PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Reveal Another Wrigley Renovation Plan

roylestillman
01-09-2013, 07:05 PM
The Cubs released some info regarding a new renovation plan for Wrigley and the properties they own around it. Its part of a plan they have started shopping around to Wrigleyville neighbors. The real story here is that this "scoop" was broken by the new upstart e-paper DNAinfo Chicago, a publication entirely owned by the Ricketts family, (a seemingly credible news source which has lured away Pulitzer Prize winning writer Mark Konkol from the Sun-Times.) The plans will be formally released on January 19th.

So in their usual bumbling way, the Cubbies have now managed to piss off mainstream media by having the story "broken" by their family enterprise. The Ricketts can't seem to get out of their own way.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130109/wrigleyville/wrigley-field-renovation-plan-calls-for-movies-outside-park-hotel

DumpJerry
01-09-2013, 11:52 PM
Bigger dugouts! The fans' voices have been heard!!!!

LITTLE NELL
01-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Bigger dugouts! The fans' voices have been heard!!!!

Bigger dugouts=more wins.

moochpuppy
01-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Darn, was hoping this was a complete tear-down restoration. :wink:

Red Barchetta
01-10-2013, 11:21 AM
The mystique of that ballpark is the only thing that organization has going for it. No way would they draw 3M "fans" each season if they played in a clone of Olympic Stadium located in the suburbs.

The smartest thing they can do is to continue and invest in the tourism dollars and build on the Wrigley Field mystique. It has nothing to do with winning baseball, however that's not their goal.

PalehosePlanet
01-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Still don't know why Wrigley is a landmark; the stadium is of zero architectural significance.

Also, the article makes it sound like the team is working with at least 80 acres of space. Hotel, retail shops, parking, etc...How much space are they working with?

doublem23
01-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Still don't know why Wrigley is a landmark; the stadium is of zero architectural significance.

It's one of only two Jewelbox Era Stadiums still left in the Majors.

Scarcity is a real measure of architectural significance. The Water Tower didn't carry much notoriety when it was built in 1869 but then it survived the Fire and its mystique was born.

Thome25
01-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Scarcity is a real measure of architectural significance. The Water Tower didn't carry much notoriety when it was built in 1869 but then it survived the Fire and its mystique was born.

As a baseball fan, I respect the historical significance of Wrigley Field.

I love Chicago and IMO it is the greatest city in the world. Wrigley Field is good for the city because it brings in revenue and I can respect that also.

The problem isn't the Cubs or Wrigley Field per se. The problem is the meatball fans (and tourists) who show up like a bunch of lemmings and are gladly spoon-fed bull**** by the franchise.

Red Barchetta
01-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Also, the article makes it sound like the team is working with at least 80 acres of space. Hotel, retail shops, parking, etc...How much space are they working with?

I think Rickett's should try and buy out the rooftop building owners. Move club admistrative offices there and perhaps lease out some restaurant space. Then install lights similar to those at Camden Yards, on top of the buildings so that the outfield lighting is on par with the rest of MLB.

They already worked out a deal for the land where the McDonalds is located.

forrestg
01-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Wrigley field is a dump no matter what you do to it. Dump renovation ?

cub killer
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM

The Water Tower has never been notorious.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Why don't they just destroy the ****ing thing? Who cares if it's a landmark?

forrestg
01-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Why don't they just destroy the ****ing thing? Who cares if it's a landmark?
I like implosions I think it should come down responsibly.

sachin
01-19-2013, 12:15 PM
The Cubs won't win a World Series in their new ballpark. :D:

But seriously, folks, if 5K fans a game each pay $100 for "The Wrigley Experience", that's smart business. I also think that all fans of the game should visit Wrigley once, just to see an old-time park. However, it seems like Ricketts & Co. is taking the renovation of Wrigley in the same direction of Soldier Field; souping-it-up in such a way that the old-time charms of the stadium are going to be superseded by amenities that fans expect in a modern facility. What will happen is that Wrigley will slide into being a crappy place to watch a game and the unique nostalgia of the place will be looooooooooong gone. Kinda seems like that ship has started to sail.

roylestillman
01-19-2013, 02:48 PM
The Cubs won't win a World Series in their new ballpark. :D:

But seriously, folks, if 5K fans a game each pay $100 for "The Wrigley Experience", that's smart business. I also think that all fans of the game should visit Wrigley once, just to see an old-time park. However, it seems like Ricketts & Co. is taking the renovation of Wrigley in the same direction of Soldier Field; souping-it-up in such a way that the old-time charms of the stadium are going to be superseded by amenities that fans expect in a modern facility. What will happen is that Wrigley will slide into being a crappy place to watch a game and the unique nostalgia of the place will be looooooooooong gone. Kinda seems like that ship has started to sail.
Also I wonder if the Ricketts realize that dropping the Landmark status will remove the Class L property tax break on Wrigley for both the current park and any improvements to the park they may do.

jamokes
01-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Kinda reminds me of the old joke................What is the difference between the Cardinals, White Sox and cubs? The Cards and our Sox have won World Championships in their new stadiums.......the cubs haven't yet. (THINK ABOUT IT!!):bandance:

34rancher
01-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Kinda reminds me of the old joke................What is the difference between the Cardinals, White Sox and cubs? The Cards and our Sox have won World Championships in their new stadiums.......the cubs haven't yet. (THINK ABOUT IT!!):bandance:

oh the curses.

tstrike2000
01-19-2013, 10:30 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lj0oYgjjBvs/Tpe3O0mLeQI/AAAAAAAAAY0/HWwGLTD3gd0/s320/wrecking-ball-small.jpg

The only renovation that should be done.

dickallen15
01-20-2013, 12:09 PM
They are willing to pay for it themselves if some landmark restrictions are relaxed. I don't know why anyone would be opposed to that. Everything will be new. The renderings actually look pretty nice.

Red Barchetta
01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
They are willing to pay for it themselves if some landmark restrictions are relaxed. I don't know why anyone would be opposed to that. Everything will be new. The renderings actually look pretty nice.

I give Ricketts credit. He knows his cash cow is the ballpark and not the team on the field. If they happen to win, great, however he is going to invest where he can continue to get his biggest return.

I can see him eventually buying out some of the roof-top owners/buildings as well.

DumpJerry
01-20-2013, 06:05 PM
I give Ricketts credit. He knows his cash cow is the ballpark and not the team on the field. If they happen to win, great, however he is going to invest where he can continue to get his biggest return.

I can see him eventually buying out some of the roof-top owners/buildings as well.
They sell out their games already. The team sucks, so they can't increase the prices too much. How will they make up the $300,000,000.00 he wants to spend? There will be new revenues from the hotel and any other stuff they build outside the stadium, but how long will it take them to recoup the money, especially if they are paying higher property taxes (which will happen regardless landmark status since some of the PINs are unimproved and will be jacked up once they build on them).

dickallen15
01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
They sell out their games already. The team sucks, so they can't increase the prices too much. How will they make up the $300,000,000.00 he wants to spend? There will be new revenues from the hotel and any other stuff they build outside the stadium, but how long will it take them to recoup the money, especially if they are paying higher property taxes (which will happen regardless landmark status since some of the PINs are unimproved and will be jacked up once they build on them).

That is for him to worry about. If he's not asking for public money, I think Emanuel et al would be idiots not to ease the landmark restrictions.

DumpJerry
01-20-2013, 11:58 PM
That is for him to worry about. If he's not asking for public money, I think Emanuel et al would be idiots not to ease the landmark restrictions.
If they renovate "too much," the tourists might want to check out the Water Tower instead.

Right now, The Urinal has cache for how it looks now. If they start adding more display ads (can't do unless the landmark designation is changed) and whiz-bang electronics, then it is just another baseball stadium and not "beautiful Wrigley Field."

DrCrawdad
01-21-2013, 12:26 AM
So the Rickets want to renovate Wrigley and make it opposite everything Cubbie Clowns have said they love about the dump.

tebman
01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
If they renovate "too much," the tourists might want to check out the Water Tower instead.

Right now, The Urinal has cache for how it looks now. If they start adding more display ads (can't do unless the landmark designation is changed) and whiz-bang electronics, then it is just another baseball stadium and not "beautiful Wrigley Field."

It's hard for me to believe that Ricketts and Epstein are as tone-deaf as they sometimes appear. Certainly they know that the ballpark is their golden goose and that they'd be fools to screw it up. The ball club is simply the activity that goes on inside the tourist attraction they operate.

They've got some real physical challenges to deal with. How do you add (http://vineline.mlblogs.com/2013/01/19/cubs-convention-live-restoring-wrigley-field/)"42%" more restrooms, a fan deck in left field, an expanded clubhouse, more concession stands, etc., without significantly changing the appearance of the ballpark? Add to that the likely need to rebuild the 100 year-old structural core of the building and it becomes a major renovation. My guess is that they're willing to lose the landmark status if it allows them to increase their cash flow.

That place morphed a long time ago from a baseball park to a myth-imbued venue that was an ATM machine for the Tribune and still is now for Ricketts. Baseball is just one of the interchangeable events they host there.

Irishsox1
01-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Also I wonder if the Ricketts realize that dropping the Landmark status will remove the Class L property tax break on Wrigley for both the current park and any improvements to the park they may do.

I can't tell if the Cubs are receiving any Class L relief and that if the removal of the landmark status would result in a higher tax bill. I'm guessing whatever additional revenue the improvements would bring in would offset any additional increase in taxes. Anyways, the removal of the landmark status would give the Ricketts the ability to make changes to Wrigley without running every proposed idea through the government, which I imagine drags their feet.

Also, for 2011 the Cook County Fair Market Value for Wrigley Field was $32,119,984 with a real estate tax bill of $1,493,002.47.

doublem23
01-21-2013, 12:10 PM

I doubt that. Fenway has been gutted and tourists still talk about it like its some kind of shrine. Unless they tear Wrigley down to the foundation, people will still think the LED scoreboards and canned pop music are all part of the Jazz Age charm

CoopaLoop
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM

yeah, that's never going to happen.