PDA

View Full Version : Who still enjoys the Sox even in years they don't contend?

tony1972
12-16-2012, 01:37 PM
I had a general question for those out there...who enjoys watching the White Sox and going to games even in years in which they are out of it?

I'm wondering as my expectations for this season are not that high..however..I find myself looking forward to next year. Going to Sunday games and tailgating and hanging out in the area..I still find Sox games fun..even in seasons in which they are out of it.

I know many people who refuse to go to games when the Sox are not in the race..however..don't you feel as if you are denying yourself part of summer by not going to at least a few games and hanging out at the ballpark?:scratch:

Just curious as to others thoughts on this.

ChicagoG19
12-16-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't enjoy the Sox in years they don't contend. When the Sox are contending, I usually watch 85% of the games and go to 25-30 games a year. However, when they are not contending, I'll watch maybe 40% of the games and go to 5-10 games a year. I still watch and pay attention to the Sox when they are not contending, but it's difficult to enjoy them when the games ultimately don't mean anything.

EMachine10
12-16-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't enjoy the White Sox losing, but I enjoy watching and supporting the White Sox at all times.

Lip Man 1
12-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Losing is never fun or enjoyable, it's all about winning. When the Sox are having a bad season I start counting down the number of days until the Bears hit training camp. Once the Sox hit the magic number of 81 losses as far as I'm concerned the season is over.

Lip

SephClone89
12-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I just really love baseball, so Sox season is the best part of the year.

I still go to plenty of games with friends--I'll pick opponents with players that interest me, etc.

If the Sox aren't playing as well I'm more likely to follow the rest of the majors closely to make up for it.

central44
12-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I just look at this division and the size of the market, and really don't think the Sox have any excuse to be losing. If they were losing as part of a rebuilding process, it would be fun to follow the young players as they progress from year to year.

But when they go "All in" and play terrible, uninspired baseball or are handing the division to Detroit on a silver platter after being in first all season? No way do I find that enjoyable at all. I have no shame in tuning out an underperforming team.

Or for instance in a 2009 situation where they went cheap in a lot of areas and never seemed serious about rebuilding OR contending. I won't get invested in that, either.

russ99
12-16-2012, 02:20 PM
I just look at this division and the size of the market, and really don't think the Sox have any excuse to be losing. If they were losing as part of a rebuilding process, it would be fun to follow the young players as they progress from year to year.

But when they go "All in" and play terrible, uninspired baseball or are handing the division to Detroit on a silver platter after being in first all season? No way do I find that enjoyable at all. I have no shame in tuning out an underperforming team.

Or for instance in a 2009 situation where they went cheap in a lot of areas and never seemed serious about rebuilding OR contending. I won't get invested in that, either.

Since Kenny took over, I don't think there has been a year where we even remotely attempted to rebuild. There were some years the plan didn't work, like 2007 and 2009.

So it's been Pre-2000 since we've had to see that. In those years it was fun to go to the park, but obviously a fans level of involvement with the team couldn't be as high as in season where we at least try to win.

Seems a stilted question, along the lines of "what's a successful season" as there were tons of arguments about on this board in the past.

LITTLE NELL
12-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Lets face it, winning years are more enjoyable than losing ones but The White Sox are part of me and even when they are 20 games under .500 I'm pulling for them to go to 19 under just as hard as if they were fighting for the pennant.
I watch them every chance I can regardless of their record.

Golden Sox
12-16-2012, 04:37 PM
White Sox baseball is the only sports obsession I have. I attend and watch as many games as I can. But its still more fun if they're playing winning baseball. That being said, I was surprised that the White Sox sent me a free 1972 home jersey for being a Season Ticket Holder. The quality of the jersey is quite decent. They've sent me gifts in the past, but this is probably the nicest gift they have sent me.

robertks61
12-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Good or bad I'm with them. I schedule what I do to attend or watch almost every game.

MeteorsSox4367
12-16-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm a diehard Sox fan and baseball geek. I wait for spring training and watch at least some (if not all) of the games during the season. There's just something about the Sox and baseball that I thoroughly enjoy.

As much as I love football, the NFL doesn't truly start for me until the Sox' season is over.

Bucky F. Dent
12-16-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't enjoy losing, but I enjoy baseball, and I love the Sox.

SoxChic5
12-16-2012, 10:09 PM
I prefer when the White Sox win, but I will always support my team and go to every game possible!

ChiSoxGal85
12-16-2012, 10:30 PM
I watch or attend every game that I can, and it ends up being nearly all 162. I think I missed maybe 5 games in 2012. When they're playing poorly (see 2011), I still watch, but if it's another crappy Sox loss and they're out of contention, it's easier to shut the game off halfway through and walk away.

Nellie_Fox
12-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Bad White Sox baseball is better than no White Sox baseball. I've watched some pretty bad teams in my time. I was not tested by the 1970 season, however.

JB98
12-17-2012, 01:42 AM
I don't enjoy losing, but I enjoy baseball, and I love the Sox.

Perfectly stated.

Jerko
12-17-2012, 11:17 AM
The only year I didn't enjoy was 2011.

Mr. Jinx
12-17-2012, 11:36 AM
When the Sox are bad I'll go to about 75% of the games in person than if they were doing well. For TV, when the Sox are doing well I make it a point to watch them, if they are doing poorly I'll watch if I have nothing better to do.

LITTLE NELL
12-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Bad White Sox baseball is better than no White Sox baseball. I've watched some pretty bad teams in my time. I was not tested by the 1970 season, however.

1970 was brutal along with 69. I missed 68 because I was in Viet Nam and I think you were there in 1970.

ElevenUp
12-17-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm less likely to watch a game on TV when the Sox are not contending, but I love going to the ballpark with my family even when our beloved Sox are not doing well.

Steelrod
12-17-2012, 01:37 PM
They are my team, win or lose. Obviously I prefer wins.
Funny though, I find it strangely interesting at the end of the season, and think about what could have been. Helps me count the days until spriing training.

Moses_Scurry
12-17-2012, 07:31 PM
I will go to my 1-2 games at US Cellular per year whether the team is contending or not. If they are contending, the number might go up by 1 or 2, but that is really all I have time for with the wife and kids and all. Going to a baseball game in person is a wonderful experience for me. I even love going to ballparks where the Sox are not playing to watch a game. I've probably been to half of the current MLB ballparks and a handful that are not around anymore.

If the Sox are contending, I will listen/watch every game that I can from start to finish. I will follow games that I can't watch or listen to online. If I am at a social function where I can't follow the game, I will be sure to check the box score the first chance I get.

If the Sox are not contending, I'll probably still check the box scores and follow some games online. I'll watch a few innings whenever I can, but I won't set aside time to watch the game from start to finish.

Nellie_Fox
12-18-2012, 12:59 AM
1970 was brutal along with 69. I missed 68 because I was in Viet Nam and I think you were there in 1970.Yep. I was at Ft. Gordon for most of the '60 season so I knew little about it, and knew nothing about the '70 season until I got home in the spring of '71.

Hitmen77
01-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I have enjoyed the Sox in some of the seasons where they did not contend. But, that's not automatically the case.

2011 is a good example. I did NOT enjoy 2011 when the team played like a bunch of quitters. Also, IMO, the 2011 Sox had a manager who had already quit on the team, had no respect for the fans, and was looking ahead to success in Miami. No, I did not enjoy them that year.

Also, it depends on what direction the franchise is heading in. In the late 80s and again in the late 90s, the Sox were not contenders, but I enjoyed watching them because they had this collection of young talent that was in the process of developing into major league stars. Right now, however, the Sox look like a mediocre team to me and lack of internal talent and lack of "payroll flexibility" (or whatever Sox management wants to call it) doesn't make the next couple of years look very promising. After 4 straight years of the Sox showing themselves to be pretenders instead of contenders, I probably haven't felt this way about the state of the Sox since maybe 1986 or 87.

blandman
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Some of my best childhood memories involved grabbing BP balls in the seats bleachers before a game. It didn't matter to me that we were terrible.

I'll never feel that way again though. I'm too much of an ass now. Win the damn game. :redneck

spawn
01-07-2013, 05:02 PM
The only year I didn't enjoy was 2011.

I'd have to agree with this. Ozzie was such a distraction, and the team seemed to quit when he did, so they weren't fun to watch. If they are losing, but doing so with effort, I can appreciate and enjoy it. If they are just laying down and not really trying, then not so much.

LoveYourSuit
01-07-2013, 05:14 PM
It's all about expectations for me.

If you field a top 10 payroll like they have for the last 7 seasons, I expect the team to make the postseason.

Next season, I will expect the Sox to contend again. Not many teams have what we will at the top of the rotation.

So if the Sox struggle with that pitching staff, I will be upset and won't find the games enjoyable.

mahagga73
01-07-2013, 05:17 PM
I had a general question for those out there...who enjoys watching the White Sox and going to games even in years in which they are out of it?

I'm wondering as my expectations for this season are not that high..however..I find myself looking forward to next year. Going to Sunday games and tailgating and hanging out in the area..I still find Sox games fun..even in seasons in which they are out of it.

I know many people who refuse to go to games when the Sox are not in the race..however..don't you feel as if you are denying yourself part of summer by not going to at least a few games and hanging out at the ballpark?:scratch:

Just curious as to others thoughts on this.
I don't care I just love going to the park. If the Sox are in the race all the better.

Irishsox1
01-07-2013, 05:18 PM
When the Sox won in 2005, I cashed in any emotional connection to the Sox. Now when they win, great...when they lose, get them tomorrow and when they don't make the playoffs, get them next year. Odds are I would have come to this type of thinking eventually, but seeing them finally win the World Series seemed like a perfect time to cash in my chips.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
I follow the Sox win or lose. It's more fun when they win, but even when they're having a bad season, it beats no season. I miss following the Sox a couple of weeks after the season ends.

SI1020
01-07-2013, 07:36 PM
In the summer of 69 I worked a 4-12 shift that sometimes went beyond midnight. I remember the break room and my sometimes lonely vigil catching a bit of Jack Drees and an awful Sox team on the overhead TV. All this while the "miracle of Addison Street" was playing itself out to its tragic conclusion. The next season made the 69 team look like a pennant contender. I've hung in there since 1957 through thick and thin and thinner.

nsolo
01-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I'll always follow the Sox, good or bad. Baseball is the greatest game ever invented, and even though I get upset at times when the team is performing poorly, nothing beats sitting on the patio with some cold frosties listening to the game with my lovely wife. She's a big baseball fan, too.

Living in Michigan, we don't make it to the Cell for many games at all. Too expensive on our income level. When we do, its quite the treat. But we'll gladly settle for a nice summer night, a small fire, some eats, adult beverages and my trust transistor radio from when I was a kid. An old Zenith made in the 60's in Chicago, I believe. I'm 57, so I got my money's worth out of it.

When the Sox win, life is good. But even when they lose, there's usually another chance the next day. And its summer.

I don't really follow pro football. College football, yes. Go Blue! But baseball is my favorite. By far. Win or lose, I'll always be a White Sox fan. As was my Mom, who was a fan due to her grandfather who at one time owned a bar on the southside.

Nellie Fox was my great grandfather's favorite, and even though I can't remember if I ever saw him play, he's my favorite too. Nellie was a Freemason and so am I.

So, win or lose, I proudly wear my Sox hat year around. Sox fans where I live are few and far between. Mostly Cub and Tiger fans. So when I spot another Sox fan, I always represent.

slavko
01-08-2013, 10:53 AM
If you love baseball...and the White Sox are part of your life...where else are you going to go to appreciate the beauty of the game?

voodoochile
01-08-2013, 11:14 AM
I still watch though if they are out of the race early I tend to spend less time watching games late in the season as other sports' seasons start, I don't enjoy the season as much but it still gives me joy. I still enjoy the 2012 season even though they didn't get to the playoffs. For 5.5 months they gave me plenty of happiness.