PDA

View Full Version : White Sox 2013 game times revealed...

SephClone89
12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/schedule/printable.jsp

Very few weekday games (after last year when it seemed like there were more than usual), with the major exception of the opening series...

Sox open at 3:05 against the Royals on Monday the 1st, then play 1:10 games on the Wednesday and Thursday.

Why would they do this? I would easily take a personal day for the sake of Opening Day (I've never gone), but it's the Monday immediately following my spring break so I can't. I thought "oh well, I'll just go to the first night game then," but apparently that's not in the cards, either. They must not be expecting much attendance in those Wednesday and Thursday games.

After that, the weekday games are...
Wednesday April 24th vs the Indians
Thursday July 4th vs the Orioles
Thursday July 25th vs the Tigers
Thursday August 14th vs the Tigers

Other notable game times--Saturdays are almost all 3pm or 6pm, though the first Saturday (April 6th) is noon, and April 20th is 2pm. Strange.

PS--anyone else planning on going to either of the exhibition games at Miller Park on March 29th or 30th? I'm planning on the 30th, especially since I can't make the opening series now. I wonder what ticket prices will be like for those.

russ99
12-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Wow, killer road trip to begin September:

3 in Boston, 3 in New York, 4 in Baltimore and then home for 3 vs Detroit with zero off days.

Hopefully we have a big lead by then...

Lip Man 1
12-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Russ:

Every year the league schedule maker ****s the Sox. It is what it is. 14 home games in April, I'm sure the crowds will be S.R.O. in 40 degree weather.

Lip

amsteel
12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Wow, killer road trip to begin September:

3 in Boston, 3 in New York, 4 in Baltimore and then home for 3 vs Detroit with zero off days.

Hopefully we have a big lead by then...

The schedule makers know if there isn't a tough road trip in Aug/Sept White Sox message boards will have nothing to complain about.

kittle42
12-19-2012, 06:03 PM
I am sure schedules for (at least some) other teams are just as "bad" as ours.

Another case of our fanbase not really using any basis for comparison.

doublem23
12-19-2012, 06:28 PM

Seriously. 81 home dates in 6 months averages to 13.5 per month. MAN DID WE GET ****ED

SephClone89
12-19-2012, 06:32 PM

Seriously. 81 home dates in 6 months averages to 13.5 per month. MAN DID WE GET ****ED

If I remember correctly from when the schedule was released, the White Sox will travel the shortest cumulative distance of any team in baseball next year.

Put away the goddamn tinfoil hats.

DSpivack
12-19-2012, 06:34 PM

There is no comparison to make, as the White Sox are the only team in Major League Baseball.

SephClone89
12-19-2012, 06:43 PM
There is no comparison to make, as the White Sox are the only team in Major League Baseball.

"The Sox must have led the AL in percentage of solo home runs!"

roylestillman
12-19-2012, 07:01 PM
What is up with that 1:10 start on FRIDAY September 13th?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-19-2012, 07:25 PM

I demanded it, since I wanted to go to that game (it's my birthday) and I work nights. :redneck

SaltyPretzel
12-19-2012, 07:46 PM

I'm guessing Yom Kippur.

WLL1855
12-19-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm guessing Yom Kippur.

At least it shows better planning than last year.

Brian26
12-19-2012, 07:53 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/schedule/printable.jsp

Very few weekday games (after last year when it seemed like there were more than usual), with the major exception of the opening series...

Sox open at 3:05 against the Royals on Monday the 1st, then play 1:10 games on the Wednesday and Thursday.

Why would they do this?

Night games during the first week of April in Chicago are pretty brutal to sit through.

SephClone89
12-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Night games during the first week of April in Chicago are pretty brutal to sit through.

I suppose I haven't gone to any games the first week of April, as they've been opening on the road lately. I've found that the second week of April can be hit and miss.

Oh well, I'll just plan on one of the first weekend games against Seattle. Depending on if the Sox skip the 5th starter with the off day, Saturday the 5th could be Sale/Felix. :yup:

EDIT: the last supposition assumes that Sale will be the Opening Day starter. I guess it wouldn't be totally unthinkable that Peavy's the guy.

DSpivack
12-19-2012, 08:30 PM

I'm guessing Yom Kippur.

I googled it, and that is correct. I'm not sure I ever remember Yom Kippur falling that early before. Thanksgiving the 1st day of Hanukkah! Crazy.

amsteel
12-19-2012, 08:31 PM
5 different start times on Saturdays.

Wedema
12-19-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm guessing Yom Kippur.

But, Youkilis is gone now....

PaleHoser
12-19-2012, 10:48 PM
No weekend series at home vs. the Tigers this year, but weekend series with the Braves and Marlins.

Doesn't make that much sense to me. :scratch:

doublem23
12-19-2012, 11:07 PM
No weekend series at home vs. the Tigers this year, but weekend series with the Braves and Marlins.

To save everyone from having to watch the carnage

kittle42
12-19-2012, 11:12 PM
To save everyone from having to watch the carnage

Hey-oh!!!

It's funny because it's true!

doublem23
12-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey-oh!!!

It's funny because it's true!

If the Tigers steamroll the Sox and only 15 K are there to see it... did it really happen?

DumpJerry
12-19-2012, 11:14 PM
EDIT: the last supposition assumes that Sale will be the Opening Day starter. I guess it wouldn't be totally unthinkable that Peavy's the guy.
Don't forget Danks. Damn, we might have a total kick-ass 1-3.

hoosiersoxfan
12-20-2012, 12:30 AM
Don't forget Danks. Damn, we might have a total kick-ass 1-3.

Seriously I think if those 3 guys can stay healthy any team would be more than happy to roll with them as the top 3 of their rotation.

I'm hoping the young guys in the pen and rotation can all have solid years like most of last years (and please no more of Leyton Septimo!!!)

Lip Man 1
12-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Kittle:

The Sox brass has been bitching for years to MLB about the schedule and the oddities they seem to get every season.

If they are upset about it, I'm upset about it.

They have a real attendance issue, MLB knows it, yet they schedule 14 April home games when the weather most likely will be **** and they'll draw about the same.

Makes perfect sense to me!

Lip

BainesHOF
12-20-2012, 01:20 AM
If the Tigers steamroll the Sox and only 15 K are there to see it... did it really happen?

You must mean only the 9,500 actually at the game.

russ99
12-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Kittle:

The Sox brass has been bitching for years to MLB about the schedule and the oddities they seem to get every season.

They have a real attendance issue, MLB knows it, yet they schedule 14 April home games when the weather most likely will be **** and they'll draw about the same.

Lip

IMO, the scheduling league-wide has been a mess since MLB gave the account to that computer-based scheduling company.

The only good part about the schedule this year is that it's balanced.

SephClone89
12-20-2012, 09:47 AM
IMO, the scheduling league-wide has been a mess since MLB gave the account to that computer-based scheduling company.

The only good part about the schedule this year is that it's balanced.

I think you mean more balanced.

doublem23
12-20-2012, 09:48 AM

10 bucks says there won't be a Jewish player on the roster come September and they'll change the start time to 7:05 about a week before the game.

kittle42
12-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Kittle:

Lip

I choose not to live in the Sox brass' world where everything MLB does is to somehow antagonize them.

beasly213
12-20-2012, 12:14 PM
I like the 3:05 start for the opener. I might be able to work till like 11 that day now instead of taking the whole day off.

Also the last time the Brewers and Sox played an exhibition game before the season tickets were $5 each.

Mr. Jinx
12-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Kittle:

Lip

How would it be any more or less fair to any other team in the league to hold April home games? I'm sure the warm weather cities aren't exactly clamoring to have them as they will draw less than a summer game too.

Golden Sox
12-20-2012, 04:19 PM
14 games at home in April could prove to be a good thing in the long run. Getting off to a good start in April could create more interest in the team at the start of the season. More home wins in April could lead to bigger crowds the rest of the season. I'm hoping they do well at home in April and this could lead to a successful 2013 season.

kittle42
12-20-2012, 04:24 PM
It's actually 16 home games in April, by the way.

Lip Man 1
12-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Jinx:

So who said life was fair?

One example the Sox brass likes to point to was when Cleveland was struggling with attendance. MLB made the schedule so that the Yankees would make two trips to Cleveland, in the summer, on a weekend, with school out to give them a boost.

Regarding the warm weather cities playing a number of April home games. Well in the early 90's MLB had this type of schedule in place to try to eliminate rainouts, snowouts, just games being played in lousy weather. You know to actually make it possible for fans to ENJOY the game instead of freezing their asses off. Yes, some teams bitched and moaned but again I get back to the original line in this comment.

You play in good weather in Southern California, Texas, Florida or in a dome?...sorry, that's the price you pay. Teams from Chicago, Boston, Detroit, New York are coming to your town in April.

Just my opinion.

Lip

WLL1855
12-20-2012, 08:14 PM
10 bucks says there won't be a Jewish player on the roster come September and they'll change the start time to 7:05 about a week before the game.

So true.

LITTLE NELL
12-20-2012, 08:45 PM

A large percentage of the syndicate that owns the Sox is Jewish and that might have something to do with it, this way ownership can see the afternoon game and observe Yom Kippur which I believe starts at sundown.