OF-Sizemore
RP-Capps
RP-Farnsworth
3B-O.Hudson
RP-M.Lowe
C-Torrealba
RP-Moylan
C-Olivo

Need of some stability behind Flowers, a left handed bat, and a veteran RP.

All these guys are available, and cheap.

Thoughts on them, or anyone else Sox should at least invite to spring training?

salty99
01-15-2013, 12:14 PM
OF-Sizemore
RP-Capps
RP-Farnsworth
3B-O.Hudson
RP-M.Lowe
C-Torrealba
RP-Moylan
C-Olivo

Need of some stability behind Flowers, a left handed bat, and a veteran RP.

All these guys are available, and cheap.

Thoughts on them, or anyone else Sox should at least invite to spring training?

Sizemore won't be healthy until at least the All-star break. I wouldn't mind bringing in a relief pitcher and backup catcher though.

SoxNation05
01-15-2013, 01:09 PM
There is definitely a need for an experienced back up catcher on this roster.

I would like to sign a reliever or two but I don't know if that will happen. I would have preferred a lefty like Mike Gonzalez or JP Howell (both whom signed cheap, manageable contracts) because then we would have the flexibility to trade Thornton and his contract. Aside from that I would definitely encourage the signing of a Moylan or Capps to fill Myers' hole.

I really do think we should bring in a lefty who's bat belongs in a ML line up. I would even settle for a Seth Smith/David DeJesus/Brandon Moss (not that I would want to buy high on Moss) type. Basically a better version of last year's signing of Fukudome.

russ99
01-15-2013, 02:11 PM
There is definitely a need for an experienced back up catcher on this roster.

I would like to sign a reliever or two but I don't know if that will happen. I would have preferred a lefty like Mike Gonzalez or JP Howell (both whom signed cheap, manageable contracts) because then we would have the flexibility to trade Thornton and his contract. Aside from that I would definitely encourage the signing of a Moylan or Capps to fill Myers' hole.

I really do think we should bring in a lefty who's bat belongs in a ML line up. I would even settle for a Seth Smith/David DeJesus/Brandon Moss (not that I would want to buy high on Moss) type. Basically a better version of last year's signing of Fukudome.

I'd prefer a new lefty bat that can play almost full time, since it's near impossible to have all 9 regulars play the whole year - and when they do, like last season, they wear down by the end.

We already have a subpar hitter on the bench in Wise, not sure if we need two.

Nellie_Fox
01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Personally, I think it's a huge risk going into the season with Flowers as the #1 catcher.

Noneck
01-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Personally, I think it's a huge risk going into the season with Flowers as the #1 catcher.

I do also but not much choice at this juncture.

WhiteSox5187
01-15-2013, 02:59 PM

I agree but at this point it is silly to go out and spend money on a free agent catcher. It's time to see what Flowers can do as a starter. Hopefully he surprises us and is a quality starter, otherwise we will have to go out and find someone for 2014.

amsteel
01-15-2013, 03:13 PM
I agree but at this point it is silly to go out and spend money on a free agent catcher. It's time to see what Flowers can do as a starter. Hopefully he surprises us and is a quality starter, otherwise we will have to go out and find someone for 2014.

The Sox fate in 2013 won't hinge on Flowers' performance. See what he can do and then decide what the future of the position will be.

ZombieRob
01-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Capps may be decent to replace Myers

cards press box
01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
A left handed hitting catcher would be nice. If Seattle is not re-signing Miguel Olivo, then I suppose that John Jaso will not be available. Too bad.

kittle42
01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Why is Orlando Hudson in that list? I'd rather have Matt Capps or Kyle Farnsworth....to be a utility infielder.

palehozenychicty
01-15-2013, 10:51 PM
The Sox fate in 2013 won't hinge on Flowers' performance. See what he can do and then decide what the future of the position will be.

Exactly. This is why I like the move. He earned a chance. Time will tell.

SoxNation05
01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
I am sure he is unavailable but I would love to pick up Hank Conger from LAA. I doubt he is available but he would be a nice buy-low target and a good back up/potential starter if Flowers tanks.

He was once a pretty highly touted prospect and has been around a while even though he is still 24 years old. He is also a switch hitter.

PorkChopExpress
01-16-2013, 10:48 AM
A left handed hitting catcher would be nice. If Seattle is not re-signing Miguel Olivo, then I suppose that John Jaso will not be available. Too bad.

Right now, Hector Gimenez seems like he is in the running for backup catcher, and he's a switch hitter. I think his defense is good, but honestly, I'm not sure. I also saw that Brian Schneider is a FA. He's a lefty. Decent back in '03 - '04 range, but now is primarily a backup. Played for Phillie last year.

In all honesty, I'm excited to see what Flowers can do. I'm just so apprehensive about this team as a whole, my confidence in individuals gets blurred with my confidence in the team.

I keep going back and forth. I want to see some change because I am sick of seeing the same players reach the same results, but at the same time I just want the team to run out the big contracts we have, let aging veterans walk (fan favorites or not) while still remaining somewhat competitive, albeit probably not playoff worthy (yet hoping that the baseball gods smile upon us and grant us that lucky streak/lightning in a bottle/perfect timing thing) while we solidify the foundation of this club, i.e., strong young talent from the draft and international signings.

And I'd like to see some freakin' doubles this year!

PorkChopExpress
01-16-2013, 11:17 AM
A couple more names for consideration for the off the bench role. They are all FA's per mlbtraderumors, and relatively inexpensive, some more than others:

Aubrey Huff (Lefty -1B, 3B, LF, RF)
Adam Kennedy (Lefty - 2B, 3B, 1B and a little OF)
Chone Figgins (cringe, I know, but - Switch - LF, 3B, 2B and a little SS)
Nyjer Morgan (Lefty - OF)
Ryan Sweeney (Lefty - OF)
Luke Scott (Lefty - LF, RF, 1B).

Tragg
01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
A couple more names for consideration for the off the bench role. They are all FA's per mlbtraderumors, and relatively inexpensive, some more than others:

If we didn't have Wise, I'd take Morgan or Sweeney.
Might take a shot with Luke Scott - he has hit before.

SoxNation05
01-16-2013, 03:43 PM

Careful saying Huff plays 3B. Huff has not played there since '08 and even then it was only 30 games.

winstonage
01-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Kennedy would work, but the free agent I would like is Kelly Johnson. He has some pop, can steal a base and his OBP isn't bad. Let him play for Beckham and Viciedo against tough righties. I don't think he has ever played 3rd., but Keppinger has only had 2 seasons with 500 abs. Maybe Johnson could play 25 games at 3rd. They could probably get Johnson 300 abs in this scenario. I haven't heard about any teams in on him, might be able to get him for a 1 year deal at around 1.5-2mil.

SI1020
01-16-2013, 06:08 PM
Why is Orlando Hudson in that list? I'd rather have Matt Capps or Kyle Farnsworth....to be a utility infielder. Good one. I feel the same way. Once was too much with that guy.

PalehosePlanet
01-17-2013, 09:28 AM
George Kottaras has been DFA'd by The A's after their acquisition of John Jaso. He's a left-handed hitting catcher w/pop who could help our team.

cards press box
01-17-2013, 10:57 AM

It turns out that Jaso was available but Seattle dealt him to the A's in the Mike Morse three-way deal with Washington.

lizard6king6
01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
After all that reading all I know is one thing.. We really need to find an everyday Third baseman. Somewhere, anywhere?

kittle42
01-17-2013, 06:47 PM
After all that reading all I know is one thing.. We really need to find an everyday Third baseman. Somewhere, anywhere?

You have one. It's Keppinger.

Welcome to 2013 White Sox baseball!

Hitmen77
01-18-2013, 09:16 AM
You have one. It's Keppinger.

Welcome to 2013 White Sox baseball!

Appreciate the game!

SI1020
01-18-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't know if Keppinger will work out or not, but I'd rather take my chances with him than with Youkilis or Morel.

johnnyg83
01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
I don't know if Keppinger will work out or not, but I'd rather take my chances with him than with Youkilis or Morel.

Seconded.

I Would also take a Sweeney or a Luke Scott.