PDA

View Full Version : Cubs competitive in 2015

Smokey Burg
01-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Did anyone else read Saturdays Sun-Times when Epstein stated that the cubs should be able to compete for the division championship by 2015? With recent talk of wrigley renovations I intrepret Epstein as throwing in the towel for 2013 and 14 while concentrating on the renovations. sorry if I opened up another useless cub thread but was wondering if anybody else saw it.

WhiteSox5187
01-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Did anyone else read Saturdays Sun-Times when Epstein stated that the cubs should be able to compete for the division championship by 2015? With recent talk of wrigley renovations I intrepret Epstein as throwing in the towel for 2013 and 14 while concentrating on the renovations. sorry if I opened up another useless cub thread but was wondering if anybody else saw it.

Well, in theory that is when their young talent should be fully matured and ready. The only problem that I can find is I am not sure what young talent they are talking about.

DrCrawdad
01-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Well, in theory that is when their young talent should be fully matured and ready. The only problem that I can find is I am not sure what young talent they are talking about.

The waves and waves of talent always just around the corner...

Bobby Hill, Josh Vitters, Richard Lewis, Hee Sop Choi, Brett Jackson, Dave Kelton, Beanball Ben Christensen, Angel Guzman, Felix Pie, Rich Hill, Corey Patterson, Jae Kuk Ryu...

Frater Perdurabo
01-22-2013, 08:58 PM
The waves and waves of talent always just around the corner...

Bobby Hill, Josh Vitters, Richard Lewis, Hee Sop Choi, Brett Jackson, Dave Kelton, Beanball Ben Christensen, Angel Guzman, Felix Pie, Rich Hill, Corey Patterson, Jae Kuk Ryu...

Gary Varsho, Gary Scott, Jerome Walton, Paul Noce, Brant Brown...

SoxSpeed22
01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Until they get some front line starting pitching, they aren't going anywhere.

Smokey Burg
01-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Pretty much what I thought. I'm used to seeing cub management throw in the towel but they usually at least wait until two or three of their big name players go on the DL during the last week of spring training.

SI1020
01-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Don Elston, Bob Will, Dick Drott, Glenn Hobbie, Jerry Kindall, Danny Murphy, Dick Bertell, Billy Cowan, Calvin Koonce. It has been that way ever since I've been following baseball.

SoxNation05
01-23-2013, 03:08 PM
I always stay out of the Cubs thread but...

You cannot deny the talent/potential of Castro and Rizzo and maybe even Jackson.

Although, I think the Cubs front office messed up calling Jackson up as soon as they did. Now Vitters may be a bust. I feel like he's been in their system for ten years now anyways. As someone already noted, until they have frontline starting pitching they're not going anywhere.

I still cannot believe how easily the Cubs got Rizzo from the Padres. We should make a trade like that. Andrew Cashner? Really? Probably the Hoyer-Padres connection.

DumpJerry
01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Nothing new here. Theo has been talking about 2015 ever since he got into town.

The flaws in his plan have been discussed extensively already on WSI, so I won't reiterate them, but I will say my winning a Mega Millions Lottery drawing is a more likely event.

WhiteSox5187
01-23-2013, 04:36 PM

You cannot deny the talent/potential of Castro and Rizzo and maybe even Jackson.

Although, I think the Cubs front office messed up calling Jackson up as soon as they did. Now Vitters may be a bust. I feel like he's been in their system for ten years now anyways. As someone already noted, until they have frontline starting pitching they're not going anywhere.

I still cannot believe how easily the Cubs got Rizzo from the Padres. We should make a trade like that. Andrew Cashner? Really? Probably the Hoyer-Padres connection.

The Cubs might have gotten Rizzo based on Hoyer's Padres' connection because the Red Sox gave him up due to Hoyer's Red Sox connection. I recall reading somewhere that some members of the Padres organization thought that Rizzo would never be able to hit at the major league level (or maybe it was just in their park).

The Padres also acquired Yonder Alonso from the Reds which made Rizzo expendable.

blandman
01-23-2013, 04:52 PM
The Cubs might have gotten Rizzo based on Hoyer's Padres' connection because the Red Sox gave him up due to Hoyer's Red Sox connection. I recall reading somewhere that some members of the Padres organization thought that Rizzo would never be able to hit at the major league level (or maybe it was just in their park).

The Padres also acquired Yonder Alonso from the Reds which made Rizzo expendable.

Looks to be a really bad move

DrCrawdad
01-23-2013, 08:18 PM

Although, I think the Cubs front office messed up calling Jackson up as soon as they did. Now Vitters may be a bust. I feel like he's been in their system for ten years now anyways...

I'll be surprised if Jackson spends much time next season or the seasons after on the Cubs major league roster.

cws05champ
01-24-2013, 09:36 AM

I don't know about Jackson(big contact and K issues), but I would be more excited about Almora and Javier Baez. But the pitching in their system is not very good. It looks like their plan is to build the offense up and probably sign veteran pitchers to build their staff once they are closer.

A. Cavatica
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Cubs? Competitive?

The Sox will go through a full rebuilding cycle and be competitive before the Cubs are.

CoopaLoop
01-24-2013, 10:16 PM
2015 should be the goal.

Epstein will be in trouble if they aren't.

34rancher
01-25-2013, 12:07 AM
http://chicagosidesports.com/an-artistic-rendering-of-a-cubs-fans-wet-dream/

Even the most optimistic Cub fans know it's not until 2017....

blandman
01-25-2013, 10:42 AM
http://chicagosidesports.com/an-artistic-rendering-of-a-cubs-fans-wet-dream/

Even the most optimistic Cub fans know it's not until 2017....

:chunks

Cangelosi CF
01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
as an aside, did the Tribune Co. keep a small share of Cubs ownership? 5%? TIA.

DumpJerry
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
as an aside, did the Tribune Co. keep a small share of Cubs ownership? 5%? TIA.
Yes, but the percentage will shrink over a few years. It was done for tax purposes.

JoeYoung
01-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Cubs are winning it all in 2015. Robert Zemeckis, Bob Gale, and Marty McFly said so.

Hitmen77
01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Why shouldn't Epstein shoot for 2015? The Cubs can count on huge crowds regardless. They don't have any sense of urgency to be competitive before then.

Things would be different if the Sox looked like they have their act together for the next couple of years, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If the Sox had been able to follow up their 2005 success with more consistent playoff appearance, then the Cubs might be starting to panic right now as the shift in the Chicago market became more dramatic. But this didn't happen. The Sox totally let the wind get out of their sails over the last 4 seasons and don't look to be a serious threat the next couple of years either. So, the Cubs know they still own this town even if they stink for the next few years.

IMO, it'll be 2 or 3 more years before anyone seriously starts calling for Theo's job. I wouldn't laugh off the idea that they could be playoff contenders in 2015 either. I'm not saying this out of any love for their organization or any idea that Theo is a "genius". I'm just saying this because things can turn around relatively quickly in MLB. All the Cubs have to do is get close to decent talent-wise and I expect Ricketts to open up his pocketbook and go on a spending spree to put them into the playoffs.

Dan H
02-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Why shouldn't Epstein shoot for 2015? The Cubs can count on huge crowds regardless. They don't have any sense of urgency to be competitive before then.

Things would be different if the Sox looked like they have their act together for the next couple of years, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If the Sox had been able to follow up their 2005 success with more consistent playoff appearance, then the Cubs might be starting to panic right now as the shift in the Chicago market became more dramatic. But this didn't happen. The Sox totally let the wind get out of their sails over the last 4 seasons and don't look to be a serious threat the next couple of years either. So, the Cubs know they still own this town even if they stink for the next few years.

IMO, it'll be 2 or 3 more years before anyone seriously starts calling for Theo's job. I wouldn't laugh off the idea that they could be playoff contenders in 2015 either. I'm not saying this out of any love for their organization or any idea that Theo is a "genius". I'm just saying this because things can turn around relatively quickly in MLB. All the Cubs have to do is get close to decent talent-wise and I expect Ricketts to open up his pocketbook and go on a spending spree to put them into the playoffs.

This post is right on. The Sox have missed several chances to turn this market around but instead they named Hawk as GM, let the strike ruin a season, turned off many with the White Flag Trade and then could not sustain success after the World Series.

2015 - that will markt the 70th anniversary of the last Cubs World Series appearance. This is what they are aiming for? Only Cub fans can buy this crap.

StillMissOzzie
02-09-2013, 02:39 AM
Cubs are winning it all in 2015. Robert Zemeckis, Bob Gale, and Marty McFly said so.

I have repeatedly had to tell one particular Cub fan that Back to the Future II was not a documentary.

SMO
:gulp:

34rancher
02-11-2013, 05:49 PM

I've always wondered why the cubs would try to be competitive. Would they draw larger crowds? No. If they ever won, they might even lose crowds. If they create the illusion of being competitive, but have the smallest salaries possible, wouldn't they maximize profits?

WhiteSox5187
02-11-2013, 06:20 PM
I've always wondered why the cubs would try to be competitive. Would they draw larger crowds? No. If they ever won, they might even lose crowds. If they create the illusion of being competitive, but have the smallest salaries possible, wouldn't they maximize profits?

While the Cubs are still selling tickets you only had to watch a bit of Cubs games late last year to see that they weren't drawing people to the park. Tickets to Cub games were going for something like a penny in September. If the Cubs could field an even mildly competitive team they could draw more people which would mean more money for the Cubs.

jamokes
02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Cubs competitive in 2015...................and then the season starts.:bandance::bandance:

johnnyg83
02-11-2013, 09:15 PM
great way to get a minimum of four years with job security. Good plan, Theo

Dan H
02-12-2013, 03:37 PM
The fact the Cubs are talking about being competitive in two years shows how gullible their fan base is. This is all such a joke.