PDA

View Full Version : Sox take Angel Sanchez in Rule 5

cws05champ
12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Sox took Angel Sanchez with the 17th pick in the rule 5 draft today. don't know much about him other than he is a utility infielder. Here is what Baseball America had to say:

"Former big leaguer could be an inexpensive utilityman. With 568 big league games, is a known quantity as an adequate glove that can play multiple positions. His bat showed some improvement in 2012 at Triple-A Oklahoma City."

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sanchan02.shtml

Foulke You
12-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Sounds like he was taken with an eye towards filling the Eduardo Escobar super sub role. He'll likely get a chance to compete for one of those final spots on the roster.

Bucky F. Dent
12-06-2012, 12:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/post/_/id/12972/sox-select-inf-sanchez-in-rule-5-draft

PorkChopExpress
12-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Interesting. Seems like the Sox always just ignored the Rule 5 Draft. Maybe this is one of the differences between Hahn and Williams. I never understood why they chose not to participate in this every year. Nice to see them utilizing all avenues for potential players.

XplodingScorbord
12-06-2012, 01:11 PM
If I read that article right, he has to stay on the major league roster or be offered back to the Angels, so I guess we have a pretty good idea who one of our bench players is now.

Noneck
12-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Looks like the Sox have 3 utility infielders, Beckham, Keppinger and now Sanchez.

sunofgold
12-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Seems like he has the inside track to be our utility player.. We need this since we traded BL and EE last year.

Only cost $50,000 thus low risk. Good one Hahnmeister. First rule 5 player taken since Grilli in 2003.

Foulke You
12-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Looks like the Sox have 3 utility infielders, Beckham, Keppinger and now Sanchez.
I really don't view Beckham as a utility guy. He has played only 2B for the last two seasons.

Noneck
12-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I really don't view Beckham as a utility guy. He has played only 2B for the last two seasons.

I am looking ahead to his future.

Goose
12-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Seems like he has the inside track to be our utility player.. We need this since we traded BL and EE last year.

Only cost $50,000 thus low risk. Good one Hahnmeister. First rule 5 player taken since Grilli in 2003.

Wasn't Bobby Jenks a Rule 5 guy?

VeeckAsInWreck
12-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Wasn't Bobby Jenks a Rule 5 guy?

According to baseball reference (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jenksbo01.shtml)he was claimed off waivers.

TheVulture
12-06-2012, 04:54 PM
If I read that article right, he has to stay on the major league roster or be offered back to the Angels, so I guess we have a pretty good idea who one of our bench players is now.

Nah, what's the loss if the Sox cut him? Virtually nothing.

russ99
12-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Wasn't too impressed with Sanchez in Houston, they tried to give him the everyday 2B job, and he'd never grab it, either by injury or poor performance.

Ironically, Keppinger was Sanchez's competition with the Astros in 2010.

slavko
12-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Now you've reminded me of "A Christmas Story." "Got a whole goddam team of utility infielders!" Time to get out the DVD. "Tis the season."

Tragg
12-07-2012, 12:50 AM
I don't know what we have here. I just like the fact that we drafted someone in Rule 5.

Corlose 15
12-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Now you've reminded me of "A Christmas Story." "Got a whole goddam team of utility infielders!" Time to get out the DVD. "Tis the season."

"The Sox traded Bullfrog!"

Daver
12-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Interesting. Seems like the Sox always just ignored the Rule 5 Draft. Maybe this is one of the differences between Hahn and Williams. I never understood why they chose not to participate in this every year. Nice to see them utilizing all avenues for potential players.

Meh.

If a player is available in the Rule 5 draft there is usually a reason why.

sunofgold
12-10-2012, 09:19 PM
I have a reliable source that told me he is changing his name to White Sox Sanchez.

winstonage
12-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Meh.

If a player is available in the Rule 5 draft there is usually a reason

why.

Johan Santana, Dan Uggla, Shane Victorino. All Rule 5 picks. You never know.

SoxSpeed22
12-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Sanchez is 29 and has pretty much no upside for anything else other than a good defensive infielder, those guys do come at a dime a dozen for organizations, so it's not surprising that he was unprotected. I do appreciate that Rick is trying to add more versatile players.

winstonage
12-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Sanchez is 29 and has pretty much no upside for anything else other than a good defensive infielder, those guys do come at a dime a dozen for organizations, so it's not surprising that he was unprotected. I do appreciate that Rick is trying to add more versatile players.

Sanchez has a chance to be a slight upgrade to Ray Olmeda. If he sucks in spring training, it only costs them 25 grand to send him back to the Angels.

ohiosoxfan
12-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Sanchez has a chance to be a slight upgrade to Ray Olmeda. If he sucks in spring training, it only costs them 25 grand to send him back to the Angels.

The Sox would actually RECEIVE twenty-five grand if they return him to the Angels.

winstonage
12-11-2012, 11:44 AM
The Sox would actually RECEIVE twenty-five grand if they return him to the Angels.

Your right. I was half asleep when I posted. Should have said he only cost them 25 grand.

SCCWS
12-11-2012, 12:38 PM
So the bench is now most likely Wise-Sanchez-BU Catcher-X. Johnson could be X I assume.

Lip Man 1
12-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence does it?

Sigh.....

Lip

DumpJerry
12-11-2012, 03:02 PM
So the bench is now most likely Wise-Sanchez-BU Catcher-X. Johnson could be X I assume.
Who is Johnson? Dan Johnson was granted free agency on November 30th.

sunofgold
12-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Could go with Jordan Danks. Sanchez covers IF, Dunn can backup at first. Wise and Danks in the OF.

DonnieDarko
12-12-2012, 01:33 AM
Could go with Jordan Danks. Sanchez covers IF, Dunn can backup at first. Wise and Danks in the OF.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/1163661-haha_oh_wow.jpg

Tragg
12-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Isn't the idea to try to win games?
Lord help us.

Foulke You
12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
You guys are expecting the Sox to have a bench full of all-star players? The Tigers had utility guys like Ryan Raburn, Ramon Santiago, and Don Kelly on their bench last year and won an AL Pennant. Only one of these guys hit over .200 There just aren't a ton of teams out there that can stack their bench with expensive veteran talent. Most teams fill out their roster with young players and journeyman veterans. Guys like Dwayne Wise and Angel Sanchez.

PorkChopExpress
12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
You guys are expecting the Sox to have a bench full of all-star players? The Tigers had utility guys like Ryan Raburn, Ramon Santiago, and Don Kelly on their bench last year and won an AL Pennant. Only one of these guys hit over .200 There just aren't a ton of teams out there that can stack their bench with expensive veteran talent. Most teams fill out their roster with young players and journeyman veterans. Guys like Dwayne Wise and Angel Sanchez.

Yeah, but the Tigers also had Cabrera and Fielder. We don't have that caliber of hitter in our offense anywhere. There's a difference between having a couple top notch hitters and filling in around them with young players and journeyman vets, and just having young players and journeyman vets.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Foulke:

No not All Stars but they can at least get some bona fide major leaguers who can hit oh I don't know, above say .240. Guys with experience who won't bitch about not playing every day, they are out there.

Lip

TheVulture
12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Foulke:

No not All Stars but they can at least get some bona fide major leaguers who can hit oh I don't know, above say .240. Guys with experience who won't bitch about not playing every day, they are out there.

Lip

Picking up Sanchez in the Rule 5 draft doesn't prevent the Sox from picking up other players, I don't get what there is to cry about. If the Sox didn't draft Sanchez they'd still be in the same boat, only without Sanchez around to cut in spring training.

PorkChopExpress
12-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Picking up Sanchez in the Rule 5 draft doesn't prevent the Sox from picking up other players, I don't get what there is to cry about. If the Sox didn't draft Sanchez they'd still be in the same boat, only without Sanchez around to cut in spring training.

I don't think it's about Sanchez so much as the fact that they picked up Sanchez and have not done anything else might indicate to some that the Sox do not intend to pick up other players making Sanchez the pickup, which sucks because it is something the Sox need and if this is how they address that need, that is something to cry about. Maybe I'm wrong.