PDA

View Full Version : Potential Sox Buyers

Viva Magglio
07-30-2002, 11:47 AM
Whom would you like to see buy the White Sox from Jerry Reinsdorf?

nut_stock
07-30-2002, 11:53 AM
I'm not too familiar with these people. Can you enlighten me?

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Whom would you like to see buy the White Sox from Jerry Reinsdorf?

i don't want to offend you, but is this really something you have heard or a fantasy dream.

Dadawg_77
07-30-2002, 12:00 PM
I voted for WSI, Inc.

Viva Magglio
07-30-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I'm not too familiar with these people. Can you enlighten me?

McKenna - Schwarz Paper Co. CEO; co-owns 20% of Bears with Pat Ryan; on Tribune (and, hence, Cubs) board (would have to resign to buy Sox); former chairman of ND board of trustees; son Andrew Jr. may challenge Sen. Peter Fitzgerald for GOP nomination in 2004.

Pritzker Family - Vast holdings include Hyatt hotel chain; pocket change they have could help Sox infinitely; suffered embarrassing scandal involving Superior Bank

Ryan - Aon Corporation CEO; co-owns 20% of Bears with McKenna; chairman of NU board of trustees; Ryan Field and Welsh-Ryan Arena are named for his family; would have to resign seat on Tribune board if he buys Sox

Zell - Real estate magnate; could be helpful if Sox had to do something with Comikey

Viva Magglio
07-30-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

i don't want to offend you, but is this really something you have heard or a fantasy dream.

It's a fantasy dream, but I thought we'd have fun with it.

kevingrt
07-30-2002, 12:08 PM
The head people @ WSI Inc.

Cheryl
07-30-2002, 12:27 PM
What about Oprah?

rmusacch
07-30-2002, 12:31 PM
I vote for Mark Cuban.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2002, 12:38 PM
S.F.F.D.J.C.

S ox
F ans
F or
D rafting
J erry
C olangelo

Jerry_Manuel
07-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
S.F.F.D.J.C.

S ox
F ans
F or
D rafting
J erry
C olangelo

Does this mean I should start working on a Colangelo tag?

Daver
07-30-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Does this mean I should start working on a Colangelo tag?

Did we ever decide on a pipe-dream color?

Cause that is all that is........

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by daver

I dunno. What color is opium?

Iguana775
07-30-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
I vote for Mark Cuban.

thats my vote.

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 01:08 PM

I dunno. What color is opium?

brownish/black

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2002, 01:16 PM
I vote for another Jerry...Jerry Springer!!!

Heather the Redbird

Paulwny
07-30-2002, 01:29 PM
One of George Steibrenners kids.

MarkEdward
07-30-2002, 03:34 PM
Donald Watkins.

Foulke You
07-30-2002, 03:44 PM
I vote for Mark Cuban as well. Deep pockets and lots of enthusiasm.

doublem23
07-30-2002, 03:45 PM
I vote for me.

nut_stock
07-31-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Donald Watkins.

I second that. This guy would spend his own money to improve Comiskey.

Nellie_Fox
07-31-2002, 01:18 AM
Hey, what happened to Watkins' attempt to buy the Angels, anyway? Does anybody know?

The Twins just blew him off; they never really wanted to sell him the team, particularly since it required that they open their books to him.

Additionally, I don't know if you guys know it or not, but the stadium deal that the state legislature passed fell through because Pohlad wouldn't promise to play in a new park in St. Paul if a referendum passed, so St. Paul isn't holding the referendum. So they're back to square one. Pohlad just wants the contraction money.

MarkEdward
07-31-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Hey, what happened to Watkins' attempt to buy the Angels, anyway? Does anybody know?

The Twins just blew him off; they never really wanted to sell him the team, particularly since it required that they open their books to him.

Additionally, I don't know if you guys know it or not, but the stadium deal that the state legislature passed fell through because Pohlad wouldn't promise to play in a new park in St. Paul if a referendum passed, so St. Paul isn't holding the referendum. So they're back to square one. Pohlad just wants the contraction money.

I think Bud Selig is doing everything he can to keep Watkins from buying *any* team. Watkins would actually invest in a team, and actually pay for a new stadium. Pohlad's just a goon. Minnesota agreed to pay for 2/3 of a new park, and he still wouldn't do it.

DuckSnort
07-31-2002, 11:12 AM
I vote for Mike Ditka to buy the sox! :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Great stuff, Nellie. Your analysis is spot-on, too (IMHO).

In light of these facts, I wish one of the "doom and gloom" sad sacks around here would respond with their own spin on how they can support MLB's negotiating position against the players union.

It would be truly entertaining watching them get caught up in their own underwear--defending their prior position while not toppling the new one they are forced to defend. Priceless!

Phil Rogers, let's hear it baby! I've got my machine guns dug in on high ground with enfilading crossfire; a killing zone that must be 800 meters across. Good luck overrunning my position.

God, what a massacre it would be!

:)

DrWatson27
07-31-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by daver

Isn't it Cubbie Crack Blue? That's usually Flub Fans hopes of winning the division-a pipe dream.

Dadawg_77
07-31-2002, 12:34 PM

In light of these facts, I wish one of the "doom and gloom" sad sacks around here would respond with their own spin on how they can support MLB's negotiating position against the players union.

It would be truly entertaining watching them get caught up in their own underwear--defending their prior position while not toppling the new one they are forced to defend. Priceless!

Phil Rogers, let's hear it baby! I've got my machine guns dug in on high ground with enfilading crossfire; a killing zone that must be 800 meters across. Good luck overrunning my position.

Is PHG having flashbacks? Whats with the whole war theme in the posts?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-31-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Is PHG having flashbacks? Whats with the whole war theme in the posts?

Who wins an argument is usually pre-determined by who succeeds in defining the argument.

In this respect it is a lot like winning a military battle. The attackers get to choose the time, but the defenders get to choose the location.

This is outstanding ground for someone like me to defend. :gulp:

I know damned well there is no way Phil Rogers, or anybody else, could successfully make the argument on behalf of MLB's negotiating posture while simultaneously justifying the actions of Pohlad up in Minnesota. And just like in a battle, I might enjoy chewing up opponents foolish enough to attack me on this ground.
:gulp: :gulp:

Just calling 'em as I see 'em. :smile:

Daver
07-31-2002, 01:50 PM

Here's another example for you to add to your arsenal PHG.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20020731daily.shtml

LongDistanceFan
07-31-2002, 02:36 PM

Who wins an argument is usually pre-determined by who succeeds in defining the argument.

In this respect it is a lot like winning a military battle. The attackers get to choose the time, but the defenders get to choose the location.

This is outstanding ground for someone like me to defend. :gulp:

I know damned well there is no way Phil Rogers, or anybody else, could successfully make the argument on behalf of MLB's negotiating posture while simultaneously justifying the actions of Pohlad up in Minnesota. And just like in a battle, I might enjoy chewing up opponents foolish enough to attack me on this ground.
:gulp: :gulp:

Just calling 'em as I see 'em. :smile:

whew i never seen you this fired up except for an agruement once. the audie murphy of the wsi board.

dasox24
07-31-2002, 10:25 PM
My vote is Mark Cuban.