PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Upton Traded to BRAVES (Was: Upton Rejects Seattle)

blandman
01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/justin-upton-rejects-trade-to-mariners.html

Guess they really are willing to trade him though

DSpivack
01-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Apparently Upton has a no-trade list consisting of the Mariners, Cubs, Red Sox & Blue Jays.

mahagga73
01-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Apparently Upton has a no-trade list consisting of the Mariners, Cubs, Red Sox & Blue Jays.
He might want to reconsider the Blue Jays.

blandman
01-10-2013, 10:03 PM
He might want to reconsider the Blue Jays.

They don't have any more cash anyway. They're actually looking to lose a bit of payroll before the season begins.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2013, 10:18 PM
There were rumors about Upton being traded to the Phillies, who could use a right-handed power bat to compliment Utley and Howard.

palehozenychicty
01-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Is there a good story explaining why Towers has been trying to get rid of him so badly?

I know that he's been inconsistent, but he has the ability to still become a league MVP at a reasonable cost structure.

I've never heard anything, so was curious.

mzh
01-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Is there a good story explaining why Towers has been trying to get rid of him so badly?

I know that he's been inconsistent, but he has the ability to still become a league MVP at a reasonable cost structure.

Even though they've already traded Chris Young, their outfield is still overcrowded. They have Kubel, Upton, and Gerardo Parra penciled in, but they also have a couple top prospects (Adam Eaton and AJ Pollock) who are probably ML ready waiting in the wings. The consensus is that they'd rather trade Kubel, but they want more pitching and Upton will give them far and away the best haul.

CoopaLoop
01-13-2013, 03:20 PM

I have no idea what they are doing there. They give up their best pitching prospect for nothing and now they want to trade their best player.

PalehosePlanet
01-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Upton has been traded to the Braves. Now they have both Upton brothers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/braves-to-acquire-justin-upton.html

BringBackBlkJack
01-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Upton has been traded to the Braves. Now they have both Upton brothers.

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

I will admit I did not have any faith in Liberty Media to fork over this kind of loot. ****, I am glad I was wrong!

pythons007
01-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Doesn't seem like a lot to get Upton, a young talented major league player. He's not making a lot of money and is only 25.

soxfanatlanta
01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
That looks to be a pretty good outfield.

TheVulture
01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
I have no idea what they are doing there. They give up their best pitching prospect for nothing and now they want to trade their best player.

Modern day version of the Kansas City teams of yore, a sort of major league farm team?

This trade doesn't look too bad for AZ, though, IMO. Delgado is a legitimate young ML starting pitcher is he not? Not even arb eligible for three years. Prado is a solid pickup, actually seems to me a classic Dback's style player, plus Zeke Spruil is a legitimate starting pitching prospect not far from the majors.

TheVulture
01-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Doesn't seem like a lot to get Upton, a young talented major league player. He's not making a lot of money and is only 25.

Depends how good Delgado really is. He was a B+ prospect a year ago and pitched fairly well for a 22 year old at the major league level.

Foulke You
01-24-2013, 03:05 PM
The D'backs got a lot less then I thought they would for Upton. Makes me wonder if a package of Viciedo, Quintana, + prospect could have gotten a deal done. Oh well, at least Upton isn't going to a division rival and is staying out of the AL.

skobabe8
01-24-2013, 03:17 PM
That looks to be a pretty good outfield.

Agreed. I like what they have done.

TheVulture
01-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Interesting article on brothers playing together throughout history. Fun fact: On Sept 27, 1998, for the only time in MLB history, the Reds infield consisted of two sets of brothers - and it was the only major league game in Stephen Larkin's career. Barry and Stephen, along with Brett and Aaron Boone.

http://baseballcontinuum.com/2013/01/24/justin-upton-to-the-braves-brothers-in-baseball-and-the-many-inexplicable-appearances-of-the-padres/

CoopaLoop
01-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Braves were going to give up Delgado for Dempster until he ruined any Cubs leverage.

He was a promising prospect and might still become something, but that's not enough to get Justin Upton.

Prado is a one year rental for a team not going anywhere.

Stupid trade for Arizona.

cards press box
01-25-2013, 12:54 AM
One test of a trade is this: which team got the single best player in the deal? That would be Atlanta and Justin Upton, respectively. I'm a fan of Martin Prado but the Braves got the better end of this trade.

RKMeibalane
01-25-2013, 12:56 AM
One test of a trade is this: which team got the single best player in the deal? That would be Atlanta and Justin Upton, respectively. I'm a fan of Martin Prado but the Braves got the better end of this trade.

No question the Braves came out ahead in this trade. Upton had a down year in 2012, but if he plays up to his capabilities, he could be one of the best outfielders in the game. The Braves needed another star to take over for Chipper Jones: it looks like they've found him.

soxfanatlanta
01-25-2013, 06:36 AM
No question the Braves came out ahead in this trade. Upton had a down year in 2012, but if he plays up to his capabilities, he could be one of the best outfielders in the game. The Braves needed another star to take over for Chipper Jones: it looks like they've found him.

They are going to have problems at third; Johnson is more of a liability there. I still think the Braves got better with this move, though.

doublem23
01-25-2013, 06:37 AM
I LOL'ed

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/2012_324955880938615_1423567392_n.jpg

CoopaLoop
01-28-2013, 03:44 AM
I LOL'ed

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/2012_324955880938615_1423567392_n.jpg

I too lol'd