PDA

View Full Version : Beckham's opinion of Bacon

thomas35forever
01-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Someone asked him about it during his Twitter Q&A tonight and here was his response:

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/3069576290/1ba056c2112d7d9958b68b84e864c8c5_normal.jpeg Gordon BeckhamVerified ‏@gordonbeckham (https://twitter.com/gordonbeckham)

@Hennish14 (https://twitter.com/Hennish14) do you like being called bacon? #670thescore (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23670thescore&src=hash) because when you come up to bat I say lets go bacon" don't love it but whatever hah

Keep it going, Sox fans!

Dibbs
01-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Of course he doesn't love it. It's stupid.

russ99
01-23-2013, 09:19 AM

What's not to like? It's a dumb silly name brought on by Ozzie's lack of normal English pronunciation. It's golden, gonna stick with it.

Makes just as much sense as that stupid Outfield song walk up, sometimes the best baseball stuff is dumb.

Juice16
01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
of course he doesn't love it. It's stupid.

+1

SoxFanCPA
01-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Worst nickname in White Sox history. Please stop.

Hitmen77
01-23-2013, 02:15 PM
What's not to like? It's a dumb silly name brought on by Ozzie's lack of normal English pronunciation. It's golden, gonna stick with it.

Makes just as much sense as that stupid Outfield song walk up, sometimes the best baseball stuff is dumb.

...except that the Outfield song is something Beckham personally requested. So, playing his favorite song is "dumb", but continuing to call him some lame nickname that he really doesn't care for is "golden"? :dunno:

But, at any rate, I'm more worried about Beckham's hitting abilities than his views on an old nickname that a former manager coined.

Tragg
01-23-2013, 04:28 PM

Amen
It was and is a stupid Ozzie nick name.

spawn
01-23-2013, 04:35 PM

Um...because it's a dumb silly nickname, and it was brought to light by a dumb, silly caricature of a baseball manager. But then, you do still like that poor excuse of an ex-manager. And you're going to stick with it even though you know he doesn't like it?

Would you like it if someone called you something that was "dumb and silly", said you didn't like it, but that person continued to use it anyway? Granted, you'll probably never meet Beckham, and if you did and you called him that, he'd be to classy to tell you to kiss his ass, but still...

Nellie_Fox
01-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Amen
It was and is a stupid Ozzie nick name.It wasn't an "Ozzie nickname," it was just the way Ozzie pronounced Beckham. With his heavy Spanish accent, it came out sounding like bacon. Then the fans made it into a nickname.

Mr. Jinx
01-23-2013, 06:53 PM

I think Hawk's incessant attempt at using "Tanks" (plural) or "the Jakemeister" might beat that, barely.

sunofgold
01-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Now that is better. Flash Gordon. Or Bend it like Beckham.

skobabe8
01-23-2013, 09:09 PM
For the first time in my life, I'm going to say it: No more Bacon.

spawn
01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
For the first time in my life, I'm going to say it: No more Bacon.
LOL...I know. Usually, bacon makes everything better. Not so in this case! :redneck

TheVulture
01-24-2013, 02:36 PM

He should like it. If he doesn't turn it around at the plate this year, he could be looking at a nickname of Beggin Strips.

A. Cavatica
01-24-2013, 05:23 PM

Nowhere near the worst nickname in Sox history, but that ought to be its own thread!

TheOldRoman
01-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Now that is better. Flash Gordon. Or Bend it like Beckham.No. That's Chris Berman-type crap. His name is James Gordon Beckham. We should call him the Commissioner.

slavko
01-24-2013, 07:04 PM
No. That's Chris Berman-type crap. His name is James Gordon Beckham. We should call him the Commissioner.

Chris "Jolie" Berman? For a while Beckham was "Gordo," the Spanish word for "fat" around here. I hope the kid doesn't have a cholesterol problem.

DonnieDarko
01-24-2013, 07:16 PM
I remembet a few years ago a heard on TV a mic near the dugout pick up someone shout "Way to go Beck!". I THINK it was Mark Kotsay. Why don't people just call him that?

voodoochile
01-24-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't love the nickname but when he does something good late in the game to help the Sox win being able to say, "bacon makes everything better" is kind of cool.

sullythered
01-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Nicknames are all pretty dumb. I don't see why one is any dumber than another.

soxfanreggie
02-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Nicknames are all pretty dumb. I don't see why one is any dumber than another.

The Big Hurt says, "Enjoy a Big Hurt Beer."

aryzner
02-01-2013, 08:38 AM
I remembet a few years ago a heard on TV a mic near the dugout pick up someone shout "Way to go Beck!". I THINK it was Mark Kotsay. Why don't people just call him that?

Because that's not where it's at. :tongue:

Gordon is no loser. :tongue:

And finally, because Gordon does not have a devil's haircut. :tongue: Or does he under that hat?

(This was probably only amusing to me.)

Fisk Fan
02-01-2013, 10:57 AM
The Big Hurt says, "Enjoy a Big Hurt Beer."

For the record, that beer tastes like ****. I bought two from Binny's last year because they were on sale for $1.00 / ea. and I couldn't drink more than a couple sips......

Mr. Jinx
02-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Because that's not where it's at. :tongue:

Gordon is no loser. :tongue:

And finally, because Gordon does not have a devil's haircut. :tongue: Or does he under that hat?

(This was probably only amusing to me.)

That comment brought me nausea, oh nausea.

And we're gone.

Bobby Thigpen
02-02-2013, 01:27 AM
If you have to ask someone about if they like a nickname, or debate whether or not it is a viable nickname, the answer to both questions is no.

Nicknames either work or they don't. You can't force them. Besides, why does everyone have to have a nickname or some sort of shortened or half first name half last name garbage? Are we really that lazy in this country that we can't just call people by their names?

Jeckle
02-04-2013, 10:25 PM
I always just call him "Becks." I thought Bacon was a terrible nickname at the time and it hasn't gotten any better since.

Jeckle
02-04-2013, 10:27 PM
For the record, that beer tastes like ****. I bought two from Binny's last year because they were on sale for $1.00 / ea. and I couldn't drink more than a couple sips......

I haven't had the good fortune (or misfortune) of trying it. Is it only available in the Chicago market?

RKMeibalane
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I think Hawk's incessant attempt at using "Tanks" (plural) or "the Jakemeister" might beat that, barely.

That's because Hawk is an idiot.

There was a poster on this site last summer who invented absolutely horrendous nicknames for players, much to the chagrin of doublem23.

SephClone89
02-08-2013, 06:30 PM
I always just call him "Becks." I thought Bacon was a terrible nickname at the time and it hasn't gotten any better since.

Pretty much. The footballer is "Becks," so I automatically went for that back in '09.