PDA

View Full Version : New BP Caps

anewman35
12-27-2012, 07:02 AM
According to Uni Watch, everybody is getting new BP hats this year. See pictures at http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/16228/first-look-new-mlb-batting-practice-caps. Lots of teams are going with retro or alternate logos, or different primary colors, but ours is actually one of the most traditional looking ones.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8361/8310664632_de7a96423c.jpg

beasly213
12-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Love the Mr. Met one the Mets are using. This one looks like everyones favorite. The black with the silver brim. I just hope they are able to lay flat on your head and don't have that "box" look that the New Eras tend to have.

ohiosoxfan
12-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Not bad. . but would have been a great opportunity to utilize the Flying Sock logo!!!

SephClone89
12-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Not bad. . but would have been a great opportunity to utilize the Flying Sock logo!!!

Flying sock or diamond sock?

WhiteSox5187
12-27-2012, 12:39 PM
I am glad we went back to the hats we wore from like 1999-2005, but I can't stand the other hats using their secondary logos.

Max Power
12-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Would have liked to have seen the diamond sock logo. There, I said it.

It's fine. Predictable, but fine.

esbrechtel
12-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I want to know why the team has started to take that sock logo out of rotation....

They took it off the road unis and had an opportunity to throw it on a cap and didn't...

MARTINMVP
12-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Look good. I'll purchase if they are 39THIRTY.

Thome25
01-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I've been a BIG fan of the BP caps since they started with the stretch fit material back in 2003. They tend to fit my enormous noggin alot better than the authentic 5950 collection.

I have to say that I LOVE these new designs. The last couple BP designs have been God-awful with the ear fenders and then the misplaced piping on the bills and backs of the caps.

But these are simply fantastic. I love the retro designs with the contrasting crowns on a lot of them and the use of some of the alternate logos (Mr Met, Mr Redleg, and the A's elephant in particular). The caps themselves are more traditional and conservative which is a step in the right direction.

It's hard to tell from the pics but I hope they still use the stretch fit material. The crowns look a little bigger and the bills look flatter. I sure hope that doesn't mean they're going to be like the tall "mushroom style" of the authentic 5950s.

I'm also really happy that the Sox are going back to the silver bill and button.

Red Barchetta
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I've been a BIG fan of the BP caps since they started with the stretch fit material back in 2003. They tend to fit my enormous noggin alot better than the authentic 5950 collection.

I have to say that I LOVE these new designs. The last couple BP designs have been God-awful with the ear fenders and then the misplaced piping on the bills and backs of the caps.

But these are simply fantastic. I love the retro designs with the contrasting crowns on a lot of them and the use of some of the alternate logos (Mr Met, Mr Redleg, and the A's elephant in particular). The caps themselves are more traditional and conservative which is a step in the right direction.

It's hard to tell from the pics but I hope they still use the stretch fit material. The crowns look a little bigger and the bills look flatter. I sure hope that doesn't mean they're going to be like the tall "mushroom style" of the authentic 5950s.

I'm also really happy that the Sox are going back to the silver bill and button.

I agree. If they maintain the 39Thirty material these should rock. I don't think the flat renderings shown on the website really display the form of the cap.

Most of the new caps are an improvement, however I wish Toronto would have maintained the modernized Blue Jay head with a red bill. I might go out and get one of their current BP caps before they disappear.

Brian26
01-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Lids.com is having a sale today. The old caps are $10. You can have them shipped to a lids store for free pickup.

Thome25
01-02-2013, 10:59 AM
I agree. If they maintain the 39Thirty material these should rock. I don't think the flat renderings shown on the website really display the form of the cap.

Most of the new caps are an improvement, however I wish Toronto would have maintained the modernized Blue Jay head with a red bill. I might go out and get one of their current BP caps before they disappear.

Even though i'm a White Sox fan first, whenever I find a cap style that I really like (such as the BP caps) I usually get all of the ones I think look nice.

I picked up the Blue Jays BP cap from last season when MLB was having it's $10 clearance sale.

Per Brian26's message above, It looks like Lids.com is clearing out their inventory of batting practice caps for $10 today.

I'd jump on that ASAP if I was you.

DaveFeelsRight
01-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Anyone know when these go on sale? I assume around spring training?

Thome25
01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Anyone know when these go on sale? I assume around spring training?

Most likely within the next month or so.

amsteel
01-02-2013, 03:15 PM
That silver brim is brutal. Woof.

Red Barchetta
01-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Lids.com is having a sale today. The old caps are $10. You can have them shipped to a lids store for free pickup.

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked the site and they don't have the Blue Jays BP cap listed. They show about 25 other MLB BP caps for $10.00, but not the Blue Jays. :(:

Edit - found it, however I had to perform a Google search to get me to it on the Lids website. It wasn't in the Toronto Blue Jays section or in the MLB section. However, it looks like there are no sizes available. Might be sold out.

http://www.lids.com/MLB/Toronto-Blue-Jays/20374215

Brian26
02-12-2013, 07:17 PM
So, wow, did Major League Baseball screw these up. Giant crown instead of the low-profile crown of the last 10 years. Flat brim instead of the curved-style. The SOX logo isn't the raised sewn lettering that looks three-dimensional, but instead it looks like a iron-on patch with a weird thick black outline around it.

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-15000949dt.jpg

Red Barchetta
02-13-2013, 04:31 PM
So, wow, did Major League Baseball screw these up. Giant crown instead of the low-profile crown of the last 10 years. Flat brim instead of the curved-style. The SOX logo isn't the raised sewn lettering that looks three-dimensional, but instead it looks like a iron-on patch with a weird thick black outline around it.

Yeah, I'm not liking the fact that the ST/BP caps are now the 59Fifty, fitted caps. I liked the 39/Thirty stretch caps that they have had over the past few seasons. They have a lower crown and fit my head better, even though I wasn't crazy about the last two styles. I really like the style of the 2013 cap, but was hoping it would be a 39/Thirty. Plus the new caps are $34.99!!!!

FYI, mlb.com is having a sale on the 2012 BP caps. They are regularly $27.99, but today they are only $9.99! I just scored the 2012 Blue Jays cap that I wanted after finding out that they switched to the red maple leaf for their 2013 ST/BP cap. I really like their Blue Jay head logo. Obviously limited to current stock and not all teams are available.

beasly213
02-14-2013, 07:59 AM

While I agree they are ugly as hell, MLB didn't screw anything up. Not sure if you've noticed but those "box" style hats with a flat brim are all people are wearing now, along with the obnoxious sticker still on the hat. :angry:

As long as they keep a banner 47 brand option as a hat for me to buy I'll be happy.

Red Barchetta
02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
While I agree they are ugly as hell, MLB didn't screw anything up. Not sure if you've noticed but those "box" style hats with a flat brim are all people are wearing now, along with the obnoxious sticker still on the hat. :angry:

As long as they keep a banner 47 brand option as a hat for me to buy I'll be happy.

Funny, because I was discussing this with a friend of mine the other day. We noticed a lot of guys now where sports caps to match up with their wardrobe. They may not be a SOX fan, but want a Gray/Black SOX cap to match up with their Gray/Black track suit.

I saw a guy the other day dressed out completely in North Carolina team colors and then saw the same guy the next day dressed up in Cincinnati Reds Black/Red. Both times, with the flat, square-ish brim with the New Era stickers still on. Is that a fashion trend or do they just tuck in the price tag return the cap after a few weeks for a refund?

Then there are the actual team fans who just want a nice, comfortable cap. I remember when the SOX introduced their current black cap the final season in Old Comiskey. I think I wore that cap every day for one year straight as I liked it that much! It was the old wool material with the gray under bill and it had the lower crown compared to the retail New Era 59/Fifty caps they sell today. It fit great.

SephClone89
02-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Funny, because I was discussing this with a friend of mine the other day. We noticed a lot of guys now where sports caps to match up with their wardrobe. They may not be a SOX fan, but want a Gray/Black SOX cap to match up with their Gray/Black track suit.

I saw a guy the other day dressed out completely in North Carolina team colors and then saw the same guy the next day dressed up in Cincinnati Reds Black/Red. Both times, with the flat, square-ish brim with the New Era stickers still on. Is that a fashion trend or do they just tuck in the price tag return the cap after a few weeks for a refund?

I saw a guy wearing a Cubs t shirt and a Brewers cap one day at ISU...

And yes, New Era stickers are a fashion trend...a relatively long-lived one, actually. I think that started at least six years ago or so. I've seen a couple of people wearing older caps that still have their tags on them...which is hilarious.

TheOldRoman
02-14-2013, 09:06 AM

First off, that's not a flat brim, that's just how it looks in the picture. It's the same brim that is on their game caps, and it can be easily bent.

As for the logo, they white area is the same material as the rest of the cap, and of course it is sewn on with the black border. This is what Adidas started doing with the numbers on NBA jerseys last year. It is basically a marketing ploy to sell products by saying "we got the item 0.47% lighter and it wicks sweat 3.1% faster." I doubt anybody is going to feel a relief from the strained neck that was caused by the quarter-ounce of that bulky logo emboidery, but whatever. I still have the hat style they wore from 2004-2006, which is basically this with a normal logo (and possibly a lower crown), so I won't be paying $35 for this anyway.

Brian26
02-14-2013, 06:46 PM
First off, that's not a flat brim, that's just how it looks in the picture. It's the same brim that is on their game caps, and it can be easily bent.

It sounds like you don't own any of these hats or have never worn them. The last three versions of the BP hat had a pre-molded curve to the bill. That's how they were sold at the stores brand new. This hat as pictured, and sold, has the bull**** flat brim that you can wear like Josh Fields and Edwin Jackson.

Its just my opinion of course, and anyone can disagree with me, but this style and design is inferior. I loved the last three BP hats with low profiles, curved bills and raised stitched logos.

Then again I'm shocked that MLB is selling mesh trucker caps and snapback hats. Just not a good look Imo.

TheOldRoman
02-14-2013, 09:22 PM
It sounds like you don't own any of these hats or have never worn them. The last three versions of the BP hat had a pre-molded curve to the bill. That's how they were sold at the stores brand new. This hat as pictured, and sold, has the bull**** flat brim that you can wear like Josh Fields and Edwin Jackson.

Its just my opinion of course, and anyone can disagree with me, but this style and design is inferior. I loved the last three BP hats with low profiles, curved bills and raised stitched logos.

Then again I'm shocked that MLB is selling mesh trucker caps and snapback hats. Just not a good look Imo.I own several game caps and, like I said, have the 04-06 BP cap which looks like this one (and I think that was three caps ago). The previous BP caps were the 3930 which had a lower crown, and while the bill came more curved, it wasn't different design wise from the games caps, the 5950s. They always ship the 5950s with flat brims. However, the huge majority of fans and players have no problem curving the brims on the game caps. So you might not like the logo application on this cap (I don't) and you might not like the high crown, but the bill is going to be the same as the previous BP caps when you break it in.

Red Barchetta
02-15-2013, 07:40 AM

Then again I'm shocked that MLB is selling mesh trucker caps and snapback hats. Just not a good look Imo.

I really liked the fit of the 39/Thirty BP caps as well. I just didn't like the previous designs with the ear fenders and two-toned bills. That's why I was excited when I saw the design of the new caps. Now I'm just as disappointed that they are the fitted, 59/Fifty caps with the higher crown.

I get the whole fashion craze and it's nice that they offer a wide selection of "fashion caps" for people who want that kind of stuff, however I'm disappointed that I don't like the fit of the actual New Era caps "worn by the players on the field". It never used to be like that as the original wool caps used to fit great. Now I find the replica caps, Nike, etc. with the stretch fit or velcro tap actually fit and look better on my head than the "pro" versions. :mad:

mahagga73
02-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I really like this new hat out, it's a late 70's early 80's style. Comiskey Park patch on side, fitted.

MARTINMVP
02-15-2013, 11:43 PM
I just noticed a new 39 THIRTY style "Spring Tech" cap at Lids.com. It looks like an updated version of the last two previous BP caps (2007-2008, 2010-12).

Looking at it online, I think it may have potential, but I'll reserve full judgement until I see it in person.

http://www.lids.com/MLB/Chicago-White-Sox/20466021

mahagga73
02-16-2013, 05:41 PM

Really, I think they are sweet looking. What's wrong with them, I wish the Sox would keep the grey bills at least for some games.

Thome25
03-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Anyone try these on for size yet?

I'm in the market for one of these and I'd like some feedback on the fit, fabric, and comfort before I spend $36 bucks on a cap I might not like.

I was a big fan of the fit and fabric of the 3930 BP caps from the last several years and I'd like to know how these new ones compare.

I'm hoping they're not like the giant mushroom top Authentic game 5950 caps.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

Thome25
03-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Really, I think they are sweet looking. What's wrong with them, I wish the Sox would keep the grey bills at least for some games.

The description on the lids website says that the new BP caps could be worn for select regular season games.

TheOldRoman
03-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Anyone try these on for size yet?

I'm in the market for one of these and I'd like some feedback on the fit, fabric, and comfort before I spend $36 bucks on a cap I might not like.

I was a big fan of the fit and fabric of the 3930 BP caps from the last several years and I'd like to know how these new ones compare.

I'm hoping they're not like the giant mushroom top Authentic game 5950 caps.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!
I haven't tried them on, but I have heard from several people that they run really big, close to a whole size bigger. I'd recommend trying one on and not buy it online, if possible.

jmeneghini1433
03-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Tried one on yesterday and yes, they do run about a size bigger

Red Barchetta
03-08-2013, 04:24 PM
The description on the lids website says that the new BP caps could be worn for select regular season games.

I always thought a black cap with a gray bill would look great matched up with the road black alternate jerseys and gray pants. :cool: