PDA

View Full Version : Javier Vazquez comeback attempt?

HomeFish
01-13-2013, 04:50 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/01/11/javier-vazquez-undecided-on-future-despite-nationals-interest/

Per sources that include Alex Cora, who is managing Javier in the Winter League, the Nationals, Red Sox, and White Sox are potentially interested in signing Javier to a minor league deal.

tstrike2000
01-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Hahn better get on that phone!

guillensdisciple
01-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Nah, I'm okay on signing another guy who will become a mental midget when we need him most.

Lip Man 1
01-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Guillen:

Well considering the record against bad teams and bad pitchers by the Sox the past decade he'll fit right in won't he? LOL.

Lip

Foulke You
01-13-2013, 09:19 PM
From what i've read on Twitter, Javy impressed scouts by hitting 92-95mph on the gun. However, "stuff" was never an issue with Javy as we Sox fans know all too well. Supposedly, Javier has yet to decide if he is coming back. The Nationals are supposedly most intrigued with him. I hope Hahn passes on this one unless he comes dirt cheap. To quote Mike Singletary: "Can't win with em"

Brian26
01-13-2013, 09:25 PM
From what i've read on Twitter, Javy impressed scouts by hitting 92-95mph on the gun. However, "stuff" was never an issue with Javy as we Sox fans know all too well. Supposedly, Javier has yet to decide if he is coming back. The Nationals are supposedly most intrigued with him. I hope Hahn passes on this one unless he comes dirt cheap. To quote Mike Singletary: "Can't win with em"

I recall pants-pissing Javy was the guy that told the media (fans) at the end of the 2008 season that he didn't care if the fans booed him because he was going to take his money & family back to Puerto Rico when he retired and we'd never hear from him again.

Either the money dried up or his wife kicked him out of the house.

LoveYourSuit
01-14-2013, 12:56 AM
Give me Javy over Gavin all day.

Lip Man 1
01-14-2013, 10:26 AM
The two pitchers seem to be the same to me. Million dollar arms...well you know the rest.

Lip

dickallen15
01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
The two pitchers seem to be the same to me. Million dollar arms...well you know the rest.

Lip
Million dollar arms are very below average these days.

sullythered
01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I would take Javy back as a back-end starter, in a second. He's basically Gavin, but would likely come cheap, and then the Sox could move Gavin for other pieces. Has anybody picked up Fingernails on a blackboard yet?

Edit: saw he's a Diamondback.

Foulke You
01-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Both are very inconsistent pitchers. Both have front end rotation "stuff". However, who would you rather have start a playoff game or a big game against Detroit in September? I would hand the ball to Gavin over Javy 10 times out of 10. Javy has repeatedly shown that the more pressure was on, the more meaningful the game, and the brighter the lights got, the worse he pitched. Gavin's problem has more to do with consistent command of his curve ball and not mental issues in big game situations.

LoveYourSuit
01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
I would take Javy back as a back-end starter, in a second. He's basically Gavin, but would likely come cheap, and then the Sox could move Gavin for other pieces. Has anybody picked up Fingernails on a blackboard yet?

Edit: saw he's a Diamondback.

If Javy could be had for a cheap FA contract right now, why wouldn't the team looking for a starter (Gavin) sign Javy outright instead of trading for one?

Foulke You
01-15-2013, 11:33 AM
If Javy could be had for a cheap FA contract right now, why wouldn't the team looking for a starter (Gavin) sign Javy outright instead of trading for one?
Javy has said he wants to pitch for a contender and we all know he hates west coast teams because it is too far from his family in Puerto Rico. If he views you as a "non-contender" or have a team in the Pacific time zone, you probably don't have a chance to sign him. When you make a trade, the player does not have a choice unless they have it written in their contract. Free agents like Javy are in the driver's seat and they know it.

RadioheadRocks
01-16-2013, 12:54 AM

They both suck ass... no thank you!!!!!

Bobby Thigpen
01-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Why does everyone seem to automatically assume he's even the same pitcher he was? He's 36 and been out of the game a while.

I think that even in his prime he and Floyd may have been a push, but at 36 I don't know how anyone assumes he'll be anything close to his old self after a few starts in MLB.

Personally, if I were a GM, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

devré
01-21-2013, 02:43 PM
I would take Vazquez as the 5th starter on the cheap.