PDA

View Full Version : AJ signs 1-year deal with the Rangers

SephClone89
12-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Pending physical.

@JimBowdenESPNxm
Rangers and A.J. Pierzynski have agreed to terms on a one-year contract pending tomorrow's physical

Someone else can make the appreciation thread.

amsteel
12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
1 year? Wow.

I wonder how much.

thomas35forever
12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
1 year? Wow.

I wonder how much.
Probably less than what he was looking for.

#1swisher
12-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Buster Olney

The Rangers had to get some left-handed hitting, which makes A.J.Pierzynski a good fit for them.
A DH option on days he doesn't catch.

EDIT:
Chuck Garfien
According to a baseball source the Yankees did make a 1-year offer to A.J. Pierzynski, but he chose the Rangers.

DirtySox
12-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Fantastic.

It was overdue. Time to move on.

Frater Perdurabo
12-20-2012, 07:08 PM
The worst part of this - besides the fact that the Sox needed a left-handed bat and a quality starting catcher - is that douchebag Rangers fans will forget they booed him, without having any reason to have done so.

Bobby Thigpen
12-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Fantastic.

It was overdue. Time to move on.
To what?

mzh
12-20-2012, 07:14 PM
To what?
Can't wait to slot in another 150 strikeouts into the lineup.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-20-2012, 07:16 PM

And another .230 avg.

but hey, he hits homers! Everyone loves homers!

HomeFish
12-20-2012, 07:25 PM
The worst part of this - besides the fact that the Sox needed a left-handed bat and a quality starting catcher - is that douchebag Rangers fans will forget they booed him, without having any reason to have done so.

Oh come on, we hated AJ so much when he was with the Twins. I wished at least a dozen different horrible fates upon him in September 2003 alone.

AJ will play for another team for a few years, then retire, and a decade from now will be fondly remembered by Sox fans as an icon of his era on the south side.

WhiteSox5187
12-20-2012, 08:16 PM

I think Flowers is going to have a closer to 200 strikeouts and a .220 average.

Frater Perdurabo
12-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Oh come on, we hated AJ so much when he was with the Twins. I wished at least a dozen different horrible fates upon him in September 2003 alone.

I don't recall that we hated him any more than any other Twin.

The difference is that Rangers fans are notorious bandwagon jumpers. Half of them will tell you their favorite NL team is the Cubs, just because the media tells them the Cubs are lovable. They decided to hate AJ because that's what the media told them to do, not because the Sox had such a great record against the Rangers or because AJ regularly throttled Rangers pitchers.

SoxSpeed22
12-20-2012, 08:17 PM
The Rangers needed to keep up after losing Napoli and watching the Angels get better. He should do all right for him if he gets in about 100 games. He has that Fox studio gig locked up when he retires anyway. Angels fans have even more of a reason to boo him.

Noneck
12-20-2012, 08:27 PM
I am very curious how much he got and if the Sox even made a offer. I thought he would want a 2-3 year which the Sox didnt want but on a one year deal, I would think the Sox would have put a competitive offer on the table. Something isnt meshing in my mind unless its a 8-10M deal.

Probably the last place, I would have went to if I was AJ and wanted to extend my career beyond next year. Catching down there in the texas heat has to be very tough.

Bobby Thigpen
12-20-2012, 09:36 PM

And another .230 avg.

but hey, he hits homers! Everyone loves homers!
And the alternative is that clearly better?

SephClone89
12-20-2012, 10:08 PM
More fuel for the Rangers-Angels rivalry.

spawn
12-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Will we be the first city that he departed that will actually cheer for him when he returns in an opposing team's uniform?

Thome25
12-20-2012, 11:02 PM
This ****ing sucks.

One of my favorite Sox players of all time and my favorite current player signs with the ****ing Rangers.:whiner::whiner:

Thome25
12-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Will we be the first city that he departed that will actually cheer for him when he returns in an opposing team's uniform?

Absolutely.

tstrike2000
12-20-2012, 11:06 PM
The writing's been on the wall for a few weeks now and now it's pretty much official. For some of his deficiencies over the years, like throwing out baserunners, he's always been a team leader, good hitter, good baserunner and a smart player.

DumpJerry
12-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Well, it sounds like nobody wanted to give him a multi-year deal. He will turn 36 years old next week. He has spent many, many innings crouching being The Plate for many years now. I think many teams feel his best years are behind him.

I'm ok with this. Flowers does a better job of throwing out runners.

Noneck
12-20-2012, 11:25 PM
7.5M

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21430952/report-rangers-close-to-signing-aj-pierzynski-to-one-year-contract

Brian26
12-21-2012, 12:31 AM
I am very curious how much he got and if the Sox even made a offer. I thought he would want a 2-3 year which the Sox didnt want but on a one year deal, I would think the Sox would have put a competitive offer on the table. Something isnt meshing in my mind unless its a 8-10M deal.

Probably the last place, I would have went to if I was AJ and wanted to extend my career beyond next year. Catching down there in the texas heat has to be very tough.

The sox offered one year and four million.

Nellie_Fox
12-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Oh come on, we hated AJ so much when he was with the Twins.Speak for yourself. "We" did not hate him. I wish I could find it, but I made a post where I compared the Sox and Twins position by position back then, and at catcher I said about A.J. that I'd love to have him. I've always liked the way he went about his business.

Noneck
12-21-2012, 01:02 AM
The sox offered one year and four million.

Thanks for info. 7.5M is a lot but maybe somewhere in the middle would have been ok. AJ always finds a way to produce ink, he is a fan favorite and maybe even puts fans in the seats. Burls was not a realistic sign, AJ was. Its just tough to give up an icon after having his best year, for a couple mil.

CoopaLoop
12-21-2012, 02:34 AM
I figured the Sox would go because someone would be silly enough to give him two or more years.

I guess it is more important to find out what you have in Flowers this season, but I just don't think you have anything other than a back up.

SephClone89
12-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Anyone who thinks $7.5m is an overpay hasn't been paying attention to this offseason.

russ99
12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Now that the initial shock has worn away, I can understand why the Sox didn't re-sign him.

They need to figure out what happens at catcher moving forward eventually, A.J. isn't going to play forever.

That said, relying on Flowers seems a roadmap to years of revolving catchers, just like we had before A.J.. Chris Burke, anyone?

Hopefully we can bring in a long-term big league bat at the position, if not during the rest of the offseason, then before the trade deadline.

If it was a financial move, then it seems idiotic to spend to bring Peavy back (with surely more questions than A.J.) and let your best lefty bat, clubhouse guy and fan favorite go.

doublem23
12-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Anyone who thinks $7.5m is an overpay hasn't been paying attention to this offseason.

Seriously. And it's not even the money, ONE YEAR? Such minimal risk on the team's part, it's almost incomprehensible.

We offer the guy 1 year, $4 M? That's a ****ing joke in and of itself but then to let him walk over another $3.5 M is horrible. **** you, White Sox

WSox597
12-21-2012, 08:34 AM
I never hated A.J. when he was with other teams, never did understand that whole thing.

He played hard, he hit well, and was an average defensive catcher. He was getting older for baseball, though, and everybody knew it.

Still, you can't blame a guy for taking the money at age 36. It's all about the money in the final analysis, and it always has been.

I also hope he goes into managing in the future, he has a great baseball head on his shoulders.

Now, as far as hating a catcher, how about that punk from the Cubs who punched A.J.? There's a catcher who deserves major dislike.

One of my favorite moments from A.J. is that grand slam against the Cubs. The Cubs fan who did a face plant on the dugout roof is hilarious.

12-21-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm glad the White Sox didn't match the offer. I still think the time has come to go in a different direction and starting thinking on the long term. Give Flowers a shot.

Noneck
12-21-2012, 09:27 AM
I thought maybe a nights sleep would straighten things out in my mind, it didnt. This was a bad decision and a bad PR move also. This also shows that Dunn is not dumpable. Im sure at this stage of AJ's career he wouldnt mind DHing at least half the games while Flowers gets his shot if they could dump Dunn. Even salt and peppering some of Dunns contract could have been a possibility. This is not the way to lose a Sox icon.

doublem23
12-21-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm glad the White Sox didn't match the offer. I still think the time has come to go in a different direction and starting thinking on the long term. Give Flowers a shot.

I think there was still a way to creatively get Flowers a lot of PT at C, enough to find out if he's really a guy you can count on everyday for the next 3-4 years plus have a backup plan in Pierzynski if Flowers doesn't pan out, and find a way to get Pierzynski's bat in the lineup. Between Dunn's continued struggles and Konerko's age I don't think it would have been that hard. You're still talking about a guy who put up 3.3 oWAR last season, 2nd best on the team. Even if he falls back to Earth a little bit, that's a big cog out of a lineup that was barely above the AL average in RS/G.

ohiosoxfan
12-21-2012, 10:42 AM
With AJ signing just a one-year deal, I can see him returning to finish out his career on the South Side in a year or two. Be a good back up/PH at age 38 making $1million. Stranger things have happened.

voodoochile
12-21-2012, 01:36 PM
It's not about the money, it's about finding out if Flowers is a long term solution. If not they will find a guy in FA next off season probably.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-21-2012, 01:58 PM

Absolutely.

Cheer and a standing ovation.

AnkleSox
12-21-2012, 08:09 PM

I think the cell will be the only visiting stadium he ever receives a standing ovation in.

#1swisher
12-22-2012, 06:33 PM
A.J. passed his full physical, but will have to wait until Wed. to complete the paperwork. MLB offices are closed for the holiday.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/2012/12/pierzynski-goes-through-physical-with-no-problems-but-holidays-delay-completion-of-one-year-deal-with-rangers.html/

DonnieDarko
12-22-2012, 06:42 PM
It's not about the money, it's about finding out if Flowers is a long term solution. If not they will find a guy in FA next off season probably.

What FA catchers are available next season, though?

I remember seeing a list not so long ago, and it had a ton of old guys on it, if I remember correctly. Some bad ones, too.

wassagstdu
12-23-2012, 10:52 AM
A.J. passed his full physical, but will have to wait until Wed. to complete the paperwork. MLB offices are closed for the holiday.

So you're saying we still have a chance!?

This is a case of burning your bridge before crossing it.

DSpivack
12-23-2012, 12:53 PM
I think the cell will be the only visiting stadium he ever receives a standing ovation in.
I still don't understand why Twins fans boo him.

Bobby Thigpen
12-23-2012, 01:58 PM
So you're saying we still have a chance!?

This is a case of burning your bridge before crossing it.
Doesn't every free agent signing ever get released before all the I's are dotted and T's crossed?

Nellie_Fox
12-24-2012, 01:07 AM
I still don't understand why Twins fans boo him.I ask them that all the time. The only explanation I've ever gotten (besides "he's a jerk") is that they believe he once tried to spike Morneau at first.

DumpJerry
12-24-2012, 11:28 AM
I ask them that all the time. The only explanation I've ever gotten (besides "he's a jerk") is that they believe he once tried to spike Morneau at first.
That's better than the response I got when I once asked them. I got a shoulder shrug and a weak "I dunno, everyone does it." Lemmings.

cards press box
12-24-2012, 01:06 PM
What FA catchers are available next season, though?

I remember seeing a list not so long ago, and it had a ton of old guys on it, if I remember correctly. Some bad ones, too.

Jarrod Saltalamachia is a free agent after 2013. AJ and John Buck are also available as is Brian McCann.

McCann or Saltalamachia are both relatively young and provide lefty power (Salty is a switch hitter). For their careers, McCann has a much better OBP than Salty.

With the log jam they have at 1B, DH and C, I wonder if Seattle might move John Jaso. In 2013, Jaso would be a nice compliment to Tyler Flowers.

SephClone89
12-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Jarrod Saltalamachia is a free agent after 2013. AJ and John Buck are also available as is Brian McCann.

McCann or Saltalamachia are both relatively young and provide lefty power (Salty is a switch hitter). For their careers, McCann has a much better OBP than Salty.

With the log jam they have at 1B, DH and C, I wonder if Seattle might move John Jaso. In 2013, Jaso would be a nice compliment to Tyler Flowers.

McCann has been one of the top three or four catchers in baseball over the last five years. Granted, he had an off year in 2012, but I would jump for joy if the Sox could somehow get a hold of him.