PDA

View Full Version : John ****ing Kruk to become third man in ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball booth

SephClone89
12-03-2012, 05:39 PM
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/12/espns-john-kruk-joins-sunday-night-baseball/

I have no idea why they insist on the goddamn three man booth. Shulman and Hershiser are great together--listening to them call the postseason on the radio was wonderful. Probably the best national team currently together. But the three man was bad with Valentine, okay but unnecessary with Francona, and now will be ridiculous with Kruk, whose presentation style will completely clash with the other two.

**** you, ESPN.

cnw8052
12-03-2012, 05:45 PM
I'd rather have Miller/Morgan back...

RKMeibalane
12-03-2012, 05:50 PM
I'd rather have Miller/Morgan back...

I would, too, despite the fact that I don't like Morgan. Miller's tendency to overdo it when pronouncing foreign names is annoying, but he's otherwise interesting to listen to. Schulman and Hershiser are a good team. Kruk isn't bad in the studio, but he's not a good fit with them for Sunday night games.

MUsoxfan
12-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Somebody give me a name of a broadcaster that isn't generally hated by most sports fans. People love to complain about anyone and everyone in the booth.

SephClone89
12-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Somebody give me a name of a broadcaster that isn't generally hated by most sports fans. People love to complain about anyone and everyone in the booth.

I just said that I love the team of Shulman and Hershiser. Most baseball fans agree with me.

Pretty much any baseball fan with a brain hates John Kruk. He's the worst thing about baseball on ESPN.

RKMeibalane
12-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Marv Albert. I don't agree with some of the choices he's made in his personal life (1997 incident), but I've always enjoyed listening to him call basketball games, as have most who've listened to him.

Jim Durham, who recently passed, was another PBP announcer whom I enjoyed, and I don't know of anyone who didn't like him.

Bob Hammel, who has followed the Indiana Hoosiers men's basketball team for decades, is another favorite of mine.

Vin Scully is well-liked by most baseball fans.

MUsoxfan
12-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I'll add John Rooney. So there's 10-20 names probably at most in the world of sports. The pickings are very slim

thomas35forever
12-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Isn't that just ducky?

hoosiersoxfan
12-03-2012, 06:32 PM

I think most people like Bob Costas

getonbckthr
12-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Has anyone actually heard Kruk call a baseball game?

Daver
12-03-2012, 06:51 PM

Vin Scully.

Lip Man 1
12-03-2012, 06:56 PM
So what is this Eastern Sports Programming Network that you speak of? Haven't watched it in years...won't start now because of another clown in the booth.

Lip

SephClone89
12-03-2012, 07:51 PM
So what is this Eastern Sports Programming Network that you speak of? Haven't watched it in years...won't start now because of another clown in the booth.

Lip

Some of us enjoy baseball and look forward to SNB at the end of every week (when it doesn't interfere with Mad Men)

SephClone89
12-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Has anyone actually heard Kruk call a baseball game?

Pretty positive he was in the booth (filling in for Hershiser, I think) during that Verlander/Sale Sunday night game during Labor Day weekend.

SI1020
12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Somebody give me a name of a broadcaster that isn't generally hated by most sports fans. People love to complain about anyone and everyone in the booth. Apparently you answered your own question.

I'll add John Rooney. So there's 10-20 names probably at most in the world of sports. The pickings are very slim

MUsoxfan
12-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Apparently you answered your own question.

Right. But my point is that outside of a very few number of guys, the masses will always complain about a broadcaster choice. Give the guy a chance. He has to be at least in the middle of the pack already

DumpJerry
12-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Somebody give me a name of a broadcaster that isn't generally hated by most sports fans.
:harry&jimmy

doublem23
12-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Luckily nobody outside of Chicago cares about the Sox so we won't have to watch too many of his games

SephClone89
12-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Luckily nobody outside of Chicago cares about the Sox so we won't have to watch too many of his games

Teal?

Granted, I don't think the Sox have a national following whatsoever, but people (not you, I imagine) seem to think the mainstream sports media has a specific vendetta against the Sox.

doublem23
12-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Teal?

Granted, I don't think the Sox have a national following whatsoever, but people (not you, I imagine) seem to think the mainstream sports media has a specific vendetta against the Sox.

The main stream sports media is a business in the business of making money, I very much doubt any of them have any real time to be staking out personal vendettas against anyone. They give people what they already want, and the Sox have only a local following. Nobody cares to watch a perennial second place also-ran.

Whitesox029
12-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Bob Costas. Vin Scully. John Rooney. Pat Hughes.
And that only took me a few seconds.

Kruk, though, is basically terrible.

Red Barchetta
12-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Hopefully Kruk will bring his emotional honesty to his game commentary. I remember a couple years ago on Baseball Tonight when they showed the "highlight" of a Cubs game when Soriano's little jump skip caused him to drop a routine, 3rd out flyball that cost the Cubs a few unearned runs. You could hear Kruk groan in the background and then the camera caught him shaking his head and rolling his eyes in disgust. Too funny! :tongue:

doublem23
12-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Bob Costas. Vin Scully. John Rooney. Pat Hughes.
And that only took me a few seconds.

I don't like 1/2 of that list.

Nellie_Fox
12-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Teal?

Granted, I don't think the Sox have a national following whatsoever, but people (not you, I imagine) seem to think the mainstream sports media has a specific vendetta against the Sox.It's not a vendetta, they just think the Sox are totally irrelevant.

FielderJones
12-04-2012, 02:26 PM
It's not a vendetta, they just think the Sox are totally irrelevant.

If the national media thought that the Cubs are totally irrelevant, I'd agree with you. Acting as if that loser franchise has any relevance whatsoever makes me lean more toward vendetta.

SephClone89
12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
If the national media thought that the Cubs are totally irrelevant, I'd agree with you. Acting as if that loser franchise has any relevance whatsoever makes me lean more toward vendetta.

The Cubs are nationally relevant because of their relatively wide fanbase, like it or not.

Mr. Jinx
12-04-2012, 02:45 PM
The Cubs are nationally relevant because of their relatively wide fanbase, like it or not.

Yeah, no matter how bad they are, the Cubs, Yankees, RSox, Cardinals, and Dodgers will always be nationally relevant due to their spread out fan bases.

DumpJerry
12-04-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm glad to see that the Cub fans' stereotype of White Sox fans having an inferiority complex is never reinforced by, well, White Sox fans.

WhiteSox5187
12-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah, no matter how bad they are, the Cubs, Yankees, RSox, Cardinals, and Dodgers will always be nationally relevant due to their spread out fan bases.

It's probably worth pointing out that they have such a spread out fan base in part because of the national coverage they get by networks such as ESPN.

AZChiSoxFan
12-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Actually, if you read the original post, the person said that Shullman and Hershiser are a great announcing team.

We're just wondering why they have to go and mess up a good thing. The answer of course, is that it's ESPN.