PDA

View Full Version : ***AJ Pierzynski Appreciation Thread***

Chrisaway
12-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for everything AJ. Good luck in Texas.

lizard6king6
12-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the memories. He'll be back in some way associated with the team in the future.

thomas35forever
12-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Looks like the Captain stands alone for '05 players.

Anyway, thanks for everything, AJ. Good luck competing with the A's and stronger Angels.

SephClone89
12-20-2012, 05:03 PM
I was never a particularly big fan of yours--the cult-like love the casual ballpark fans had for you (loudest cheers of anyone on the team, even when you were average to below average) grated on me, and I also lost patience with your bat-and-helmet-slamming routine after groundouts, but you're one of the best catchers in Sox history and I'm glad I was there for your last home game in Chicago.

EDIT: can we spell his name correctly as a show of appreciation?

Chrisaway
12-20-2012, 05:06 PM

OOPS stupid fat fingers. :redneck

TaylorStSox
12-20-2012, 05:07 PM
One of my most hated Sox players of all time, but I appreciate a lot of what he did on the field. I appreciated his durability. He had some big hits over the years.

I'm happy the Sox decided to move on. It was time. He had a nice run though.

MeteorsSox4367
12-20-2012, 05:13 PM
One of my favorite Sox players ever and my favorite of recent teams. The fact that he was a bleep but he was our bleep made me enjoy having Pierzynski around. That and the fact that he is a Polack (like me) who really seems to love the game.

My favorite AJ picture will be the one of him after the HR to beat the Dodgers in 2005 (IIRC) in the 1959 throwback unis. The look on his face was priceless.

Good luck in Texas. Flowers wanted to be the No. 1 catcher. It's all yours, dude. How about batting better than .210 or so this season?

russ99
12-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Man, this is a bummer.

Farewell to my favorite Sox player. Thanks for everything, A.J., I'll wear my #12 jersey with pride.

Most of all, thanks for June 18, 2005 - best Sox game I ever went to, including Bo Jackson clinching night and multiple playoff games.

Never thought we could ever win the title until then.

Hope he's back at some point, would love to see him manage the Sox some day.

KRS1
12-20-2012, 05:23 PM
My favorite, and likely the smartest ballplayer on the club over his time in the Sox uniform.

Here's to AJ and a very deserving standing ovation upon his return.

:gulp:

DickAllen72
12-20-2012, 05:37 PM
AJ was the best. I wish him nothing but success in the future. He deserves to play on a legit contender. Maybe he can win another ring in Texas.

vinny
12-20-2012, 05:41 PM
So long AJ. I appreciated your aggressiveness on the basepaths. Best of luck in the West.

edit: And I appreciate you not going to the Yankees.

Viva Medias B's
12-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks, A.J. You'll get a standing ovation when you return to the Cell.

BainesHOF
12-20-2012, 05:45 PM
One of the most entertaining players to watch in franchise history. And a very good player at that. Pierzynski's contributions to the 2005 World Series season will be remembered forever on the South Side.

Shoeless_Jeff
12-20-2012, 05:46 PM
He's not on my shortlist of greatest players, but he's on my shortlist for smartest players. The dropped third strike in game two of the 2005 ALCS. The interference call against Willy Aybar against the Rays a few years ago.

He will be missed a lot. Good luck to AJ in Texas.

LITTLE NELL
12-20-2012, 05:49 PM
They're breaking up that old gang of mine.......continues. The Flowers era starts.
Good luck AJ, please don't bite the hand that once fed you too hard.

ajismyhero
12-20-2012, 05:50 PM
We'll be lucky if we ever see a player like AJ again. What he lacked in natural ability he made up for in smarts and hard work. Will miss you and wish you lots of luck in Texas. Come back soon!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks AJ.

Now we're stuck with Flowers...oh ****.

Zakath
12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
My wife's going to be pissed (she loves AJ).

Best of luck in Arlington.

BigHurt3515
12-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the ring AJ!
Good luck except when you play the Sox.

I think Flowers will surprise this year

Bobby Thigpen
12-20-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't know how you could dislike AJ, but this isn't the thread for that.

One of my all time faves with the Sox. I don't know that his impact on the team will be realized until he's been gone. Good luck to you and hope to see you back on the Southside in the future AJ.

rookie
12-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Bye AJ! I loved the squeeze in the 2005 ALDS game 3 and of course game 1 ALCS. You will be missed.

(Happy shared December 30th birthday to the both of us as well!)

ElevenUp
12-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Just broke the news to my son. AJ is his favorite player. Best of luck in Texas.

LoveYourSuit
12-20-2012, 06:38 PM
My favorite, and likely the smartest ballplayer on the club over his time in the Sox uniform.

Here's to AJ and a very deserving standing ovation upon his return.

:gulp:

That's one very short line.

HomeFish
12-20-2012, 06:40 PM
The interference call against Willy Aybar against the Rays a few years ago.

This won us a division. If I had to describe AJ Pierzynski to somebody who had never heard of him, and I could only tell one story, this would be the story.

A. Cavatica
12-20-2012, 06:41 PM
That's one very short line.

And the second guy in that line is D'Angelo Jimenez. :(:

AJRoxMyWhiteSox
12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
AJ is the reason I started watching baseball. Becoming a baseball fan brought me some of the greatest people and things in my life. I owe a lot personally to him being the player he is. Thank you for everything, AJ. Best of luck in Texas. You'll always be my favorite player, no matter what uniform you wear.

ChiSoxGal85
12-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all your time in a Sox uniform, AJ - I love your fire and passion for the game. You'll always be loved on the South Side. Come back to the Sox after your contract is up...play, coach, or maybe...(dare I even say it?) be a Sox announcer!!!

WhiteSox5187
12-20-2012, 07:15 PM
I think by the end of 2013 everyone will appreciate AJ a lot more than they did at the end of 2012.

Red Barchetta
12-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Good luck AJ! He was my second all-time favorite SOX catcher behind the guy who ended up in the Lemont corn field.

He was big part of many of the best SOX moments of the last few years, especially the 2005 World Series. Michael Barrett wishes he had your career! :tongue:

Noneck
12-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Losing the face of the franchise to many around the country hurts.

WLL1855
12-20-2012, 07:32 PM
I was fond of the guy.

Don't come back to bite us in the ass.

gregoriop
12-20-2012, 07:58 PM
I was at the Halfway to St. Patrick's Day game in '06. AJ hit a walk-off that game. It was the only Sox game my good friend had been to and he was ecstatic. It ended up being the last time I would see that friend before he passed.

Thanks AJ, for making that night unforgettable.

soxfan2504
12-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Don't think it will fully hit me until the season starts, and I see AJ in a Rangers uniform. It'll be sad when it finally hits me.

Best of luck in Arlington, AJ.

OOPS stupid fat fingers. :redneck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DtbPOXFk00 :tongue:

Brian26
12-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Seriously. Fixed.

thomas35forever
12-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Losing the face of the franchise to many around the country hurts.
To many, yes. In reality, no way. We still have ours in Paulie.

JB98
12-20-2012, 09:09 PM
:walkoff:

Of all the Sox games I've attended in my life, this was perhaps the most exciting ending I've witnessed in person.

Thanks, 12. One of my all-time favorite Sox. :gulp:

RKMeibalane
12-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Good luck, AJ! Thanks for 2005!

Brian26
12-20-2012, 09:11 PM
God Bless AJ for the walkoff against the Dodgers, the halfway to St. Patrick's Day blast, the dropped-third strike, the Tampa Bay fielder's interference play, and for bringing home a championship most of all.

Never, in a million years, did I think he'd last eight years on the Sox. Look at these gems from this idiot below when the Sox were talking about signing him:

You mean sitting around playing cards instead of going over the hitters with the starting pitcher isn't good clubhouse behavior?

Screw him. Keep him off our team.

A story just came out about KW having a chat with Lee about his attitude and hustle. I have no idea why we would want this bum on our team.

Do a search for Pierzynski in the Clubhouse. There are some beauties from December of 2004 with many people advocating for more playing time for Ben Davis and Jamie Burke.

Thome25
12-20-2012, 09:43 PM
In my 20+ years as a White Sox fan this is as sad as I've been to see a player go.

Last time I was this upset was when Robin signed with the Mets.

AJ is one of my favorite Sox players of all time and my favorite current player.

Thanks for everything AJ you will be missed.

bestkosher
12-20-2012, 09:44 PM
My wife and I will both miss your antics and your game

tstrike2000
12-20-2012, 10:02 PM
I'll remember AJ for a lot of things, mainly for being one of the cogs during his time here with two division titles and a World Series. He did a lot of good things here and will be missed. Good luck to him in Texas.

Thome25
12-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I never wanted to see the title "AJ Pierzynski Appreciation" as the title of any WSI thread.:whiner:

QCIASOXFAN
12-20-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't know how you could dislike AJ, but this isn't the thread for that.

One of my all time faves with the Sox. I don't know that his impact on the team will be realized until he's been gone. Good luck to you and hope to see you back on the Southside in the future AJ.
My feelings exactly!

Soxman219
12-20-2012, 11:33 PM
The Cell will be the only MLB park in the league that will never boo you, AJ. Thanks for being my favorite White Sox catcher ever.

Nellie_Fox
12-20-2012, 11:53 PM
The Cell will be the only MLB park in the league that will never boo you, AJ. I hope you're right, but I have no faith at all in meathead fans.

raven1
12-21-2012, 01:36 AM
The Cell will be the only MLB park in the league that will never boo you, AJ. Thanks for being my favorite White Sox catcher ever.

A.J. won't be booed in Chicago next year, but I expect that Tyler Flowers will be if he fails to produce. For letting one of the team's most consistent hitters walk, Sox management should expect zero tolerance from the fans for lack of hitting by Flowers, Beckham, Viciedo, & the rest of the lineup.

Tragg
12-21-2012, 01:38 AM
He played his ass off for us. He as a good hitter, a good pitcher manager and an excellent base runner.
He wanted to win.
Sad to see him go.

Procol Harum
12-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks for everything AJ, we appreciated your drive, hustle, and wily heads-up approach to the game. Thanks especially for your role in bringing a World Series title to the South Side. Best of luck to you from here (except against the Sox) and God bless you and yours.

doublem23
12-21-2012, 07:26 AM
This really pisses me off, I figured AJ was going to get PAID this offseason and it would have made sense for the Sox to let him walk. The idea of giving a mid-30s catcher with the kind of miles AJ has on the odometer a fat 3-year deal didn't appeal to me so if that's what he got, I would have been OK with this. But 1-year, $7 M? The Sox couldn't have figured out a way too come up with that? What a crock of ****.

Thanks for the memories, Anthony John. Sorry our front office apparently lowballed you. You deserved better.

12-21-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm super glad he went to Texas. I really want them to take home the crown if the 2013 White Sox don't.

Thome25
12-21-2012, 07:42 AM
This really pisses me off, I figured AJ was going to get PAID this offseason and it would have made sense for the Sox to let him walk. The idea of giving a mid-30s catcher with the kind of miles AJ has on the odometer a fat 3-year deal didn't appeal to me so if that's what he got, I would have been OK with this. But 1-year, $7 M? The Sox couldn't have figured out a way too come up with that? What a crock of ****.

Thanks for the memories, Anthony John. Sorry our front office apparently lowballed you. You deserved better.

I agree 100 %. This team's ownership/management is wearing extremely thin with me. Things like this with AJ and Buehrle which would be no brainers with most intelligent and winning ballclubs is beyond ridiculous imo.

LoveYourSuit
12-21-2012, 07:43 AM

Looks like something is missing here. The contract made sense for the Sox not to match.

My only thought is that perhaps he was no longer liked in the clubhouse.

LoveYourSuit
12-21-2012, 07:46 AM
I agree 100 %. This team's ownership/management is wearing extremely thin with me. Things like this with AJ and Buehrle which would be no brainers with most intelligent and winning ballclubs is beyond ridiculous imo.

Buehrle's contract would not have been intelligent.

wassagstdu
12-21-2012, 07:50 AM
I think by the end of 2013 everyone will appreciate AJ a lot more than they did at the end of 2012.

Big mistake by the Sox. AJ will be missed, and not just sentimentally.

Of all the Sox games I have seen over 60 years, AJ's walkoff against the Dodgers is the most memorable. But more importantly, I think losing AJ will leave a hole close to the heart of the team and certainly in its head. (My candidate for clumsiest metaphor ever)

doublem23
12-21-2012, 07:55 AM

Exactly, and I would have been perfectly fine with the Sox letting AJ walk if teams like Texas, the Yankees, etc. all got in a bidding war and he ended up signing some ridiculous 3-year deal that would have clearly been a huge risk going past 2013. I had no problem the Sox let Buehrle go because as much as it stinks to watch Mark pitch in another uniform, it would have been worse watching him pitch for the Sox at $20 M a season and totally anchor the payroll for 2015 and 2016. But for AJ, it's embarrassing enough they let him walk for 1-year before you even consider the disrespectful, slap in the face offer they supposedly made to him... :angry:

Ah, it's OK, OK... last day before Christmas Break for me. First off-season for Hahn. Maybe he's got something up his sleeve that I don't see yet. Man, I hope so. It's not even that I don't think Flowers can't be a serviceable MLB catcher, I think he can, it's just this cheap ass bull**** is aggrevating.

SephClone89
12-21-2012, 07:55 AM

No kidding.

Frater Perdurabo
12-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Add my voice the chorus that:

Appreciates AJ's contributions to this team;

Resents that the Sox refused to match the Rangers' offer; and

Hopes he returns to the team in some capacity someday, perhaps as a broadcaster or coach.

SephClone89
12-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Exactly, and I would have been perfectly fine with the Sox letting AJ walk if teams like Texas, the Yankees, etc. all got in a bidding war and he ended up signing some ridiculous 3-year deal that would have clearly been a huge risk going past 2013. I had no problem the Sox let Buehrle go because as much as it stinks to watch Mark pitch in another uniform, it would have bee worse watching him pitch for the Sox at $20 M a season for 2015 and 2016. But for AJ, it's embarrassing enough they let him walk for 1-year before you even consider the disrespectful, slap in the face offer they supposedly made to him... :angry:

Ah, it's OK, OK... last day before Christmas Break for me. First off-season for Hahn. Maybe he's got something up his sleeve that I don't see yet. Man, I hope so. It's not even that I don't think Flowers can't be a serviceable MLB catcher, I think he can, it's just this cheap ass bull**** is aggrevating.

Pretty much.

The fact that they would offer one a mere $4m to one of this era's most reliable catchers, coming off of his best offensive season, after eight seasons of service is pretty sad. There must be something else there.

doublem23
12-21-2012, 07:57 AM
No kidding.

I can't believe anyone is upset the Sox didn't match that Buehrle offer. The only thing there is to be mad about is that MLB let Loria and the rest of the scumbags who run the Marlins essentially do a bait-and-switch on Dade County which allowed them to offer him such a berserk deal in the first place.

TaylorStSox
12-21-2012, 08:10 AM
It's pretty clear that Rick Hahn doesn't want AJ. He wants Tyler Flowers. The Sox could have easily offered a similar contract, but didn't.

In a year where Mike Napoli got an outrageous deal, AJ couldn't even get a multiyear offer. Think about that for a second. There just isn't much demand for a DH playing catcher.

Bucky F. Dent
12-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Thank You, A.J. :clap:

C-Dawg
12-21-2012, 08:24 AM
michael barrett wishes he had your career! :tongue:

lol!!!

palehosepub
12-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Rangers only visit Sox once next year Aug 23-25. Fans will have to wait a while for an AJ reunion at the Cell!

DeadMoney
12-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Sure seems like a lot of teams are content with going the route of a defensive catcher who 'gets by' at the plate over other alternatives (like AJ). AJ lacked that defensive stability and hasn't broken a .333 OBP since 2003. Those things probably hurt him and may have kept him from getting a long-term deal. After all, if the power numbers drop (and they normally do with age), what's left?

It also appears to me that Hahn values certain things a little more than KW did, and that's probably OK. I certainly don't think Flowers is the answer, but if he can post anywhere near his career minor league .391 OBP and .876 OPS with regular playing time, we'll be OK.

AJ will be missed and I appreciate everything he helped bring us, but I can't really get on Hahn for this one.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks A.J. Best of luck the rest of the way.

Lip

tebman
12-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Absolutely agree. Sure, Pierzynski is a sentimental favorite, but he was also a hell of a ballplayer with his savvy and hustle. I don't get how the Sox couldn't make a one-year deal attractive enough to get Pierzynski to stay.

Hahn obviously wants Flowers in that slot so he must think that a higher caught-stealing percentage trumps everything else. A.J. had everything else.

Rangers only visit Sox once next year Aug 23-25. Fans will have to wait a while for an AJ reunion at the Cell!

We've got tickets to the August 24 game. He'll get a nice round of applause from me. Thanks for the good times, A.J.

ChiSoxGirl
12-21-2012, 09:29 AM

Add my voice the chorus that:

Appreciates AJ's contributions to this team;

Resents that the Sox refused to match the Rangers' offer; and

Hopes he returns to the team in some capacity someday, perhaps as a broadcaster or coach.

I couldn't agree more with either of you.

What annoys the hell out of me regarding this is that now we have to look forward to an extra 150 strikeouts in our lineup. Sure, Flowers will probably pop 15-20 home runs next season, but he's not exactly what you would call clutch and will probably bat around .215 or .220. Blah!!!

We're down to one player left from '05 - Konerko. With 2013 being the last year of his deal, and with him turning 37 this March, it could be Paulie's last go-around with the Sox (or in baseball).

:whiner: to all of this!

Chez
12-21-2012, 09:29 AM
He was a punk. But for eight great seasons, he was OUR punk and now he will be missed. Lots of great memories. Thanks for everything, A.J.

LoveYourSuit
12-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Pretty much.

The fact that they would offer one a mere $4m to one of this era's most reliable catchers, coming off of his best offensive season, after eight seasons of service is pretty sad. There must be something else there.

This is exactly what I think.

It has to do with the clubhouse IMO.

Maybe Coop had some say, who knows.

Maybe Peavy made it a condition for his return, who knows.

But it's not about the money here, the Sox easily would have taken AJ for that contract.

There's way more to this than the Sox just being cheap as more than likely the media /(dumb) fans will portray this.

doublem23
12-21-2012, 09:35 AM

AJ was Mrs. Doub's favorite player, so it looks like my plans for that weekend just got settled

Golden Sox
12-21-2012, 09:36 AM
All things come to an end. Still, I hate to see him go. I also hate to see one of our left handed hitters go. Other than DeAza and Dunn every hitter in our starting lineup is a right handed hitter. I would like to think Hahn is still going to make a couple of trades before Opening Day to improve the offense. If not we'll be facing all right handed pitchers the entire season.

doublem23
12-21-2012, 09:45 AM
There's way more to this than the Sox just being cheap as more than likely the media /(dumb) fans will portray this.

I'd agree with you except the Sox offered him a pathetically cheap contract and then got outbid by a couple million bucks. If you want to move on, then just move on. If you don't want to be perceived as cheap, don't offer cheap ass contracts and then DEFINITELY don't get outbid for peanuts.

johnnyg83
12-21-2012, 09:49 AM
I'd agree with you except the Sox offered him a pathetically cheap contract and then got outbid by a couple million bucks. If you want to move on, then just move on. If you don't want to be perceived as cheap, don't offer cheap ass contracts and then DEFINITELY don't get outbid for peanuts.

Amen. I hope Flowers develops. But for 1-year and $7.5 mil. I would have taken him back in a heartbeat.

Maybe we can bring him back as a backup next year. Always nice to have a LH catcher bat.

LoveYourSuit
12-21-2012, 09:52 AM

Is it a fact that the Sox indeed made a formal offer to him?

I was not aware of this.

My_Sox_Summer
12-21-2012, 10:35 AM
I agree with you guys too. I figured A.J. would get a nice 3-year deal or something not a 1 year contract. I think the Sox should have paid to keep him. Makes no sense to me.

Thanks A.J. Having seen you first in Anaheim I was always proud to stand up and applaud you while the boos rang out. You did your job sir, thanks.

Tragg
12-21-2012, 10:40 AM
It is curious that they couldn't match a 1 year 7.5 mill offer. His bat alone is worth a lot of that to a team needed LH hitters, like us.

TaylorStSox
12-21-2012, 10:50 AM
It is curious that they couldn't match a 1 year 7.5 mill offer. His bat alone is worth a lot of that to a team needed LH hitters, like us.

It's not about the money. They don't want him. I don't know what's so hard to understand.

PennStater98r
12-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Going to miss you A.J. You're my favorite White Sox to wear the uniform, and I believe you're one of the smartest baseball people in the game. I can't wait to see you managing your own team at the major league level someday.

QueerGirrl
12-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Just because.................

I'll miss you AJ, and you'll always be a White Sox to me. Good luck and hopefully you'll snag another ring before you're done.

Paulwny
12-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks AJ for some memorable and entertaining moments.
Good Luck

JB98
12-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I'm also surprised the Sox weren't willing to match the one-year contract A.J. got from the Rangers.

Looking at the big picture, Konerko has one year left on his deal. Dunn and Rios have two years left. They just gave Peavy another two years. The club is pretty much in a position where they have no choice but to keep the band together and try again with this veteran core. Why wouldn't you keep A.J. in the mix to give yourself a better chance to win in the short run?

No way I would have given Pierzynski a three-year deal. That would have been crazy. But, nobody in baseball offered A.J. that huge contract he was looking for, so it's a little baffling the contract he received was somehow out of the Sox range.

Too bad. Rick Hahn better be right about Tyler Flowers. I'm not a believer personally.

TheVulture
12-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Love AJ obviously.

I think we are going to see a replay of the Rowand trade, where we see just how difficult it can be to replace "major league average". Hope I'm wrong.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2012, 11:48 AM
For what it's worth (and remember you have to consider the source) yesterday on Chicago Tribune Live! Kaplan was saying that he was being told that Robin was questioning A.J. last year on his pitch selection and why he was calling certain things at certain times.

He then went on to talk about how catchers who have some defensive issues want to call nothing but fastballs.

Bob Foltman then mentioned that was the reason Olivo was shipped out, that all he wanted was fastballs to have a better chance to throw out basestealers.

Again I have no idea how accurate this is, but if it is, that could explain some things.

Lip

JB98
12-21-2012, 11:57 AM
For what it's worth (and remember you have to consider the source) yesterday on Chicago Tribune Live! Kaplan was saying that he was being told that Robin was questioning A.J. last year on his pitch selection and why he was calling certain things at certain times.

He then went on to talk about how catchers who have some defensive issues want to call nothing but fastballs.

Bob Foltman then mentioned that was the reason Olivo was shipped out, that all he wanted was fastballs to have a better chance to throw out basestealers.

Again I have no idea how accurate this is, but if it is, that could explain some things.

Lip

I don't buy it. I thought Sox pitchers threw too many breaking balls last year, especially at the end of the season when arms were tired and fastball velocity had dipped.

The pitchers would get ahead in the count, then throw a bunch of offspeed crap with the hope the hitter would chase and get himself out. It didn't work, and that's one reason we saw such a spike in walks coming down the stretch.

I do suspect the Sox decided to move on from A.J. for some reason we don't know about. His pitch selection might have been an issue, but I don't think it was because the Sox threw too many fastballs to prevent basestealers from running. If anything, I wanted our pitchers to trust their fastballs more.

It was absurd how many times we got our brains beat in by Delmon Young on 0-2 and 1-2 breaking balls. He read the scouting report. He knew it was coming.

TheVulture
12-21-2012, 11:59 AM

We would have been in the playoffs last year with Buehrle on the staff.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2012, 12:16 PM
JB:

Again they didn't specifically mention fastballs, in fact, an example Kaplan used was Robin supposedly questioning A.J. on why he called a change up on an 0-2 pitch.

That being said I do think there was something going on behind the scenes with A.J. I do know that one high level member of the front office lost "all respect" for him (direct quote) after the incident in Minnesota when Young threw that forearm to A.J.'s face and he simply turned and walked away.

Lip

TaylorStSox
12-21-2012, 12:31 PM
There were definitely issues with AJ not calling for balls in the dirt when pitchers were ahead. I was pretty vocal about preferring Flowers' pitch selection. Also of note, 3 of the 4 best pitchers the Sox had during AJs tenure elected to throw to the back up catcher.

Steelrod
12-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Will miss you, but will you miss us more? CWS fans took a liking to you. Your were never welcome at your other stops.
That being said, best of luck in the other 155 games you don't play us!

Frater Perdurabo
12-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Lip

I would be curious to see a comparison of AJ's and Flowers' respective catcher's ERAs and Walks and Hits per Innings Caught (WHIC?) for 2012. It seems that would be a valid and important comparison, but I have no idea where to find it.

TaylorStSox
12-21-2012, 01:14 PM
I would be curious to see a comparison of AJ's and Flowers' respective catcher's ERAs and Walks and Hits per Innings Caught (WHIC?) for 2012. It seems that would be a valid and important comparison, but I have no idea where to find it.

Catcher ERA is an awful stat. I was curious too and looked into it. There are just too many variables.

JB98
12-21-2012, 01:15 PM

Flowers' CERA was 4.07. Pierzynski's was 4.08.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/c/league/al/sort/catcherERA/qualified/false/order/false

Walks and hits per innings caught, not sure where that can be found.

TaylorStSox
12-21-2012, 01:17 PM
I was told on the other site that AJ had 10 more wild pitches thrown to him than the next closest catcher. Combined with his conservative pitch calling, that's alarming. He just can't move behind the plate anymore. He wasn't very good to begin with either.

cheezheadsoxfan
12-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Amen! I am so going to miss him. :(: Come back and take Hawk's place in the booth.

LoveYourSuit
12-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Being the great hitter he is, yes we would have.

Frater Perdurabo
12-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Catcher ERA is an awful stat. I was curious too and looked into it. There are just too many variables.

I think it's problematic when comparing catchers throughout MLB, but is relevant when comparing two catchers on the same team, who catch the same pitching staff.

SephClone89
12-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Pointless and wild conjecture.

GlassSox
12-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Amen! I am so going to miss him. :(: Come back and take Hawk's place in the booth.

Now there's an idea. :cool:

Thanks for all the memories and for your 100% effort. You will be missed. Now Flowers can shut his mouth about playing time and hopefully show us that he is a starter.

Frater Perdurabo
12-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Flowers' CERA was 4.07. Pierzynski's was 4.08.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/c/league/al/sort/catcherERA/qualified/false/order/false

Walks and hits per innings caught, not sure where that can be found.

Thank you, JB. Not that much different.

Maybe walks and hits per innings caught is even too limited. I'd be curious to see a stat like "total bases surrendered" - walks, hits, passed balls, wild pitches, HBPs, dropped third strikes, errors, etc. - per innings caught (with assists, pickoffs, double/triple plays and caught stealings accounted for as well). Obviously it would vary widely throughout MLB, but would be a valid comparison for two catchers on the same team, catching the same pitchers backed up by the same fielders.

Another decent comparison stat for two pitchers on the same team would be pitches/out generated. Catchers who call pitches that result in quick outs would help out their pitchers significantly.

Tragg
12-21-2012, 01:37 PM
I think it's problematic when comparing catchers throughout MLB, but is relevant when comparing two catchers on the same team, who catch the same pitching staff.

Not terribly relevant if they catch difference pitchers on the staff though.

sachin
12-21-2012, 01:40 PM
2013 will be 8 years from 2005. Glad to have had AJP on the Sox, farewell & good luck.

For those saying the Sox could've matched Texas $7.5M, YOU try telling YOUR boss he needs to match a 87 percent pay raise or you're gonna hit the road. Then make sure the doorknob don't hit'cha where the Good Lord split'cha!

LoveYourSuit
12-21-2012, 01:44 PM
2013 will be 8 years from 2005. Glad to have had AJP on the Sox, farewell & good luck.

For those saying the Sox could've matched Texas $7.5M, YOU try telling YOUR boss he needs to match a 87 percent pay raise or you're gonna hit the road. Then make sure the doorknob don't hit'cha where the Good Lord split'cha!

Good point.

The team is counting pennies already with a tight budget.

The way I see is if the Peavy extension is what cost no room for AJ, I'm all good with that.

We have a better chance of winning with Peavy + Flowers than Unknown + AJ.

Hitmen77
12-21-2012, 01:46 PM
The end of an era for the Sox. AJ had an amazing 8 year run here with, of course, the highlight being his very first season here with the Sox winning the World Series.

I think it's going to be a long time before we have such consistency at the catching position again. All I have to say is that if Flowers is going to be our starting catcher in 2013, it's going to be a long season.

Frater Perdurabo
12-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Not terribly relevant if they catch difference pitchers on the staff though.

Yes, that's true if certain starters have "designated catchers." But the Sox haven't really employed that system since AJ has been around. I know it was said that Peavy preferred Flowers, but AJ caught him plenty of times, too.

TheVulture
12-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Pointless and wild conjecture.

If you review Buehrle's teams' records from the last few years on days he started versus their records when every one else started, you'll see it's not wild conjecture in the least. Certainly not any more pointless than claiming signing Buehrle would have an unintelligent move when all evidence points to the contrary.

For example, the 2011 Sox were 19-12 with Buehrle on the bump, 60-71 when another pitcher started. That's an 85 win team that was the equivalent of 74-88 win team when Buehrle didn't pitch. Over the last three seasons, Buehrle's teams have a .558 winning percentage with him on the mound, .479 with someone else. If there's anyone else in the majors who has signed a free agent contract for less than 14 million a year that makes that kind of difference to a team's winning percentage, I'd like to know who.

hawkjt
12-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks for all the memories,AJ!

I am in the group that is pissed that Sox did not jump on a one year deal opportunity with AJ....pay him 7 million and he sticks.
I thought he had his best overall year last year between hitting for power and average,driving in runs,and throwing out runners.
And now is the time to pass on him for a one year deal? Ridiculous.

Maybe some pitchers did not like throwing to him,but the Sox need his offense. Their offense flat sucked yet again,last year,as far as high average hitters...and one of the better ones just waltzed away at a discount for lefty power hitters who hit for average and drive in runs.

I was ready for AJ to be gone after 2011 but he came back with a huge year. He will be missed off a team that cannot score runs.
As has been said, they are evidently still trying to make a run next year,and we are going with a hapless Flowers ? Sorry, I hope he gets better offensively,but I have no faith...swings and misses way too much.

Good luck to AJ down in Texas. We will always have 2005!

PS: Hawk is gonna be on the Score at 3PM...this should be priceless.

Foulke You
12-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Good luck to AJ down in Texas. We will always have 2005!

AJ's blast into the bleachers in Game 1 of the ALDS off of Matt Clement is one of my favorite moments in AJ's Sox career. I got to be at this game after AJ's 1st inning blast, the place came unglued:

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/10-4_manny_BDD_chin.jpg

Medford Bobby
12-21-2012, 03:45 PM
All time favourite Baseball Digest cover:

http://store03.prostores.com/dcbcollectibles/media/0f/a20792012e53699f55707d_m.JPG

DickAllen72
12-21-2012, 05:07 PM
That being said I do think there was something going on behind the scenes with A.J. I do know that one high level member of the front office lost "all respect" for him (direct quote) after the incident in Minnesota when Young threw that forearm to A.J.'s face and he simply turned and walked away.

Lip
I have no respect for whomever that "high level member of the front office" is. He lost all respect for AJ because AJ kept his composure and didn't get himself thrown out/suspended after taking a cheap shot from a thug?

Just like the Barrett incident. AJ bowled him over in a clean play because he was blocking the plate. Barrett then sucker punched AJ with a punch right to the jaw - a punch that didn't even phase AJ. AJ kept his composure and didn't retaliate, yet he got suspended and fined for being a model citizen in the incident.

I don't have much respect for the Sox organization in general anyway. They've been pretty bush league and classless at times, and it's a dysfunctional organization at best.

I hope AJ wins a ring with Texas next year because the Sox certainly don't appear to have a chance at this point anyway.

Brian26
12-21-2012, 07:19 PM
It's not about the money. They don't want him. I don't know what's so hard to understand.

Lip

I think the writing on the wall was there as soon as the Sox re-signed Peavy.

Watching AJ and Peavy try to co-exist was excrutiating at times. I remember I posted something after a noticeably disturbing game:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2980496&postcount=54

Watched the game like it was a heavyweight fight until the 7th when Young cleared the bases with the triple, at which point I then just fastforwarded through to the end. I knew that was the game winner.

I'm annoyed at AJ and Peavy. It's excruciating to watch these guys try to work with each other. I love both of them as Sox players, but they act like tools to each other to the point where it's uncomfortable. Peavy's shaking AJ signs off all night. AJ's flinging the ball back to Peavy with attitude every time there's a 2-0 count. Peavy can't see AJ's signs, so AJ's being a dick and pulling his fingers up really high in an animated way. They can't hook up on anything. AJ's making faces into the dugout, Peavy's barking at him. It's miracle AJ made it into the 7th. Hopefully Flowers is back and can work Peavy's remaining regular season games, because the AJ/Peavy battery is brutal. Peavy seems like he has a mental roadblock when AJ's behind the plate.

BainesHOF
12-21-2012, 07:26 PM
It was time for the Sox and AJ to part ways. His attitude behind the plate, especially in the second half of the season, was terrible and unacceptable at times. It wasn't just with Peavy either. I think it's telling that the team let AJ sign a one-year contract elsewhere.

AnkleSox
12-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Just because.................

I'll miss you AJ, and you'll always be a White Sox to me. Good luck and hopefully you'll snag another ring before you're done.

I was at this game, and as a very pessimistic Chicago fan across all sports, this is when I knew the White Sox would win the Series.

Tragg
12-21-2012, 08:59 PM
It wasn't just with Peavy either. I think it's telling that the team let AJ sign a one-year contract elsewhere.

It definitely suggests that the Sox didn't want him back. I'm hoping it means that they have other plans for that money.

wassagstdu
12-21-2012, 09:31 PM
The count is 0-1 on Hahn, and he has the bat on his shoulder.

SoxFan1979
12-21-2012, 10:32 PM
:(: Always sad to see a fan favorite go. Thanks for the memories AJ!!! :D:

I doubt we will boo AJ when he visits. :redneck

RockJock07
12-21-2012, 10:53 PM
The count is 0-1 on Hahn, and he has the bat on his shoulder.

Huh? I think its a little early to say that. He did just sign a contact hitting 3B to bluster a weak position of sorts the last couple of seasons.

white sox bill
12-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Let the Tyler Flowers era begin :(:
Back to Ron Karkovice type numbers, hell lets see if Mark Johnson could make a cameo for ****s and giggles.

Guaranteed AJ will burn us for at least one game next yr when we play Texas.

Goodbye AJ thanks for the memories, you were my fav. Hopefully we will see you back in a Sox uni soon

TaylorStSox
12-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Back to Ron Karkovice type numbers, hell lets see if Mark Johnson could make a cameo for ****s and giggles.

Goodbye AJ thanks for the memories, you were my fav. Hopefully we will see you back in a Sox uni soon

You know Ron Karkovice put up a bigger WAR for the Sox than AJ?

I'm calling it. AJ's the most overrated Sox player in history.

WLL1855
12-22-2012, 09:53 AM

If he's the choice for that title then we must not have done that badly in the history of the franchise.

I'm not claiming he's the best catcher ever to play for the team but give the guy some due. He did pretty good got us. Sure as hell beats the revolving door we had at the position before he got here.

TaylorStSox
12-22-2012, 10:02 AM
If he's the choice for that title then we must not have done that badly in the history of the franchise.

I'm not claiming he's the best catcher ever to play for the team but give the guy some due. He did pretty good got us. Sure as hell beats the revolving door we had at the position before he got here.
He's been a nice player. One of the things that I've always enjoyed about Sox fans is they tend to be good, knowledgeable baseball fans. These veiled shots at Flowers because people are upset are disappointing. AJ was a good hitter, an awful defender and never an All Star.

JB98
12-22-2012, 12:48 PM

That could probably be arranged. Johnson was recently named Kane County Cougars manager. (http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/sports/17078021-419/midwest-league-mark-johnson-named-cougars-manager.html) He'll be in the area this summer.

WLL1855
12-22-2012, 04:11 PM
He's been a nice player. One of the things that I've always enjoyed about Sox fans is they tend to be good, knowledgeable baseball fans. These veiled shots at Flowers because people are upset are disappointing. AJ was a good hitter, an awful defender and never an All Star.

So, 'punch AJ' was wrong? I really don't understand the contempt you have for the guy.

The verdict is out on Flowers. We'll see what we have next year. I hope I'm wrong when I say we aren't going to like it a whole lot.

DickAllen72
12-22-2012, 04:55 PM
So, 'punch AJ' was wrong? I really don't understand the contempt you have for the guy.

Haters gotta hate, even on an appreciation thread.

SI1020
12-22-2012, 05:16 PM
AJ 12.9 OWAR, 4.0 DWAR from 2005-12. Officer Karkovice 7.0 OWAR, 11.4 DWAR from 1986-97. Karkovice caught in 918 games for the Sox, AJ 1025.

SOXSINCE'70
12-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Thank you for the 2 run,game ending homer to beat the Dodgers 5-3 in '05.I was there.It was AWESOME!!

-Thank you for a career playoff game in game 1 of the ALDS in '05,reaching base on the "A.J. K" in game 2 of the '05 ALCS,and your 2 run double that gave us a brief lead (which Geoff Blum helped us regain later) in Game 3 of the '05 WS.

-Thank you for NOT punching that douchebag Michael Barrett in '06 when HE started the fight,not you.

I will look back at your time in Chicago and always remember the good times.Sorry to see you leave,but that's baseball.I will akways be grateful for all the intangiables you brought to the Sox.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Taylor:

AJ was on the All Star team in 2006.

Lip

TaylorStSox
12-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Taylor:

AJ was on the All Star team in 2006.

Lip
Yeah, I forgot about that.

I know everyone likes the guy and it's obvious that I never have, but for the life of me, I can't understand why so many people don't realize this is a good baseball decision. I wish fans would lay off Flowers too. He's a good prospect and competent in many areas AJ wasn't.

BigKlu59
12-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Later AJ, Thanks for wearing the tools of ignorance with pride and dedication. As with Pudge, you brought stability to the organization at this position. Thanks for running out the dropped 3rd. You'll never know the bad Palehose karma you reversed with just that one heads up play.

Thanks for all of the timely hits and long flys. Thanks for the heart and piss and vinegar.. You will be missed, Pan Pierzynski !

BK59

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-22-2012, 07:41 PM

I know everyone likes the guy and it's obvious that I never have, but for the life of me, I can't understand why so many people don't realize this is a good baseball decision. I wish fans would lay off Flowers too. He's a good prospect and competent in many areas AJ wasn't.

I could live with Flowers if we didn't have Dunn.

But with Dunn, we really can't afford another low average, HR-or-K hitter. And unlike Dunn, Flowers doesn't take walks.

johnnyg83
12-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I could live with Flowers if we didn't have Dunn.

But with Dunn, we really can't afford another low average, HR-or-K hitter. And unlike Dunn, Flowers doesn't take walks.

I hope they don't sign some .200 hitting journeyman. Bring up Phegley and let's see what he's got.

nsolo
12-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Boy, Grandma is going to be bummed. Guess I'll have to change my sig.

ChicagoG19
12-23-2012, 10:30 AM
He's an *******, but he was our *******.

skobabe8
12-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for everything, A.J.

I'll always remember the night when Liz threw out the first pitch (my signature picture). Buehrle was signing the ball for her when A.J. sneaks up on us and says to him, "Look whose jersey he is wearing, bitch!" to Mark (I was wearing my A.J. jersey). He then signed our ball and gave us a memory for a lifetime.

He will always be one of my favorite guys. I'll be there for his return.

JB98
12-23-2012, 12:50 PM

How so? I see a 27-year-old with holes in his swing like swiss cheese.

He's a better defensive player than A.J., sure, but I'm not seeing any Gold Gloves in his future either.

oldcomiskey
12-24-2012, 05:06 PM

alright--I wasnt gonna say anything about this..But that is a ridiculous statement...more overrated than LTP who was a bust.....more overrated than Swisher or The Choice..I think not!!!

HomeFish
12-24-2012, 08:57 PM
alright--I wasnt gonna say anything about this..But that is a ridiculous statement...more overrated than LTP who was a bust.....more overrated than Swisher or The Choice..I think not!!!

Did anyone not in the Sox front office ever "rate" The Choice?

soxfanreggie
12-25-2012, 02:00 AM
Best wishes to someone who was a big part of the franchise the past several years. I have enjoyed having you on our team and look forward to way him coaching/broadcasting in the future.

DonnieDarko
12-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Pierzynski was one of my favorite players during his tenure with the White Sox. I've been a fan technically all my life (even though I never really payed that much attention as a kid until 2000), but my fandom was solidfied in 2005 in large part because of that team...so by extension him as well.

You will be missed, AJ. Good luck and Godspeed. Maybe one day after Ventura, we can see you in the dugout as manager.

thomas35forever
12-26-2012, 02:34 PM
These comments by AJ all but confirm management was never interested in bringing him back. What a shame.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/12/26/pierzynski-i-wanted-to-finish-my-career-in-chicago/

WhiteSox5187
12-26-2012, 02:58 PM
These comments by AJ all but confirm management was never interested in bringing him back. What a shame.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/12/26/pierzynski-i-wanted-to-finish-my-career-in-chicago/

While it is a shame I do understand that the White Sox feel like they need to see what they have in Flowers and I guess the only way they thought they could do that was to let AJ walk. Too bad, I think the White Sox will have a LOT of strikeouts in their lineup in 2013.

Noneck
12-26-2012, 02:59 PM
This sure doesnt seem like it was a money thing, like with Buerhlre. Reinsdorf pushed for AJs last contract but not this time. Something must have happened between the two.

WhiteSox5187
12-26-2012, 03:14 PM
This sure doesnt seem like it was a money thing, like with Buerhlre. Reinsdorf pushed for AJs last contract but not this time. Something must have happened between the two.

I don't think that it was anything personal, 2011 was the year we went "all in," I think it's clear that 2013 is going to be more of a rebuilding year. We have our hands tied with a couple of major contracts left over from 2011 but the organization wants to see what they have in the young guys. It's time to find out if Flowers fits into the White Sox long term plans.

white sox bill
12-28-2012, 06:11 AM
As much as I liked AJ, what are the chances of him duplicating (or almost duplicating) 2012? He will likely tail off a bit if not a considerable amount. Maybe thats what RH was speculating.

hawkjt
12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Listening to some of the talk show jocks, they are pretty much ripping AJ on the way out of town. Bad teammate,bad guy,prick,selfish,unliked.
If that is true, then maybe it had to be done. Tyler better have a much improved season next year or the Sox has no shot.

skobabe8
12-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Listening to some of the talk show jocks, they are pretty much ripping AJ on the way out of town. Bad teammate,bad guy,prick,selfish,unliked.
If that is true, then maybe it had to be done. Tyler better have a much improved season next year or the Sox has no shot.

Like who?

DeadMoney
12-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Like who?

Rozner and Spiegel. Spiegel mentioned that he got the info from someone "very close to the team" and wanted to share it. Prefaced it with saying how he normally doesn't do something like this, and he's not a guy that has sources or info very often, but felt that this part of the story was important to pass along.

Mentioned several specific things too:
- Early in the season Robin wanted to allow young players to have their girlfriends on the team charter and AJ was furious over it and would tell anyone who would listen.
- Mentioned that AJ felt like the veterans should get special treatment, while Robin was trying to treat all the same.
- Talked about how Coop and Parent both disliked AJ and didn't want to even talk with him at times.
- Suggested that AJ's nickname throughout the clubhouse was "Satan".
- Said pitchers didn't want to throw to AJ.

There may have been other things he mentioned and some of these may not be summarized up exactly as they were said, but this is the gist of what they were saying. I mean, take it all for what it's worth, but Spiegel generally isn't the type to throw things out there like this (a la Bernstein). Rozner also backed him up on several of the things he was saying and added to several of the stories.

Bobby Thigpen
12-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Because those guys all know good character.

SI1020
12-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Isn't Rozner the guy that did the hatchet job on Dale Tallon?

WhiteSox5187
12-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Isn't Rozner the guy that did the hatchet job on Dale Tallon?

I wonder if he's from the same station that had the positive steroid test on AJ?

Frater Perdurabo
12-28-2012, 04:51 PM
- Early in the season Robin wanted to allow young players to have their girlfriends on the team charter and AJ was furious over it and would tell anyone who would listen.
- Mentioned that AJ felt like the veterans should get special treatment, while Robin was trying to treat all the same.

I am not saying these things are true, but I think they are completely plausible. Robin certainly seems like a "treat everyone the same" kind of manager, while we all know Ozzie played favorites and favored veterans. I'm not throwing Robin or AJ under the bus, but am giving each of them credit for not taking any of this public earlier. It moreover seems like these accusations come from third parties, not Robin or AJ personally. We all know that if Ozzie was still here, he would have been bitching about it in the media.

BainesHOF
12-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Heard the Score segment earlier today. DeadMoney was accurate in his summary. I think it was also said that Pierzynski didn't have any respect for Ventura and said so in the clubhouse. Obviously you can't have that. As I wrote earlier, Pierzynski's attitude took a turn for the worse in the second half of the season. It was time to part ways.

LITTLE NELL
12-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Damn shame if all of this is true. Why would AJ not respect Robin, Ventura did a hell of a job with a team that was picked by some to finish last. Before all of this news that we heard today I thought it was time for AJ to move on.

Frater Perdurabo
12-28-2012, 08:39 PM
If true - and I am not saying it is - it's probably for the best that AJ left.

I bet that neither AJ nor Robin say anything negative about the other, though, even if asked.

slavko
12-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Rozner and Spiegel. Spiegel mentioned that he got the info from someone "very close to the team" and wanted to share it. Prefaced it with saying how he normally doesn't do something like this, and he's not a guy that has sources or info very often, but felt that this part of the story was important to pass along.

Suspicious old me thinks that this one smells like "someone from the team" decided to leak the information and chose Spiegel as the patsy. Who might the someone be? Let me start the speculation with the name Don Cooper. This is not a decision the Chairman made by himself, but he had to be in the loop, since he saved the bacon the last time AJ was up for a contract and didn't this time.

Oh, well, Bears TE Ditka burned his bridges similarly and eventually came back as Coach Ditka. So we may see AJ again.

TaylorStSox
12-28-2012, 09:59 PM
I thought this stuff was pretty obvious. He had on field incidents last year with Dunn, De Aza, Rios and Peavy. Stone mentioned all of them and Hawk glossed over them. MB, Peavy and Contreras had problems with him behind the plate. At times, he reminded me of Bill Laimbeer. I never liked the cheap shots. I never liked the hot dogging. I never liked the bat flips and yelling at pitchers while he rounded the bases. I understand people get into that, but for me, that has no place in baseball. It's not wrestling. It's not football. I'll get off my high horse now.

Brian26
12-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Suspicious old me thinks that this one smells like "someone from the team" decided to leak the information and chose Spiegel as the patsy. Who might the someone be?

Here's my theory. Has Rozner been filling-in all week, or was today his first day? Everyone should know by now that Rozner gets fed info by Stone. Rozner wanted to break the story on a slow news day, but it would be obvious where it came from, so he let Spiegel run with it from "a source." Spiegel has no more inside information than Terry Boers, which is none.

wassagstdu
12-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Sometimes some Sox fans make me sick to my stomach.

Red Barchetta
12-29-2012, 10:32 AM
In the end, I think both AJ and Robin (staff) have too much class to say anything more. Just like any relationship, sometimes it just gets old and people get frustrated.

I'm sure AJ is not the easiest guy to get a long with, however as a fan of the team, I enjoyed watching him play and I appreciate his role in helping the White Sox win the World Series in 2005.

Time for Flowers.

DrCrawdad
12-29-2012, 10:59 AM
In the end, I think both AJ and Robin (staff) have too much class to say anything more. Just like any relationship, sometimes it just gets old and people get frustrated.

I'm sure AJ is not the easiest guy to get a long with, however as a fan of the team, I enjoyed watching him play and I appreciate his role in helping the White Sox win the World Series in 2005.

Time for Flowers.

I agree. As a sentimental person, I'm sorry to see AJ leave, as it's the further closing of the '05 team. I'll cheer AJ in his first at bat at The Cell in 2013 but I'm ready to move on.

Rocky Soprano
12-29-2012, 09:41 PM
AJ took out an ad in today's Tribune. I would link a picture but I'm on my phone. It's a nice touch. I for one will miss him. On a team that is full of guys that rarely show any emotion he always displayed his true feelings.

Harry Potter
12-29-2012, 10:32 PM
AJ took out an ad in today's Tribune. I would link a picture but I'm on my phone. It's a nice touch. I for one will miss him. On a team that is full of guys that rarely show any emotion he always displayed his true feelings.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/388176_461373257232532_1892858754_n.jpg

Noneck
12-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Nice gesture by AJ but he never became a real Chicagoan because he used the term chi-town.

LITTLE NELL
12-30-2012, 07:39 AM

Class act by AJ, have any other Chicago Sport personalities taken out ads like this? Can't remember any.

SephClone89
12-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Class act by AJ, have any other Chicago Sport personalities taken out ads like this? Can't remember any.

Pretty sure Wood and/or Dempster did this season.

Did Buehrle?

Mr. Jinx
12-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Mentioned several specific things too:
- Talked about how Coop and Parent both disliked AJ and didn't want to even talk with him at times.
- Suggested that AJ's nickname throughout the clubhouse was "Satan".
- Said pitchers didn't want to throw to AJ.

There may have been other things he mentioned and some of these may not be summarized up exactly as they were said, but this is the gist of what they were saying. I mean, take it all for what it's worth, but Spiegel generally isn't the type to throw things out there like this (a la Bernstein). Rozner also backed him up on several of the things he was saying and added to several of the stories.

But hey, it worked out for the Beatles!

Golden Sox
12-30-2012, 09:46 AM
I know its hard to believe but when Albert Belle left the White Sox, he took out an ad thanking White Sox fans.

34rancher
12-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I for one will miss aj. The guy was a gamer and played hard. I loved his honesty when asked questions, and know that it caused problems sometimes. I like those problems, it gets it out rather than fester and be worse. He'll always be one of my fav sox catchers. The memories of just always playing the game hard are what I like. Was he the greatest defensive or offensive catcher? No. But his quick wits and intelligence on the field were amazing. He'll make a great manager for sure.
That being said, his age meant it was time to move on. It catches up with you. He's right about the girlfriends not being on the road. He's right that gets do deserve a little more privileges due to not needing as many reps nor able to handle it with a 162 game schedule.
Time to move on, but thanks for the for the great ride.
And if someone wants to say chi-town, who cares? It's a little nuts to pick that as a critique.

And as for peavy, I'd take 8 aj's over 1 peavy any day.

Noneck
12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I for one will miss aj. The guy was a gamer and played hard. I loved his honesty when asked questions, and know that it caused problems sometimes. I like those problems, it gets it out rather than fester and be worse. He'll always be one of my fav sox catchers. The memories of just always playing the game hard are what I like. Was he the greatest defensive or offensive catcher? No. But his quick wits and intelligence on the field were amazing. He'll make a great manager for sure.
That being said, his age meant it was time to move on. It catches up with you. He's right about the girlfriends not being on the road. He's right that gets do deserve a little more privileges due to not needing as many reps nor able to handle it with a 162 game schedule.
Time to move on, but thanks for the for the great ride.
And if someone wants to say chi-town, who cares? It's a little nuts to pick that as a critique.

I agree with what you said about AJ,(except for the Peavy comment, the jury is still out on that), he will be missed and will be in Sox fans memories forever. My chi-town remark has nothing to do with how I feel about him as a former Sox player, just that the 8 years here didnt turn him into a Chicagoan.

SoxSpeed22
12-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks for bringing some stability to the catching position and getting the pitchers to click on that 2005 team. Also provided some of the best moments from that season. AJ was responsible for a lot of the best moments in his time with the Sox.
One last time...
:worship::walkoff:

DickAllen72
12-30-2012, 11:46 AM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/388176_461373257232532_1892858754_n.jpg
You'll go down as one of the most important players in White Sox history, AJ. Thanks for everything. You will be missed.

I hope you return to the White Sox organization soon. Until then, best of luck and success with the Rangers.

BainesHOF
12-30-2012, 02:48 PM
A.J.'s final error: The period belongs inside the quotation marks.

soltrain21
12-30-2012, 03:03 PM

Yeah. I hate when people do that.

Boondock Saint
12-30-2012, 03:06 PM

I do it all the time. I can never remember whether it belongs inside or outside the quotation marks.

SaltyPretzel
12-30-2012, 03:23 PM

Maybe he's British. :smile:

Hitmen77
12-30-2012, 03:24 PM

:rolling:

I do it all the time. It's one of the grammar rules that I have trouble with. The problem for me is that putting the quote after the period just feels counter-intuitive to me.

SI1020
12-30-2012, 03:41 PM
I do it all the time. It's one of the grammar rules that I have trouble with. The problem for me is that putting the quote after the period just feels counter-intuitive to me. I do too. It just doesn't look or feel right to me.

dakuda
12-30-2012, 08:33 PM

Does anyone have a higher-res copy of this image? I've been looking for it for what seems like forever....

JohnTucker0814
12-30-2012, 08:35 PM

Does the period really belong inside the quotations in this instance? He's using the quotes as a standard saying of the city of Chicago, he's not officially saying it as a quote. Doesn't that mean the period would then come after the quotations?

DumpJerry
12-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Punctuation goes inside quotation marks. Why is that so hard to remember or apply?
In this situation, there is no reason at all for the period to be there.

doublem23
12-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Great job by the media to promote these stories to the point now it seems obligatory that any athlete take out a full page ad in a local paper to say good-bye after signing a deal for megabucks to go play somewhere else. Way to keep those ad dollars coming in, boys!!!

sullythered
12-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Punctuation goes inside quotation marks. Why is that so hard to remember or apply?
In this situation, there is no reason at all for the period to be there.

It's O.K. AJ was just applying standard British grammar, as it makes more sense than what we do here in the U.S.

wilburaga
12-31-2012, 09:51 AM
I do too. It just doesn't look or feel right to me.

I agree. Totally counterintuitive. I write software. If I interrupted an expression with some punctuation that has nothing to do with the expression some of you guys would be getting positive pregnancy results.

white sox bill
12-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Maybe he's British. :smile:
Father was Polish, Mother was British :smile:

mahagga73
12-31-2012, 11:59 AM

Time for Flowers.
I hope Flowers magically learns how to hit over the winter. If not, that's a lot of production lost. And don't give me the defense thing, that's overrated for catchers, this isn't shortstop or centerfield.

BainesHOF
12-31-2012, 12:22 PM
And don't give me the defense thing, that's overrated for catchers, this isn't shortstop or centerfield.

Catcher is indeed a defensive position, especially with the steroid era ending.

white sox bill
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Does anyone here really think Flowers will blossom into this hitter we are hoping for?

WhiteSox5187
12-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Catcher is indeed a defensive position, especially with the steroid era ending.

I agree, having said that I think that Flowers has a lot of the same defensive liabilities that AJ has (struggles with balls in the dirt). I will grant that Flowers has a better arm than AJ.

DumpJerry
12-31-2012, 12:56 PM
It's O.K. AJ was just applying standard British grammar, as it makes more sense than what we do here in the U.S.
I'm pretty sure A.J. did not write the copy.

TomBradley72
12-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Does anyone here really think Flowers will blossom into this hitter we are hoping for?

I'm very uncertain of that- but there are some interesting 2nd half comparisons for AJ vs. Flowers-

AJ- .269 BA, .311 OBP, .470 SLG, .781 OPS
Flowers- .253/.337/.507/.840

Flowers only had 1/3 of the ABs- but AJ definitely tailed off in the 2nd half-that might have influenced the final decision- among other factors.

SI1020
12-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Catcher is indeed a defensive position, especially with the steroid era ending. Yes but who needs another 200 K's and a BA flirting with the Mendoza line?

Bob Roarman
12-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Great job by the media to promote these stories to the point now it seems obligatory that any athlete take out a full page ad in a local paper to say good-bye after signing a deal for megabucks to go play somewhere else. Way to keep those ad dollars coming in, boys!!!

Or sometimes it's just a player saying goodbye to what was his home for a good chunk of his and his family's life.

BainesHOF
12-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes but who needs another 200 K's and a BA flirting with the Mendoza line?

Nobody needs that. The hope shared by many is that Flowers will improve with regular at-bats. It's not easy for anyone to hit Major League pitching in limited at-bats. Playing once a week would be tough on even the best hitters.

GlassSox
12-31-2012, 05:41 PM

No but I hope that he proves me wrong!

Red Barchetta
12-31-2012, 07:57 PM

Also, isn't the proper wording "My wife and I"? :tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
12-31-2012, 08:12 PM

Depends on whether "my wife and I" are the subject of the sentence, or the recipients of the action. Both of these uses are correct:

"My wife and I loved our time in Chicago."

"Sox fans always treated my wife and me with respect."

Daver
12-31-2012, 10:15 PM
I hope Flowers magically learns how to hit over the winter. If not, that's a lot of production lost. And don't give me the defense thing, that's overrated for catchers, this isn't shortstop or centerfield.

This made me laugh.

The fantasy baseball talent evaluations are usually pure comedy gold.

DumpJerry
12-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Nope. Drop "my wife" and see what looks right, "me" or "I." In this case, "I" looks wrong alone.

Noneck
12-31-2012, 10:59 PM
And don't give me the defense thing, that's overrated for catchers, this isn't shortstop or centerfield.

The only player on the team, that is involved defensively in every pitch of the game is an overrated position? I really dont think so but to each his own.

Nellie_Fox
01-01-2013, 12:21 AM
No. "You welcomed my wife." "You welcomed me." "You welcomed my wife and me."

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Only in WSI can an Appreciation Thread turn into Grammar 101.

hula
01-01-2013, 04:10 PM
It's hard to believe you won't be behind the WS plate again. (What were they thinking?!!) You're the smartest player in baseball & will be missed more than you know. I hope you'll be back someday, if not as a player, as a coach. Meanwhile, you deserve to be honored with a food stand at the Cell - Pierzynski's Pierogi's seems fitting for both you and Chicago!

TheVulture
01-01-2013, 04:19 PM
The only player on the team, that is involved defensively in every pitch of the game is an overrated position? I really dont think so but to each his own.
As for me, I'll take Ron Karkovice every day of the week.

soxcap
01-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Wish the Sox had kept you, AJ! We're going to miss your heads-up plays.

I fondly recall the "Punch AJ" all-star voting campaign.

34rancher
01-01-2013, 10:44 PM
As for me, I'll take Ron Karkovice every day of the week.

Dude is going to turn 50 this August and hasn't played in 16 years, you sure?

TheVulture
01-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Dude is going to turn 50 this August and hasn't played in 16 years, you sure?

lol. Okay, let me rephrase. I'll take the equivalent of circa '93 era Ron Karkovice every day of the week. Happy? :redneck:

Vernam
01-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Devastated to learn that A.J. was a North Sider all along. Nice crib (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/05/aj-pierzynski-lincoln-par_n_2417202.html) for sale in Lincoln Park.

Vernam

Rocky Soprano
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Devastated to learn that A.J. was a North Sider all along. Nice crib (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/05/aj-pierzynski-lincoln-par_n_2417202.html) for sale in Lincoln Park.

Vernam

I'm pretty sure Konerko is a North Sider as well, I believe he mentioned living blocks away from Wrigley.

palehosepub
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Konerko is a North Sider as well, I believe he mentioned living blocks away from Wrigley.
Konerko used to have a mansion in the Palos Park (almost Lemont) area but he sold it a few years ago and bought a home in AZ.

SephClone89
01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Konerko used to have a mansion in the Palos Park (almost Lemont) area but he sold it a few years ago and bought a home in AZ.

Do you know how large that house is, by any chance?

doublem23
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM

He must have something local in the area during the season

gregoriop
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Do you know how large that house is, by any chance?

Or how one obtains a house that big?

mahagga73
01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
This made me laugh.

The fantasy baseball talent evaluations are usually pure comedy gold.
What? There is not one thing Flowers has done that shows me or anybody else he can hit even decent consistently on the major league level ? He better be like Ivan Rodriguez in his prime behind the plate to equal what we lost with AJ.