PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Kubel?

thomas35forever
12-23-2012, 01:04 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-12-23/chicago-white-sox-trade-rumors-jason-kubel-justin-upton-arizona-diamondbacks
There's also been talk about Upton. I'd be all for acquiring either one.

JohnTucker0814
12-23-2012, 02:07 PM
I just really want to see Dunn traded.. I'm hoping the Orioles get desperate because LaRoche will sign with Wash and Smoak isn't really an option.

I'd take pretty much anything for Dunn, but how great would it be to get Jonathan Schoop for him! I know, pipe dream!

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2012, 02:23 PM
I just really want to see Dunn traded.. I'm hoping the Orioles get desperate because LaRoche will sign with Wash and Smoak isn't really an option.

I'd take pretty much anything for Dunn, but how great would it be to get Jonathan Schoop for him! I know, pipe dream!

Trading Dunn (or PK) would create space for a LH OF like Kubel, allowing the DH slot to be rotated among the OFs.

LoveYourSuit
12-23-2012, 04:52 PM
I would even do Kubel for Viciedo.

Yes, call me crazy.

getonbckthr
12-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Yes, call me crazy.

Sounds like they would trade Kubel because they have too many OFers.

Lip Man 1
12-23-2012, 10:35 PM
If you're going to dream, dream big. Get both of them.

Lip

Chez
12-24-2012, 01:20 PM

Yes, call me crazy.

You sir, are crazy.

SoxSpeed22
12-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Alexei for Kubel I would welcome. I think Alexei is on the decline. I would rather not have to give up a whole lot for him though.

asindc
12-24-2012, 02:42 PM
you sir, are crazy.

+1

LoveYourSuit
12-24-2012, 02:50 PM
+1

Sorry boys. Hope I'm wrong, but Viciedo has that hack approach at the plate which I don't think anyone can coach.

I'll take the LH proven pop from Kubel for the next 2 years to try to win and I'll let another team deal with Vicideo's raw talent.

spawn
12-24-2012, 03:03 PM
You sir, are crazy.

+1
+2
Sorry boys. Hope I'm wrong, but Viciedo has that hack approach at the plate which I don't think anyone can coach.

I'll take the LH proven pop from Kubel for the next 2 years to try to win and I'll let another team deal with Vicideo's raw talent.

The man has one full season under his belt. Unless you are a hitting coach, which I'm pretty sure you aren't, you don't know this.

spawn
12-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Alexei for Kubel I would welcome. I think Alexei is on the decline. I would rather not have to give up a whole lot for him though.

So you would, in effect, sacrifice a position of strength defensively for an offensive player? And who would play shortstop? Don't we already have a LH power hitter that plays suspect defense?

CoopaLoop
12-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Why is everyone excited about a guy that hit .176 after July 22nd last season?

DonnieDarko
12-25-2012, 09:25 AM
So you would, in effect, sacrifice a position of strength defensively for an offensive player? And who would play shortstop? Don't we already have a LH power hitter that plays suspect defense?

+1.

SS is a positional strength, not one that we should be so quick to just give up. Shortstops who are good defensively and at least above average offensively (and in Ramirez's case, clutch) are very, very rare. I may not be all that old, but I know good talent when I've seen it play for the last 4+ years. Ramirez is a keeper.

Trust me when I say that, unless this Sanchez kid in the minors can hit in MLB, most everyone is going to miss Alexei Ramirez when he eventually has to leave.

SoxSpeed22
12-25-2012, 09:28 AM
I would only make the trade if they could find another guy defensively, since up the middle defense was a strength last year. I still don't think Kubel is worth much.

DumpJerry
12-25-2012, 09:59 AM
A Cub fan friend of mine said this of Paul Maholm early last season:
"He is a Cub killer. He beat us when he was with the Pirates and he beats us when he's with us."

The same can be said of Kubel. Each year it seemed like he hit 15 home runs, 20 of them against the White Sox (no typo).

russ99
12-25-2012, 10:31 AM
+2

The man has one full season under his belt. Unless you are a hitting coach, which I'm pretty sure you aren't, you don't know this.

A bit irritated with this tack dismissing rightful concern with what we're seeing.

He has 711 AB over three seasons. It's not like he's a rookie with half as many ABs.

IMO, trading Viciedo for Kubel would be selling Dayan way too short. Hitters like Kubel are available in FA every year. Ditto Alexei, but his ascending contract makes him less of an asset.

spawn
12-25-2012, 11:34 AM
A bit irritated with this tack dismissing rightful concern with what we're seeing.

He has 711 AB over three seasons. It's not like he's a rookie with half as many ABs.

2010- 38 games, 104 AB's
2011- 29 games, 102 AB's
2012- 147 games, 505 AB's

He played in twice as many games last season as he did the previous two combined. So, as I said, he has one full season under his belt. Sorry if the truth irritates you.

As for the "proven pop" from Kubel, his stats last season are pretty much in line with Viciedo's, so how is he an upgrade?

JB98
12-25-2012, 12:14 PM
The Sox shouldn't subtract Viciedo, Ramirez or anybody else from the everyday lineup to add Kubel.

That said, I'm not opposed to adding Kubel to this roster. WSI posters, including me, have spent a good deal of time on this board complaining about the Sox lack of depth. I would love it if this team had 10 or 11 position players you could put in the lineup and feel good about. That's not something the Sox had last year.

Would a DH rotation involving Dunn, Konerko, Kubel and Viciedo be so bad? I think not. As a matter of fact, that would make this team better. Whichever guy isn't in the lineup on a given day could then come off the bench and pinch-hit for a guy like Beckham in a game situation, if need be.

Of course, everything I've said here may be a pie-in-the-sky scenario. I don't know what Arizona is looking for. The Sox should not be trading anyone out of the everyday MLB lineup. Simply put, that is not a position of strength for this club, IMO.

spawn
12-25-2012, 12:33 PM
The Sox shouldn't subtract Viciedo, Ramirez or anybody else from the everyday lineup to add Kubel.

That said, I'm not opposed to adding Kubel to this roster. WSI posters, including me, have spent a good deal of time on this board complaining about the Sox lack of depth. I would love it if this team had 10 or 11 position players you could put in the lineup and feel good about. That's not something the Sox had last year.

Would a DH rotation involving Dunn, Konerko, Kubel and Viciedo be so bad? I think not. As a matter of fact, that would make this team better. Whichever guy isn't in the lineup on a given day could then come off the bench and pinch-hit for a guy like Beckham in a game situation, if need be.

Of course, everything I've said here may be a pie-in-the-sky scenario. I don't know what Arizona is looking for. The Sox should not be trading anyone out of the everyday MLB lineup. Simply put, that is not a position of strength for this club, IMO.
Now this makes sense and isn't at all crazy.

KRS1
12-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Not sure where or how Kubel makes us even a little bit better on the roster outside of being a left handed bat. He's an average corner OF coming off a career year in the National League with a ton of strikeouts. I don't even consider trading anything of value for him let alone Alexei or Tank -- that would be a ****ing joke.

dickallen15
12-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Why is everyone excited about a guy that hit .176 after July 22nd last season?

Adam Dunn hit.181 after May 26th last year, and people love him and his $15 million salary.

johnnyg83
12-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Adam Dunn hit.181 after May 26th last year, and people love him and his $15 million salary.

Who people?

CoopaLoop
12-26-2012, 10:51 PM

What does Adam Dunn have to do with giving up players of value for Jason Kubel?

I know that is a fun phrase to throw around, but it has nothing to do with the present conversation. Hell if anything it should be a deterrent to getting Kubel because we already have a very expensive version of Kubel.

Domeshot17
12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Kubel, no, but I would move Vicideo and Ramirez for Upton in a second.

Ramirez, if he doesn't find his bat, puts us in a bit of a spot. The White Sox could literally be below average offensively at all 4 positions up the middle. While these are primarly defensive first positions, it is hard to win being that below average.

People overvalue Ramirez a ton here. He was 2nd to last in OPS among qualifying SS. His defense is solid, but even that only makes him a 2 WAR player, good enough for the bottom half of the league. Beckham was 17th out of 21 qualifying 2b in OPS and 19 out of 21 in WAR. De Aza actually grades low in WAR, and Vicideo's OPS was good enough for 12th out of 14 qualifying LF.

Not exactly a good thing. If you look at next years team, and heck, lets even give the benefit of the double to Flowers that he is above average and Konerko that he comes back healthy.....

The sox are below average offensively at 2b, SS, CF, 3b, LF, and depending your criteria, DH. Those are 6 positions where we are going to run out 2 WAR players or less.

Outside Rios, we don't really have a standout at any position. This offense needs to be rebuilt.