PDA

View Full Version : Rolen Deal done!

Randar68
07-29-2002, 04:30 PM
PHILADELHPIA -- Scott Rolen has been traded by the Phillies to the St. Louis Cardinals, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

The Phillies will get at least infielder Placido Polanco and left-hander Bud Smith. Philadelphia might get a third player in the deal, according to sources.

The Phillies have called a 6:30 p.m. ET news conference to announce the deal.

LongDistanceFan
07-29-2002, 04:33 PM
what a burn for the scrubs and their fan based who thought they were getting him in the summer.

:gulp:

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2002, 04:34 PM
Tremendous!

I trust they've started talks on a new contract.

34 Inch Stick
07-29-2002, 05:14 PM
I feel better about the Durham trade now.

hold2dibber
07-29-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I feel better about the Durham trade now.

Why? Like Durham, Rolen is a FA at the end of the year. I know Rolen is a few years younger than Durham, but I wonder if he is much closer to the "top of the heap" among 3B than Ray is among 2B. And the Phillies are getting a guy with a ton of potential in Smith, a serviceable player in Placido and possibly another player. We got nothing for Durham.

Randar68
07-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Why? Like Durham, Rolen is a FA at the end of the year. I know Rolen is a few years younger than Durham, but I wonder if he is much closer to the "top of the heap" among 3B than Ray is among 2B. And the Phillies are getting a guy with a ton of potential in Smith, a serviceable player in Placido and possibly another player. We got nothing for Durham.

Bud Smith is a middle-of-the-pack pitching prospect. He made it this far, which is more than most, but doesn't have great stuff.

hold2dibber
07-29-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Bud Smith is a middle-of-the-pack pitching prospect. He made it this far, which is more than most, but doesn't have great stuff.

I certainly don't claim to know what I'm talking about ( :smile: ), but if I recall correctly, he had solid numbers last year and a no-hitter, which lead me to believe he has some real potential. I promise you that Jon Adkins will never pitch a no hitter in the major leagues (or in AAA, for that matter).

Randar68
07-29-2002, 05:25 PM
I promise you that Jon Adkins will never pitch a no hitter in the major leagues (or in AAA, for that matter).

Certainly can't argue with that.

Daver
07-29-2002, 05:25 PM

I certainly don't claim to know what I'm talking about ( :smile: ), but if I recall correctly, he had solid numbers last year and a no-hitter, which lead me to believe he has some real potential. I promise you that Jon Adkins will never pitch a no hitter in the major leagues (or in AAA, for that matter).

Jon Adkins will never see a major league game without buying a ticket.

TheBigHurt
07-29-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by daver

Jon Adkins will never see a major league game without buying a ticket.
i second that

Jerry_Manuel
07-29-2002, 07:01 PM

Rolen is a better player then Durham. The one thing that Rolen can do that Ray cannot is make an impact. I'd bet the farm that a lot more then one or two teams were bidding for Rolen.

Either way the Durham trade is over, move on.