PDA

View Full Version : Reborn Royce

34 Inch Stick
07-30-2002, 08:51 AM
Many of the major problems people on this board (including me) have with Royce will have disappeared by next season if Valentin is traded. He will not be keeping a better player in the minors. His salary will be greatly reduced. He will not be taking playing time away from better major league players simply because of the manager's preference.

Over the winter he would appear to be the type of pickup the Sox would need. He is a cheap veteran who solidifies the infield defense. Any offense he has would be a bonus.

So (and I know everyone is cringing as they read this) if Royce can be retained for Lofton type money (1 mil per year), I think he is going to be our shortstop again next year.

Of course we know his attitude is disastrous for a young clubhouse, his fielding is deceptively overrated and he doesn't hit until a team is out of contention. These qualities do not seem to bother management/administration. I am sorry to even think this thought, but the love affair is going to continue.

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 08:58 AM
was this suppose to be in teal?

if not, it should be. j/k

:D:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Many of the major problems people on this board (including me) have with Royce will have disappeared by next season if Valentin is traded. He will not be keeping a better player in the minors. His salary will be greatly reduced. He will not be taking playing time away from better major league players simply because of the manager's preference.

Over the winter he would appear to be the type of pickup the Sox would need. He is a cheap veteran who solidifies the infield defense. Any offense he has would be a bonus.

So (and I know everyone is cringing as they read this) if Royce can be retained for Lofton type money (1 mil per year), I think he is going to be our shortstop again next year.

Of course we know his attitude is disastrous for a young clubhouse, his fielding is deceptively overrated and he doesn't hit until a team is out of contention. These qualities do not seem to bother management/administration. I am sorry to even think this thought, but the love affair is going to continue.

We ought to start a contest for what Royce's salary will be next season, and whether he'll be riding the bench for some other team in baseball--assuming he has a job at all.

The Sox are dumping veterans currently in the last year of their contract. If Clayton isn't traded by Wednesday, it's only because KW couldn't find anyone to dump him on. As for re-signing him next season...

...cue the Loonie Tunes.

:buddylee
"Will work for food money!"

34 Inch Stick
07-30-2002, 09:07 AM
Long, I wish it was supposed to be in teal. However, I just get a bad feeling about this. The management has never seemed as outraged by his presence as fans. I think they believe that he is a good player and at .230 he should come cheap. I have seen that formula for free agent acquisitions too often.

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 09:10 AM
lol, then there is no-way he should be on the team. he is a cancer and the only reason he is still on the team is b/c no-one wants him. even kw said something to that effect last yr.

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

We ought to start a contest for what Royce's salary will be next season, and whether he'll be riding the bench for some other team in baseball--assuming he has a job at all.

pls don't, i am begging you. when he is gone, i do not want to be reminded of him

baggio202
07-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Long, I wish it was supposed to be in teal. However, I just get a bad feeling about this. The management has never seemed as outraged by his presence as fans. I think they believe that he is a good player and at .230 he should come cheap. I have seen that formula for free agent acquisitions too often.

if royce is resigned..i quit..i will not attend one game next year

hold2dibber
07-30-2002, 09:15 AM
I think 34" may be onto something here. I have a hard time believing that the Sox are dumb enough to just hand SS over to Jiminez or Hummel next year, when neither appear ready. So if they deal Valentin, Clayton would seem to be the very type of stop gap, cheap ass FA the Sox seem to love (lucky us!). On the other hand, I don't know what other SSs will be FAs at the end of this year, so it is possible that there is someone else that fits the bill but isn't a clubhouse cancer and who Sox fans don't despise. But wherever Royce ends up next year, you can be certain he will be making a hell of a lot less than $4 mm/yr.

Sigh. I sure wish that Durham/Clayton for Furcal deal had come through. I wonder if that was really ever a serious possibility.

LongDistanceFan
07-30-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
But wherever Royce ends up next year, you can be certain he will be making a hell of a lot less than $4 mm/yr.

Sigh. I sure wish that Durham/Clayton for Furcal deal had come through. I wonder if that was really ever a serious possibility.

do you think he would resign with the sox for less?

ref clay/dur to atl, prolly not

34 Inch Stick
07-30-2002, 09:21 AM
As I was originally writing this thread I was thinking of Murph's sound bite of the guy screaming then jumping out of a window. My point is I don't think the Sox get that Clayton is a hated character by the fans.

duke of dorwood
07-30-2002, 09:24 AM
If there is no strike, he will be a waiver deal by 8/31. No one will trade for him right now. And hi srecent hitting is a replay of last years late season surge. Get rid of him.

Nellie_Fox
07-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If Clayton isn't traded by Wednesday, it's only because KW couldn't find anyone to dump him on. C'mon, this is KW we're talking about. When he traded Ray for nothing, he threw in $250K to pay part of Ray's salary for the rest of the year. When he traded Sandy for not much more than nothing, he threw in the money to pay all of Sandy's salary for the rest of the year.

So, continuing the logic, all he has to do is find someone willing to take Royce by offering to pay all of Royce's salary the rest of this year and throw in a little bonus cash, besides.

rmusacch
07-30-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
lol, then there is no-way he should be on the team. he is a cancer and the only reason he is still on the team is b/c no-one wants him. even kw said something to that effect last yr.

We all know that KW is full of crap. Why did they acquire him in the first place?

doublem23
07-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

We all know that KW is full of crap. Why did they acquire him in the first place?

Because Kenny thought someone else would be stupid enough to pick up Clayton. Unfortunately, a year and a half later, no one else is that dumb.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-30-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
C'mon, this is KW we're talking about. When he traded Ray for nothing, he threw in $250K to pay part of Ray's salary for the rest of the year. When he traded Sandy for not much more than nothing, he threw in the money to pay all of Sandy's salary for the rest of the year.

So, continuing the logic, all he has to do is find someone willing to take Royce by offering to pay all of Royce's salary the rest of this year and throw in a little bonus cash, besides.

You're right of course, Nellie. It doesn't take any trading acumen to basically give away your ballplayers.

KW is willing to pay other teams to take our ballplayers. As others have noted, the ballplayers kicked in from the other side are strictly tokens. The commissioner of baseball might frown on such an obvious move by the Sox to trash their own organization's talent level.

KW is redefining what it means to receive a "prospect" and "young talent" for veteran ballplayers. Somehow I doubt he really cares...

:reinsy
"The most-important thing for Kenny to do right now is make sure I remain chairman of the White Sox in perpetuity. Young shaver David will take over after me."

This is beginning to look like the Art and Bill Wirtz tag team--with similar results.

:(:

KruseControl04
07-30-2002, 02:52 PM
:thechoice

That's all I have to say.

doublem23
07-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
:thechoice

That's all I have to say.

LOL... I can't believe someone actually uses that tag (that I made to mock the FOB's :smile: )

I think FWC and PHG need to go on another insane Clayton bashing again.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=84

Daver
07-30-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

LOL... I can't believe someone actually uses that tag (that I made to mock the FOC's :smile: )

I think FWC and PHG need to go on another insane Clayton bashing again.

It's useless MM,the FOB absolutely refuse to see the truth.