PDA

View Full Version : Sox to wear '83 uniforms on Sundays?

ChiSoxGal85
12-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Mark Giangreco on the 10 pm ABC7 News tonight said that the Sox might wear the '83 home uniforms on Sundays next year. I couldn't find that report anywhere else, though...anyone else hear that?

DSpivack
12-04-2012, 10:41 PM
If Mark Giangreco said it about the White Sox, I'm inclined to believe the opposite.

Red Barchetta
12-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Didn't they just wear those a few years ago for their throwbacks? Maybe it was in 2008 for the 25th anniversary of the 1983 team. However, since 2013 would mark the 30th anniversary, I can see the connection.

Personally, I think JR just likes the uniforms from that era as they represent his first thumbprint on the team.

SephClone89
12-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Not surprised, but...

:chunks

thomas35forever
12-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Sorry, but I love those uniforms. They look creative, unique and something I'm glad is ours.

WhiteSox5187
12-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Sorry, but I love those uniforms. They look creative, unique and something I'm glad is ours.

They are my favorites too if only because there is a photo of me at about a month old wearing that uniform.

SouthsideSox said there might be 1983 Mascot Races, so if that is the case it might lend some more credence to the White Sox wearing the '83 throwbacks.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/12/4/3728344/1983-mascot-races

Nellie_Fox
12-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Sorry, but I love those uniforms. They look creative, unique and something I'm glad is ours.There was nothing creative or unique about them. The Sox got on the ugly polyester pullover shirt, beltless pants, gaudy uniforms bandwagon just as the trend was beginning to die out. I liked the team, but hated the uniform even then.

WhiteSox5187
12-05-2012, 12:37 AM
There was nothing creative or unique about them. The Sox got on the ugly polyester pullover shirt, beltless pants, gaudy uniforms bandwagon just as the trend was beginning to die out. I liked the team, but hated the uniform even then.

I think that well over half the teams in the league were wearing pullovers by the time the White Sox introduced those uniforms in 1982. The only two teams that I can think of off the top of my head that weren't wearing pullovers were the Phillies and the Yankees. The uniforms were unique because I believe they were the only uniforms ever designed and chosen by the fan base of a team in all of American sports.

LITTLE NELL
12-05-2012, 06:26 AM
2nd worse Sox unis after Veecks of 1976 through 1981.
I don't need to see them again.
Through the 50s and 60s we had one of the best uniforms in MLB, after that it was revolving uniforms until we finally got it right again in 1991.

October26
12-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Mark Giangreco on the 10 pm ABC7 News tonight said that the Sox might wear the '83 home uniforms on Sundays next year. I couldn't find that report anywhere else, though...anyone else hear that?

I had not heard that but was thinking about this as I recently ordered a 2013 calendar. I have no issue with the 1983 uniforms and if the Sox wearing them on Sundays makes fans happy, then it's all good.

Can you believe it has been 30 years since that "Miracle on 35th" Sox team gave us all those thrills and all that heartache? I remember it like it was yesterday and boy am I feeling old this morning! Where have you gone, Britt Burns?

Madvora
12-05-2012, 07:02 AM
It's embarrassing that we have to celebrate anniversaries of years that we didn't win the World Series.

russ99
12-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Considering how many 1972 jerseys I saw at the park last year, there's definitely a merch angle to the Sunday jersey idea. Wouldn't surprise me if they went with 1983 this year.

Not a fan of that '83 style with the Expos-inspired hat and Astros-inspired jersey, but I like throwbacks in general, so that would be cool.

Railsplitter
12-05-2012, 07:56 AM
There was nothing creative or unique about them. The Sox got on the ugly polyester pullover shirt, beltless pants, gaudy uniforms bandwagon just as the trend was beginning to die out. I liked the team, but hated the uniform even then.
IIRC, the Yankees and Tigers were the only teams to forsake wearinf pullover shirts.

Procol Harum
12-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Ugh...squared. :kukoo:

Red Barchetta
12-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Through the 50s and 60s we had one of the best uniforms in MLB, after that it was revolving uniforms until we finally got it right again in 1991.

At the time, I liked the 1983 uniforms primarily because they replaced the pajama uniforms which were the laughing stock of the league. 1983 was also a fun season with the new free agent signings and first division championship so I have good memories of the uniforms.

I remember submitting a couple ideas during the uniform contest. One was a slight alteration to the 1976-1982 uniforms that got rid of the collars, tucked the shirts in, however kept the colors and block SOX caps. The other submission was using the classic SOX script logo that is on the current uniforms, however I had dark navy pinstripes with red trim on the logo to sort of match the dark navy/red look they had in the "White Sox" script uniforms from the late 80s. That was a fun contest.

KenBerryGrab
12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
IIRC, the Yankees and Tigers were the only teams to forsake wearinf pullover shirts.

The Trammell-era Tiggers wore pullovers.

http://bapple2286.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/alan-trammell-b.jpg

TheOldRoman
12-05-2012, 09:22 AM
I have been waiting for some kind of announcement on this. You'd think the Sox would announce it and make the hats and jerseys available for the Christmas shopping season. I know the Sox will have the 1983 set as an official throwback, but I'm not sure if they will plan to wear them every Sunday as they did with throwbacks in 2001 and 2012.

mark1529
12-05-2012, 10:28 AM
If Mark Giangreco said it about the White Sox, I'm inclined to believe the opposite.

:tongue::D::smile:

BigKlu59
12-05-2012, 11:31 AM

Brilliant sage minds think alike...Poor attempt at a johnny come lately fad league wide. Also made Bull Luzinski look like trying to fit 30 lbs of sausage in a 1 lb casing. Not a fave of a purist who was weaned on pinstripes and and the diagonal SOX script.

BK59

AMestan
12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WhiteSox5187
12-05-2012, 11:53 AM

The Phillies never wore a pullover.

HomeFish
12-05-2012, 01:07 PM
I've got $300 here for a 1977 throwback jersey that I can wear with shorts. The sooner the Sox get on it, the sooner they get my money.

samurai_sox
12-05-2012, 01:25 PM
I like the '83 uniforms, the only thing I hate about them is the hat,

it should have been the "batter man" logo and not the word "sox" just like on the front of the jersey.

Crestani
12-05-2012, 01:29 PM
I agree....Say it ain't so...!!!

dickallen15
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't know why so many hate the pullovers. I wish some team would bring them back and be unique. Why does everyone have to have buttons and belts?

chicagowhitesox1
12-05-2012, 02:34 PM
The Phillies never wore a pullover.

Weren't the light blue away uniforms in the 70's and 80s pullovers?

Nellie_Fox
12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I like the '83 uniforms, the only thing I hate about them is the hat,

it should have been the "batter man" logo and not the word "sox" just like on the front of the jersey.And you just came up with about the only possible way to have made that uniform even more embarrassing.

The "batter man" was not on the jersey; only on the dugout jacket.

WhiteSox5187
12-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Weren't the light blue away uniforms in the 70's and 80s pullovers?

No, they had a zipper in the front.

Red Barchetta
12-05-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't know why so many hate the pullovers. I wish some team would bring them back and be unique. Why does everyone have to have buttons and belts?

I think most players prefer the buttons/belts and that influenced the return to the more traditional style uniforms.

Red Barchetta
12-05-2012, 04:04 PM
And you just came up with about the only possible way to have made that uniform even more embarrassing.

I did like the alternate red and blue batting practice jerseys from that era. They sell those on the SOX website.

LITTLE NELL
12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Brilliant sage minds think alike...Poor attempt at a johnny come lately fad league wide. Also made Bull Luzinski look like trying to fit 30 lbs of sausage in a 1 lb casing. Not a fave of a purist who was weaned on pinstripes and and the diagonal SOX script.

BK59

How about Smokey Burgess in those 83 togs.

samurai_sox
12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
And you just came up with about the only possible way to have made that uniform even more embarrassing.

I just meant that the "batter man" should have been on the hat.

Nellie_Fox
12-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I just meant that the "batter man" should have been on the hat.I knew what you meant. That's what I was referring to when I said that was about the only way possible to make that uniform even more embarrassing. I wouldn't wear the propeller beanie home cap during those years, only the road cap. If it had the "batter man" on it, I wouldn't have gotten one at all.

Red Barchetta
12-06-2012, 06:58 AM
I was never a fan of the "batter man" logo. To me it looked like it belonged on a street sign.

BigKlu59
12-06-2012, 12:27 PM
How about Smokey Burgess in those 83 togs.

Oh Lordy Lordy... He'd look like a Range ball rollin down to first base !!! Big Klu would have to turn his into a Stanley Kowalski wife beater... No way he'd get those guns in a Chicago Park District Softball Uni..

BK59

LITTLE NELL
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
I was never a fan of the "batter man" logo. To me it looked like it belonged on a street sign.

:thumbsup:

Moses_Scurry
12-06-2012, 12:48 PM
I love those uniforms, mostly because they were worn during my formative years as a fan (I was 10 in 1983). I really hated the late '80's uniforms with the curlicue C that looked more like an e. I will never feel nostalgia for those. It doesn't help that the team was miserably bad almost the entire time they wore them.

VeeckAsInWreck
12-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I love those uniforms, mostly because they were worn during my formative years as a fan (I was 10 in 1983). I really hated the late '80's uniforms with the curlicue C that looked more like an e. I will never feel nostalgia for those. It doesn't help that the team was miserably bad almost the entire time they wore them.

There seems to be a bit of nostalgia with those. I have a Frank Thomas jersey from that model and I constantly get asked where I got it. I also see lots of people wearing that cap around town.

Red Barchetta
12-06-2012, 03:00 PM

I thought the uniforms were OK (after they removed the numbers from the pants), but I hated the caps. I remember towards the end of that era, the SOX had put together a pretty good team under Torborg and Larry Himes produced some great home-grown talent; McDowell, Ventura and Thomas to name a few. The SOX were still in the West division and although they played well against the A's, Oakland kept winning the division.

Moses_Scurry
12-06-2012, 04:02 PM
I thought the uniforms were OK (after they removed the numbers from the pants), but I hated the caps. I remember towards the end of that era, the SOX had put together a pretty good team under Torborg and Larry Himes produced some great home-grown talent; McDowell, Ventura and Thomas to name a few. The SOX were still in the West division and although they played well against the A's, Oakland kept winning the division.

As I recall, the '90 team was the last to wear the curlicues. Coincidentally it was the first year of the minidynasty. The uniforms didn't even survive the season as they started wearing the black pinstripes in the 2nd half.

Mr. Jinx
12-06-2012, 04:24 PM
At least the Sox letters aren't red last last year's throwbacks from the 70s. I just don't understand why the team would have ever designed a Sox logo in red when there's a team named the Red Sox playing in their same sport.

Goose
12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean WINNING UGLY!

TheVulture
12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
They must have changed the cut of those uniforms, because they were awful in 1983 and awesome in 2008, in my opinion.

Just compared the uniforms, one major difference which I think affects the look quite a bit is the originals had a three inch navy blue band in lieu of a belt, while the throwbacks use a belt similar to the modern uniforms. Makes a huge difference, plus the modern material compared to polyester of the original along with the looser style players wear today really improves the look.

TommyJohn
12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
At least the Sox letters aren't red last last year's throwbacks from the 70s. I just don't understand why the team would have ever designed a Sox logo in red when there's a team named the Red Sox playing in their same sport.

This again?

I maintain that they adopted red to emulate the the successful teams of the NL that wore red, particularly the Reds. But I have no proof of that, just a guess. After all, the Red Sox and Tigers won the AL in 1967-68, and in 1969 the Sox trotted out with the same design of uniform. Coincidence? Don't think so. Likewise, the "Big Red Machine" tore up the NL in 1970. The next year, the Sox trot out red uniforms.

TheVulture
12-06-2012, 05:18 PM

It makes for a cool T, particularly the one with the Chicago skyline. I actually found an original I had when I was about eight or nine years old recently and gave it to my GF's kid, he wears it all the time now. It has autographs of Kittle, Ken Williams, Thigpen and Greg Walker on the front.

Red Barchetta
12-06-2012, 05:25 PM
This again?

I maintain that they adopted red to emulate the the successful teams of the NL that wore red, particularly the Reds. But I have no proof of that, just a guess. After all, the Red Sox and Tigers won the AL in 1967-68, and in 1969 the Sox trotted out with the same design of uniform. Coincidence? Don't think so. Likewise, the "Big Red Machine" tore up the NL in 1970. The next year, the Sox trot out red uniforms.

I also read that the SOX introduced the red home pinstripes and the powder blue road uniforms (with red trim) to take advantage of color televisions becoming more popular. It was about the same time TV shows were marketing "IN COLOR" underneath broadcast shows.

God I'm old...

Red Barchetta
12-06-2012, 05:26 PM
As I recall, the '90 team was the last to wear the curlicues. Coincidentally it was the first year of the minidynasty. The uniforms didn't even survive the season as they started wearing the black pinstripes in the 2nd half.

I thought MLB allowed the SOX to wear the new black pinstripe uniforms on the last home stand to close out old Comiskey Park. Did they wear them for the entire 2nd half of the season?

WhiteSox5187
12-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I thought MLB allowed the SOX to wear the new black pinstripe uniforms on the last home stand to close out old Comiskey Park. Did they wear them for the entire 2nd half of the season?

No, it was during the last home stand that they brought out the new uniforms. I am not sure if they wore the new road uniforms in 1990 though.

Moses_Scurry
12-06-2012, 06:49 PM

I could be remembering wrong. I feel like I remember seeing a decent number of games with the new unis that year.

Frater Perdurabo
12-06-2012, 06:52 PM
I could be remembering wrong. I feel like I remember seeing a decent number of games with the new unis that year.

As I recall, the Sox wore a 1917 replica uniform sometime in mid-1990, if I am not mistaken to commemorate the anniversary of the first game at Old Comiskey. The look proved so popular that the Sox decided to wear their new 1991 uniforms during the last home series of the season.

Brian26
12-06-2012, 07:09 PM

No, it was during the last home stand that they brought out the new uniforms. I am not sure if they wore the new road uniforms in 1990 though.

They wore the new black and silver unis for the closing weekend at Old Comiskey, and they also busted out the new road jerseys for the last road trip, including that last game of the season at Fenway when Brunansky made the famous phantom catch on Ozzie's line drive into the rightfield corner which won the division for the Red Sox. I believe the game was broadcast on ESPN.

LITTLE NELL
12-06-2012, 07:10 PM

IIRC it was for just the last homestand of 1990.

Brian26
12-06-2012, 07:14 PM
As I recall, the Sox wore a 1917 replica uniform sometime in mid-1990, if I am not mistaken to commemorate the anniversary of the first game at Old Comiskey. The look proved so popular that the Sox decided to wear their new 1991 uniforms during the last home series of the season.

Those two events weren't necessarily related really. The throwback unis were worn in July in a game against the Brewers as part of the first ever MLB turn-back-the-clock day when Black Jack blew a big lead after Psycho Lyons booted an easy groundball. I think Barry Jones imploded during that game too.

The new '91 uniforms were already approved by MLB at that point. They had just been introduced a week or two earlier (somewhere buried in a box, I've got a VHS tape with Torborg wearing the new road uniform with Paciorek interviewing him on Sox Weekly on Sportschannel).

Brian26
12-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I also read that the SOX introduced the red home pinstripes and the powder blue road uniforms (with red trim) to take advantage of color televisions becoming more popular. It was about the same time TV shows were marketing "IN COLOR" underneath broadcast shows.

God I'm old...

That seems correct in the time frame. Coincidentally (or ironically), the uniform immediately prior to that had a lot of complaints due to black and white television, specifically the road uniform. I've read that the color combination on the road uniforms made it impossible to read the letters and numbers on the uniform (white letters with blue trim on the grey road jersey).

http://www.dugout-memories.com/cwhite69.jpg

Brian26
12-06-2012, 07:33 PM

The road uniforms actually had three versions that year. At some point in the middle of the season, the Sox put names on the back of the road jerseys. Didn't start out like that to begin the season though.

johnnyg83
12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
http://www.dugout-memories.com/cwhite69.jpg[/QUOTE]

I love the front of those jerseys.

WhiteSox5187
12-06-2012, 09:02 PM
http://www.dugout-memories.com/cwhite69.jpg

I love the front of those jerseys.[/QUOTE]

I prefer the pale blue ones they wore in 1967. I also like the pale blue ones they wore in 1964, those uniforms were made for the benefit of the rise of color TV.

Huisj
12-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Time flies. I was at the September 6, 2003 against the Indians where they wore the '83 uniforms to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the division title. That was Esteban Loaiza's 19th win, and also the only time I've ever seen myself clearly on highlight on Sportscenter (on Jody Gerut's homerun that was hit near where I was sitting).

Holy cow I can't believe that'll be 10 years ago soon.

Medford Bobby
12-07-2012, 06:04 PM
IIRC it was for just the last homestand of 1990.

New uniforms debut on Sept. 26, 1990. (Have that gamed taped somewhere in archives)

My last Comiskey visit was the next night Sept 27th. Frank THomas, I believe hit his first Comiskey Park home run during that game and that may be his only one there....?

Lip Man 1
12-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Hit two home runs in the original Comiskey Park, September 27 & 28, 1990 vs. Milwaukee and Seattle.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
12-08-2012, 01:12 AM

I have always liked those uniforms too. While I was a bit older than 10 in 1983, that year was a landmark year in my life, and the 1983 team was the first Sox team that actually won SOMETHING in my lifetime to date. I would welcome a Sunday home games return of the 1983 uniforms.

SMO
:gulp:

Medford Bobby
12-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Hit two home runs in the original Comiskey Park, September 27 & 28, 1990 vs. Milwaukee and Seattle.

Lip
So I saw his first Comiskey HR and his first NEW Comiskey HR at the first night game, I believe April 17, 1990.:wink:

Lip Man 1
12-08-2012, 10:32 AM
The first night game at the NEW Comiskey Park was on April 22, 1991...they beat the O's 8-7.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
12-08-2012, 10:37 AM
The first night game at the NEW Comiskey Park was on April 22, 1991...they beat the O's 8-7.

Lip

I was there that night and and caught a foul ball off the bat of Fisk and fans were offering 20 to 25 bucks for the ball because it had the Inaugural Year logo on it. Almost 22 years later it still sits in a special case in my Man Cave.

kruzer31
12-18-2012, 01:12 AM
What if they wore the 83 style but with the current silver and black colors? They would sell a boatload of those cuz most fans have the blue and red 83 jersey already

Jeff

bunkaroo
12-18-2012, 12:38 PM
What if they wore the 83 style but with the current silver and black colors? They would sell a boatload of those cuz most fans have the blue and red 83 jersey already

Jeff

Ooh - I would buy that for sure.

Medford Bobby
12-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Lip

OK, that was the date.....my first visit to our new state of the art facility. Somewhere I also ran tape on the VCR of that game too....I remember the weather was decent for a mid April evening....:D: