth-inning home runs to the Cubs in a game where the White Sox had a 7-0 lead. His ERA was below 3 before he finished the win against the Cubs. It balooned after that, and his two starts with the Red Sox yielded an ERA of 22.24.

Stewart hasn't had any consistent success as a starter. He has had limited and inconsistent success as a reliever. The White Sox will probaby have better pitchers in both the rotation and the bullpen in 2013, but there will be worse pitchers in the major leagues, probably in both roles.

LoveYourSuit
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
A Fan favorite in Charlotte, I hope.

Lip Man 1
01-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Have no idea why they'd want this stiff, this bum, taking up a slot on the 40 man roster.

Coop will fix em!

Lip

Foulke You
01-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Someone has to take the ball every five days in Charlotte.

hawkjt
01-24-2013, 04:05 PM
So we got Youk for free!

LITTLE NELL
01-24-2013, 04:10 PM
The Pirates who haven't had a winning season for 20 years didn't even want this guy.

RF/DH#3
01-24-2013, 04:25 PM
That really isn't true. He pitched three shutout innings against the Tigers in a come-from-behind White Sox win in May, holding the Tigers while the White Sox were coming back to give him their last win against Detroit for a huge chunk of the season. He also pitched three shutout innings in relief against the Twins after that. Between those games, he gave up ninth-inning home runs to the Cubs in a game where the White Sox had a 7-0 lead. His ERA was below 3 before he finished the win against the Cubs. It balooned after that, and his two starts with the Red Sox yielded an ERA of 22.24.

Stewart hasn't had any consistent success as a starter. He has had limited and inconsistent success as a reliever. The White Sox will probaby have better pitchers in both the rotation and the bullpen in 2013, but there will be worse pitchers in the major leagues, probably in both roles.

Didn't he get rocked by the Cubs in a Start last season and then pretty much get sent to the minors right after the game?

WhiteSoxNation
01-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Nice our AAA rotation is filled up

FielderJones
01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Didn't he get rocked by the Cubs in a Start last season and then pretty much get sent to the minors right after the game?

Looks like.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=stewaza01&t=p&year=2012

A. Cavatica
01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Didn't think he was worth it the first time we acquired him. Don't think so the second time...and he was free this time.

doublem23
01-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Didn't think he was worth it the first time we acquired him. Don't think so the second time...and he was free this time.

Organizational depth... It's not like we have a ton of quality pitching prospects who are knocking at the door of AA and AAA

Moses_Scurry
01-24-2013, 08:05 PM

I went to that game. It was supposed to be Peavy's start and they did one of their little "skip a start to save his arm for later" things. It was the only game I made it to last year, and they got crushed. :angry:

shingo10
01-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Looking at a conversation on the Ranger's twitter and we got Stewart back...maybe this is old news?

Doesn't mean much as if he's on our club up here we are in trouble.

https://twitter.com/ChrisRongey

doublem23
01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Have no idea why they'd want this stiff, this bum, taking up a slot on the 40 man roster.

Coop will fix em!

Lip

He's been outrighted to AAA so he will not take up a spot on the 40 man roster.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=chicagowhite-sox&id=13232&city=chicago

tebman
01-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Organizational depth... It's not like we have a ton of quality pitching prospects who are knocking at the door of AA and AAA

That's what Rick Hahn said at the Friday night SoxFest seminar. During the Q&A session he was asked pointedly why Stewart was brought back (to the accompaniment of agreeing groans from the crowd), and he nodded, acknowledging what everybody was thinking. But he explained that having another arm with MLB experience in the back of the rotation at AAA is simple insurance, and in this case it was at minimal cost.

I don't think we'll see Stewart up here either unless there's some bizarre series of injuries to the pitching staff. Insurance is something you hope you never have to use.

Falstaff
02-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Agreed. Around July, Stewart and a few other middling players can go to the
Cubs to acquire Edwin Jackson and cash. I like this.

A. Cavatica
02-02-2013, 10:12 AM
acquire Edwin Jackson

Ugh. Just what a .450 team needs, an overpaid .500 pitcher.

Jeckle
02-04-2013, 10:23 PM
I actually thought Stewart was going to turn into a solid pitcher for us when we first acquired him. I'll be the first to admit I was WRONG, but it never hurts to have depth at AAA.