PDA

View Full Version : The Apocolypse is happening

34rancher
07-30-2002, 11:54 AM
I can't believe this, I actually agree with a Jay Mariotti column. Holy crap.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay30.html

Sorry if this has already been posted.

voodoochile
07-30-2002, 12:01 PM
To say the Sox are dying would be presumptuous. But rumors of their demise as a viable franchise are not exaggerated. For a dozen years, they have been the most consistently competitive of Chicago's five pro teams, which is much like being the tallest midget in the circus yet better than the alternative.

Wonder if Jay has been reading PHG...

Sue him George, don't let him steal your ideas like that...

soxrme
07-30-2002, 12:19 PM
Yes it is scary when JM actually has a thought that anybody can agree with but he must be reading our website messages. Everyone I know cringes when JW makes a trade, and we all know why. They are running this franchise into the ground. Gallas has to be the lowest paid marketing man in the business because his next good idea will be his first.

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 12:34 PM
the moron wrote

As it is, the Sox have had a long-term credibility problem in overhyping prospects.

wasn't it the sports mag that touted the pitcher of the sox? baseball weekly, ba etc.......... so what is he talking about.

FanOf14
07-30-2002, 12:47 PM
In recent history we have garland as a prime example of the sox over-hype. They went on and on about how great he is and how he would be great right away and so far it hasn't worked that way. Garland shows flashes of brilliance and then he sucks for a few games. before that, I can't say because I really don't remember what the Sox had to say about their up and coming players.

Daver
07-30-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
In recent history we have garland as a prime example of the sox over-hype. They went on and on about how great he is and how he would be great right away and so far it hasn't worked that way. Garland shows flashes of brilliance and then he sucks for a few games. before that, I can't say because I really don't remember what the Sox had to say about their up and coming players.

The Sox didn't hype Garland nearly as much as the sCrUBS did,and I think you will see an improvement in Garland with Cooper coaching him.

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 12:55 PM
In recent history we have garland as a prime example of the sox over-hype. .

BA to name one mag, had him listed as #8 in 1999 and #2 in 2000. these are people who does this for a living. they may not be right all the time. but i think they are respected for what they do.

duke of dorwood
07-30-2002, 01:00 PM
Its gonna take awhile and probably some surgery to purge ourselves of the Contreras regime

FanOf14
07-30-2002, 01:04 PM
LOL Duke! Sad thing is how true your statement is. I just remember in 2000 before Garland's start in KC about how great he was going to be and that didn't sit well with me because everytime that is said about a player either they don't work out or it seems to take longer than expected - I just think it is dangerous to heap that much pressure on such a young player. I think that is part of why he is starting to come around - most of that pressure is slipping off of him. hopefully cooper can work magic with him and bring him all the way to the upper echelon where they expected him to be.

No-Neck
07-30-2002, 01:07 PM
I read it, no new ideas or insight, just typical Moron ripping the Sox, their ownership, management, park, team... Same ol' stuff. Mariotti doesn't have any creativity or original thoughts in his writing, or in his head for that matter.

The Moron must be trolling this sight, because everything in this column has appeared on this site in the past.

I cancelled my Sun-Times subscription 2 years ago because of this little moron, and this column affirms the wisdom of that decision. :moron :D:

doublem23
07-30-2002, 01:55 PM

I know, God damn! ****in' 21 year old kid's been jerking us around! I can't believe that little **** hasn't won like 20 Cy Youngs by now.

boing

34rancher
07-30-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by No-Neck
I read it, no new ideas or insight, just typical Moron ripping the Sox, their ownership, management, park, team... Same ol' stuff. Mariotti doesn't have any creativity or original thoughts in his writing, or in his head for that matter.

The Moron must be trolling this sight, because everything in this column has appeared on this site in the past.

I cancelled my Sun-Times subscription 2 years ago because of this little moron, and this column affirms the wisdom of that decision. :moron :D:

I don't know, I thought that this was new..
"They never hit rock bottom and were far more reliable than the crosstown bums."

No-Neck
07-30-2002, 02:10 PM
34rancher
This sentence is buried in a paragraph which stresses the demise of the White Sox franchise.

This demise was predicted when I was playing Little League in Wicker Park in the 1960's. The old guys on the North side who told me that are all dead now, but the Sox are still at 35th Street.

And it still ain't happened. This guy is full of **it.

Tragg
07-30-2002, 02:19 PM
On a positive "Franchise" note, didn't we draw 28K 2 days in a row against the lowly royals after the durham deal?

FanOf14
07-30-2002, 03:04 PM
doublem - 2000 was 1.5 seasons ago. they sox went on and on about how great he'd be right away and he wasn't, not even close. it's 1.5 seasons later and he is just starting to show promise.

doublem23
07-30-2002, 03:05 PM
doublem - 2000 was 1.5 seasons ago. they sox went on and on about how great he'd be right away and he wasn't, not even close. it's 1.5 seasons later and he is just starting to show promise.

That's because he was 20. Anyone who thought he was going to be GREAT then needs to send me whatever you were smoking.