PDA

View Full Version : White Sox to Wear 1983 Uniforms for Sunday Home Games

WhiteSox5187
01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-chicago-white-sox-news-the-white-sox-will-wear-replicas-of-their-1983-team-for-sunday-home-games-in-20130118,0,525724.story?track=rss

Not much of a surprise here but now there is official word. Based on the comments I have seen on this board these uniforms might be the most polarizing uniforms in White Sox history. Personally I love them but my nostalgia is probably increased because there are pictures of me as an infant wearing this uniform...which is strange because when I was an infant the White Sox were no longer wearing this uniform.

Noneck
01-18-2013, 12:40 PM
I hope to be around in 2019, for the 60th anniversary, to see the uniforms I like.

LITTLE NELL
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-chicago-white-sox-news-the-white-sox-will-wear-replicas-of-their-1983-team-for-sunday-home-games-in-20130118,0,525724.story?track=rss

Not much of a surprise here but now there is official word. Based on the comments I have seen on this board these uniforms might be the most polarizing uniforms in White Sox history. Personally I love them but my nostalgia is probably increased because there are pictures of me as an infant wearing this uniform...which is strange because when I was an infant the White Sox were no longer wearing this uniform.

These were the most polarizing:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHOUVFuHLcvC0El9XdT9j4UmVysQn34 qZpF5gLgraGb5zEgeQysA
And then there were the shorts:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY9WcHE7QHbwXfNZZXsT_WHo6Inzg8y Lf5Gr9zVOJHSRo3Jws3

Chez
01-18-2013, 01:30 PM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHOUVFuHLcvC0El9XdT9j4UmVysQn34 qZpF5gLgraGb5zEgeQysA
And then there were the shorts:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY9WcHE7QHbwXfNZZXsT_WHo6Inzg8y Lf5Gr9zVOJHSRo3Jws3

Not sure if these uniforms were truly "polarizing." Few people (other than Mary Frances Veeck) liked them!

TheVulture
01-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Not sure if these uniforms were truly "polarizing." Few people liked them!

Outside of the shorts, I love em, particularly the hat which is perhaps my favorite Sox hat.

PaleHoser
01-18-2013, 01:35 PM
I liked the 76-81 uniforms once they went to the white pants full time.

The 82-86 uniforms not so much. I thought they looked like a cereal box.

I'd be a little more impressed with this promotion if they wore the greys on the road on Sunday's too.

russ99
01-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Ugh. Not a fan. Are we doing this every year now?

WhiteSox5187
01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Not sure if these uniforms were truly "polarizing." Few people (other than Mary Frances Veeck) liked them!

I like the basic idea (color scheme, font, etc), they were really the first sort of "throwback" uniform, and even bringing back a 19th century element like the color worked in theory as they were debuted during the bicentennial. The execution, such as having the shirt untucked, left a lot to be desired. I have heard a few baseball players say that those uniforms were the most comfortable they ever wore. Even George Brett said they looked comfortable.

Ugh. Not a fan. Are we doing this every year now?

Unless they want to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1964 team I don't think they have any other big anniversaries to commemorate. They have commemorated the '64 team before though, but the road uniform was the best part of that set and they won't wear road throwbacks.

Nellie_Fox
01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
I think people who were kids in '83 like them, and some of the people for whom the uglier the throwback the better. However, at the time they were actually wearing these uniforms, I didn't know a single adult who liked them, ESPECIALLY the propeller-beanie home cap.

WhiteSox5187
01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
I think people who were kids in '83 like them, and some of the people for whom the uglier the throwback the better. However, at the time they were actually wearing these uniforms, I didn't know a single adult who liked them, ESPECIALLY the propeller-beanie home cap.

Well that design won a contest where fans voted so presumably there were a fair number of adults that liked that uniform at the time.

TheVulture
01-18-2013, 02:36 PM

The throwbacks are an improved design.

I didn't like them when I was a kid, but I like the throwbacks now. Changes to the material, belt, piping and cut make them more appealing IMO.

chicagowhitesox1
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
I was a kid when they wore those uniforms and I had a hard time rooting for em because of those uniforms.

dickallen15
01-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Well that design won a contest where fans voted so presumably there were a fair number of adults that liked that uniform at the time.
The choices were pretty bleak. I always thought these uniforms looked like spacesuits for some reason.

Red Barchetta
01-18-2013, 03:16 PM

I don't remember seeing the all blue road uniforms with the white cap too many times. Did they ditch that look after awhile?!

I like the throwback Sunday uniforms, however I think it would be cool if they completely honored the uniform and wore the road uniforms as well on Sundays. I would have loved to see the 1972 powder blue/red road uniforms last season! At the very least, I think the SOX/Cubs should try and coordinate throwback home/road uniforms for their inter-city series each season. Pick a historic Chicago event each season and then each team wears their uniforms from that year.

dickallen15
01-18-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't remember seeing the all blue road uniforms with the white cap too many times. Did they ditch that look after awhile?!

I like the throwback Sunday uniforms, however I think it would be cool if they completely honored the uniform and wore the road uniforms as well on Sundays. I would have loved to see the 1972 powder blue/red road uniforms last season! At the very least, I think the SOX/Cubs should try and coordinate throwback home/road uniforms for their inter-city series each season. Pick a historic Chicago event each season and then each team wears their uniforms from that year.

I think they ditched the White caps after one road trip. The dirt showed too much.

WhiteSox5187
01-18-2013, 03:28 PM
I think they ditched the White caps after one road trip. The dirt showed too much.

No, the Yankees complained that the white under sleeves and white cap on a pitcher was distracting, the umpire made the pitcher take off his white undershirt and the league later banned the White Sox from wearing all white caps.

SaltyPretzel
01-18-2013, 03:30 PM
I think it's pretty lame. I'd rather see them do something else like wearing white socks.

Nellie_Fox
01-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Please people, when you see that somebody has screwed up the quote function by deleting part of the commands, don't quote their screwed up quote, because that just makes it worse.

Also, if you see that you've screwed up the quotes by deleting, either go back and use the edit function to fix it or delete it and start over.

I think I have them fixed now, but it gets hard to figure out.

thomas35forever
01-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Sorry, but I love those uniforms. It just fits with the era and pretty cool to look at.

Nellie_Fox
01-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Sorry, but I love those uniforms. It just fits with the era and pretty cool to look at.Actually, the hideous era of pullover jersey, elastic waist pants in double-knit polyester was ending just as the Sox decided to jump in. Cool to look at? Eye of the beholder I guess. I think they were hideous then, and ridiculous now.

Medford Bobby
01-18-2013, 05:30 PM
I guess I'll have to wait for 2015 for the 25th anniversary of the 1990 re-birth season of White Sox baseball and hopefully see that season's uniforms every Sunday in 2015???:D:

WhiteSox5187
01-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Actually, the hideous era of pullover jersey, elastic waist pants in double-knit polyester was ending just as the Sox decided to jump in. Cool to look at? Eye of the beholder I guess. I think they were hideous then, and ridiculous now.

It wasn't though. In 1982 twenty three teams wore pullover jerseys and eight teams wore two-tone caps. In 1986 (the last year they wore that uniform) there were still 13 teams wearing pullover jerseys and seven other teams wearing two tone caps. That uniform was pretty much par for the course back then.

chicagowhitesox1
01-18-2013, 07:28 PM
I don't know if I read this here but I think the 1992 or 1993 Reds were the last team to use pullovers.

Brian26
01-18-2013, 07:33 PM

I would also love to see the road version of the '83 unis. I always liked that hat a little better without the white front panel. It was basically the '77 hat with a red bill and a red button on top (instead of white). I liked the grey unis. They seemed to work better with the white letters on the front.

Reinsdorf only kept the Veeck unis for one season. I read he mandated they go with the all white pants for 1981. It was a better look than the dark pants. I really disliked the collars. It would have been much easier to stomach those with a vneck. The only pictures ive seen with the white hats was from a 1976 series at Yankee Stadium (seem to remember Wilbur Wood on a 1977 Topps card).

WhiteSox5187
01-18-2013, 07:36 PM
I don't know if I read this here but I think the 1992 or 1993 Reds were the last team to use pullovers.

It was the 1992 Reds.

Brian26
01-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Maybe it was Jack Brohamer or Goose...

SaltyPretzel
01-19-2013, 01:24 AM
I really disliked the collars. It would have been much easier to stomach those with a vneck. (seem to remember Wilbur Wood on a 1977 Topps card).

I love the font. I wouldn't mind seeing it on the road uni or an alternate.

IronFisk
01-19-2013, 01:48 AM
I remember someone saying these uni's looked like "softball" uniforms. I dunno...but I was a kid when they were introduced and was forever smitten with them thanks to the '83 run. Just had to be there...

WhiteSox5187
01-19-2013, 03:19 AM
I remember someone saying these uni's looked like "softball" uniforms. I dunno...but I was a kid when they were introduced and was forever smitten with them thanks to the '83 run. Just had to be there...

I suspect that almost everyone's favorite uniform was worn during their childhood (or is a variation of one). It would have been interesting to see the reaction of the fan base when the White Sox first added red to their uniform back in 1930 or when they abandoned the o and x in the giant S (ie the 1919 uniform) in 1932 or when they first added the old English Sox logo in 1950 which was an attempt by the White Sox to mimic the Yankees uniforms and signal new leadership of Chuck Comiskey.

TommyJohn
01-19-2013, 09:54 AM
I suspect that almost everyone's favorite uniform was worn during their childhood (or is a variation of one).

I was going to post the same thing when I saw your post. I was a kid during the red pinstripe era and in high school during the Winning Ugly era, 1982-86. During that time I grew nostalgic for the red pinstripes and yearned for the White Sox to go back to wearing them.

The Critic
01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
I know this will never happen for many reasons, but I'd like to see the Sox wear a random uniform from the past every Sunday at home for one season. The 72's one Sunday, the late '60's (the ones that looked similar to the Tigers' jerseys) another Sunday, the late 80's script "White Sox" unis on another Sunday, and so on.

The Sox have had a lot of uniforms I really liked, and I'd love to see a bunch of them worn again.

soxnut67
01-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Along with the uniforms on sundays. I hope they play "1983" by The Neon Trees.:bandance:

Red Barchetta
01-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Actually, the hideous era of pullover jersey, elastic waist pants in double-knit polyester was ending just as the Sox decided to jump in. Cool to look at? Eye of the beholder I guess. I think they were hideous then, and ridiculous now.

I guess the SOX timing is always at the end of a trend. Sort of like what happened with Comiskey II.

LongLiveFisk
01-19-2013, 04:54 PM

I was 12 in 1983 and although they didn't bother me much back then, I definitely don't like them now. I agree with people who have mentioned them looking like softball uniforms. If not for the fondness of the '83 team, I can't imagine they would have any lasting impact, but that's just me.

hsnterprize
01-21-2013, 09:04 PM
I was 11 when the Sox wore these uniforms and won the A.L. West Division Championship. It was the first time I'd seen Chicago sports fans rush the field after a team won something. I know there are people who loathe those uniforms. Personally...I LOVE THEM!!!!! I'd get a 1983 jersey if I could afford it.

Hey..."Winning Ugly" was sure pretty to me. Too bad they couldn't beat Baltimore that year in the ALCS.

Red Barchetta
01-22-2013, 08:26 AM
I was 12 in 1983 and although they didn't bother me much back then, I definitely don't like them now. I agree with people who have mentioned them looking like softball uniforms. If not for the fondness of the '83 team, I can't imagine they would have any lasting impact, but that's just me.

Bingo! If it wouldn't have been for the 1983 division championship and the whole "Winning Ugly" rally cry, these uniforms would be nothing but a forgotten marketing mistake and quite possibly be the worst 1-2 uniform combination ever paired with the navy blue/white Veeck-era pajamas.

I think JR and the SOX brass have more of a nostalgic feeling towards these uniforms as they represent one of the first stamps on the team after taking over as owners.

I remember at the time, anything was considered an improvement compared to the untucked pajama jerseys. I was hoping they would revert to the 1950's era black pinstripes with red trim, but I guess I was 10 years away from seeing similar uniforms again.

hdog1017
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM
For me, the 1983 jerseys are the best jerseys in the history of earth. But I'm an odd man who likes odd things.

Crestani
01-25-2013, 03:02 PM
For me, the 1983 jerseys are the best jerseys in the history of earth. But I'm an odd man who likes odd things.

I think they are the ugliest uniforms in White Sox history..!!:scratch:
Every time i saw them play in those, I thought I was at Beer softball league game. You could even see the gut rolls around the waist on Luzinski's pants..!!

Just my thoughts...

roylestillman
01-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Glad to see my avatar has been resurrected as the patch on the retro uniform(as it was on the original.)

KnightSox
01-26-2013, 01:16 AM
I am not too fond of the '83 uniforms, but I can tolerate them for what I believe is only seven games.

cards press box
01-26-2013, 01:32 AM
I count 13 Sunday home games in 2013. I prefer the 1972 red pinstripes to the 1983 uniforms but I think the Sunday retro home uniform is a great idea and the concept of rotating the retro uniform from year to year is a good idea, too.

The Sox have had some very interesting and very cool uniforms over the years. And, hey, the retro Sunday is a way to recall the history of the ballclub and the South Side, too. I like it.

chicagowhitesox1
01-26-2013, 02:53 AM
I wonder what they would wear next year. Maybe 1964 for the 50th anniversary

Medford Bobby
01-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Got to be a 40th anniversary (wow...) of 1977 Hitmen in 2017...just got to be.....:scratch:

FielderJones
01-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Got to be a 40th anniversary (wow...) of 1977 Hitmen in 2017...just got to be.....:scratch:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1917_chicago.gif
(ahem)

JoeYoung
01-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Only three years until they can do a 110th anniversary of '06 and wear those uniforms.

Brian26
01-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Luzinski said yesterday that the '81 uni was the most comfortable he has ever worn. Although, he had to velcro down the collar because it would flop too much when he ran.

Tragg
01-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Excellent
I still have my 1983 jersey....it has some weird fabric that feels almost plastic, but it's lasted 30 years (although I haven't worn it in 15).

PalehosePlanet
01-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Only three years until they can do a 110th anniversary of '06 and wear those uniforms.

We actually did that on the 100th anniversary back in 2006.

WhiteSox5187
01-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Luzinski said yesterday that the '81 uni was the most comfortable he has ever worn. Although, he had to velcro down the collar because it would flop too much when he ran.

I have heard a couple of former players say that that uniform was the most comfortable they ever wore. I even heard George Brett say they looked comfortable.