PDA

View Full Version : sox memories

guillen4life13
07-29-2002, 10:31 PM
who else was at the game when mark buehrle made his ml debut against milwaukee? (7/16/00) I remember that game pretty well (don't remember the score... i wasn't a huge fan yet, but magglio hit 2 homers, one of them going to right field, where we were sitting). there was no bullpen bar at the time. that game was the most fun game I've been to @ comiskey park, excluding the one in the '96 season (august) against seattle, when we virtually sat on the dugout. that was so much fun.

any other memories to share?

rmusacch
07-29-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
who else was at the game when mark buehrle made his ml debut against milwaukee? (7/16/00) I remember that game pretty well (don't remember the score... i wasn't a huge fan yet, but magglio hit 2 homers, one of them going to right field, where we were sitting). there was no bullpen bar at the time. that game was the most fun game I've been to @ comiskey park, excluding the one in the '96 season (august) against seattle, when we virtually sat on the dugout. that was so much fun.

There was a bullpen bar in 2000. I know that for a fact. You are just too young to have gone in to it.

guillen4life13
07-29-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

There was a bullpen bar in 2000. I know that for a fact. You are just too young to have gone in to it.

hmm. well if there was (and you say there was, and no one over 21 on these boards would be wrong about that), I was never told about it nor could I see it because we were only about five rows in from the OF concourse, and I was considerably shorter (hadn't even hit 5' yet).

damn i need to get to a game. haven't been to one since... oakland came to town. argh

ISUSoxfan
07-29-2002, 10:46 PM
there was no bullpen bar at the time.
There was a Bullpen Bar, but it didn't extend up into the seats until the following year. I sat in the warning track section of the bar at least 15 times in 2000.

Other memories I have been there for:
1982-Golden Box seats for Ron Kittle's first major league hit, a double down the left field line.

1983-Upper deck homeruns by Kittle and Luzinski.
1983- All-Star game (when it was a game). Fred Lynn's grand slam and Kittle's hit off Lee Smith.

2000-14 inning victory over the Cubs.
2000-June 19 standing ovation after sweeping Cleveland and NY on the road.

2001-Carlos Lee grand slam to beat the Cubs.

Ol Aches & Pains
07-30-2002, 08:55 PM

The best ball game I ever saw in person was 11 years ago almost to the day, 7/31/1991, the first year in the new eyesore. Sox vs. Texas Rangers, it was a see-saw game, the lead changing hands several times, and going into the bottom of the 9th, the Sox were down 8-6. Somebody, I forget who, got a hit, two outs were made, Tim Raines walked, and Carlton Fisk pinch hit and singled to load the bases, if memory serves. Robin Ventura came up. He was the AL player of the month that month, I think he had 12 homers in July going into that game.

Bobby Valentine, the Rangers' manager, called time, and changed pitchers. To my amazement, Goose Gossage came walking in from the bullpen. I didn't even know he was still in the majors! I hadn't seen or heard about him in about four years, when he was with the Cubs, and he was washed up then! Ventura capped off his month with a grand slam to win the game, 10-8. You would have thought they won the World Series from the celebration on the field.

ISUSoxfan
07-31-2002, 01:09 AM
I remember that game too. I saw it on TV in Colorado on vacation. It's the only thing I remember about that trip.