PDA

View Full Version : Omar Vizquel Retires

WhiteSox5187
12-25-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't know how to quote a tweet and it is entirely possible that this has been known for a long time and I was unaware of it, but per his Twitter account he has retired. I don't know how to quote a tweet but his twitter page is here: https://twitter.com/VizquelOmar13

He tweeted it about six hours ago.

Brian26
12-25-2012, 11:14 PM
This has another White Sox connection other than the obvious; he was the last active player to ever play at Old Comiskey.

WhiteSox5187
12-25-2012, 11:41 PM
This has another White Sox connection other than the obvious; he was the last active player to ever play at Old Comiskey.

You're right, I forgot about that. Wow. It's hard to believe that New Comiskey is going to be 22 years old. It's also the 6th oldest stadium I think.

BainesHOF
12-26-2012, 12:19 AM
Let's be honest, Vizquel retired a couple years ago. He's been stealing money.

TDog
12-26-2012, 12:26 AM
I don't know how to quote a tweet and it is entirely possible that this has been known for a long time and I was unaware of it, but per his Twitter account he has retired. I don't know how to quote a tweet but his twitter page is here: https://twitter.com/VizquelOmar13 (https://twitter.com/VizquelOmar13)

He tweeted it about six hours ago.

Vizquel's retirement at the end of the 2012 season got some attention from the MLB Network the last day of the regular season. The Blue Jays started hiim at shortstop, he singled in his last at bat and came out of the game defensively with two out in the ninth to give hiim a chance to walk off the field to applause. It looked like a nice way to end his Hall of Fame career.

WhiteSox5187
12-26-2012, 01:25 AM

He did a pretty good job as a back up in Texas and did a fantastic job coming off of the bench for the White Sox in 2010.

Brian26
12-26-2012, 08:22 AM

I recall him getting picked off second base in a critical game in KC halfway through the season in 2010 when the Sox were still in the hunt. He was half-assing it pretty much the entire two years he was with the Sox.

Not to say I don't respect him for putting together a HOF-worthy career, because never in a million years did I think he would be a HOFer when he came up with the Mariners in the late 80s.

SephClone89
12-26-2012, 08:56 AM
I recall him getting picked off second base in a critical game in KC halfway through the season in 2010 when the Sox were still in the hunt. He was half-assing it pretty much the entire two years he was with the Sox.

Well, if it's your anecdote against mine, I recall him providing quite a spark and relief to the team after Teahen went down in Tampa, which coincided with a defensive surge from TCM and a 25-5 run going into the All-Star Break.

Not to mention he was pretty damn decent offensively for a light-hitting 43 year old middle infielder.

Oblong
12-26-2012, 09:04 AM
I was at a game in mid August and when Omar got a hit they retrieved the ball. I think it was known then he was retiring. We made a comment at the time that we were wondering if he was keeping all of them in case it was his last career hit? Or maybe he passed someone on a hit list.

Chez
12-26-2012, 10:26 AM
I wonder what the great Felix Fermin is up to these days?

TaylorStSox
12-26-2012, 11:21 AM
I wonder if he'll be the last of the defensive only hall of famers. Imo, he's a lock despite hitting over. 300 only once with no power.

TDog
12-26-2012, 11:51 AM

He looked like he was done during his last year in San Francisco, but the White Sox got more out of him than anyone expected.

thomas35forever
12-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Hell of a career and a nice two-year stint with us. Way to go, Omar!

SephClone89
12-26-2012, 12:47 PM
I wonder if he'll be the last of the defensive only hall of famers. Imo, he's a lock despite hitting over. 300 only once with no power.

Some aren't convinced by his HOF case, actually. His supporters cast him as the 90s equivalent of Ozzie Smith, but some of the numbers suggest that Vizquel's glove was nowhere near Smith's.

Myself, I'm on the fence.

winstonage
12-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Some aren't convinced by his HOF case, actually. His supporters cast him as the 90s equivalent of Ozzie Smith, but some of the numbers suggest that Vizquel's glove was nowhere near Smith's.

Myself, I'm on the fence.

I remember early in his career, he was called, "A poor man's Ozzie Guillen". Funny how it worked out. Ozzie was a poor mans Vizquel.

Zakath
12-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Shame he didn't get to 3000 (ended up 123 short) but he should be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

WhiteSox5187
12-26-2012, 10:05 PM
I remember early in his career, he was called, "A poor man's Ozzie Guillen". Funny how it worked out. Ozzie was a poor mans Vizquel.

I don't remember Ozzie before he blew out his knee (and even then I barely remember him as a player other than thinking he was funny) but I read in Sports Illustrated that the people over at FanGraphs thought he was one of the most underrated defensive shortstops of all time and one of the best of the 1980s.

chicagowhitesox1
12-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Omar Visquel will make the hof but he's deff not a first ballot hofer. He gets compared to Aparicio alot but Aparicio was a much better baserunner and I would say both are about even in hitting and defense.

Brian26
12-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Shame he didn't get to 3000 (ended up 123 short) but he should be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

Crazy. Vizquel ends up with 11 more hits than Harold Baines, 2877 to 2866.

chicagowhitesox1
12-26-2012, 11:30 PM
It's to bad about Baines, he deff would have gotten 3000 hits if not for playing through 3 strike shortened seasons.

Falstaff
12-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Well, if it's your anecdote against mine, I recall him providing quite a spark and relief to the team after Teahen went down in Tampa, which coincided with a defensive surge from TCM and a 25-5 run going into the All-Star Break.

Not to mention he was pretty damn decent offensively for a light-hitting 43 year old middle infielder.

Yes and there were at least a couple games Omar was batting in the DH slot.
It really called attention to how hot he was hitting at the time and how weak the White Sox lineup was that year, leading many to demand we sign Adam Dunn to be a legit DH. Hindsight.

TDog
12-27-2012, 02:22 AM
Yes and there were at least a couple games Omar was batting in the DH slot.
It really called attention to how hot he was hitting at the time and how weak the White Sox lineup was that year, leading many to demand we sign Adam Dunn to be a legit DH. Hindsight.

I only recall Vizquel DHing once for the White Sox, early in the 2010 season, and he got a hit in the game. I believe it was his only career start as a DH, although in 2011 he pinch-hit late for Konerko who was DHing in a win against the Twins. He also pinch-hit once for DH Ben Francisco in Toronto in a win against the Orioles this season, so he shows up as being a former Blue Jays DH in the history books.

WhiteSox5187
12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
I only recall Vizquel DHing once for the White Sox, early in the 2010 season, and he got a hit in the game. I believe it was his only career start as a DH, although in 2011 he pinch-hit late for Konerko who was DHing in a win against the Twins. He also pinch-hit once for DH Ben Francisco in Toronto in a win against the Orioles this season, so he shows up as being a former Blue Jays DH in the history books.

He appeared in two games as a DH in 1993 for Seattle. I am not sure if he started those games or was used as a pinch runner or what.

downstairs
12-27-2012, 02:42 PM
You're right, I forgot about that. Wow. It's hard to believe that New Comiskey is going to be 22 years old. It's also the 6th oldest stadium I think.

9th oldest, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_stadiums

...Then sort by year. Still pretty wild to realize that.