DSpivack
12-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Per various reports on twitter.

MUsoxfan
12-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Better than the Tigers

DSpivack
12-13-2012, 05:56 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/cubs-agree-to-sign-anibal-sanchez.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Deal worth up to $75 million, whatever that means.

WhiteSox5187
12-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Jon Heyman and Ken Rosenthal are now saying the deal is not yet official and the Tigers are still very much in the mix.

doublem23
12-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Jon Heyman and Ken Rosenthal are now saying the deal is not yet official and the Tigers are still very much in the mix.

They blew the deal for Dempster to Atlanta. They blew the deal with Los Angeles for Haren. Who the **** in their front office loves being "an anonymous source" so much that they can't keep their ****ing mouths shut?

WhiteSox5187
12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
They blew the deal for Dempster to Atlanta. They blew the deal with Los Angeles for Haren. Who the **** in their front office loves being "an anonymous source" so much that they can't keep their ****ing mouths shut?

Honestly? I suspect it's Theo.

Bob Nightengale is saying that the Tigers have a chance to match the Cubs 5 year offer. Last offer the Tigers made was 4 years.

cards press box
12-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Better than the Tigers

I agree. Have to hope that the Tigers do not pull this one out.

DirtySox
12-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Tigers deal was upped. Assuming he stays with Detroit.

Brian26
12-13-2012, 08:15 PM

LOL.

The best part of this is watching Kaplan ejaculate all over himself on Twitter and then have to back-pedal. :rolling:

JB98
12-13-2012, 08:28 PM

I'm pretty sure Crane Kenney is Kaplan's guy.

Kap should probably stop trusting the non-baseball executive.

PalehosePlanet
12-13-2012, 08:57 PM
I don't understand why a team whose GM claims are deeply committed to a full rebuild would want to give a mid-rotation, when healthy, pitcher 15 million per season.

I know he was once a Red Sox product, but it still doesn't make much sense.

CoopaLoop
12-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Would be a very weird move for the Cubs.

I don't get the love affair for Anibal Sanchez. He has never pitched 200 innings and we are 7 years into his career.

DSpivack
12-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Would be a very weird move for the Cubs.

I don't get the love affair for Anibal Sanchez. He has never pitched 200 innings and we are 7 years into his career.
I think he's a pretty good pitcher (his numbers aren't much worse than Greinke's), but as said the concern with him is health. The last 3 seasons have seen him pitch 190+ innings, but we'll see if he can do that going forward (whether in Detroit, Chicago, or elsewhere).

canOcorn
12-13-2012, 10:01 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/cubs-agree-to-sign-anibal-sanchez.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Deal worth up to $75 million, whatever that means.

LOL! Only the Cubs would now sign a guy to make ~$45M over the next 3 years and lose 90+ games each of those years. Hopefully this happens and the Tigers are left with Smyly and Porcello in their rotation.

DumpJerry
12-13-2012, 10:29 PM
LOL! Only the Cubs would now sign a guy to make ~$45M over the next 3 years and lose 90+ games each of those years. Hopefully this happens and the Tigers are left with Smyly and Porcello in their rotation.
Did I miss the news about Verlander being kidnapped by Martians?

canOcorn
12-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Did I miss the news about Verlander being kidnapped by Martians?

No, I'm just happy that 1/2 of the 130 starts that he's not on the mound will be left to Smyly and Porcello.

doublem23
12-13-2012, 11:33 PM

It's the price for pitching in modern baseball. ****, the Red Sox DFA'd Zach Stewart and they were able to find a team to give them something for him.

DSpivack
12-14-2012, 12:37 AM
It's the price for pitching in modern baseball. ****, the Red Sox DFA'd Zach Stewart and they were able to find a team to give them something for him.
Given this market, $15 million per season for Anibal Sanchez does not seem so bad to me.

SoxSpeed22
12-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Not sure about 5 years, but any kind of pitching for them is welcomed.

thomas35forever
12-14-2012, 02:31 AM
I don't know how the Cubs keep jumping the gun on so-called deals, but they better change something to avoid being a laughingstock in another area.

Oblong
12-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Tigers have matched the offer and now the Cubs bumped it way up to 77.5 million.... twitter peeps suggest he'll take the Tigers offer.

Oblong
12-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Reports now say he's agreed with Tigers... 5/80.

ohiosoxfan
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
$16 Million a year for a guy who was 9-13 a year ago, has won double figures twice in his career (high of 13) and is 48-51 lifetime. I hope this one REALLY backfires for Detroit. Just because he pitched well for a short time (in the playoffs) last year, he gets this kind of payoff. Too bad Phill Humber didn't finish up strong- maybe the Tiggers would have given him the bank!

roylestillman
12-14-2012, 10:41 AM
This is getting pretty funny. I wouldn't believe them if they leaked a story about hiring a beer vendor for the Outfield Terrace section.

Lip Man 1
12-14-2012, 12:12 PM
As long as Ilitch is alive he'll spend whatever he needs to spend to win a World Series.

Lip

Chez
12-14-2012, 12:31 PM
As long as Ilitch is alive he'll spend whatever he needs to spend to win a World Series.

Lip

I think you're right, Lip. It will be interesting to see what happens after Mr. Ilitch passes and the Tigers still are paying out on all these big contracts.

Marqhead
12-14-2012, 01:14 PM
2010-2012
Pitcher A: 8.7 K/9 IP, 2.3 BB/9 IP, 0.8 HR/9 IP, .309 BABIP, 3.83 ERA, 3.16 FIP
Pitcher B: 8.1 K/9 IP, 2.8 BB/9 IP, 0.8 HR/9 IP, .308 BABIP, 3.70 ERA, 3.40 FIP

doublem23
12-14-2012, 02:06 PM
2010-2012
Pitcher A: 8.7 K/9 IP, 2.3 BB/9 IP, 0.8 HR/9 IP, .309 BABIP, 3.83 ERA, 3.16 FIP
Pitcher B: 8.1 K/9 IP, 2.8 BB/9 IP, 0.8 HR/9 IP, .308 BABIP, 3.70 ERA, 3.40 FIP

Greinke vs. Sanchez probs

JB98
12-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Really surprised the injury-prone Sanchez got five years, but hey, the market for starting pitching is pretty thin this year. Sanchez was probably the best remaining guy out there after Greinke signed.

The Tigers are obviously in win now mode. I think three or four years down the road this contract is going to be an albatross for them, but I doubt they'll care too much if they win the World Series in 2013.

Sanchez would have made no sense for the Cubs at those years and dollars. Don't know what they were thinking. Probably all they accomplished was giving Sanchez a little more leverage to extract more $$$$ from the Tigers.

mahagga73
12-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't understand why a team whose GM claims are deeply committed to a full rebuild would want to give a mid-rotation, when healthy, pitcher 15 million per season.

I know he was once a Red Sox product, but it still doesn't make much sense.
Contraire, they showed on TV that he has nearly the same splits as the overrated Zack Greinke. I think he is underrated personally.

Marqhead
12-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Greinke vs. Sanchez probs

Pretty sure you'd get it because you read Grantland. That's about an 8 million a year difference and people think Sanchez is way overpaid.

Oblong
12-14-2012, 02:26 PM
As an observer of his when he came to the Tigers I can tell you the comes across as a bulldog.

3 of his first 4 starts with the Tigers were bad. They skipped a start and he settled down. Lights out in the playoffs. I'm happy with it. I don't think it'll be a bad contract. in 5 years $16 million will be like $9 million today.

mahagga73
12-14-2012, 02:33 PM
As an observer of his when he came to the Tigers I can tell you the comes across as a bulldog.

3 of his first 4 starts with the Tigers were bad. They skipped a start and he settled down. Lights out in the playoffs. I'm happy with it. I don't think it'll be a bad contract. in 5 years $16 million will be like $9 million today.
yeah, the Cubs know that too apparently.

Thome25
12-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Who's Sanchez's agent?

This reeks of the patented Scott Boras "use another team as a bargaining chip" move.

The Cubs were obviously used to squeeze more money out of the Tigers.

WhiteSox5187
12-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Who's Sanchez's agent?

This reeks of the patented Scott Boras "use another team as a bargaining chip" move.

The Cubs were obviously used to squeeze more money out of the Tigers.

I think the Cubs really wanted him. He is represented by SFX by the way.

DrCrawdad
12-14-2012, 08:13 PM

LOL.

The best part of this is watching Kaplan ejaculate all over himself on Twitter and then have to back-pedal. :rolling:

I don't like the Tigers signing Sanchez but it is lightened a bit by Kaplan's tears and anger.

canOcorn
12-14-2012, 09:31 PM
I don't like the Tigers signing Sanchez but it is lightened a bit by Kaplan's tears and anger.

I wish the Cubs would have signed him, but it's a massive overpay because he was arguably the 2nd best pitcher on the market. Ilitch doesn't give a damn how me he spends right now and Greinke set the market, even though that was a massive overpay. Floyd should be looking good to everyone else right now since he's only owed money 1 more year, didn't pitch in a monster ballpark (old park included) and in the NL.

I understand that owners are raking in the cash with the new revenue streams (and new TV deals), but $16M a year to Anibal freaking Sanchez is absurd.

DSpivack
12-15-2012, 12:55 AM
I wish the Cubs would have signed him, but it's a massive overpay because he was arguably the 2nd best pitcher on the market. Ilitch doesn't give a damn how me he spends right now and Greinke set the market, even though that was a massive overpay. Floyd should be looking good to everyone else right now since he's only owed money 1 more year, didn't pitch in a monster ballpark (old park included) and in the NL.

I understand that owners are raking in the cash with the new revenue streams (and new TV deals), but $16M a year to Anibal freaking Sanchez is absurd.

When Zack Greinke gets $25M/year, I don't think Sanchez at $16M per is that absurd. And perhaps neither of them are considering multibillion TV deals.

He's a good pitcher and I like him... when he's healthy. He's been durable the last few seasons, but we'll see if he can hold that up for 5 seasons. Of that I remain skeptical. That's where the risk is here.

DrCrawdad
12-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Well that was dirty of Sanchez to do that to the Cubbies.

:redneck

PalehosePlanet
12-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Contraire, they showed on TV that he has nearly the same splits as the overrated Zack Greinke. I think he is underrated personally.

Contraire what? Zach Greinke being overrated means Sanchez is a top of the rotation starter?

Also, Sanchez is overrated, not underrated. Ever since his hot start in his rookie year, baseball people have been talking about his potential ad nauseum. The truth is that since his rookie year he's been 38-48 w/an ERA of over 4.00. That, btw, translates to about 4.5 in the AL -- or if going by his last 3 year avg. about 4.25.

Greinke, btw, although overrated, is way better than Sanchez in every single aspect of pitching. Despite the fact that MLB Network ran that cute little peripheral 3 year stat comparison, without accounting for variables (stadiums, leagues, etc...) they mean close to nothing.

mahagga73
12-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Contraire what? Zach Greinke being overrated means Sanchez is a top of the rotation starter?

Also, Sanchez is overrated, not underrated. Ever since his hot start in his rookie year, baseball people have been talking about his potential ad nauseum. The truth is that since his rookie year he's been 38-48 w/an ERA of over 4.00. That, btw, translates to about 4.5 in the AL -- or if going by his last 3 year avg. about 4.25.

Greinke, btw, although overrated, is way better than Sanchez in every single aspect of pitching. Despite the fact that MLB Network ran that cute little peripheral 3 year stat comparison, without accounting for variables (stadiums, leagues, etc...) they mean close to nothing.
I never said he was top of the rotation, he is a major risk considering his injury history just like Hamilton is . I just think he is better than people think, and Greinke is not near as good as people think . Comparing contracts, Sanchez is not overpaid.

PalehosePlanet
12-15-2012, 10:12 PM

Lip

It's true the old man has money and wants to win. The perplexing thing is: The Tigers have no closer, yet they supposedly are not interested in Soriano. So if money is no object......? Weird. My guess is they'll be overpaying for a closer next July.

GoSox2K3
12-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Sox fans love to say other teams' FA signings are for way too much money. Other big market teams find a way to spend this money without it seriously hamstringing them down the road. The Cubs might be a big exception to that - and maybe the Mets too.

Is $16M for Sanchez too much money? Who knows - teams are raking in more and more money and they're spending more and more money on players too. If the Sox want to be one of the big boys in the AL, they're going to have to keep up with the market. New York, Boston, Detroit, Texas, LAA - they're not shying away from big contracts and they're consistent playoff contenders.

If the Sox answer to this is to point to the $56M they threw at a 1-dimensional all or nothing slugger and say they don't want to get burned again, then they can just sit back and watch other teams pass them by and scratch their heads as to why fans won't support their team.

The other alternative to paying this kind of money on free agents is to develop enough talent from within to fill roster holes.....and we know the Sox have been woefully inadequate in that category for the last decade.

Lip Man 1
12-16-2012, 02:43 PM
GoSox:

Those are valid points in my opinion.

Lip

JB98
12-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Sox fans love to say other teams' FA signings are for way too much money. Other big market teams find a way to spend this money without it seriously hamstringing them down the road. The Cubs might be a big exception to that - and maybe the Mets too.

Is $16M for Sanchez too much money? Who knows - teams are raking in more and more money and they're spending more and more money on players too. If the Sox want to be one of the big boys in the AL, they're going to have to keep up with the market. New York, Boston, Detroit, Texas, LAA - they're not shying away from big contracts and they're consistent playoff contenders.

If the Sox answer to this is to point to the $56M they threw at a 1-dimensional all or nothing slugger and say they don't want to get burned again, then they can just sit back and watch other teams pass them by and scratch their heads as to why fans won't support their team.

The other alternative to paying this kind of money on free agents is to develop enough talent from within to fill roster holes.....and we know the Sox have been woefully inadequate in that category for the last decade.

The Sox paid quite a bit of money to retain Peavy, similar to the money Detroit paid to retain Sanchez. I don't see the two situations as being much different. Sanchez got more years, but that's because he's three or four years younger.

I don't think the Sox are a bunch of cheap asses. You can argue they don't spend their resources wisely, but they aren't acting like a small-market club either. There is plenty of high-priced talent on the roster.

I do agree the Sox have not done a good job of developing talent to fill roster holes from within. On the whole, I think the club has wasted too many financial resources on middle relievers through the years, but that has become a necessity because the farm system hasn't produced people to fill those roles.

palehozenychicty
12-17-2012, 01:25 AM
The Sox paid quite a bit of money to retain Peavy, similar to the money Detroit paid to retain Sanchez. I don't see the two situations as being much different. Sanchez got more years, but that's because he's three or four years younger.

I don't think the Sox are a bunch of cheap asses. You can argue they don't spend their resources wisely, but they aren't acting like a small-market club either. There is plenty of high-priced talent on the roster.

I do agree the Sox have not done a good job of developing talent to fill roster holes from within. On the whole, I think the club has wasted too many financial resources on middle relievers through the years, but that has become a necessity because the farm system hasn't produced people to fill those roles.

Bingo.

CoopaLoop
12-17-2012, 10:23 PM

That's not entirely fair though. 2009-2012 were all years below 4.00 ERA. In 7 seasons he has a career ERA of 3.75

SephClone89
12-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Any chance we can finally change this thread title?