PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Reinsdorf Comments on 2013 Payroll

PaleHoser
12-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Found these comments buried in this story (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121204&content_id=40528360&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws) on whitesox.com.

"White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf pointed out Tuesday night that the White Sox payroll for 2012 was higher than what has been reported. While the payroll at the start of the season was $97.7 million, by the end of the season the total figure had risen to $109 million, Reinsdorf said."

"When asked if the payroll would be at that level again in 2013, Reinsdorf said that it would be at least that much. The White Sox currently have $89.95 million committed to 10 players but still have a little more room to work when factoring in Gordon Beckham and Alejandro De Aza's arbitration and the rest of the roster."

So maybe there's some money to bring in some bats after all.

blandman
12-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Well we need the bat at 3B and there isn't a decent FA out there.

If we truly have that much, why not enter the Greinke sweepstakes? He'd be a great fit and we can sell him on our pitching coach. Then you deal Floyd for a 3B and have a dominant rotation to match Detroit.

doublem23
12-05-2012, 12:17 PM
If we truly have that much, why not enter the Greinke sweepstakes? He'd be a great fit and we can sell him on our pitching coach. Then you deal Floyd for a 3B and have a dominant rotation to match Detroit.

Probably because right now the rumors are floating that the Dodgers and Rangers are both willing to exceed CC Sabathia's record-setting contract and are in the $170-$180 M range.

The Sox don't necessarily need another top of the rotation SP (and not one that comes with an astronomical price tag). The rotation would still be very good with another middle to back of the rotation guy (McCarthy, etc.) and they'd still be able to flip Floyd.

palehozenychicty
12-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Probably because right now the rumors are floating that the Dodgers and Rangers are both willing to exceed CC Sabathia's record-setting contract and are in the $170-$180 M range.

The Sox don't necessarily need another top of the rotation SP (and not one that comes with an astronomical price tag). The rotation would still be very good with another middle to back of the rotation guy (McCarthy, etc.) and they'd still be able to flip Floyd.

McCarthy on a short deal is okay.

Reinsdorf doesn't pay that much for starting pitching.

I'd be open to Greinke. He's a strikeout pitcher, and those are needed in the postseason.

blandman
12-05-2012, 01:59 PM

A playoff rotation that went Grienke - Sale - Peavy - Danks would be something though, right? :D:

doublem23
12-05-2012, 02:26 PM
A playoff rotation that went Grienke - Sale - Peavy - Danks would be something though, right? :D:

OK, yeah, that would be incredible, but I can live with Sale/Peavy/Danks/McCarthy. That's enough horses to win a World Series.

TheVulture
12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
We don't know how McCarthy will rebound from that head shot, many pitchers have never been the same after taking a line drive off the head. I'd rather stick with Floyd along with the young arms we've already got and invest elsewhere.

aryzner
12-05-2012, 03:10 PM
We don't know how McCarthy will rebound from that head shot, many pitchers have never been the same after taking a line drive off the head. I'd rather stick with Floyd along with the young arms we've already got and invest elsewhere.

What I can tell you is that his sense of humor was unaffected.

Tragg
12-05-2012, 04:06 PM

Yea
Heck our playoff rotation last year would have been competitive. But we forgot one thing...

I like McCarthy - maybe allow us to trade ole Gavin.

getonbckthr
12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Bmac?

DeadMoney
12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Fingernails on a blackboard?

Just making sure it still works?

This sounds promising, but as others have said, I'd rather look to someone like McCarthy than spending tons of money - especially long-term - on Greinke.

WLL1855
12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Fingernails on a blackboard?

I admit. I laughed hard.

spawn
12-05-2012, 09:01 PM
We've seen what Floyd has to offer the last few years. He's got good stuff, but he is so maddeningly inconsistent. I wouldn't mind going in a different direction.