PDA

View Full Version : Lofton dealt to Giants for pitching prospects

ode to veeck
07-29-2002, 05:07 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2002/07/29/SP49110.DTL

Sox end up eating part of his salary, but dumping most of it as Lofton would rather play for a contender than get the cash

The fire sale continues ...

ode to veeck
07-29-2002, 05:14 PM
The Giants sent pitchers Felix Diaz and Ryan Meaux to the White Sox in a deal complicated by incentive clauses in Lofton's contract. In return for waiving an attendance clause potentially worth $1.4 million, the Giants agreed to vest a $150,000 plate-

appearance clause that Lofton has not yet reached.

The White Sox are covering half of Lofton's remaining salary. The Giants are on the hook for only $270,000 while Lofton forfeits as much as $1.25 million to play for a contender.

"I understand money is fun to have and it's good when you have the opportunity to get it," Lofton said in a conference call. "Sometimes you have to put that aside and go with what you really feel. In my heart I've said I want to get to the playoffs. I've been to the World Series and I know what it's like. I know how fun it is to be in one. I just want the opportunity to get there again." Lofton wanted to sign with the Giants last winter but was rebuffed

Ol Aches & Pains
07-29-2002, 07:02 PM
You bastards.